PDA

View Full Version : Road rage as a traffic education tool?

Lou Girardin
10th March 2005, 07:35
I don't know what's going on, but in the last 2 weeks I've had so many close calls from cages and peds that I'm getting seriously paranoid.
This morning a cage ran the red at Sylvan and Onewa when I was 2 metres into the intersection. Which means he had a red for 2-3 secs.
Is it time to start doing bodywork and/or wing mirror modifications on these wankers? It's the only way they'll learn.
And nobody mention *555 ALRIGHT!

Lou Girardin
10th March 2005, 07:43
I don't know what's going on, but in the last 2 weeks I've had so many close calls from cages and peds that I'm getting seriously paranoid.
This morning a cage ran the red at Sylvan and Onewa when I was 2 metres into the intersection. Which means he had a red for 2-3 secs.
Is it time to start doing bodywork and/or wing mirror modifications on these wankers? It's the only way they'll learn.
And nobody mention *555, ALRIGHT!

ManDownUnder
10th March 2005, 07:52
And nobody mention *555, ALRIGHT!

Glad to hear you came out of it ok... but yes I've sometimes wondered about that...

Gloves with the knuckle protectors on them (kevlar?) give a good loud "crack" if you smack 'em on any handy window... give's the driver the shits if they're in range. I'm not too keen to try it on paintwork but I think that would also have the desired effect.

If things escalated at that point bikers have a 2fold advantage...
1) already wearing protection... so a smack in the head won't hurt so much...
2) we can just slowly weedle away through traffic afterwards (a recommended course of action...)

Get the # plate next time Lou - the cops have a driver complaint form you can fill out and apparently they follow them up with a warning notice or some other threatening, yet non punative, device...

MDU

**R1**
10th March 2005, 07:59
road rage works...but its not a good idea....copers last year tried to fuck me over for trying to put my fist thru a boy racers window, said it carried a penalty of jail time.

Wolf
10th March 2005, 08:48
I've often thought about having serrated metal fixed into the sole of the boot, protruding out about a centimetre or so - just enough to ensure a new paint-job was in the near future.

flyin
10th March 2005, 09:01
ive found while filtering at a reasonable pace, one can meerly "adjust" most wingmirrors either with the folding springy function or squeese the side so they have to open their window and correst it, (more appropriate fro those who jst havn't seen us)
i guess it's a good wake up call and they will be watchin for any biikes behind me so as not to loose thier mirrors.

if the cager has seen you and moves over jst cos they are a jelous CXXT then the most effective option may be to step it up and take that wingmirror home for your stash!!

Marmoot
10th March 2005, 10:12
*555 is too bloody expensive....
it should've been free, y'know....

On the lighter note, I always envy those who can simply chuckle when they watch something like that happens. Patience is a good virtue which I do not have much.
It is good if you can always see the world from the brighter side, y'know....

Lou Girardin
10th March 2005, 10:30
*555 is too bloody expensive....
it should've been free, y'know....

On the lighter note, I always envy those who can simply chuckle when they watch something like that happens. Patience is a good virtue which I do not have much.
It is good if you can always see the world from the brighter side, y'know....

I lose my sense of humour when some inbreed misses my front wheel by a metre
@60 k's.
I've just seen what happened to BIG Bill's Rocket 3 when a cage took out the front wheel. Just as well he couldn't get up after the accident, can you imagine having a seriously pissed off 20-25 stone Angel wanting to discus your lack of driving ability.

Lou Girardin
10th March 2005, 11:32
Sorry people, somehow I posted this thread twice.

Gasman
10th March 2005, 11:41
It's an endless problem, and it's getting worse. Even here in Christchurch, where, lets face it, traffic is pretty cruisey, we're getting so many more jerks going through red lights. I always check in both directions before moving off. Last week it saved me from an almost certain smash. But what's even more amazing is that some of the wankers going through red lights are on pushbikes!!

:ar15: :angry2: So what are they then??

Biff
10th March 2005, 12:02
Sorry people, somehow I posted this thread twice.

No prblem Lou, you must be suffering from an episode I read of recently known as 'Direct Inconclusive Cage Killing by Careless Arsehole Gonna Earn Rectal Surgery' (D.I.C.K C.A.G.E.R.S).

Glad to hear you're ok. My rule of thumb is always to count to ten, if you still feel like 'having a word' after ten make sure the bike engine is running and you have an escape route planned before losing the plot with pricks in cages.

Ixion
10th March 2005, 12:50
(when a cager has tried to kill me and wouldn't stop for a "little talk") - follow them, in the morning rush they're probably on their way to work. Note where they stop, ie their workplace. And note their rego number.

Then (can be later, even days later , if that suits), call in, looking very respectable (I make a point to wear a suit and tie). Ask to speak to either the HR manager or the GM .

Point out that the driving attitudes of their staff are a social liability. Point out also that employers have at least a social responsibility for the behaviour of people on their way to work . A lot of these onanists are driving company vehicles. Once HR hear about bad driving in a company vehicle they tend to become quite PC and "don't endorse such behaviour, oh no no no ".

So the wan**r gets in strife with the boss :niceone:

And, yes, yes, I am the sort of prick that will take the trouble to do that.

As far as *555 goes, I used to use it, then I heard that the police completel;y ignore it - it's just window dressing. And half the time you can't even get an answer. At the best of times, I can't actually imagine the police taking a complaint from a biker very seriously.

