PDA

View Full Version : Road carnage spurs strategy rethink

jim.cox
7th April 2009, 11:30
from http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2318922/Road-carnage-spurs-strategy-rethink

Increasing carnage on Wellington roads is prompting a drastic rethink of the region's road safety plan, with officials admitting the current strategy is failing.

A report to be presented to a regional council committee tomorrow finds that fatal and serious crashes in the region are increasing significantly faster than both travel and population rates, vaulting Wellington ahead of Auckland in terms of the number of casualties per capita.

Most crashes happened on urban roads rather than highways. The study recommends several measures, including more police on the roads, initiatives to improve vehicles, and more median barriers.

Safer?

For who?

Pwalo
7th April 2009, 11:40
I never realised that there was a strategy, other than putting in speed humps and other 'traffic calming' obstacles. Perhaps they need to make traffic flow more of a priority?

My guess is that most of this 'carnage' (this must be a Dom Post report) happens at Horokiwi when it's wet, or at peak hour (or both).

I like median barriers, just not the wire and post jobbies. Not thoroughly convinced that they will be able to install them on suburban roads.

Safer cars don't usually stop you from crashing, and I have a feeling the local constabulary have enough on their plate already.

Other than that it's a well argued constructive piece of journalism, presenting a non sensationalist opinion.

jono035
8th April 2009, 21:24
Yeah, more median barriers have to be a good thing for the most part, but now that I'm seeing the 'cheesecutters' through the eyes of a soon-to-be biker, they're pretty scary pieces of work.

Hitcher
8th April 2009, 21:39
Greater Wellington's Regional Land Transport Programme is currently out for consultation. Submissions close on Friday 24 April.

http://www.gw.govt.nz/section2837.cfm

Make a submission about barriers. Ask to be heard at the hearings. There is a democratic process. Use it.

caseye
10th April 2009, 16:40
Thats the way guys and girls, go to those submission hearings and have your say, they actually listen.
I've done so on more than one occassion though on unrelated matters, I was mildly surprised to see that having listened to all who spoke the commission in both cases ruled favourably for those speaking out.