PDA

View Full Version : Time to give it up?

Paul in NZ
6th April 2009, 20:46
Whens the right time to give it up?? (motorbikes OR riding)

Trudes
6th April 2009, 20:48
When it isn't fun or enjoyable any more. (Or you're so dangerous that it's only a matter of time before you kill yourself or someone else, but most people don't realise that until it's too late)

James Deuce
6th April 2009, 20:49
When you can't be bothered anymore. When kayaking and fishing feels more fulfilling.

Or your bike got blown over and it's in the shop and you can't ride. But that's not really giving up.

Jantar
6th April 2009, 20:50
When you ned someone to help you get on and off the bike. :devil2:

Ixion
6th April 2009, 21:08
When you ned someone to help you get on and off the bike. :devil2:

That's no excuse. That would rule out the majority of the Ulysses Club.

Give it up - when they nail the lid down on me. Seriously, there's no real reason to give up riding nowadays, or at any rate no more than there is driving. With electric starters and all that, even chicks can ride nowadays, so old buggers certainly can.

Crasherfromwayback
6th April 2009, 21:10
When you're dead and buried.

BarBender
6th April 2009, 21:12
What BB said - When the thrill is gone...

Madness
6th April 2009, 21:13
When you can't get your leathers on over the top of the incontinence pants. :whistle:

NordieBoy
6th April 2009, 21:21
With electric starters and all that, even chicks can ride nowadays, so old buggers certainly can.

Wait a minute.
Chicks can ride?

It was bad enough when they got the vote!

Paul in NZ
7th April 2009, 07:04
When you can't be bothered anymore. When kayaking and fishing feels more fulfilling.

Hmm.... You a mind reader or something?

or

Might be time for a new project perhaps???

Paul in NZ
7th April 2009, 07:06
Wait a minute.
Chicks can ride?

It was bad enough when they got the vote!

Exactly...

2 world wars

the great depression

vietnam

the mess in slovakia, afganistan and iraq....

The mafia, drugs and countless genocides etc ALL since women got the vote..

The current banking crisis as well... Coincidence? I think not... :whistle:

Trudes
7th April 2009, 07:09

Get a perm.

Str8 Jacket
7th April 2009, 07:13

or

Buy a 2 stroke. They're ongoing projects and you'll never get bored! Angry is different to bored right?

Get a perm.

I agree...

Duke girl
7th April 2009, 08:16
A few things that would make 1 give up riding would be having a serious accident which has left you with a disability that has stopped you from ever riding again, loss of confindence in riding, thru experiencing too many bad near misses on the road, having a family and not having the time to ride or go out with your mates on weekend rides which has happened to the best of us at some time in our lives. Not having the money to repair damage to your bike after binning it so therefore the bike just sits in the garage untouched. And having a partner who gives you the altimatum either the bike goes or I go and we all know what the answer to that is now don't we?. :msn-wink::bleh:

Patch
7th April 2009, 08:16
when ya willy falls off

what sort of a dumb question is that? :weird: mid-life crisis getting ya down huh

RC1
7th April 2009, 08:37

what he said :headbang:

3umph
7th April 2009, 08:38

or

it happens from time to time when interest in a pass time fades out.... some time the worst thing you can do it totally get rid of that pass time..ie: your motorbike because situations change and 6 months down the track you may regret selling your bike...

have a break, park up the bike in the garage under a cover and re access it down the track if it is something you are going to re kindle or regret doing...

Me... I have been in a similar situation with jet boating... luckily I did not sell the boat and after a 2 year layoff with the boat taking up room in the garage Now I am getting back into it... so glad I did not sell my boat and all my boating gear as it would of costed shit loads to get all the gear back again...

So my advice would be if you feel like that then have a break and put the bike in storage with rego on hold... give it time before you decide to get rid of everything...

James Deuce
7th April 2009, 08:39

or

A. Yes.

B. Yes. Thing is once I get into a project I find the project more fun than the riding. Weird, eh? Massively satisfying to produce a rideable bike that's better than the state you found it in, but it leaves you going, "Right! Next!".

vifferman
7th April 2009, 08:42
what sort of a dumb question is that?
Ack, Shirley - I thought it was a good question.
I've asked myself that a few times.
My mind isn't as sharp as it used to was (too many prescription droogz in the last 10 years, and too much booze in the last 35), and there've been times when I wonder if I'm alert enough and "on to it" enough to be riding. Yes, yes, I know that means I'm still 235% better than your average moron D'Auckland driver, but is that enough?
Also, for one reason or t'other, I haven't done a weekend ride for AGES, and that was the first in a very long time. There's always some reason: I'm too busy, I've got no friends, it's too hot/cold/wet, the moon's in thw rong phase, I can't be bothered, communtering every day has put me off, blah blah blah...

