PDA

View Full Version : Biker killed upper harbour

The Pastor
10th March 2005, 08:06
Today is a sad day :weep:

A biker was killed while splitting down the middle of upper harbour drive today when a rubbish truck pulled out and killed him.

Its pretty close to gareth_d's place........

ManDownUnder
10th March 2005, 08:08
Today is a sad day :weep:

A biker was killed while splitting down the middle of upper harbour drive today when a rubbish truck pulled out and killed him.

Its pretty close to gareth_d's place........

oooo not good. Hope it's not anyone from here. ANyone know anything more?

vifferman
10th March 2005, 08:14
That's no good. :no:

While we're on the topic - there was some silly prat lane-splitting over the Harbour Bridge last night, headed North. Fair enough, mebbe, except the traffic was moving at a slow but steady pace, and the silly fooker was wearing shorts and shoes, and (I think) no gloves. :nono:
All very well, must've saved him at least a minute in his commute....

If you're going to lane-split peoples, make sure that it's really necessary, and that you are careful. And wear proper protective gear, even if it is hot!

jrandom
10th March 2005, 08:33
Apparently the fatality on UHD happened quite early this morning, wonder if it was still dark, and whether that contributed.

Poor bastard.

I go that way, some days. But I don't filter much.

Hmmm, on a tangential note, I got a slap on the wrist from a nice man on an ST1100 this morning along the NW who took pity on me and didn't hand out a ticket for passing on the left, which would have carried a big whack of demerit points, what with the new regs and all that. Naughty me, and thank you, Mr Bearded Bike Cop, if you're reading this. I promise to, er, reform my degenerate riding habits. Ahem.

And talking of filtering over the harbour bridge, I followed a Hells Angel on a V-Rod over it to the Nelson St intersection, yesterday evening. He was doing that really weird 'lean your body the OTHER way in the corners' thing that Harley riders do. I have no idea why. Is it something to do with steering geometry?

ManDownUnder
10th March 2005, 08:38
Hmmm, on a tangential note, I got a slap on the wrist from a nice man on an ST1100 this morning along the NW who took pity on me and didn't hand out a ticket for passing on the left, which would have carried a big whack of demerit points, what with the new regs and all that. Naughty me, and thank you, Mr Bearded Bike Cop, if you're reading this. I promise to, er, reform my degenerate riding habits. Ahem.

And talking of filtering over the harbour bridge, I followed a Hells Angel on a V-Rod over it to the Nelson St intersection, yesterday evening. He was doing that really weird 'lean your body the OTHER way in the corners' thing that Harley riders do. I have no idea why. Is it something to do with steering geometry?

Was that you near the Patiki onramp citybound? I was following the bus down the buslane wondering if I'd see lights in my mirror...

Good to see you have reformed your ways young man... maybe I'll think of doing the same... one day... maybe

jrandom
10th March 2005, 08:47
Was that you near the Patiki onramp citybound? I was following the bus down the buslane wondering if I'd see lights in my mirror...

Nooooo, I was pulled over a few hundred meters after the Great North Rd onramp, past the Carrington Rd bridge. And it was quite a bit later than you usually ride in, anyway. Probably not me.

Good to see you have reformed your ways young man... maybe I'll think of doing the same... one day... maybe

Oh, yes, I'm feeling very... reformed. Ahem. I have seen the, er, light.

ManDownUnder
10th March 2005, 08:51
[QUOTE=jrandom]Nooooo, I was pulled over a few hundred meters after the Great North Rd onramp, past the Carrington Rd bridge. And it was quite a bit later than you usually ride in, anyway. Probably not me.
QUOTE]

Well that cop had a busy morning then... I came in late this morning, and I'm willing to bet it was the same guy, but he'd only made it to Patiki.

Happy to hear you are on the straight and narrow now... (like that'll last more than an hour or two)...

jrandom
10th March 2005, 08:54
Well that cop had a busy morning then...

