PDA

View Full Version : Horse trekking - Wellington area

flame
11th April 2009, 11:10
Can anybody recommend a decent nag hire place? One where they aren't under nourished, and can go fast?

Ocean1
11th April 2009, 11:24
P'raps not this one:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2328856/Police-alert-on-riding-school

cowpoos
11th April 2009, 12:15
Can anybody recommend a decent nag hire place? One where they aren't under nourished, and can go fast?
Go to the track and offer to excersise a few of the trainers
I'm sure they would let you...

besides....there a horse trek place over in the rapa...google and ya might find something :)

Shadows
11th April 2009, 13:09
There's one out on the Wainui Coast Road. Don't know if they're any good though but they've been around for a while.

Ms Piggy
11th April 2009, 13:23
There's one out on the Wainui Coast Road. Don't know if they're any good though but they've been around for a while.
I've been to that 1, it was several years back but the horses appeared happy and healthy.

Apparently 1 of the horses a friend of mine rode was in LOTR. Sorry I can't recall their name though but they were on the RH when you go down the Coast Road.

Dooly
11th April 2009, 17:25

Shame you are'nt up here in the bay, we have 7 trekking horses, missus does all that.
You can ride them.........

......I'll ride ya bike eh.:msn-wink:

Not as good as you tho.....:niceone:

Hans
11th April 2009, 20:04
Wifey runs one. PM sent.

Trudes
11th April 2009, 20:11
I used to work at Ohariu Valley indoor riding school... horses were really over weight when I worked there, they do treks but will probably not let you take the horses out without someone with you. the Ohariu valley country Club (which is next door to OVIRS) does treks and may hire you a horse for a trek around the hills, but will probably want someone to come with you also.

Grahameeboy
11th April 2009, 20:13
I only ride horses in Auckland which is no good for you

duckonin
11th April 2009, 20:21
I used to work at Ohariu Valley indoor riding school... horses were really over weight when I worked there, they do treks but will probably not let you take the horses out without someone with you. the Ohariu valley country Club (which is next door to OVIRS) does treks and may hire you a horse for a trek around the hills, but will probably want someone to come with you also.

Ohariu vally riding school has Been operating a long time now Trudes, used to shoe out that way when the Ohariu country club was being built, was real nice inside and out then...

Trudes
11th April 2009, 20:23
Ohariu vally riding school has Been operating a long time now Trudes, used to shoe out that way when the Ohariu country club was being built, was real nice inside and out then...

Sorry I don't get what you're trying to say. I worked there about 6 years ago.

flame
11th April 2009, 20:28
P'raps not this one:

Crikeys! thats pretty dam BAD! Wont be going there.

Go to the track and offer to excersise a few of the trainers
I'm sure they would let you...

I could, but its for a work 'team building' thingy.......hehe Ive talked them ALL into going and riding some lovely ponies :)

Shame you are'nt up here in the bay, we have 7 trekking horses, missus does all that.

Not as good as you tho.....:niceone:heh.....I'll still take ya's up on that offer when Im up your way next :).....cheers!

Wifey runs one. PM sent.Hey thanks....pm returned :)

I used to work at Ohariu Valley indoor riding school... horses were really over weight when I worked there, they do treks but will probably not let you take the horses out without someone with you. the Ohariu valley country Club (which is next door to OVIRS) does treks and may hire you a horse for a trek around the hills, but will probably want someone to come with you also.Hey.....you!! I didn't know you were a 'horsey' chick! geesh....just when ya think ya know someone! LOL.....thats it, your coming trekking with me sometime soon!

I only ride horses in Auckland which is no good for you I'll let ya know when Im up there next :)

Trudes
11th April 2009, 20:30
Hey.....you!! I didn't know you were a 'horsey' chick! geesh....just when ya think ya know someone! LOL.....thats it, your coming trekking with me sometime soon!

You're on hun!!! :)

chanceyy
11th April 2009, 20:47
still have a spare pony in the paddock hon .. she would have given you a very lively ride .. esp while the hot air balloons were overhead :lol:

:blip: must catch up soon huh babe :niceone:

MsKABC
11th April 2009, 20:55
Hey.....you!! I didn't know you were a 'horsey' chick! geesh....just when ya think ya know someone!

There are hidden depths to Trudes - she knits too, apparently! :shutup: Oops, I think I might be in big twouble now.... :dodge:

Shadows
11th April 2009, 21:54

Yours wouldn't be the outfit that runs treks up the Mohaka River? With the cabins and shit near the water?

Fatjim
11th April 2009, 22:21

I think this came out out a bit dodgy.

Number One
12th April 2009, 17:34
P'raps not this one:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2328856/Police-alert-on-riding-school
Been there done that they are crooks and the horses are not well looked after and are not in good condition.

Further to that they offer horses to punters that none of the experienced riders would get on. This place put me off horses as I was lucky enough to be given a feiry boy called Judas...he was an ex race tracker and just wanted to canter off into the distance - that was fine and good fun except that he didn't know the property or run so well and wouldn't respond to reigns to stear him off course so instead headed straight for a bit of scrub in the middle of a paddock as we got up close he realised it was actually full of coiled up barbed wire, tried to stop, couldn't so did a delayed jump...causing me in all the confusion to lose my set in the saddle come off and then be dragged hanging with my foot stuck in the stirrup through the barbed wire/scrub backwards head first! Dragged through a bush backwards :gob: :lol:

I haven't been able to relax on a horse since and prefer two wheels to four legs EVERY day now! BTW - I had declared I was not an 'experienced rider'. They ended up turning him loose as no one would get on him and he wouldn't run alongside any of the other horses to get back home again.

Could have been very nasty if a bunch of kids had gone along!

allycatz
12th April 2009, 18:32
Theres a riding school at Te Horo...not sure if they do treks also the Stables in the Park at QE II Park Paekakariki

Dooly
12th April 2009, 20:38
Yours wouldn't be the outfit that runs treks up the Mohaka River? With the cabins and shit near the water?

No, the missus has the nags here on our land and she is involved in the local trekking scene, either riding locally on the farm next door or around the north island like the big Waiouru one.
Beats me why she needs 7 horses and heaps of saddles.
You can only ride one at a time eh.........:yes:

Mind you she asks me why I have more than one road bike.
But thats different...........:wari:

Hans
13th April 2009, 15:00
Been there done that they are crooks and the horses are not well looked after and are not in good condition.

Further to that they offer horses to punters that none of the experienced riders would get on. This place put me off horses as I was lucky enough to be given a feiry boy called Judas...he was an ex race tracker and just wanted to canter off into the distance - that was fine and good fun except that he didn't know the property or run so well and wouldn't respond to reigns to stear him off course so instead headed straight for a bit of scrub in the middle of a paddock as we got up close he realised it was actually full of coiled up barbed wire, tried to stop, couldn't so did a delayed jump...causing me in all the confusion to lose my set in the saddle come off and then be dragged hanging with my foot stuck in the stirrup through the barbed wire/scrub backwards head first! Dragged through a bush backwards :gob: :lol:

I haven't been able to relax on a horse since and prefer two wheels to four legs EVERY day now! BTW - I had declared I was not an 'experienced rider'. They ended up turning him loose as no one would get on him and he wouldn't run alongside any of the other horses to get back home again.

Could have been very nasty if a bunch of kids had gone along!

Edited out my nonsense drivel.

Hans
13th April 2009, 15:03
Theres a riding school at Te Horo...not sure if they do treks also the Stables in the Park at QE II Park Paekakariki

Run by the same lovely people.