PDA

View Full Version : Daytona?

Oli
13th April 2009, 21:54
Just after some advice guys nice and early as iv still got 7 months (counting) till i can get my full and since forever i have been dreaming of that moment so am already hyping myself up about it and want to be ahead of the curve and get my "big" bike ready and waiting so i dont have to wait at all :).
(i kno its lame but shhhhhh)
I have always been in love with the daytona 675. And I had the privledge of riding a Daytona 675 at a trackday training course at ruapuna and absolutely loved it!!!!!!!!
Can someone be straight up and tell if there is anything really lacking in it?
Also as i know this is important, I ride pretty much 24/7 and dont want to own a car so its definaly a possibility of doing some comuting on it. I know that potenially this mite not be the best for the bike so have considered get a smaller/cheaper bike for the commute.

Anyway any advice would be really good as i have been holding back for 6 months already for this post so i wouldnt look so noob saying that its a year away lol.:innocent:

Cheers, Oliver

YellowDog
13th April 2009, 22:04
The bike is AbFab. Great looking. Loads of power but not ideal for commuting if you do a lot of stop start. Maybe a bit too nice for commuting however it depends upon your particular commute.

Gubb
13th April 2009, 22:08
Aye. Seat is a little thin for communtering. But if your willing to make small sacrifices like that, it's a sensational bit of kit. I found the Streety a better all round bike though.

trumpy
13th April 2009, 22:17
Street Triple R.........:Punk:

Mikkel
13th April 2009, 22:52
Sexiest bike on the market for mid-sized sportsbikes IMHO.

However, for your commuting I'd get something without fairings, better at slow speed manouvers and more focus on low-end grunt. Let's say... a motard, they're fun! (And incidentally the greatest invention to ever reach Banks Peninsula) :yes:

discotex
13th April 2009, 23:00
You owe it to yourself to test ride all the supersports before making a decision.

Not to mention how much fun it is!

saul
14th April 2009, 07:06
They dont have a great steering lock and the seating position is assertive, might be a bit of a pain for constant low speed work.

I am on my fourth and love them but I dont use it for commuting. I have just done a bit of a tour on it and it was brilliant:yes:

Every one of them that I have had has used oil which is a pain oh and the exhaust valve does give a bit of grief:bash:

Apart from that :wari::wari:

MD
14th April 2009, 08:06
Buy one. You wont regret it. They are a classy piece of kit and having THAT British name on the tank is something special. The design and build quality is top notch.

I've done 32,000km in about 16 months. A little commuting and plenty of touring. Rode Wgtn to Taupo on a Saturday, track day on Sunday and rode straight back to Wgtn from the track...arrived home fresh and ready to ride some more. It's more than comfortable enough on tour.

Chch being flat wont be so bad for you commuting ,but I do find crawling downhill around Wgtn is the only time I notice the head down, bum up becoming a pain. Being very narrow aids lane splitting and I find the turning circle to be one of the better by sportsbike standards.

They are kind on gas and tyres while providing an exhilirating riding experience like no other motor does. I can't praise the triple engine enough.

Some say they use up a bit of oil. I check mine once every month or two and it requires a cup of oil, big deal.

I had my first fault this weekend with a flat battery after 32,000 kilometres of perfect running.

If it's mainly for commuting then I'm not sure such a nice stallion of a bike should be used as a mule!

boman
14th April 2009, 09:58
IMHO, for what it is worth, wait until you get your full license, and test ride all the different bikes. I didn't, and I sometimes wish that I had waited instead of buying one first.

:crybaby:

chester
14th April 2009, 20:09
these are good........................:scooter:

TMC
15th April 2009, 15:29
They are siiiiiiiik bro. Grunty as!

disturbed
22nd April 2009, 13:32
Im also looking at one of these. how is the service/ repair/ parts cost compared to the jappa 600's

slydesigns
22nd April 2009, 14:01
cost more for parts BUT hook up with www.truimph675.net and your sorted for parts, experience and mods. Those guys rock and have helped me out heaps with modding mine and supplying parts at a fraction of the cost here.

I have done 7000km in 3 months on my Canadian Import 675 and its been brilliant as a trackday weapon, commuter and laong haul bike. It has the aftermarket gel seat and this helps heaps. The only thing better then the 675 is the Brazilian that goes on the back of it. Its that good a bike.

Its average as a 2 up on long trips although when 2 up on the track it rocked!

disturbed
23rd April 2009, 09:25
cheers sly, yeah ive heard nothng but awesome things about these bikes, and i can pick one up for around $12,000 why go anything else. took an 06 cbr600rr for a blat and my ass was killing me after 1/2 hour, wasnt nice, but yeah a gel seat would be a great investment

slydesigns
23rd April 2009, 13:29
nothing changed apart from graphics from the first one on 06 to the last one in 08. The new 09 has a slightly modded front, wizzy exhaust/inlet valve traction control and 3 more bhp. Otherwise they are all the same.

So there is nothing wrong with a low Km 06 model AND they go as low as $7500!!! The average non dealer price is around $9500.

disturbed
23rd April 2009, 14:16
yeah, not too many on trademe at the moment tho, and the ones that are, are asking dealer prices so id prob go dealer for warranty. didnt u have your 675 on trademe not long ago? thought id seen it somewhere

slydesigns
23rd April 2009, 14:47
Hell no! I've only just imported mine from Canada. There were a couple of other Scourched Yellow ones on there though, I think one was Shawn Harris's. Isle of Man legendary rider and 675 racer!

and dont be fooled... the 675 and the street triple arent the same bike. the 675 is Jessica Alba, the Street Triple is like that chick off Highschool musical - Vanessa Hudgeons, shes ok, similar chassis, similar handling but shes not as fast as Jessica Alba. No way no how!

MD
23rd April 2009, 17:27
Im also looking at one of these. how is the service/ repair/ parts cost compared to the jappa 600's

I'd say better than usual. I've just had the 30k service done $259.
The major service is at 20k, 40k, 60K.. which was about $500, with a lesser service each 10k in between.
I'm impressed with how the smooth power delivery translates to longer tyre life.

From what I've read so far the 09 is far better than just a slight nose job. There are a lot of reviews out now and all are glowing with praise for the 09. Which is a prick really because it's tempting....

raftn
26th April 2009, 09:12
I love the 675, It has everything you could want in a bike.........it also has serious sex appeal!

slydesigns
26th April 2009, 11:56
I love the 675, It has everything you could want in a bike.........it also has serious sex appeal!
and mine has a hot brazilian ass planted on the rear. The perfect machine!

disturbed
26th April 2009, 14:15
haha thats awesome