Oh, yes. He cut short his conversation with me as another biker hooned past (passing on the left, even... shocking) with the words "Right! I'll go play with HIM now."

vifferman
10th March 2005, 09:19
I got a slap on the wrist from a nice man on an ST1100 this morning along the NW who took pity on me and didn't hand out a ticket for passing on the left, which would have carried a big whack of demerit points, what with the new regs and all that.
It's just so hard not to, sometimes. Like when the traffic has a big tailback from the bridge to Ponsonby, it's bloody frustrating (and HOT!) sitting in it waiting for it to move. Can't pass on the right, as there's a double yellow line, and on the on-ramp, the silly car drivers leave heaps of space on the left, but none on the right, selfish bastidges that they are...

ManDownUnder
10th March 2005, 09:24
It's just so hard not to, sometimes. Like when the traffic has a big tailback from the bridge to Ponsonby, it's bloody frustrating (and HOT!) sitting in it waiting for it to move. Can't pass on the right, as there's a double yellow line, and on the on-ramp, the silly car drivers leave heaps of space on the left, but none on the right, selfish bastidges that they are...

I think it's human nature... driver's side is on the right and everyone wants to see what's going on - so they drift right.

They clearly need a bus lane there...

jrandom
10th March 2005, 09:25

He did mention that it's fine if the traffic being passed on the left is stationary, and that I was welcome to go nuts if I could do it while staying on the right of the cars within a lane.

In this case, it wasn't, and I didn't...

ManDownUnder
10th March 2005, 09:30
He did mention that it's fine if the traffic being passed on the left is stationary, and that I was welcome to go nuts if I could do it while staying on the right of the cars within a lane.

In this case, it wasn't, and I didn't...

Ergo... if all cages stayed left in their lanes, lane splitting would actually be passing and be fine!

ooo - now there's something we need to encourage!

vifferman
10th March 2005, 09:57
He did mention that it's fine if the traffic being passed on the left is stationary
"Fine" essentially meaning, "Not technically legal, but not unsafe, so (apart from prats that ticket everything that moves, and tickets things that don't move till they do) we'll generally turn a blind eye" ?:spudwhat: Given that passing on the left is specifically prohibited by law....

I sorta get around it by sticking my left confirminator on when passing on the left, so I could always say, "Well... the traffic wasn't moving, and I was going left just up here, so I thought it wouldn't hurt if I sneaked up the inside..."

Last night I tried to be good, and sat in traffic almost all the way to the motorway, but the bike got hotterer and hotterer (106, to be precise), and my hand was getting sore from holding the clutch in, so I only made it to within about 100m of the motorway before I had to pass some cars (on the left - there was no room on the right). Then I was good for a minute or two, until I saw that no-one knew how to merge, and I bypassed the confusion and zapped up the inside until past the MergingMaelstrom and quietly slipped in between some cars, to become all law-abiding again. :yeah:

It's getting worse! Although this morning was strangely non-chaotic and there were no real hold-ups in getting to work, so I was there 21 minutes after I left home. And no lane-splitting or other law-breaking, unless you count:
Exceeding the posted speed limit (5 times)
Unnecessary/excessive acceleration (7 times)
Failure to ensure both wheels are on the road surface at all times (3 times)
Thinking unkind thoughts about fellow motorists (4 times)
Swearing at another motorist (once).

Lou Girardin
10th March 2005, 11:41
If you do pass on the right, it'll be a very sharp eyed cop that'll see the occasional wander over the centreline. If you're on the left you're toast.
Most importantly, don't do it when a Policeman is watching.

jrandom
10th March 2005, 13:09

Oh, arrr, yes, wot 'e said. Normally I keep the Mk I Eyeball absolutely peeled down that stretch of motorway in both directions, the bike cops love to hang out on the side of the road there and watch the lanes. But I hadn't had any coffee this morning, and wasn't really paying attention.