It's the same with bikes - I love test-riding bikes, but haven't done one for over four years: I shouldn't do it if I have no intention of buying (Huh - that's how I bought my current bike!), dunno what to try, the salesman might mock by scruffy looking paint, blah blah blah.

And track days - I've been to only one, and it was about 10 years ago. It was fanatastic! One of my Best days Ever!
Yet... even thouh my insuarnce allows for it, I'm scared I'll bin it, and there's lots of reasons to not go...

Have I just lost my biking mojo?:confused:

FJRider
7th April 2009, 08:50
Thoughts of giving up motorcycling generally race through your head, whilst in the process of binning your bike. Those thoughts are usually accompanied by thoughts of..... this is going to hurt/I might die.... or thoughts of similar...

Such thoughts usually disappear when you survive ... or die...

vifferman
7th April 2009, 09:17
Thoughts of giving up motorcycling generally race through your head, whilst in the process of binning your bike. Those thoughts are usually accompanied by thoughts of..... this is going to hurt/I might die.... or thoughts of similar...

Such thoughts usually disappear when you survive ... or die...
Well.... that's only happened to me once, when I binned my VFR750, and was lying on the road in pain, thinking "Man! This sucks!!"
I was all set to give it away - even got as far as test-driving a car twice. When it came to signing the paper, I realised I wasn't quite done yet. I've had about 6 more years of fun since then.

FJRider
7th April 2009, 09:25
Well.... that's only happened to me once

Only once .... Lucky bugger... I've lost count...

Its sorta like waking up with a really bad hangover... the never again thoughts... 'till the next time...

rosie631
7th April 2009, 09:31
When you can't get your leg over...

duckonin
7th April 2009, 09:49
it happens from time to time when interest in a pass time fades out.... some time the worst thing you can do it totally get rid of that pass time..ie: your motorbike because situations change and 6 months down the track you may regret selling your bike...

have a break, park up the bike in the garage under a cover and re access it down the track if it is something you are going to re kindle or regret doing...

Me... I have been in a similar situation with jet boating... luckily I did not sell the boat and after a 2 year layoff with the boat taking up room in the garage Now I am getting back into it... so glad I did not sell my boat and all my boating gear as it would of costed shit loads to get all the gear back again...

So my advice would be if you feel like that then have a break and put the bike in storage with rego on hold... give it time before you decide to get rid of everything...

Good advice and so very true....

Finn
7th April 2009, 09:58
Wait a minute.
Chicks can ride?

Technically speaking, yes. However, on a more practical level they just manage to keep their balance between toilet stops.

Fatjim
7th April 2009, 10:32
Shit they must hate it not being able to bitch to someone when they're riding.

Disco Dan
7th April 2009, 11:20
When I sold my bikes and got a car I was really stoked for a while - then I started wanting another bike again. Realistically I cannot afford to buy and maintain one as well as a car so the choice sits with the car.

I have recently just got back in touch with a very old and dear friend - we lost touch about the time I started riding a few years back. He has just told me he did it on purpose as he was scared of losing a friend to a bike accident.

The practicality of a car as well as the relief of others that I no longer risk my life on a motorbike is well worth it.

Keep the bike - de reg it, put it away somewhere safe and show it to your grandkids one day ;)

James Deuce
7th April 2009, 11:23
Keep the bike - de reg it, put it away somewhere safe and show it to your grandkids one day ;)

He's got Grandkids now.

Now bugger off cage driver and never darken these halls again.

Ixion
7th April 2009, 12:05
When I sold my bikes and got a car I was really stoked for a while - then I started wanting another bike again. Realistically I cannot afford to buy and maintain one as well as a car so the choice sits with the car.

I have recently just got back in touch with a very old and dear friend - we lost touch about the time I started riding a few years back. He has just told me he did it on purpose as he was scared of losing a friend to a bike accident.

The practicality of a car as well as the relief of others that I no longer risk my life on a motorbike is well worth it.

He either fears his fate too much
Or his desserts are small
That durst not put it to the touch
To win or lose at all

35tickets
7th April 2009, 13:05
When you're dead lol

Paul in NZ
7th April 2009, 16:19
Get a perm.

Had one - didn't suit it....

Paul in NZ
7th April 2009, 16:30
When you're dead lol

Yes well, part of this is trying to prevent my early demise or worse, injuring someone I love or even a stranger (although nothings stranger than loving me)...