Also, I don't really like the idea of people dobbing each other in. The problem is that it gets abused by Stan and Mabel, busy phoning *555 to report "this dreadful motorcyclist racing around at monstrous speeds, and behaving ever so rudely"

Wolf
10th March 2005, 13:04
if you still feel like 'having a word' after ten make sure the bike engine is running and you have an escape route planned before losing the plot with pricks in cages.
And don't forget: if they start to get out of the car, a motorcycle boot applied to the car door just as they're putting weight on their foot and starting to rise out of the seat can usually take out their shin and their face simultaneously.

Also, full-face helmets held by the chin guard make good weapons but it means uncovering your face.

Worst I've resorted to, aside from horn blasts and obscene jestures, was to follow the cager wherever they went. They soon got the message.

Hitting the horn and jesturing wildly can sometimes only provoke the wanker's own road rage:

I had a GT50 - all I could afford at the time. Was rolling down the street at 50km/h and a car braked, without indicating, right in front of me. I hit the horn as I swerved past and continued up the road, As I went by I noticed the driver - a large fucked-off-looking guy with a Mongrel Mob patch "oh shit"

I glanced behind me as I turned down a side street and discovered the car was coming after me, fast. A bit further on the road curved to the right. Just before I took the corner I looked in the rear view mirror to find the car on the wrong side of the road, accelerating hard.

I kept the bike straight and threw out every anchor I had, came to an abrupt halt just before the curb. The car continued straight on its own path and crossed back into the correct lane, turned too late and clipped the curb before continuing up the road. There's no doubt that if I'd taken the turn I'd've turned straight into him and that that was his intention. Bastard was trying ram me of the road (without leaving any incriminating front end damage to his car.)

He stopped further up the road so I pivoted about my boot (never done that on the tarmac before but necessity was handing out lessons right and left) and fucked off outta there, back onto the main road, took a couple of side streets fast and hid until I figured it was safe to sneak home.

First time in my life I play "Car Wars" for real and all I've got is a bloody GT50! Fortunately I had my wits about me at all times.

Apologies to any who were expecting a Hollywood style side-ramming battle through the streets, but real life doesn't work that way - not even between cars.

Lou Girardin
10th March 2005, 13:52
No prblem Lou, you must be suffering from an episode I read of recently known as 'Direct Inconclusive Cage Killing by Careless Arsehole Gonna Earn Rectal Surgery' (D.I.C.K C.A.G.E.R.S).

Glad to hear you're ok. My rule of thumb is always to count to ten, if you still feel like 'having a word' after ten make sure the bike engine is running and you have an escape route planned before losing the plot with pricks in cages.

Yes, I had a 'word'. Several in fact, mostly beginning with f's and c's when the wanker stopped in the queue 30 f'ing metres down the road.
He wound his window up pretty damn quick. Yellow bellied scumbag isn't so brave when his cars not moving.

sAsLEX
10th March 2005, 14:54
I lose my sense of humour when some inbreed misses my front wheel by a metre
@60 k's.
I've just seen what happened to BIG Bill's Rocket 3 when a cage took out the front wheel. Just as well he couldn't get up after the accident, can you imagine having a seriously pissed off 20-25 stone Angel wanting to discus your lack of driving ability.

Wonder what this cage was thinking!!??

Wolf
10th March 2005, 15:00
Dunno, but whatever it was, I suspect the bikers could smell it...

Skyryder
10th March 2005, 18:09

At the risk of getting canned, I put all this down to daylight saving. Too many tired drivers out there. I wonder how the accident stats 'stack up' for this time of year. :spudwhat: :spudwhat:

Gen
10th March 2005, 18:15
The stories you guys and girls have to tell about near misses is scary.
I feel freaked out enough when I just miss getting hit when I'm in the cage, never mind feeling vulnerable and open on a bike.
I need a :apint:

Waylander
10th March 2005, 18:27
DAMN!!!! That's just something you DON'T FUCKIN DO!!! And they are Hell's Angels to boot.

On another note I saw a bike the other day that had a car's side mirror for his mirror. Only had the one so I guess it only happend the once but it was a cool way to warn other idiots that crossing a biker is dangerous.

inlinefour
11th March 2005, 02:17
(when a cager has tried to kill me and wouldn't stop for a "little talk") - follow them, in the morning rush they're probably on their way to work. Note where they stop, ie their workplace. And note their rego number.

Then (can be later, even days later , if that suits), call in, looking very respectable (I make a point to wear a suit and tie). Ask to speak to either the HR manager or the GM .

Point out that the driving attitudes of their staff are a social liability. Point out also that employers have at least a social responsibility for the behaviour of people on their way to work . A lot of these onanists are driving company vehicles. Once HR hear about bad driving in a company vehicle they tend to become quite PC and "don't endorse such behaviour, oh no no no ".

So the wan**r gets in strife with the boss :niceone:

And, yes, yes, I am the sort of prick that will take the trouble to do that.

As far as *555 goes, I used to use it, then I heard that the police completel;y ignore it - it's just window dressing. And half the time you can't even get an answer. At the best of times, I can't actually imagine the police taking a complaint from a biker very seriously.

Also, I don't really like the idea of people dobbing each other in. The problem is that it gets abused by Stan and Mabel, busy phoning *555 to report "this dreadful motorcyclist racing around at monstrous speeds, and behaving ever so rudely"

What a bloody good idea. I'm also the sort of prick that would also do that. Will have to give it a go at some time :niceone: