PDA

View Full Version : The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls movie

Ms Piggy
13th April 2009, 17:32
This is a must see movie if you're a fan of the Topp Twins and their music.

I laughed, I cried and laughed some more. The movie is a journey through their musical career and some of the political issues they were involved in, as well as their personal lives too.

The trailer>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtSDaOscM_I

James Deuce
13th April 2009, 17:33
This is a must see movie if you're a fan of the Topp Twins and their music.

I laughed, I cried and laughed some more. The movie is a journey through their musical career and some of the political issues they were involved in.

The trailer>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtSDaOscM_I

I played drums for them once at some tree hugging rally in the mid '80s. They're a couple of dags and actually very nice people even in a professional capacity where some performers can be utter b'stards.

Hitcher
13th April 2009, 17:41
I remember when the Topp Twins used to busk on Queen Street back about 1980. They used to literally stop traffic, because the hundreds of people who used to stop and listen to them spilled out onto the roadway.

magicfairy
13th April 2009, 18:10
I hung out with them in them in late 70s in Dunedin. they called themselves Homemade Jam and played for free at the Governors cafe. Heaps of fun

MsKABC
13th April 2009, 18:14
My Mum and I did a lip sync routine as the Gingham twins once at a social event and we absolutely brought the house down! We were invited to do a repeat performance at a similar event a few months later! :laugh: I have a lot of respect for those girls and hope to see the movie soon :)

JimO
13th April 2009, 18:16
untouchable is right i wouldnt touch them with yours

Hitcher
13th April 2009, 20:43
untouchable is right i wouldnt touch them with yours

Don't go taking any liberties with mine, and go and get your homophobia sorted out.

PuppetMaster
14th April 2009, 11:25
They make me sick, smelly lickers!!!

scumdog
14th April 2009, 12:14
They make me sick, smelly lickers!!!

WTF????:scratch:

JimO
14th April 2009, 12:28
Don't go taking any liberties with mine, and go and get your homophobia sorted out.

its not that they are gay is because they are so fucken ugly

Str8 Jacket
14th April 2009, 13:04
its not that they are gay is because they are so fucken ugly

And what? You're a fucken oil painting?

sunhuntin
14th April 2009, 13:15
that movie was absolutely the topps! mum and i went to the local preview... i was literally the 4th youngest person in a full cinema, with mum [aged 60] being about the 6th youngest... every other person would have been over 70 years. :eek5:
they made a crack towards george dubbya and said even lesbians dont like bush... and the whole cinema cracked up, but i was left wondering if the oldies actually got the whole joke. and the best of all? when the credits started, everyone clapped. ive never been to a movie where people have appluaded at the end. it was just like being at a stage show... and many of the clips used were shot at wanganuis opera house!

Finn
14th April 2009, 13:25
Listen to jimjim people. He speaks the truth.

Mully
14th April 2009, 14:29
Funny thing is, I have never had any time for the TV show, etc. I've always thought the humour was pathetic whenever I've seen them on anything (that Camp Leader, Camp Mother thing *yawn*).

They were, however, on the radio the other morning (plugging the movie, I guess) and they are fucking hilarious in real life.

Dunno if I'd go see the movie though (at $15-odd a throw, I don't go and see many movies actually at the movies).

sunhuntin
14th April 2009, 17:09
Funny thing is, I have never had any time for the TV show, etc. I've always thought the humour was pathetic whenever I've seen them on anything (that Camp Leader, Camp Mother thing *yawn*).

They were, however, on the radio the other morning (plugging the movie, I guess) and they are fucking hilarious in real life.

Dunno if I'd go see the movie though (at $15-odd a throw, I don't go and see many movies actually at the movies).

neither do we, but after seeing them live at least 3 times and loving each and every show, we couldnt miss the movie. highly recommended if you want to almost wet your pants in public. as for the tv show, i barely remember it... i do remember mum telling me that they "liked women", which to a 6 year old seems normal, cos i loved all mums friends. that was essentially my first introduction to the world of gays, lol.

Beemer
14th April 2009, 18:10
I watched the bit on tv about them the other night and found it quite interesting but I don't like their style of entertainment as a rule. It's a bit too country and western dose-see-do for me. I loathe the Kens and Camp Mother - a bit too kiwi Benny Hill for my liking!

They were at a party one of our neighbour's threw a year or so back, very laid-back people and hardly anyone realised who they were.

I don't give a shit about their sexuality but it's odd to think that they and their brother are all gay.

Mully
14th April 2009, 18:18
. highly recommended if you want to almost wet your pants in public.

Funny you mention this....

Ms Piggy
14th April 2009, 18:27
They're also on tour this year cos they're turning 50. They'll be going all round NZ. Here's the dates:

Mt Somers Young Farmers Fund Raiser May 16, Mt Somers Hall, Mid Canterbury
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 14, Regent Theatre, Hokitika
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 15, Regent Theatre, Greymouth
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 16, James Hay, Christchurch
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 17, James Hay, Christchurch
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 21, Opera House, Oamaru
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 23, Civic Theatre, Invercargill
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 24, Regent Theatre, Dunedin
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 25, Theatre Royal, Timaru
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 27, Marlborough Centre, Blenheim
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 28, Marlborough Centre, Blenheim
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 30, Opera House, Wellington (I'll be here!)
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Oct 31, Regent Theatre, Palmerston North
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Nov 1, Municipal Theatre, Napier
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Nov 4, TSB Showplace, New Plymouth
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Nov 5, TSB Showplace, New Plymouth
100 Years of The Topp Twins Tour Nov 7, Bruce Mason, Auckland

http://topptwins.com/gig-guide

sunhuntin
14th April 2009, 19:01
i cant believe wangas isnt on that list! o well... will head over to palmy instead.

Ms Piggy
14th April 2009, 19:13
i cant believe wangas isnt on that list! o well... will head over to palmy instead.

Check the website cos I may not have copied it all.

Okey Dokey
15th April 2009, 09:18
I saw the documentary last Thursday and really enjoyed it. As well as being about the twins it provided a nice overview of some interesting moments in NZ history- Bastion Point, Springbok Tour, nuclear-free NZ. I smiled my way through the whole thing, and the country music wasn't as bad as you might imagine because they have an amazing pair of voices. :yes: