PDA

View Full Version : Where would YOU live?

mujambee
4th April 2009, 05:21
As an extension of this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=96301), I feel curious what people would choose.

Suppose you work for an international company that offers you the option to work wherever you like in the world. You'd be relocated there, with a good salary but nothing to make you rich, and no paid come back.

Where would you choose and why?

CookMySock
4th April 2009, 05:47
Thats a hard question even for we who live here. Really you would need to spend some time here looking around. The place isn't enormous, so you can trip around easily, or come on holiday for a month and get the feel of NZ.

Steve

JacksColdSweat
4th April 2009, 06:29
That depends really

Long term I only want to live in NZ - I love it here and it's where I want to raise my family

But short term - I'd choose to live somewhere mad - I liked Kolkta in India... I'd go back there

Or perhaps somewhere in Kahza...kazak... borat's home...

Somewhere almost completely nothing like here...

naphazoline
4th April 2009, 07:10
I'm happy right where i am.
On the doorstep of the Forgotten highway!!!>:)

portokiwi
4th April 2009, 07:17
Anywhere... I would move to Portugal. Its at the bottom of Europe so you can only go up. Or jump on the ferry and go to the African continents.
I found the place so relaxed and reminded me so much of NZ. So when I brought Gabby here she wasnt too home sick. The roads are realy good for riding and Great weather.:niceone:

Conquiztador
4th April 2009, 09:07
I lived my first 28 years in Scandinavia. I loved it there. The biker culture, the good income, the ability to be in Europe and on the continent in a few hours. But I HATED the winters. 6 months of no riding (apart from when you decided "fuck the snow and ice. I ride anyway...").

I do love NZ. It has all I need. And my boys are growing up here in most probably the best place in the world for kids. But we are so far away from everywhere. No way to jump on the bike and go to another country. Always fly everywhere.

But if I did not have the boys and I could take any place I would pick Italy. I like the Italian passion, the roads, the climate, that it does not get too cold, that it is part of Europe, close to everywhere. And I would live in a small town on the Italian Riviera. Close to Monaco.

Where do I send my CV???

Beemer
4th April 2009, 09:24
After spending last weekend in the Coromandel and loving it, I think I'd pick there! Although I love parts of the world for holidays, I don't think I'd want to live anywhere other than in NZ.

jonbuoy
4th April 2009, 09:38
Horses for Courses mate, NZ is great cheapish housing, great lifestyle, low cost of living but ultimately that wasn't enough for me. I never thought I'd leave NZ but the pull of family ties brought me back to Europe and meeting an awesome woman here has made me want to stay. Great weather, great food and a short flight home to see my family - but over a THREEquarters of a million dollars for a town house on Mallorca :shit: Bring on the housing crash :dodge:

Tank
4th April 2009, 10:12
I do work for a international company and have had the opportunity to relocate to London (again), Atlanta or Tallahassee (Capital of Florida) in the US.

I have worked in most European capitals, Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, Chicago, San Francisco on many occasions.

2 years ago I worked in Sydney for 3 days a week for about a year.

Yet - after all that I work in the one location that pays me the least at the end of the month - Auckland.

And me and my family are richer for it. I would never want to live in any other country.

Headbanger
4th April 2009, 10:25
Anywhere apart from Auckland.

Big Dave
4th April 2009, 10:50
I spent a week in Whanganui one afternoon.
Auckland. I find it's the most convenient place logistically for controlling the motorcycle industry. :-)

Headbanger
4th April 2009, 11:34
I'm relocating to Invercargill for the winter...I hear its a great place to work through the recession.

Brian d marge
4th April 2009, 11:51
Strange this thread should pop up ,

I was listening to the National program the other day ,,,my place ,, Hunterville

So I jumped onto Google earth , street view and one place led to another.

Having lived in CHCH for a while , I thought naaa , something new , this led to Culverden ,,,, etc ...

Then I thought why not ask ,,,For me i need

No crime .( not one single patch to be seen , no hoodies ,,nothing)
cheap house with a little land ( little as is anything bigger than what I have in Tokyo)
A Job ( either something completely different , or same profession ,)
Internet ,,,, NO 56k is not internet its torture
some sort of health care

What does the panel recommend

Stephen
As for living in other parts of the world ..thery are all the same at the end of the day ,,home is where the heart is ,,, but it is easy livin here ,,really is ..( Japan )

Number One
4th April 2009, 17:22
Definitely Brazil :blip:

http://www.bangladsblog.com/uploaded_images/Carlinhos-Freire-703514.jpghttp://www.papermag.com/blogs/june24-duda-2.jpghttp://madeinbrazilmag.com/fashion/models/carlosfreire-paradise-1.jpg

Brian d marge
5th April 2009, 00:34
Definitely Brazil :blip:

http://www.bangladsblog.com/uploaded_images/Carlinhos-Freire-703514.jpg

Hell yeah......

but for differing reasons........

LBD
5th April 2009, 01:05
Or perhaps somewhere in Kahza...kazak... borat's home...

Somewhere almost completely nothing like here...

I can tell you first hand Kahza...kazak... borat's home is nothing like NZ...I live next door in Kerg... kyger... kyrger tween Borat's place and China. If I take the job out of the equation, it is a good place to visit but not a place to live by choice.

