PDA

View Full Version : TL1000 vs VTR1000 Firestorm

KX500
13th April 2009, 11:31
Looking at buying either of these, pros and cons of both pls ?

Looking at the "more naked TL1000" (Not full race trim)

Models have scoped out around the 50,000 KM mark.

Suspect the Honda would be better for longevity (higher K's) and easier to ride ?

Squiggles
13th April 2009, 11:36
Camchain tensioner, Regulator/Rectifiers are problems for the VTR. Less power, smaller tank for pre 01? (Cant remember exactly) models.

You can read up a bit on the TL's @ www.tlzone.net , or www.tlplanet.com
Trick is to get one with an aftermarket rear shock if ya can.
The more naked TL is the S model

vifferman
13th April 2009, 12:31
With all due respect, use the search function - this question's been asked lots of times.
TL is faster, has more power, handles better. VTR's easier to ride in the real world, looks uglier. Both could do with better suspension, but the VTR's may be easier to upgrade, as it has a conventional rear shock.

cowpoos
13th April 2009, 14:18
With all due respect, use the search function - this question's been asked lots of times.
TL is faster, has more power, handles better. VTR's easier to ride in the real world, looks uglier. Both could do with better suspension, but the VTR's may be easier to upgrade, as it has a conventional rear shock.
Tl is just as easy to upgrade...and front forks are far high spec to start with...

In all honesty...you can't even compare the two...the Tl1000 wins by a country mile...and real world riding...it still kicks a VTR's arse...

ttnz
13th April 2009, 14:41
I was in the same boat 6 mths ago and really wanted a TL but was bloody hard to find one with less than 50k on the clock, and when you did they wanted to much, i ended up spending an extra $1000 more than i wanted ( as we all do) and got an 2006 SV done 17k far better bike than the VTR and while not as potent as the TL the power delivery is fine

98tls
13th April 2009, 15:32
Bit of reading for ya.http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/sport-twins-1997-3360.html

NighthawkNZ
13th April 2009, 15:48

The are both bullet proof... I personally found the VTR more comfortable... (and it may be up for sale soon)

if you go for the vtr get a later model (after 02) as they have the larger tank and better suspension, few other mods... as for looks that's personal taste

the TL does have more power, but I found the vtr much easier round town and on longer rides...

best bet take them for a decent test ride... know what you want it for, the odd blat around the track or touring or to say I own a...

Sollyboy
13th April 2009, 18:45

Looking at the "more naked TL1000" (Not full race trim)

Models have scoped out around the 50,000 KM mark.

Suspect the Honda would be better for longevity (higher K's) and easier to ride ?

the motor bike magazines tried to compare these 2 bikes but it not really a match up they are not like comparing blade to r1 , my opinion the the TL is the pick , it a bike you can grow into and learn to ride better but the VTR is a bike you could easily tire of and soon out grow unless you are a below average rider and if you are then this bike might be good for you .
sum up TL thrilling , VTR boring

munterk6
13th April 2009, 19:15
Forget the V-twin hit....get a Gixxer!!! :innocent:

Sidewinder
13th April 2009, 19:23
let the guys from fast bikes show you then!
<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1058880512099685914&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

KX500
13th April 2009, 22:05
Yeah ok will use search function next time ......

Cheerz so far all - looks like VTR scrubbed off the list :)

What are these TL's good for millage wise if fortunate to buy one that has not been caned 24/7 ?

Is 45,000 to 50,000 Km getting to high to buy ?

What are some good signs please to tell if its been caned, given a hard life ?

:)

NighthawkNZ
13th April 2009, 22:09
Yeah ok will use search function next time ......

Cheerz so far all - looks like VTR scrubbed off the list :)

What are these TL's good for millage wise if fortunate to buy one that has not been caned 24/7 ?

Is 45,000 to 50,000 Km getting to high to buy ?

What are some good signs please to tell if its been caned, given a hard life ?

:)

Put it this way... my VTR is about to clock over 60,000... and if it doesn't get 100,000 k something is wrong...

Main thing is how well it has been maintained and serviced... i guess th tl should be similar...

98tls
14th April 2009, 08:53
Theres plenty of TLs around done 80000 kms plus,thing to remember though is there getting on in years know,things like swingarm,head bearings on many wont have been touched and should be.As for if its been given a hard time,pretty hard to tell if its been looked after,head bearings are likely to be stuffed if its spent alot of time doing wheelies etc.Theres been a few for sale lately that have only done 35/40000 kms which is pretty good.Someone said it earlier but will repeat the TL websites are great places to pick up info.I wouldnt write off the VTR so quickly,theres plenty around which is generally a sign there pretty good.

Boob Johnson
14th April 2009, 22:36
Used to own a TL1000S (last bike) & have ridden a 2006 VTR. I wouldn't touch a VTR with a bardge poll, I think its where motorcycles go to die.

KX500
14th April 2009, 23:36
Good stuff !

Is it only the 97 TLs that is the full power model ?

98tls
14th April 2009, 23:49
Good stuff !

Is it only the 97 TLs that is the full power model ? Sort any year S and you wont tell the difference.If i had spent as much money as i have on my 98 on a 97,99,2000 etc i doubt anyone would tell any difference between them.TLs have had more than there fair share of sensationalism from everybody from English Journos to the guy next door brothers cousin died on one blah blah,at the launch in Florida 97 a french journo had a very classy off then some poms planted themselves as hedgerow markers,the list go on,from memory most kiwi mags loved em as did the Aussie ones.If you can find a good low km one i wouldnt be worried what year it is though i will repeat these things are getting on and in most cases there will be things to do.Personally if i was looking for something to ride everyday etc i would steer well clear,just my opinion fwiw.