I am experiencing some health issues that potentially make riding dangerous to me and possibly to others (my primary concern). I went for a spin the other day and while it was fun, the stress of this made it a lot less fun than it should be. I've not got a concrete diagnosis so please don't ask (it wont be shared here, this is enough) yet. But it has currently eroded my conidence slightly which is an odd feeling because I've never really felt worried at all on a bike... Worse, I'm so busy monitoring this internal thing I'm not being as aware of the external things.

Its not nice riding knowing you are doing it poorly.

Early days but does anyone want an 850 lemans?

Beemer
7th April 2009, 17:24
I know how you feel as I'm seriously thinking of selling my bike now. I used to love riding and wouldn't need any excuse to get the bike out and go for a ride. Over the past couple of years I lost motivation and I've also had a bit of neck pain caused by the riding position of the Goose. Another reason is I now need glasses and I find it hard to get them in the right spot under the helmet so I can see through them clearly!

Also, I got the Corvette for my birthday and - I know I'll get flack for this comment - as I've always been more of a car fan than a bike fan (although I do love bikes), I feel it's time to indulge my passion for classic cars. I'll still be involved with bike clubs and go on the back with my husband, but now we also have a new hobby. For him it's in addition to the bikes, but for me it will be instead of. Life changes, your outlook changes - and sometimes it's the right thing to do.

I took the bike for a ride last weekend and although I enjoyed it, I didn't get off at the end thinking "no way am I selling this baby" - it was more "yes, been there, done that, want to step away for a while". I may get a dual purpose bike (something like a little XRB200 would be perfect) that is light and which I can also ride off road, but then again I may just remain a pillion, because at the moment I'm getting the buzz I used to get from riding from driving the Corvette. And I can't really afford both!

greminn
7th April 2009, 17:25
Get a perm.

Do it dog!

tri boy
7th April 2009, 17:33
Concentrate on your health issues Paul.
Park the bike in the garage, (but go out and admire it).
When your feeling up to riding again, do it.
The rides may become less epic than those of years before, but no less enjoyable when your in the mood. MHO

FROSTY
7th April 2009, 17:38
Lying in hopital awhile ago I thought i'd accepted in a screaming and kicking kinda way that i wouldn't be able to ride again. Doctors telling me no no no -and for very good reason too I might add.
But I just can't stop, its the worst or best kinda addiction.
I think maybee that's the answer Paul. maybee when you just dont feel that need to ride or tinker. I think its not a sudden thing Its more a slow creeping reduction in your ride time.
Or maybee its just time as you say for a new project.

Rob Taylor
7th April 2009, 17:50
I reckon its something you dont plan.It will just happen when the time comes..:crybaby:..So dont stress over it,go ride your bike & enjoy & dont tell us when you stop cause we dont want to know...OK:Oops:

Paul in NZ
7th April 2009, 17:59
I reckon its something you dont plan.It will just happen when the time comes..:crybaby:..So dont stress over it,go ride your bike & enjoy & dont tell us when you stop cause we dont want to know...OK:Oops:

Now thats a really sensible post.... :yes:

Hmmmmmmmmm - but a new project..... Hmmmmmmmm (thinking sitting in bed after another trip to ED)

Gareth51
7th April 2009, 18:01
Ya bike might be old,but you're just a young fella...Might be time for a new bike

Rob Taylor
7th April 2009, 18:03

Hmmmmmmmmm - but a new project..... Hmmmmmmmm (thinking sitting in bed after another trip to ED)

Ive been called alot of things in my life,but not sensible:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trudes
7th April 2009, 18:31
Do it dog!

The time for biscuit is upon us!!

laRIKin
7th April 2009, 18:59
When you are still having any sort of fun and are just thinking about it.
You can still ride and enjoy it for what is.
You maybe slower and not as sharp, but that does not mean you have to stop.
Just slow down to a speed you can enjoy.

When the time is right, you will just stop with out being told or even thinking about it.
You will just one day see a dusty bike in the corner.
and go "O yeah I use to ride that"

Kiwi Graham
7th April 2009, 19:00

I'm not sure there is going to be a right or wrong time, I think you will just know when that time comes. My 'passion' waxes and wains but I never stop enjoying riding (rain or shine). I hope the day for me to "give up"is a long long way off, but I'll listen to my body and my family when that day comes.

Ms Piggy
7th April 2009, 19:27

When it isn't fun or enjoyable any more.
Wot she said. Or those pondering this question could just take a break and put their bike(s) rego on hold.

chrispy121
7th April 2009, 19:48
Exactly...

