PDA

View Full Version : Rep points - who gives a toss?

FzerozeroT
10th March 2005, 18:54
The title says it all, who here actually takes rep points seriously? I only give them out if I'm REALLY impressed with someone or as a joke.

Skunk
10th March 2005, 20:00
I am sick to death of reading about 'rep points'. There's even sigs asking for them! :brick:

TonyB
10th March 2005, 20:00
Well, it is kinda cool when you get rep points for giving some sage advice or whatever (no wonder I don't have many). But I do wonder if they are part of the reason why there is a whole heap ofnon bike related stuff (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9740) cropping up here.

c4.
10th March 2005, 20:31
hear,hear. f*ck the forum point scorers

riffer
10th March 2005, 20:33
Amen to that chaps.

Of course, the older I get, the less I give a shit what others think about me.

Maybe therein lies the answer to your question.

jrandom
10th March 2005, 20:39
This is a perfect example of a thread that should not exist, and only harms the forum's signal-to-noise ratio.

Waylander
10th March 2005, 20:43
This is a perfect example of a thread that should not exist, and only harms the forum's signal-to-noise ratio.

Yea figures you wouldn't care about rep points, look how many you have:niceone:

jrandom
10th March 2005, 20:58
Yea figures you wouldn't care about rep points, look how many you have:niceone:

I didn't get them by whoring for them. Each and every one has come as a pleasant surprise, usually with an insightful, appreciative or otherwise meaningful and enjoyable remark from the repper, and always because of the actual content of a post I made.

That's what it's *supposed* to be about.

Waylander
10th March 2005, 21:06
I didn't get them by whoring for them. Each and every one has come as a pleasant surprise, usually with an insightful, appreciative or otherwise meaningful and enjoyable remark from the repper, and always because of the actual content of a post I made.

That's what it's *supposed* to be about.

Heh, just as in bikes and cages (and everything else) there are some who miss-use and abuse the rep points. And what was that "I didn't get them by whoring for them," suposed to be about aye? I hope you didn't mistake my post as something serious.:niceone:

Ramius
10th March 2005, 21:49
I am sorry guys, I somehow feel somewhat responsible for starting a thread or three about rep points, in all honesty, I don't care about them, I am not on this site for them, I am here to enjoy the one hobby I have in life, or is it more of a lifestyle, either way, that is bikes. I find what I can talk about in regards to bikes somewhat limited now that I do not have one, but I will pop my nose in whenever I can to say hi, and if I know something I wil say something.

Sorry guys... :2thumbsup

---Translation---
Whoever knows pain is raised
from the fire that burns in desire
A sparking thrust
into her womb
A hot cry
fire at will!

Bang bang
Fire at will! (It Deutsch, literally translated it means fire freely but is the same as the english was of saying this line)

inlinefour
11th March 2005, 00:56
But the way this site has been running lately, I no longer give a toss. :whocares:

moko
11th March 2005, 04:33
Good idea until the abuse sets in.I rarely give them but if someone`s said somethign insightful or cracked a really good funny then it`s nice to show a bit of appreciation.last one I gave was to a bloke whose post I didn`t even agree with but his view was still relevent and put across properly.I`d scrap neg rep,I`ve had 4 from one source and all but one merely for disagreeing with the guy in a totally non-abusive manner.more work for admin I guess but if possible they should give a couple of days notice then take all rep points from those touting for them,might just be a bit relevent then.

Zed
11th March 2005, 05:24
...I`d scrap neg rep,I`ve had 4 from one source and all but one merely for disagreeing with the guy in a totally non-abusive manner.Well I'm the guy who gave those negative rep points to moko and I can honestly say that he deserved each one because of the blatant personal attacks he made against me and the utter disrespect he has for the Bible and those who believe it!

I'm happy with the rep points system as it stands - I had 6 negative reps given to me at once by a senior member in the past so I know how it feels, but it's all fun and games and not to be taken too seriously at the end of the day. :angry2:

Ps. moko was the individual who nominated me for most of the Flame Warrior awards you see above, and all his nomination comments were negative attacks against me...and he moans about 4 negative reps given to him so unjustly - he is by no means innocent. :done:

FzerozeroT
11th March 2005, 06:27
Jrandom, I'm putting this up because I'm pushing to not have them displayed and want to see If i would have support for that. I see that the non-displaying of post count is coming up now as well in another thread.