Which is why I didn't see him standing on the motorway shoulder watching me until I was halfway through my naughty illegal maneuver. Checked my mirror, saw him hop on the ST and come after me, said several bad words into my helmet, pulled into the slow lane and waited for the inevitable.

Oh well. Schmidt happens.

ManDownUnder
10th March 2005, 13:43
Oh, arrr, yes, wot 'e said. Normally I keep the Mk I Eyeball absolutely peeled down that stretch of motorway in both directions, the bike cops love to hang out on the side of the road there and watch the lanes. But I hadn't had any coffee this morning, and wasn't really paying attention.

Which is why I didn't see him standing on the motorway shoulder watching me until I was halfway through my naughty illegal maneuver. Checked my mirror, saw him hop on the ST and come after me, said several bad words into my helmet, pulled into the slow lane and waited for the inevitable.

Oh well. Schmidt happens.

A HA! You're guilty of not drinking (enough coffee) and riding!

EEDJIT!

*Guilty* Sentenced to 2 days feeling stupid and slightly sorry foryourself (optional

NEXT CASE!
Judge down under

Dr Bob
10th March 2005, 14:31
If you do pass on the right, it'll be a very sharp eyed cop that'll see the occasional wander over the centreline. If you're on the left you're toast.

Although if you have read the traffic regulations and try to abide by them and then some silly prat moves over to the right hand side of the lane while you were overtaking them with due care and consideration and with appropriate warning then the traffic officer should go and find that person that caused you - the innocent victim in all of this - to take evasive action, and give them a ticket.

sAsLEX
10th March 2005, 15:02
isn't failing to keep as far left as safe or something a new demeritable offence??

The dude should of been ticketing all the wankers who sit in the far right of the fast lane leaving about a metre and a half on their left that just beckons you to ride in!

I just change lanes real often while splitting changing the indicator as I am so its more a weave through the larger gaps than a constant passing on the left or right.

Ixion
10th March 2005, 15:41
"Fine" essentially meaning, "Not technically legal, but not unsafe, so (apart from prats that ticket everything that moves, and tickets things that don't move till they do) we'll generally turn a blind eye" ?:spudwhat: Given that passing on the left is specifically prohibited by law....

From the Road Code

You can only pass on the left when:

there are two or more lanes on your side of the centre line, and you are able to pass safely by using the left-hand lane
you are directed to by a police officer
the vehicle you are passing:

has stopped, or
is signalling a right turn, or
is turning right

At all other times you must pass on the right.

So, *IF* the traffic is really stopped you can overtake on the left. However, law or no law, if Mr Plod decides to do you, he can no doubt find some good and sufficent reason.

SPman
10th March 2005, 16:46
Naughty me, and thank you, Mr Bearded Bike Cop, if you're reading this.
Sounds like it could be Noel. Was he ..er..middle aged?

jrandom
10th March 2005, 17:01
Sounds like it could be Noel. Was he ..er..middle aged?

You mean, like, positively ancient?

:lol:

Yeah.

Waylander
10th March 2005, 17:31
Got pulled over today on my way home from work for weaving in my lane. Traffic was slow doin about 30ks so I start weaving from bordom. Am about a meter behind the car in front and no one behind me so I was safe and there was a median between me and oncoming traffic. In the states this would be legal and the cops wouldnt care so long as I didnt do it crazily by passing the centre line or speeding.
Ohwell nice cop guy didn't give me a ticket (because I was still on my US license)

SPman
10th March 2005, 17:47
You mean, like, positively ancient?

:lol:

Yeah.

Rides a BMW (yeah yeah)

FAST! (for an ancient old geezer)

jrandom
10th March 2005, 20:48
Rides a BMW (yeah yeah)

FAST! (for an ancient old geezer)

Well, next time you run into him (figuratively speaking) tell him that he did his good deed for the week letting me off, and I owe him a couple of pints at Galbraiths, redeemable if we manage to synchronise a Friday KB meet there with one of his days off.