2 world wars

the great depression

vietnam

the mess in slovakia, afganistan and iraq....

The mafia, drugs and countless genocides etc ALL since women got the vote..

The current banking crisis as well... Coincidence? I think not... :whistle:

beside the current one the depression that you can no longer look out the window and think shit I can go ride the twisties today

ratusratus
7th April 2009, 20:06
if ya think of giving up go buy a car
you deserve each other:2guns:

P38
7th April 2009, 20:07

About the same time you suck your last breath. :yes:

Paul in NZ
7th April 2009, 20:17
if ya think of giving up go buy a car
you deserve each other:2guns:

Sorry - not following you at all on that one????

Mort
7th April 2009, 21:10

Mort
7th April 2009, 21:12
I met a bloke in Taupo a couple of weeks back. He rode a Hornet 900. He was 83 years old. Been riding all his life. Looked good (for his age) and was witty, interesting and alert. A real pleasure to talk to.

I told my missus about him. She said "he's a bit old to be riding a bike don't you think ?"... I replied that it's probably riding a bike which has kept him so fit for his age.

Think not what you can do on the bike.... think what the bike can do for you.

SARGE
7th April 2009, 21:18

sorry big guy ... someone had to say it ....

they come with air bags now too.....:Pokey:

pritch
7th April 2009, 21:20
Some very creative responses..

I'm old enough to be contemplating changes in the next few years. I'd definitely like to keep riding but may have to get bikes more suited to someone with diminishing physical (and mental?) capability.

There are Ulysses members that ride scooters rather than give it away totally. I'd seriously consider that too if I had to.

There was a really ancient codger turned up to a function, he was unsteady on his feet and absolutely frightening on a bike. I parked it for him - he couldn't do it, and anytime he had his feet down he looked like he was about to drop it.

He was telling me that once on an intercity trip he pulled up at a set of lights in a busy town on SH1 and his gear lever stuck, he reached down to work it by hand and just slowly toppled over in the middle of the road.

It seems unkind but I think he was past his motorcycling use by date... Definitely on that bike anyway.

And Paul, best wishes for a recovery from the health problem.

Box'a'bits
7th April 2009, 21:28
Sometimes your desire to ride again is stimulated by riding a different bike or styles of bike. Someone suggested scooters (got one), or lighter bikes. Some Ulysses members have gone to trikes when their balance failed.

I get quite a lot of pleasure just pottering around the bike at times. There have been periods where I haven't riden for an age (for a number of reasons), but suddenly come back to it with a vengance. Keeping a bike around need not be expensive - you can put rego on hold.

Bikes are too much a part of my life to give away totally. I can accept that there are other ways to enjoy them though...;)

James Deuce
7th April 2009, 21:30
And Paul, best wishes for a recovery from the health problem.

That's more like it. That's the kernel of the message being delivered and I would have thought a community would be a bit more sensitive and supportive.

Having had a whole bunch of issues and actually dropping my bike just down the road from Paul's place after not long being out of hospital I know how he feels - a little bit.

He's done more than anyone I can think of to help people in all sorts of ways, not just biking related stuff, and deserves better than comments about riding until you die, or snide remarks about cars.

SARGE
7th April 2009, 22:02
That's more like it. That's the kernel of the message being delivered and I would have thought a community would be a bit more sensitive and supportive.

Having had a whole bunch of issues and actually dropping my bike just down the road from Paul's place after not long being out of hospital I know how he feels - a little bit.

He's done more than anyone I can think of to help people in all sorts of ways, not just biking related stuff, and deserves better than comments about riding until you die, or snide remarks about cars.

totally agree JD..

Paul .. let me relate a bit of a personal story to ya ..

my dad has Vascular Dementia ( Alzheimers on steroids).. his mind is going away more every day and he is a mere shade of his former self ..

i showed him pix of my FJ and i saw a spark light up in his eyes.. he's still a biker

if i go down that road( likely) i am going to tell my wife to hand me the bike keys and im going out on my terms .. doing what i love to do..

fishing .. boating .. knitting .. whatever .. youre never too old to do what you love .. even if its just sitting on it in the shed and making engine sounds

Bend-it
8th April 2009, 10:22
Thing is once I get into a project I find the project more fun than the riding. Weird, eh? Massively satisfying to produce a rideable bike that's better than the state you found it in, but it leaves you going, "Right! Next!".

Tell ya what... I'll be your newest buddy, and give you a hand with all that dreary riding bollocks... I supply you with clapped out dunger, you have all the fun of doing them up, then I'll do the dreary riding from then, deal? :hug:

Bend-it
8th April 2009, 10:31
Yes well, part of this is trying to prevent my early demise or worse, injuring someone I love or even a stranger (although nothings stranger than loving me)...

