PDA

View Full Version : NC30 losing all power when hitting bumps

mark247
10th April 2009, 18:18
So i was riding up from Palmerston North to Tauranga last night, coming down the kaimais and i lose all power. Lose lights, spark, EVERYTHING. It was as if i turned the key off. I stop and we take a look at the electrics and we touch a few things and amazingly the lights all flick on again and all is well. But after that, now, when i hit bit bumps my power flickers and my lights dim etc. Not all the time but quite often. Now I'm guessing this is a lose wire or something, but I have no idea where to start looking.

Any ideas? Because I'm losing all power, it must be a pretty vital wire. If someone could list all the wires it could possibly be that would be fantastic. My manual is in Palmerston North and im in Tauranga for two weeks so I have no wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance.

Squiggles
10th April 2009, 21:00
Start with the battery terminals and work your way from there

Taz
10th April 2009, 21:15
Also check wires coming from the ignition switch. Ensure they are not getting caught in the steering stops. Ignition switch in good condition??

mark247
10th April 2009, 22:31
Also check wires coming from the ignition switch. Ensure they are not getting caught in the steering stops. Ignition switch in good condition??

I think the ignition switch is in good condition. I've took it off recently, for another reason, and it seemed fine. When fiddling with the key ( when i had total loss of power ) it made absolutely no difference. Although I will check it again, I think it is something else down the line.

I found a wiring diagram online, so I will work back from the battery. It seemed to be running fine tonight, but knowing my luck it will run perfectly until a hit a little bump in the middle of nowhere, in a storm, at night time. So i think i will try fix it before that :msn-wink:

Ixion
10th April 2009, 22:33
Look very very very carefully at the wiring loom where it goes around the headstock.

mark247
14th April 2009, 09:20
Found the problem easily enough. The battery earth wire was broken at the connector and all that was holding it togeather was the weight of the battery, so whenever i hit bumps it would disconnect. Easy fix though so all good!

NZsarge
14th April 2009, 09:25
Found the problem easily enough. The battery earth wire was broken at the connector and all that was holding it togeather was the weight of the battery, so whenever i hit bumps it would disconnect. Easy fix though so all good!

Sweet, good to here it was simple to fix.