Kwaka-Kid
10th March 2005, 22:27
Firstly - Sorry for Hijacking the thread, and i will say sad to hear about the motorcyclist whom died this morning.

Secondly, Daniel-the Bearded old bastard that interrupted your morning commute today says your welcome, for the thanks. -A word of advice- His beedy little eyes will be casted in your direction of commute just to make sure you are practising your new found ways you speak of.

Thirdly, Its not Noel, he is still hiding in auckland city and doesnt play out on the motorway.

Motu
10th March 2005, 22:37
And so whose was the Cop Bike on the back of the tow truck yesterday??

Kwaka-Kid
10th March 2005, 22:44
minor mishap with suspected deisel or the likes on road is the rumour that came thru here.

dont know exact details however he was okay and just lost minor skin.

FROSTY
10th March 2005, 22:57
Firstly - Sorry for Hijacking the thread, and i will say sad to hear about the motorcyclist whom died this morning.

Secondly, Daniel-the Bearded old bastard that interrupted your morning commute today says your welcome, for the thanks. -A word of advice- His beedy little eyes will be casted in your direction of commute just to make sure you are practising your new found ways you speak of.

Thirdly, Its not Noel, he is still hiding in auckland city and doesnt play out on the motorway.
So lets just get this straight KK --it wasn;t nodman on the harbour bridge about 9.10am thursday ?

SEAGULL
10th March 2005, 23:00
I'm always looking out for cops on my morning commuter trips into Wellington. Road works so bloody long you cant aaaavoid but lane split. I got pulled over at McKays Crossing near Raumati said I have to have an available lane!! wel it was available but not in the eyes of the law when it suits. I was lucky, didnt geta ticket. Told me I should have been wairing my glasses as indicated on my licence. Told him if I did I would crash as they would've fogged up. If you only need glasses to read, make sure they are not endorsed on your licence as by law you should be wearing them. Got a new licence now with out them.

jrandom
11th March 2005, 06:00
Secondly, Daniel-the Bearded old bastard that interrupted your morning commute today says your welcome, for the thanks.

Aha!

Oooh, I *knew* he'd get me one day, knew it, knew it... how embarrassing.

A word of advice- His beedy little eyes will be casted in your direction of commute just to make sure you are practising your new found ways you speak of.

No worries, if he nicks me again it will be an entirely fair cop and I'll bend over all the way.

But of course he won't nick me, because I won't be doing nuffin' naughty, coz I have been Saved, and am now a Vessel of Law-Abiding Sweetness and Light.

So is there another little KB logo with a stroke through it painted on his fairing now, fighter-pilot style, then?

ManDownUnder
11th March 2005, 06:33
So is there another little KB logo with a stroke through it painted on his fairing now, fighter-pilot style, then?

Now that'd be good for a laugh - get the stickers pre-printed , complete with the cross through them. Everytime one of us gets nicked the cop gets issued another sticker for their bikes!

... but then - that'd onlyu encourage them ...

hmmm - lemme think that one through a little more maybe...

jrandom
11th March 2005, 07:56
Ahem.

Well, I'm at the office now, and I would just like to say that Nodman has a very evil sense of humour, and I am glad that I had a spare pair of undies in my bag this morning.

KK, if you ever giggle about this in my presence, I will beat you, I swear.

I think I'm going to start taking the bus.

Or commuting via Riverhead-Coatesville.

vifferman
11th March 2005, 08:06
Ahem.

Well, I'm at the office now, and I would just like to say that Nodman has a very evil sense of humour, and I am glad that I had a spare pair of undies in my bag this morning.
You can't "just" say that - we need more details, so we can mock you... ah .. I mean - so we can be warned in future and ride more carefullier and safelier.:yeah:

jrandom
11th March 2005, 08:18
You can't "just" say that - we need more details, so we can mock you... ah .. I mean - so we can be warned in future and ride more carefullier and safelier.:yeah:

Er...

How can I put this...

"He lay in wait and nicked me again this morning with a huge grin on his face"?

