PDA

View Full Version : EFF X ARRRR Rear Shock

richban
8th April 2009, 20:52
I am thinking of upgrading from the standard shock I am running on my FXR to something better. (Something adjustable that is) Have got the front working but the back is a little lacking. Any ideas?

Cheers Rich

Buddha#81
9th April 2009, 07:11
If you remove the RS125 chassis bikes in Chch the top bikes are FXR's and CBR's all running on the same KYB shocks, I also know of two homebuilt frames running FXR shocks sucessfully. You may want to try another standard shock before you go to the expence and trouble of changing your shock, They may be basic and crude but work for us and plenty of others, your shock could be a dud.....just a thought.

richban
9th April 2009, 07:45
If you remove the RS125 chassis bikes in Chch the top bikes are FXR's and CBR's all running on the same KYB shocks, I also know of two homebuilt frames running FXR shocks sucessfully. You may want to try another standard shock before you go to the expence and trouble of changing your shock, They may be basic and crude but work for us and plenty of others, your shock could be a dud.....just a thought.

Good to know.

It's not all that bad as you say and the cost of something better seams like it could be lots. I will do some more investigation at this weekends racing. Might have just been a wet weather problem or rider one. I am 90kg and have the spring wound up as far as it will go. There is some slack in the rebound damping at the top (no damping really) and that seams to translate to crap traction as you roll on the gas. The rider sag is about 30mm I thought that might cancel the lack of top end damping but I am not conviced.

fi5hy
9th April 2009, 08:15
I have a lovely ZXR shock for you it does wonders for your rear tyre (tui add)

SHELRACING
9th April 2009, 08:34
I am thinking of upgrading from the standard shock I am running on my FXR to something better. (Something adjustable that is) Have got the front working but the back is a little lacking. Any ideas?

Cheers Rich

We have just had to replace the rear shock on the FXR/Loncin. Got a second hand one from a mate. The shock turned out to be worse than the one we had.

Due to our usual budget constraints options were limited. I ended up buying a chinker shock for $70 it's a bit longer than stock (20mm) and it raises the rear end of the bike a bit. It fells pretty good tho. will be at the track at the weekend to try it out. Of course being a chinker I don't know how long it will last.

Can post you a pic and link if you're interested.

F5 Dave
9th April 2009, 10:52
Good to know.
. . . I am 90kg and have the spring wound up as far as it will go. . .

First issue is use the right spring for your weight. Winding preload will not make the spring rate any stiffer. Cutting it will, do a thread search

Good to know.
.. . There is some slack in the rebound damping at the top (no damping really) and that seams to translate to crap traction as you roll on the gas. . .
so with the spring removed? Do you think there is air in shock? Can be changed with addition of a schrader valve carefully welded at one end, Ask Daemon if unkeen to try, just watch where linkage goes when compressed, Ask me at track.

richban
9th April 2009, 12:45
First issue is use the right spring for your weight. Winding preload will not make the spring rate any stiffer. Cutting it will, do a thread search

so with the spring removed? Do you think there is air in shock? Can be changed with addition of a schrader valve carefully welded at one end, Ask Daemon if unkeen to try, just watch where linkage goes when compressed, Ask me at track.

Before I go cutting and welding. I might find another one to play with. Will have a chat at the track.

Alternatively I could just vomit up me dinners till I reach the correct weight for my spring.

Will only be at Kaitoke. Under the thumb!!

Cheers Guys

F5 Dave
9th April 2009, 15:05
No drama. Is easy to measure spring rate so you know where you start, then you can compare with other springs, using no more than a lever, tape measure & a set of scales. Or a press if you want to get fancy.

richban
9th April 2009, 15:22
No drama. Is easy to measure spring rate so you know where you start, then you can compare with other springs, using no more than a lever, tape measure & a set of scales. Or a press if you want to get fancy.

Lets just say I need to increase the rate of the spring. Cut or new spring whatever. Then would that make the rebound damping quicker. If so how do you adjust it back to a bit slower when da shock has no adjuster?

F5 Dave
9th April 2009, 15:33
Some fresh oil costing more than 20 cents a litre or whatever used cooking oil they put in at the Taiwanese factory, filled properly would be a good start.

richban
9th April 2009, 15:55
Some fresh oil costing more than 20 cents a litre or whatever used cooking oil they put in at the Taiwanese factory, filled properly would be a good start.

All good a plan is forming.

All I need now is a munted FXR shock. Anyone got one. Willing to pay 1 to 1 and a half Doz. 6 pak if you like the good stuff Beer that is??

DELLORTO
9th April 2009, 20:19
if you have the $$$$$ cant you fit a "OHLINS" OR "WP" one??? those are the brands to go for in top qaulity suspension anyway....

Sketchy_Racer
9th April 2009, 21:27
if you have the $$$$$ cant you fit a "OHLINS" OR "WP" one??? those are the brands to go for in top qaulity suspension anyway....

That sort of gear would cost more than his whole bike. Unnecessary for buckets. Modify a rooted standard shock Rich, If nothing else, you'll learn heaps. Catch you at Kaitoke on Sat

richban
9th April 2009, 21:35

In the spirt of bucket racing I think I will get hold of a fucked one and re-engineer it into something that it was never designed to be. Better than the original.

If i had the sort of money needed to buy an Ohlins shock i would spend it on a spear engine.

richban
9th April 2009, 21:39
That sort of gear would cost more than his whole bike. Unnecessary for buckets. Modify a rooted standard shock Rich, If nothing else, you'll learn heaps. Catch you at Kaitoke on Sat

You bet me to it. Thats the hole thing I love about buckets people doing things to bikes way over the factory spec. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

richban
9th April 2009, 21:44

Hey also took yours and other peoples advice about Leathers and went to see Dusty. I can not say enough about the man. He is a true craftsman that just knows his trade.

richban
13th April 2009, 05:58

Well found the problem. Das shock is fecked. Looks like it has leaked some oil and when worked hard just stops working. (About 2 laps) Will try and bring it back to life with some new oil.

Cheers for your help Dave