For me, Norway maybe or NW coast of Ireland.... I am fickle however and next week I may say south coast of Spain....

LBD
26th April 2009, 01:03
I can tell you first hand Kahza...kazak... borat's home is nothing like NZ...I live next door in Kerg... kyger... kyrger tween Borat's place and China. If I take the job out of the equation, it is a good place to visit but not a place to live by choice.

For me, Norway maybe or NW coast of Ireland.... I am fickle however and next week I may say south coast of Spain....

South Coast of Spain....Nuh. Roads are good but crowds too big and to many...Dutch/Germans, English/Irish/Russians and .....not many Spanish. Did find the Spanish friendly however....

mujambee
26th April 2009, 08:42
South Coast of Spain....Nuh. Roads are good but crowds too big and to many...Dutch/Germans, English/Irish/Russians and .....not many Spanish. Did find the Spanish friendly however....

There are a few good places to live there, but I agree with you; too many Europeans get their retirement funds and find a home there, and Russian Maffias are all over the place.

There are awesome riding areas there, though (Including Jerez racetrack). Could you visit that route I sent you?

Kiwi Graham
26th April 2009, 08:47
I love it just where I am.
Have done a fair bit of traveling and always Always look forward to getting home.

McJim
26th April 2009, 08:59
Glasgow.

Affordable housing, great shops, mountains within an hour, skiing within an hour and a half, beaches not too far away, wonderful architecture, 3 sports stadia each seating 55,000+, scenery on your doorstep, proper curry, proper beer, free museums, free art galleries, huge public parks, an international airport with LOTS of destinations, Europe on your doorstep and a Ducati Dealership.

The only down side is the weather. You just need to dress for it.

Grizzo
26th April 2009, 09:51
Somewhere near the pit lane at Monza:wari:

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
26th April 2009, 14:58
I would NEVER live in the South Island - too wet and cold. Definitely prefer warmer climes. I'm still sussing out where lol.

LBD
26th April 2009, 19:30
I would NEVER live in the South Island - too wet and cold. Definitely prefer warmer climes. I'm still sussing out where lol.

Only cause you got stuck in Franz in a downpour.....

davereid
26th April 2009, 20:58
I would NEVER live in the South Island - too wet and cold.

Someone who lives in Wellington saying the south is too wet and cold ?

Methinks you have bumped your head.

Most of the top of the south island has a climate to die for. Try Golden Bay, or Nelson.

Just watch the weather report. (Not the weather prediction - watch the bit where they tell you what actually happened !)

You will find a climate as good as anywhere in the world.

And lots of germans who wear sandles, and think they can pinch the best seat by putting a bag on it then going to look for a better seat.

LBD
26th April 2009, 21:40
Glasgow.

Affordable housing, great shops, mountains within an hour, skiing within an hour and a half, beaches not too far away, wonderful architecture, 3 sports stadia each seating 55,000+, scenery on your doorstep, proper curry, proper beer, free museums, free art galleries, huge public parks, an international airport with LOTS of destinations, Europe on your doorstep and a Ducati Dealership.

The only down side is the weather. You just need to dress for it.

Is Spring in Kz.....:rockon:

Just did our shopping, heaps of nuts, fresh fruit and vegies...(Cherries and strawberries) kg nz mussels, 30L drinking water etcetc....Less than $100 (For two)

Glascow weather? Must be a close tie with Invercargill....

YellowDog
26th April 2009, 21:51
The best place in the world to live is on the side of a mountain somehwere in Tuscany.

Who needs to work?

That's what wives are for..................

MisterD
26th April 2009, 21:56
Anywhere... I would move to Portugal.

Yup, more specifically Porto...great wine, great roads and fresh sardines...

Glasgow.

Clatty Pat's and the Drum & Monkey and it's handy for the distilleries...but nah, I'll take Portuagal...

peasea
26th April 2009, 22:13
As an extension of this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=96301), I feel curious what people would choose.

Suppose you work for an international company that offers you the option to work wherever you like in the world. You'd be relocated there, with a good salary but nothing to make you rich, and no paid come back.

Where would you choose and why?

The Vatican. Little boys..............

Rayray401
26th April 2009, 22:28
Austria! or northern coastline between france and spain

LBD
26th April 2009, 22:35
The Vatican. Little boys..............

you sick little puppy.....

mujambee
26th April 2009, 22:46
northern coastline between france and spain

I grew up there (San Sebastian), and wouldn't recommend it. Far too rainy and wet for my taste.

fire eyes
26th April 2009, 23:20
NZ

North Island

Prefer Wellington.

Happy to holiday in most places in the world (never been anywhere cept Brissy)

But definitely coming home to settle.

No place like home they reckon ... and they're right. In my world anyway.

LBD
26th April 2009, 23:28
I grew up there (San Sebastian), and wouldn't recommend it. Far too rainy and wet for my taste.

West coasts in front of mountains are always wet....

NZ

But definitely coming home to settle.

No place like home they reckon ... and they're right. In my world anyway.

Home is not where you are born, home is the place where a man is prepared to die...(Graeme Conners)

fire eyes
26th April 2009, 23:45
Home is not where you are born, home is the place where a man is prepared to die...(Graeme Conners)

One of those most moving things I have heard for a very long time. Thankyou.

And no place I would rather die .. than in New Zealand.