Yeah, that probably describes it well enough.

:o

750Y
11th March 2005, 10:30
arrgh! more bad news. sorry to hear about this one... RIP

Lou Girardin
11th March 2005, 10:41
How about a cop car sticker for every time you've beaten Stalker or Laser.
On second thoughts, scrub that, too many coppers read this. It'd be an even surer ticket than having a detector and being a 'sophisticated' speeder.

vifferman
11th March 2005, 10:45
How about a cop car sticker for every time you've beaten Stalker or Laser.
On second thoughts, scrub that, too many coppers read this. It'd be an even surer ticket than having a detector and being a 'sophisticated' speeder.
Does that mean that whenever there's a KB-organised ride, there's a risk of some police attention?

ManDownUnder
11th March 2005, 10:48
JR - as much as I am laughing about this morning (and trust me... I AM laughing).... any chance ofv starting this off in another thread. An RIP thread is a little inappropriate for that?

Rant over...

The Pastor
11th March 2005, 13:29
Yeah, keep to the topic. Does anyone know who it was?

jrandom
11th March 2005, 14:07
JR - as much as I am laughing about this morning (and trust me... I AM laughing).... any chance ofv starting this off in another thread. An RIP thread is a little inappropriate for that?

I thought of that, myself. You're welcome to ping Blakamin and ask him to split it off.

Kwaka-Kid
11th March 2005, 18:17
FIRSTLY: there is no need to keep to the topic! :) somebody jumped the gun and apparently the biker survived the accident altho there is serious injury involved, unable to get an update since 8am this morning, but that news is better then when i first read this thread.

So on the better note. JRandom i laughed so hard when i heard this morning, but what made me laugh EVEN harder was when yet another KB'er was nicked shortly afterwards, without giving too many details, it must have been a very Frosty morning.

Anyway Message from bearded biker is "same time, same bike, new bridge - lets try greenhithe Monday son? Untill then have a safe weekend"

Lastly id like to say by the sounds he is pretty happy that for a change he gets some appreciation and thanks for giving a warning, unlike some previous experiences when trying to cut some slack.

Logs

jrandom
12th March 2005, 07:07
it must have been a very Frosty morning.

:killingme

KARMA!

Anyway Message from bearded biker is "same time, same bike, new bridge - lets try greenhithe Monday son?

Ooooh, hell no, I think I'll stay out of range for a week until he forgets what I look like, SH28 and Coatesville for me...

Kwaka-Kid
12th March 2005, 07:23
'says He can make coatsville if you can.

Im lovin this :) wish my job was just to play cat and mouse with the KB'ers!

Lou Girardin
14th March 2005, 07:24
'says He can make coatsville if you can.

Im lovin this :) wish my job was just to play cat and mouse with the KB'ers!

If he really wants to fill a dozen ticket books, why doesn't he book cage drivers failing to keep left. Then we can filter legally. A win/win situation for all.(Except cagers and who cares about them?)

ManDownUnder
14th March 2005, 07:56
If he really wants to fill a dozen ticket books, why doesn't he book cage drivers failing to keep left. Then we can filter legally. A win/win situation for all.(Except cagers and who cares about them?)

HELL YES!

I'm not sure what's worse... trying to stay upright riding all over them bloody bobbly things between the lanes, the occasional ridge in the bitchomen where they've lapped the edges together... nearly flush (and it throws your bike sideways with little/NO warning), all the while trying to keep passing cars to the right of their lanes and looking out for cops when you have to do anything else.

... or so a friend of mine told me anyway - he apparenetly does this thing called "Lane splitting" ... never tried it myself - wouldn't dare....

JR told me it was a bad BAD thing to do - he's seen the light and will never get caught doing it again...

ManDownUnder
14th March 2005, 07:57
:killingme

KARMA!

Ooooh, hell no, I think I'll stay out of range for a week until he forgets what I look like, SH28 and Coatesville for me...

