PDA

View Full Version : Why did Lawrence of Arabia crash?

newbould
13th April 2009, 22:01
I have noticed over the last few months that KB'rs seem to be able to diagnose the causes of each others crashes with unerring accuracy and mutual agreement so thought we may be able to shed some light on this tragedy. Wikipedia reckons there was a dip in the road which hid a couple of kids on bikes, he swerved to avoid them, lost control and whammo. So was there target fixation involved? could he have stopped rather than swerving, was he riding too fast for the conditions? Maybe british roads are as poorly maintained as in NZ?

My personal theory - his bike ran into a time warp and was converted into a GN 250 with the now infamous braking power. Unused to this our hero hit the brakes as usual but his brain was unable to stop in the required 2 meters and was sieved by his nasal passages

Gubb
13th April 2009, 22:06
It was the man in the Book Depository.

Laxi
13th April 2009, 22:07

and hears me thinking he went into hiding with elvis

Ixion
13th April 2009, 22:08
Have you ever ridden a Brough ? Wonderful bikes, just one wee weakness (shared by almost all Briddiah iron unto the 1970s)

rickstv
13th April 2009, 22:10
No. It was the guy on the grassey knoll.

Hitcher
13th April 2009, 22:26
Upside-down forks were clearly to blame.

xwhatsit
13th April 2009, 22:32
GN 250 with the now infamous braking power.
There's nowt wrong with the brakes on a Ginny, you can lock the wheel with even a girlie clench-fist.

Have you ever ridden a Brough ? Wonderful bikes, just one wee weakness (shared by almost all Briddiah iron unto the 1970s)
Are you referring to the brakes? I've read a couple of books now that run down the brakes as being shit-house while the rest of the bike was quite good. Myth borne out of the Lawrence of Arabia crash?

Mikkel
13th April 2009, 22:33
our hero hit the brakes as usual but his brain was unable to stop in the required 2 meters and was sieved by his nasal passages

Funnily enough a few people seem to be able to survive that ordeal - repeatedly.

Ixion
13th April 2009, 22:38
Upside-down forks were clearly to blame.

No, the SS100 had Castle patent forks, which were very good indeed. I don't know if Lawrences machine had the optional extra rear pivot fork suspension or not.

The brakes, on the other hand .........

Motu
13th April 2009, 23:34
There was no reason for our hero to die if he was wearing the correct safety gear - proper one piece colour coordinated Brough Superior leathers,matchting race boots and gloves,a back protector and full face helmet in the graphics of his favorite MotoGP rider...and it would of been all sweet.

There would of been a crash report of Lawrence of Arabia crashing on a group ride,but saved by his Quasi leathers.

FJRider
14th April 2009, 00:02
No... obviously the local Council is at fault. The lack of appropiate warning signage, to warn of changing road conditions is clearly a breach of public safety. And must be prosecuted at all costs....

cheshirecat
14th April 2009, 08:20
I have noticed over the last few months that KB'rs seem to be able to diagnose the causes of each others crashes with unerring accuracy and mutual agreement so thought we may be able to shed some light on this tragedy. Wikipedia reckons there was a dip in the road which hid a couple of kids on bikes, he swerved to avoid them, . . . . .

Some years ago I researched this subject regarding a film "Backing into the Limelight". There was some speculation as to whether it was an accident or not, though we found no evidence it wasn't. LoA had great difficulty fitting back into 'normal' life and no one knew how to handle him.
Shame about the bike.

Okey Dokey
14th April 2009, 09:19
But was he waving at the time of the crash?

scumdog
14th April 2009, 09:50
Funnily enough a few people seem to be able to survive that ordeal - repeatedly.

And still post regularly on KB...

Mikkel
14th April 2009, 11:32
There was no reason for our hero to die if he was wearing the correct safety gear - proper one piece colour coordinated Brough Superior leathers,matchting race boots and gloves,a back protector and full face helmet in the graphics of his favorite MotoGP rider...and it would of been all sweet.

You forgot the high-vis vest - the cornerstone of all safety gear :innocent:

slofox
14th April 2009, 11:44

Of course he was - that's why he lost control...just like he was on a Harley...

eliot-ness
14th April 2009, 13:47
I heard that he braked hard at the end of a straight and was hit from behind by the low flying Bristol Bulldog biplane he had just overtaken. Probably just another urban myth though, even the planes of that era had better brakes than the bikes.

Pogo2
14th April 2009, 17:15
Well I'll be buggered. Thought that only happened in the desert!

MVnut
14th April 2009, 17:24
An article I have on LoA (and his Broughs) suggests he died after a crash ..."probably following a collision with a cyclist"

Ixion
14th April 2009, 17:31
According to the coroner's inquest, he was riding at around 50mph (80kph) on a back road. He went over the brow of a blind hill and found two cyclists in front of him , riding quite legally and safely (the cyclists, I mean).

In swerving to avoid the cyclists he came off (probably highsided) and suffered major head injuries.

It is important to note that Lawrence was a very bad rider, by his own admission frequently rode very dangerously, and had had many previous accidents, suffering a number of broken bones and other injuries.

Nowadays, we'd call him a squid and he'd have lost his licence very quickly.

FJRider
14th April 2009, 19:17

He would have been on a BRITISH bike... they do wave... sometimes...

SARGE
14th April 2009, 19:19

with the candlestick....

Motu
14th April 2009, 19:33
You forgot the high-vis vest - the cornerstone of all safety gear :innocent:

Unlikely - the hi viz vest would cover the colour matched leathers....the cornerstone of looking good in bank windows.

NordieBoy
14th April 2009, 19:48
I heard that he braked hard at the end of a straight and was hit from behind by the low flying Bristol Bulldog biplane he had just overtaken. Probably just another urban myth though, even the planes of that era had better brakes than the bikes.

More likely a Lanz Bulldog (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7775200567316945952)...

Katman
14th April 2009, 19:50
Wikipedia reckons there was a dip in the road which hid a couple of kids on bikes, he swerved to avoid them, lost control and whammo.

See, that was his problem.

Had he been a true motorcyclist, he'd have just taken the kids out and then blamed them for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

PirateJafa
14th April 2009, 19:56
See, that was his problem.

Had he been a true motorcyclist, he'd have just taken the kids out and then blamed them for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
No.

If he was a true motorcyclist, he'd have been too busy posting threads about waving on internet forums to be riding his bike.

Blatman
14th April 2009, 20:55
Well I'll be buggered. Thought that only happened in the desert!
He was gay, so he probably had been buggered in the desert ;)

Dooly
15th April 2009, 10:38
Nowadays, we'd call him a squid and he'd have lost his licence very quickly.

Could he of been Skidmark's great grand daddy?:laugh:

xwhatsit
15th April 2009, 11:54
Could he of been Skidmark's great grand daddy?:laugh:
Possibly, don't forget Lawrence liked it in the batty too. Is it genetic?

varminter
15th April 2009, 19:16
That's what happens when you use a tea towel as a helmet. Let that be a lesson to us all.

doc
15th April 2009, 19:36
faaark... I hope ACC weren't involved in this. Our premiums will go thru the roof

Ixion
15th April 2009, 21:20
Not really. He died within the first week (so no ERC ); and had no dependants. Those ones are cheap as chips for ACC.

xwhatsit
16th April 2009, 00:00
Not really. He died within the first week (so no ERC ); and had no dependants. Those ones are cheap as chips for ACC.
That's why I'm dead against helmets.

Bring back tea towels.