PDA

View Full Version : Driving lights on a 1250 Bandit?

OLD MAN BJ
4th April 2009, 22:24
Hi Guys,
I wanted to put a couple of driving lights on my 1250 Bandit, ( 2 x 55w ) and just couldn't find any info about the spare watts available. Has anybody who owns a 1250 done this, and if so have you experienced any problems? Its not only for extra vision at night but also to assist visibility during the day, although I will wire them independantly.

Any thoughts appreciated,
John

LBD
5th April 2009, 03:32
Hi Guys,
I wanted to put a couple of driving lights on my 1250 Bandit, ( 2 x 55w ) and just couldn't find any info about the spare watts available. Has anybody who owns a 1250 done this, and if so have you experienced any problems? Its not only for extra vision at night but also to assist visibility during the day, although I will wire them independantly.

John
Before you do, I was looking at this my self for nigh time riding, then tried the new Hella H4 + 90% globe...Found it gives more than enough light for me..

OLD MAN BJ
5th April 2009, 09:28
Thanks, I already have the lights (gift) so would like to mount them. If nobody has this actual setup, maybe the electrical gurus could tell me if there is a way to tell if the battery would still be charged using a voltmeter or something?
John

ynot slow
5th April 2009, 09:50
Hi Guys,

John

Was going to say try the upgraded bulbs H7 plus 50 or 80's if you can get them in,I went to www.powerbulbs.com.

xgnr
5th April 2009, 15:10
Hi Guys,

John

Hi there

I am sure that there are a number of posts on this subject so try a bit of searching. The risk are that your alternator wont be able to put out enough juice and that the wiring cant handle the current and will melt. Might be best to add a relay and avoid this.

If you want to know if you are putting enough current to keep your battery charged then measure the voltage between the terminals when the engine is running. (my old BMW was putting out 13.4v at 3000 RPM - redline at 9000 I think, put the lights on with grips etc running and this went down to about 12.6V which was enough to keep the battery charged)

Good luck

Stu

OLD MAN BJ
5th April 2009, 17:12
Thanks for that. I am definately going to use a relay and extra heavy wire from the battery. I'll connect them up and then measure the voltage at the battery terminals.
John