PDA

View Full Version : GN125/250 best tyres on market

racefactory
10th April 2009, 10:56
My brother just lost the front end on his gn125 and would like to know some of the best tyres available for the bike.

There are an enormous amount of these bikes so it would be good if some begginners out there could see the thread and therefore prevent would-be accidents on the terrible,death wish stock tyres these bikes have. I had a ride on the bike later after the fall, sceptical as i was at the time as to how bad a tyre could be, but it really is true, the front end locks up so easilly under brakes and there is very, very little grip on these things.

What are the best tyres you can put on these bikes? Experiences would be nice.

BASS-TREBLE
10th April 2009, 12:36
I've done over 15k on the GN last year, every week of the year.
I swapped the stock tyres with Pirelli City Demons, 90/90-18 (stock size) up front and 130/90-16 (stock is 120/90) on the back.

I scrape both pegs regulary with no doubt in my mind, as long as you give them a few km to warm up. Wet is rather good grip, just remember that you're only a little bike so obviously less grip than a big bike.

By having the bigger tyre on the back theres a bigger circumference so drops a few 100 revs at 100km than stock.
I still have 15mm chicken strips even tipping her over to the pegs so there is no way I'm at the limits.

Front around $110 I think (been a whle) and back was $123 last December.

B-T

edit: Mines a 250, Don''t know if 125 has same size tyre.

racefactory
10th April 2009, 17:11
pirelli city demons- excellent thanks for that.

the gn125 takes 275 18 front and a 350 16 rear ... i'm not sure how that translates into thos measurements.

I've seen the michelin m45's on the net, apparently they can also be used for bucket racing and historic racing so im guessing they aren;t bad- anyone tried em?

Wet is rather good grip, just remember that you're only a little bike so obviously less grip than a big bike.

how do you justify this??

BASS-TREBLE
10th April 2009, 22:06
Well since you are a light bike there is less weight pushing you down onto the road = less friction than big bike.

Wet weather grip is good enough to scrape the pegs, if thats what you mean.
Not on the shiny stuff in roundabouts though, but I have had it sliding a little on the shiny stuff, so plenty of warning.

Your sizes are imperial, use this http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm to convert using 2.75 front and 3.50 rear.

MSTRS
10th April 2009, 22:16
the gn125 takes 275 18 front and a 350 16 rear ...

16" and 18" rims are getting hard to find tyres for now (decent rubber, that is) I think Pirelli Sport Demons are still avail in those sizes, They are very good tyres for the smaller bikes

racefactory
10th April 2009, 22:46
peg down action in the rain should be good enough. yea i know what you mean about those roundabouts though.

many thanks for the info, will get him to buy some sport demons.

just wondering, with these tyre sizes and tyre types on these bikes, what on earth are considered good pressures roughly?

Laxi
11th April 2009, 00:24
My brother just lost the front end on his gn125 and would like to know some of the best tyres available for the bike.

was this on the rimutakas or is this a common problem?

MSTRS
11th April 2009, 10:02
just wondering, with these tyre sizes and tyre types on these bikes, what on earth are considered good pressures roughly?

Not sure that size has anything to do with it...it's all about compound and temperature.
I'd suggest starting at 25psi F and 28psi R. That's when tyres are COLD. Use a pen-type tyre guage and keep with you. Go for a normal ride, and after 10 mins tyres should be at highest temperature. Measure pressures immediately...they should have increased by 10%. If more, than too soft to start with etc

FROSTY
11th April 2009, 10:20
All of those little commutter type bikes have crappy front tyres.
Quite honestly using almost any name brand tyre will be an improvement.

BASS-TREBLE
11th April 2009, 11:30
There's a difference between Sport Demons and City Demons.
Just so you don't get confused

Harvd
11th April 2009, 15:12
There's a difference between Sport Demons and City Demons.
Just so you don't get confused

Im guessing the sport demons will have a softer compound?

the wicked power availible on the 125 will rip these up in no time...:p

MaxCannon
11th April 2009, 21:31
Another vote for the city demons.
The stock GN rubber is shit. After I had the city demons put on the increase in grip was amazing.

racefactory
12th April 2009, 09:49
oh yeah, cant seem to find sport demons for a gn125 size.

That's a good measure MSTRS, dont know why i didnt think of that. I guess its more dependant upon weight.

I thought it would be different on tyre size since bicycles take from like 5- 100psi.