Swing by my place - Kumeu... we can swap bikes, he pulls me over (on your bike) get's a tad confused - we keep that up for a week and it's game over... no?

Kwaka-Kid
14th March 2005, 17:19

i dont remember mentioning filling a dozen ticket books? Infact i think there are far more warnings in notebook then there are tickets in ticketbook for bikes. However, these guys are only the messengers, dont ever flame the messenger, do you think the boss would appreciate him coming back with a ticketbook full of keeping left tickets?, and do you think it would make any noticable difference? It would take orders from far above to have all cops writing tickets for keeping left, and then would it still make naff all difference? and then do we write tickets to all the bikes that dont keep left, like 99% of all bikes i see, always sitting right waiting for a moment to overtake - how long sitting right is too long? is this what all the car drivers are doing, thats what they could be, is that a ligit excuse? and if not id hope bikes are not alowed to either?

As you have undoubtedly well figured out by now Luigi, there are too many shades of grey on such a ruling to use it as an excuse for failing to obide by the law yourself.

Despite this there are many other laws that are overlooked when it comes to filtering, obviously filtering is slang and not recognised in law (correct? maybe not?) and what it actually is is overtaking. Im pretty sure in many cases of your typical bikers filtering you do not have what is required to make a safe and legal overtake, i.e 100m of clear view distance after you have pulled in (every time?!) etc etc etc.

I think unfortunatly as much as i would love to support bikers and do "filter" myself, that we do have it fairly easy, and am not going to go off @ officers because of my own inadequacies

Lou Girardin
15th March 2005, 07:24
My post was tongue in cheek KK, relax.
BTW. there is no way a car can overtake in nose to tail traffic, change lanes maybe.
My fuzzy recollection of the regulations tells me that you don't need a 100 metre gap between you and the car ahead when you complete your passing manouevre, just sufficient space to maintain a safe following distance. If it were so, there'd be no overtaking in Auckland period.

PS Your logic re. tickets for failing to keep left is impeccable. It's been proven over the last 5 years by the anti-speed policy.

Kwaka-Kid
15th March 2005, 17:30
i am relaxed :) and understand your post. Just jumped at the excuse to express my opinion.

and no the fact that there is another car there doesnt matter, but they do state 100m clear view or something to the gst of that, meaning saftey and that you can see, and that there is not another oncoming car.

And yeah way cars can overtake in nose to tail, i been caught by the fuzz managing to do exactly that, i swear i have never seen a car lane split so well, it was amazing, caught right up to me in a matter of seconds, dont ever think you can get away by lane splitting, because it is often surprising how they can spring up on you.

nodrog
15th March 2005, 19:16
Does that mean that whenever there's a KB-organised ride, there's a risk of some police attention?

i have thought about that too, personally i think it would be better just to post a meeting place and a rough idea of the direction of the ride, leaving the exact route until everybody has met up on the day. thats just my five cents worth.

Lou Girardin
17th March 2005, 07:21
i am relaxed :) and understand your post. Just jumped at the excuse to express my opinion.

and no the fact that there is another car there doesnt matter, but they do state 100m clear view or something to the gst of that, meaning saftey and that you can see, and that there is not another oncoming car.

And yeah way cars can overtake in nose to tail, i been caught by the fuzz managing to do exactly that, i swear i have never seen a car lane split so well, it was amazing, caught right up to me in a matter of seconds, dont ever think you can get away by lane splitting, because it is often surprising how they can spring up on you.

What? He was lane splitting in a car because he thought your lane splitting on a bike was dangerous?

Kwaka-Kid
17th March 2005, 18:00
well yeah i been pulled over like that

but it is dangerous, to myself, whereas his is with flashing lights and sirens at will, he is also caged up so alot safer himself.

aswell as the fact that he whoever it was that pulled me over (and thanks for the warning whoever u are) is a coppa, so undoubtly has alot more experience and training then me, he is a professional driver, im nobody.
Its all good.