Sniper
11th March 2005, 06:28
Im a bad influence I know, Its all bugjuices fault. He made me do it.

moko
11th March 2005, 08:30
Well I'm the gay who gave those negative rep points to moko and I can honestly say that he deserved each one because of the blatant personal attacks he made against me and the utter disrespect he has for the Bible and those who believe it!

Incorrect zed, 3 were for merely disagreeing with you and taking the time to state my case. Why should I respect the bible? We`ve done this one elsewhere.I dont disrespect those who believe it but I do dis-respect bigots and those incapable of proper debate.the 4th point was for a post I made where typically you didn`t have the balls to defend yourself in public.The Flame warrior thing is all public,my comments are public and you have the right to reply.This is a public forum so my replies to anyone in whatever vein are made public.
anyway,does this mean I`m off your ignore list now,indeed I am not worthy.

Ramius
11th March 2005, 08:32
Well I'm the guy who gave those negative rep points to moko and I can honestly say that he deserved each one because of the blatant personal attacks he made against me and the utter disrespect he has for the Bible and those who believe it!

I'm happy with the rep points system as it stands - I had 6 negative reps given to me at once by a senior member in the past so I know how it feels, but it's all fun and games and not to be taken too seriously at the end of the day. :angry2:

Ps. moko was the individual who nominated me for most of the Flame Warrior awards you see above, and all his nomination comments were negative attacks against me...and he moans about 4 negative reps given to him so unjustly - he is by no means innocent. :done:

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I just wanted to say, its good to see Zed out and about away from Religious Ravings and posting elsewhere. Keep it up, and good on ya :2thumbsup Here, have a beer :apint:

As for the points, if they are taken in the spirit that they are given, they are not a reflection of who you are as a real person, and should be treated as such.

SpankMe
11th March 2005, 10:06
Don't forget that all the boxes on the homepage are collapsible. Just click on the http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/buttons/collapse_index.gif

scroter
11th March 2005, 11:22
i dont really like them. i dont give them out to anyone anymore either, means absolutley nothing. now i do give a hoot about getting knee down but only cause i suck at it and it happens so little i can remember each instance.

FzerozeroT
11th March 2005, 13:51
Yay, it's turned into a beer and knee down thread, KB is getting back to normal.

Spank - maybe you could have the rep points top ten only reflect the last week or so as you are going to do with the flamewarriors?

Coyote
11th March 2005, 16:55
I am sick to death of reading about 'rep points'. There's even sigs asking for them! :brick:
Yeah, I was a bit stupid, but as my sig now says I'm using it for good, not evil now

Waylander
11th March 2005, 16:57
Yeah, I was a bit stupid, but as my sig now says I'm using it for good, not evil now

TROGDOR!!!!!!!!

EDIT Should have it "I will no longer use these powers for good, only for awsome!"

Coyote
11th March 2005, 17:00
TROGDOR!!!!!!!!

EDIT Should have it "I will no longer use these powers for good, only for awsome!"
Will do, be a minute

Edit: 'ows that then?

Waylander
11th March 2005, 17:04
Will do, be a minute

Edit: 'ows that then?
SWEEEEEETT!!!!!:2thumbsup

Rainbow Wizard
15th March 2005, 17:43
I think it's totally appropriate and hopefully the powers that be will ditch the whole gripe inducing process.

Lou Girardin
17th March 2005, 07:24
What's rep points?

Wellyman
15th June 2005, 20:33
I think they are stupid. and I hate all these goody-goods with heaps :lol:.
I 'm never a goody-good :Punk: :nya:

WM :headbang:

StoneChucker
15th June 2005, 21:41
I think they are stupid. and I hate all these goody-goods with heaps :lol:.
I 'm never a goody-good :Punk: :nya:

WM :headbang:
Ok, who's gonna hold him down, while I beat him with the "Don't dig up old threads" stick? :weird: :whistle: :whocares: :motu: :devil2:

SPORK
15th June 2005, 22:15
Ok, who's gonna hold him down, while I beat him with the "Don't dig up old threads" stick? :weird: :whistle: :whocares: :motu: :devil2:
Can I!? Can I also fart in his face? Not just regular sorts, but full, buttock-quaking eggsters? Please?

thehollowmen
15th June 2005, 22:21
They're like oxygen and sex.