KX500
15th April 2009, 00:19
Another trade me sales pitch :) one in Ch-Ch here with 26 000 km but it 8 grand - quite a bit for a 97 bike - A practically new Katana 8 grand done 3000 Km :)

I had to rebuild my Trade me special KX500, do not want to repeat that feat so know what ya mean.

They very comfortable to ride ? (cheers for the advice)

98tls
15th April 2009, 00:26
Another trade me sales pitch :) one in Ch-Ch here with 26 000 km but it 8 grand - quite a bit for a 97 bike - A practically new Katana 8 grand done 3000 Km :)

I had to rebuild my Trade me special KX500, do not want to repeat that feat so know what ya mean.

They very comfortable to ride ? (cheers for the advice) Im getting on a bit and still find mine ok for 6/7 hour days if need be.Round town the non adjustable damper is a pain in the arse though i dont ride round town and long ago fitted an adjustable one.I was offered an SV to swap for my TLS but declined,if my needs were a bike to use everyday etc i would have done the deal.

KX500
15th April 2009, 00:39
Yeah I be looking only for a weekend bike, prefer the TL looks over the SV. The british racing green one on trade me for $5500 looks ok, guy selling it said been on long runs 75km round trips out of Christchurch daily - serviced regularly.

Besides the head set and that, how many revs can these things handle, if somone "giving it beans" most times they ride it and its getting on in K's say 60, 000 :) or They built that well no wories ?

Squiggles
15th April 2009, 00:40
Im getting on a bit and still find mine ok for 6/7 hour days if need be.Round town the non adjustable damper is a pain in the arse though i dont ride round town and long ago fitted an adjustable one.I was offered an SV to swap for my TLS but declined,if my needs were a bike to use everyday etc i would have done the deal.

Can honestly say my one has been the only bike thats never given me pain after any length of riding.... Compared to a katana, who knows, completely different bikes. 8 grand may seem alot but these bikes are truly special.

98tls
15th April 2009, 00:44
Yeah I be looking only for a weekend bike, prefer the TL looks over the SV. The british racing green one on trade me for $5500 looks ok, guy selling it said been on long runs 75km round trips out of Christchurch daily - serviced regularly.

Besides the head set and that, how many revs can these things handle, if somone "giving it beans" most times they ride it and its getting on in K's say 60, 000 :) or They built that well no wories ? Seems so,mines getting up there,i dont ride it everyday but when i do i give it shite,they love it,no problems thus far.

KX500
15th April 2009, 08:23
"Good to hear" Cheerzzzzzzzzz :)

crazyhorse
17th April 2009, 07:01
There is no real comparison between the VTR and TL's

And likewise between the SV and TL's. The Sv is designed after the problems they had with the TL bikes, and they designed a new bike with the same kind of parts and engine. However, you don't get the same throaty sound out of a SV that you do from the TL.

You can't beat a TL - if you can manage to really ride one - you're good!

JimO
17th April 2009, 12:12
what they needed to do was put that TL engine into a Italian bike:whistle:

vifferman
17th April 2009, 12:25
what they needed to do was put that TL engine into a Italian bike
You forgot to put a :whistle: at the end of the sentence.

Best of both worlds, huh? Or have you got SpaghettiElectrix?

Manix48
17th April 2009, 13:45
I personally think the VTR is one of the better looking bike out of the 90's. I'm biased though as I owned one. Just wish I had invested some money into a steering damper. Tank slapper high side ended my VTR abruptly!

Cajun
17th April 2009, 13:49
what they needed to do was put that TL engine into a Italian bike

bimota sb8r cic 1998 was a tl powered motorcycle in italian clothing

Quasievil
17th April 2009, 13:50
Buy Neither and get a SP2 or a SP5, well I would, freckin nice bikes compared to the aforemention monstrocities

vifferman
17th April 2009, 14:03
I personally think the VTR is one of the better looking bike out of the 90's. I'm biased though as I owned one.
Welcome to KB, Manix! :wavey:
Hope your eyesight improves soon. :whistle:
I too owned a VTR, and reckon they're an ugly bike (although you can't see that while riding them!)

Manix48
17th April 2009, 14:11
Thought I might get a reply from you regards to my taste. I am actually in the proccess off picking my next bike after 10 years in the wilderness of 'cages'. Looking at the bandit 1250 or vfr. Honda is just a bit more pricey for me. Can't get another VTR though as the temptation to wheelie is too easy. I think all TLs are the ugly bikes. SVs are ok too. Just my noob opinion though:2thumbsup

JimO
17th April 2009, 20:51
bimota sb8r cic 1998 was a tl powered motorcycle in italian clothing

must have been Orsome

98tls
18th April 2009, 20:20
Am sure it went well but it sure wasnt pretty that Bimota.

Morepower
28th April 2009, 22:55
Good stuff !

Is it only the 97 TLs that is the full power model ?

The 97 had slightly larger round shape intake ports and the later models smaller D shaped ports. This in theory gives the 97 more top end power at the expense of a bit of power down lower where frankly you use it most.
Even the VTR will out grunt a TL lower in the rev range but the fun starts at 6500rpm when the TL engine comes on song and thats a big part of the appeal , not so much how much power but the way its delivered . There are heaps of more powerful bikes , and plenty more refined bikes but not many that are as entertaining.

Just watch for restricted imported ( ex Japan ) bikes.

KX500
2nd May 2009, 10:56
(not so much how much power but the way its delivered . There are heaps of more powerful bikes , and plenty more refined bikes but not many that are as entertaining)

Good point, 6 seconds to 100 MPH (wikipedia) is impressive - and all for 5 grand :)

Cheerz