I am experiencing some health issues that potentially make riding dangerous to me and possibly to others (my primary concern). I went for a spin the other day and while it was fun, the stress of this made it a lot less fun than it should be. I've not got a concrete diagnosis so please don't ask (it wont be shared here, this is enough) yet. But it has currently eroded my conidence slightly which is an odd feeling because I've never really felt worried at all on a bike... Worse, I'm so busy monitoring this internal thing I'm not being as aware of the external things.

Its not nice riding knowing you are doing it poorly.?

Kudos for seeing it this way... Riding is about freedom and enjoyment, so when you ride because you feel like you should because you're a "biker", then it defeats the purpose. All the biking bravado around here is just that bravado, and you are no less (or more) of a person whether you ride or not.

So yeah, relax about it... if you don't get the right feel, then don't go. If you do, then go for it... until the doctors tell you definitely one way or the other...

vifferman
8th April 2009, 12:25
I am experiencing some health issues that potentially make riding dangerous to me and possibly to others (my primary concern). I went for a spin the other day and while it was fun, the stress of this made it a lot less fun than it should be.... But it has currently eroded my conidence slightly which is an odd feeling because I've never really felt worried at all on a bike... Worse, I'm so busy monitoring this internal thing I'm not being as aware of the external things.
Although I'm not you, and your experience is different, I do know Eggs Zachary how you feel.
I remember riding and feeling VERY switched on, VERY aware and alert, in complete control. Lately the "VERYs" have somehow morphed into "MOSTLY" or even "SOMEWHAT". Like I said - still probably/possibly 235% better'n yer average D'Aucklandriver, but it's enough to dilute the riding experience and give one pause.

Talking of which (sort of) - I've fuktmyback. Stayed home the last tow days, then decided I'd go to work, of for no other reason than I was bored at home, and tired of the Marge Simpson-esque noises of disapproval from the vifferbabe. (What? Is one not allowed to use one's sick leave when one is not fit for work?!?) So, I set off for work this morning in the car, and got about 3 or 4 hundred metres before turning back. I girded my loins for wet weather, and set off again on the VFR. Still hurts, but the strange thing is that riding a bike is so totally engaging that it's easier to ignore the pain.
Strange, but I guess it's a large part of the allure. It's why I persisted with communtering by bike despite nearly being squished by a bus the very first time I tried it in D'Auckland: love the alertness it engenders. Much better'n a double espresso.

caseye
8th April 2009, 21:35
You'll know when it's time.
If it is, it is! Ya can't argue with fate, but you can tempt it for a bit longer and see if it bites.or not.

Shadows
8th April 2009, 22:22

Its not nice riding knowing you are doing it poorly.

Early days but does anyone want an 850 lemans?

Nothing worse than being preoccupied or worried about stuff when riding, especially when one's health is concerned.

Myself? If I found my confidence knocked back like you mentioned I wouldn't be ignoring it, that's your intuition, subconscious, or whatever you want to call it sending you a pretty clear message.

I'd be parking the bikes up until I found myself in a better headspace and / or I knew for sure whether or not I could carry on riding.

I hope you're OK, Paul. You're a good bastard.

3umph
8th April 2009, 22:43

as I said before... just throwing it bac up here

tigertim20
8th April 2009, 23:09

Fuckit, im gettin buried with mine, I aint leaving it around for me mates to bloody wreck, I plan to have a rather nice one by then!! :scooter:

=cJ=
11th April 2009, 09:45
Oh lol, can I change my response. I missed the last one >_<

Readinf comprehension 101 failure :'(

scumdog
11th April 2009, 10:33

Get a new project - some old clunker that you won't want to ride too far on anyway but will give you plenty of tinkering and fettling to keep it going...and keep your interest in bikes going.

YellowDog
11th April 2009, 11:22
When the 'Biking Gods' start to move against you (everything keeps going wrong) and they won't leave you alone: Take the hint.

FROSTY
11th April 2009, 11:46
JD sorry mate but a lot of us apreciate where (we think) Paul is at head space wise and the health issues we aren't (out of respect for the man) talking about. This is why a project was my suggestion. something to tinker with.

jrandom
11th April 2009, 11:58
Or his desserts are small

Well, nobody's ever accused me of that.

Ocean1
11th April 2009, 12:27
Well, nobody's ever accused me of that.

Heathen Sassenach.

Somewhere in the Highlands the 5th Earl of Montrose is rotating furiously in his grave.