They aren't important until you're not getting any.

Enn
15th June 2005, 22:21
mmm it got me while i wasent looking..... :wait: :whistle:

NC
16th June 2005, 06:49
They are there to be dug up, such a old man, Dave :bleh:

zadok
16th June 2005, 10:05
Heard of them, but don't know how to award them etc. :whocares:

Coyote
16th June 2005, 10:38
Heard of them, but don't know how to award them etc. :whocares:
Click on the scales at the top right corner of anyones post

Should look like this http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/bgold/buttons/reputation.gif

vifferman
16th June 2005, 10:39
They're supposedly indicative of the reputation of the person. I was thinking that most of them seem to be handed out lately for posting lots of jokes, smutty posts, or whatever, and that wasn't really their purpose. Then I realised that obviously (apart from all the ones handed out to those who beg for them), this is just a reflection of what the KB community obviously likes, not sage advice, or intelligent reviews of motorcycle-related things.

Over the 15 months I've been on KB, I've seen a definite change, so that whereas those who imparted the most wisdom and helpful advice were the most reputable, now it's those who post the most drivel and 'questionable' material. Then there's another category; those like me who have a reasonable amount of rep despite posting stuff that's complete and utter bollocks... :weird:

I don't care - I'll still keep handing them out freely for things that make me smile (not easy, I tell you), for things that make me go "Aahh! I wondered about that!", for good intelligent posts, and for examples of spirit. And I'll try to think first before posting stuff here. :yes:

I must say though that I'm pleased to see the demise of the rep board and "most frequent poster" thingos. I think they encouraged some people to post too much dreck.

TonyB
16th June 2005, 10:47
At the moment I care about rep. I'm not far off getting a little bright green dot. Why do I give a feck you ask? Simple innit- I want to become a "Glorious Beacon of Light". Why? It's very dark in the garage in the mornings...

Edit: Erm....the people that have repped me as a response to this....did you do it 'cause you thought it was funny- I was trying to be funny- if so thanks :niceone:
Or did you do it just to help me get a bright green dot? If so, thanks, but I'm not so comfortable about getting rep this way... :no:

Maximus
16th June 2005, 11:27
At the moment I care about rep. I'm not far off getting a little bright green dot. Why do I give a feck you ask? Simple innit- I want to become a "Glorious Beacon of Light". Why? It's very dark in the garage in the mornings...

:rofl: :rofl:
Here mate i'll give ya some (green) rep, just cause ya made me laugh . . . . :whistle:

Coyote
16th June 2005, 11:27
Over the 15 months I've been on KB, I've seen a definite change, so that whereas those who imparted the most wisdom and helpful advice were the most reputable, now it's those who post the most drivel and 'questionable' material. Then there's another category; those like me who have a reasonable amount of rep despite posting stuff that's complete and utter bollocks... :weird:
Biff

I normally dish them out to people who make me laugh, to newbies so they have a green box, and to those who have given me useful advice.

It's not like the amount of rep you have that matters, its the amount of arcade records (there, complete and utter bollocks, I await my rep points)

Biff
16th June 2005, 11:41
I'm not one of the snobs here that only gives out rep for so called 'intelligent' contribution. I give out rep for anything I find useful, informative or that makes me smile.

In fact most the rep I've received has been given by other KB'ers for posting funnies (including smutties) and such like, and I couldn't give a rats arse that people may have an issue with this. I didn't post them to get rep, I posted them because I found them funny and I thought other people might enjoy them as well. And by and large they are welcomed.

I've been an active member of several forums over the years, and in my experience those forums that don't encourage or fail to promote off topic discussions, joke sharing and such like simply die a slow painful death. And I’ve seen this happen several times now, simply because some die-hard miserable buggers appear to have issues with off topic discussions and posts and lambast other members for doing so. Holier than thou attitudes really get on my tits.

