PDA

View Full Version : 'Old' Triumph needs help

cc rider
3rd April 2009, 02:55
Doing up a 1936 Triumph L2/1 250cc. Only a few 1000 made as I understand it. It's right on the cusp of the Turner changes from L series to the Tigers. So there's a lot of interchange with models pre & post L. As well as sizes.
I've got 350cc & 500cc parts that suit. Makes it bloody confusing as it's my first british bike.
I've got a parts catologue that I use & some pics off the internet but there was no set factory look - use what's at hand it seems. It was a race model which is the style I'm going for.

Anyways - I'm looking for possible avenues to buy & when I get them sorted out, I want to flog off some of the 500cc parts. Would appreciate any feedback.
Going to a vintage/vererans 'motorcycles only' swapmeet on Sun, it's always good value. So probably bring home more stuff.

cheers

Paul in NZ
3rd April 2009, 05:26
Not that rare - we had 5 of them in tea chests in the hallway of our flat in the 70's. Gave em away when we got sick of stubbing our toes on the poxy things.

There was a race model but it was called something else other than L2/1.

Nice little bikes, well regarded in the day, they go quite well.

cc rider
3rd April 2009, 10:49
After over 30yrs of nuisance value they're hard to find the parts for now :laugh:

Everyone seems to have had one, but not able to tell me much about them - memorable huh!

My correction - I should say there was a race version - a factory 'standard' with optional race mods. Prob renamed. There seems to have been overlaps in production runs of the 2/1; L2/1; 2/5 & T70 -

Anywho, I'm just going to build it into what I want it to be, as going all original isn't an option.

cheers
cc

Motu
3rd April 2009, 17:59
I had the 350 model,it was a Val Page design,and looks very much like a BSA B31 engine,which he also designed.The 71mm bore size also appeared in the 650 Triumph....it must of had special meaning to him....

There were lots of the 350 model made for military use in WWII,but the factory was bombed and all the tooling for that model lost....so kinda rare on that point.But all Triumph bits for those years and later fit....or can be fudged to fit.

I never got mine together - put the engine together with a 650 piston,but never got as far as putting the frame together.I sold it just at that time these old farts came out of the woodwork and wanted to restore these old wrecks.If they wanted to pay me money for something that was given to me,I didn't think I should make a fuss about it.