This is by far the most 'alive' forum that I've ever been privileged enough to be a member of. Long may it live, because we bikers have other things in common than simply our love for our 2 wheeled friend. And I love the depth and breadth of discussions that this community takes part in. Even if I do sometimes find it offensive/stupid/irrelevant. But then again I have the ability to switch to another thread. Marvelous thing this technoframology. If positive rep encourages active discussion and positive contribution, and as long as Spank Me’s servers can cope, and we continue to contribute to their up keep, then why the hell not?

As for 'intelligent' contribution - I'm not very mechanically minded, but I like to think I have something to offer in terms of riding experience and for technical (general electrical/electronic/telecommunications based) issues. And it helps that I can talk the arse end of a Bulgarian Swamp Donkey.

I will continue giving out rep left right and centre to everyone that I feel offers something positive to the site, because it doesn’t hurt to encourage fellow members to do so IMO, and I’m a big fan of supporting an active, positive contribution to this great site.

vifferman
16th June 2005, 11:52
I'm not one of the snobs here that only gives out rep for so called 'intelligent' contribution. I give out rep for anything I find useful, informative or that makes me smile.

In fact most the rep I've received has been given by other KB'ers for posting funnies (including smutties) and such like, and I couldn't give a rats arse that people may have an issue with this.
Ooooooooooooh.... touchy! :Pokey:

But fair. :yes:

My moaning was because I'm obsessed with bikes, and too many times lately I've come on here (because work's so crapulent at the moment) and found no pithy bike-related stuff to read / contribute to.

This is by far the most 'alive' forum that I've ever been privileged enough to be a member of. Long may it live, because we bikers have other things in common than simply our love for our 2 wheeled friend. And I love the depth and breadth of discussions that this community takes part in. Even if I do sometimes find it offensive/stupid/irrelevant.
True, dat.
I'm also on several (hmm... four bike, three car) fora (and forums, too!) and this is still the bestest.

Ixion
16th June 2005, 11:59
.. And it helps that I can talk the arse end of a Bulgarian Swamp Donkey.

What do you do with the front ends, after you've talked the arse ends off? Would you not by now have a very large mountain of festering and smelly Bulgarian Swamp Donkey front ends ?

[See, out of that long, thoughtful and insightful posting I managed to extract the one bit of total nonsense and ignore the rest . It's a talent folks.]

Biff
16th June 2005, 12:23
Ooooooooooooh.... touchy! :Pokey:

But fair. :yes:

Lol - In typical Biff fashion I posted my view first, then read the rest of the thread. Wasn't aimed at you Mr V, just a generalmafrality.

There's WAS even a sig asking for them! :brick:

*cough* Alarumba *cough*

Milky
16th June 2005, 13:00
the only ones that matter anymore are the negative rep points. It is infernally hard to get them if you try - methinks people are just too damn nice here.

Lou Girardin
16th June 2005, 13:17
I quite like being a "shining beacon of light". Much better than being "really rather nice".
I'm trying to reach "arsehole, but one of the good ones"

Slingshot
16th June 2005, 13:47
the only ones that matter anymore are the negative rep points. It is infernally hard to get them if you try - methinks people are just too damn nice here.

Or worried that they'll get bad rep back...it's like the whole trade-me feedback problem.

Personally, I can't see any point to them. I do like to know how long people have been on here for and often the post count is the best indication of this.
Perhaps the join date could be displayed in place of the rep points.

Milky
18th June 2005, 19:58
I do like to know how long people have been on here for and often the post count is the best indication of this.
Perhaps the join date could be displayed in place of the rep points.

It mightn't be a bad idea - I joined a day after TS and look at the difference in our post counts... Obviously he talks a heap of shit :Pokey:

Two Smoker
18th June 2005, 20:26
It mightn't be a bad idea - I joined a day after TS and look at the difference in our post counts... Obviously he talks a heap of shit :Pokey:

Damn straight!!! i talk 6 times more shit than you :bleh: But then again, you are generally fixing my rearsets or something so dont have time to post...

Jackrat
18th June 2005, 22:39
I look at them as a way of knowing if I'm on the right track or not.
I also give em' to show that I'm not totaly one eyed and can agree with others at times.

Milky
19th June 2005, 20:47
Damn straight!!! i talk 6 times more shit than you :bleh:

last i checked 3500 was very close to possibly being 7 times 500 :msn-wink: