PDA

View Full Version : Red Fridays?

Marknz
18th April 2009, 08:04
Taking MadDuck's post a little further, I received an email earlier this week from overseas and wondered what peoples thoughts might be on generating Red Fridays in New Zealand to support our boys and girls. You don't have to agree with NZ politicians decisions to deploy our folks to Timor Leste or Afghanistan or anywhere else we might have people serving right now, but you can show your support for the boys, girls, men and women that are out there doing it.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts. Sorry about the length, but please read on...

Last week I was in West London attending a conference.

While I was in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning to clap and cheer.

I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving through the terminal was a group of soldiers in their uniforms, as they began heading to their gate everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering.

When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for, it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red blooded Briton who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families. Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can go to school, work, and enjoy our home without fear or reprisal.

Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran up to one of the male soldiers.

He knelt down and said 'hi,' the little girl then asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her.

The young soldier didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would try and what did she want to give to her daddy.

Suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughters name was Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Corporal and had been in Afghanistan for 5 months now.

As the mum was explaining how much her daughter, Courtney, missed her father, the young soldier began to tear up.

When this temporarily single mum was done explaining her situation, all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second.

Then one of the other servicemen pulled out a military looking walkie-talkie.

They started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it.

After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, 'I spoke to your daddy and he told me to give this to you.'

He then hugged this little girl that he had just met and gave her a Kiss on the cheek.

He finished by saying 'Your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and he is coming home very soon.'

The mum at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young soldier stood to his feet he saluted Courtney and her mum.

I was standing no more than 6 feet away as this entire event unfolded.

As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumed their applause.

As I stood there applauding and looked around, there were very few dry eyes, including my own.

That young soldier in one last act of moment turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.

We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families and thank God for them and their sacrifices.

At the end of the day, it's good to be an Englishman..

RED FRIDAYS

Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday.

The reason?

Englishmen and women who support our troops used to be called the 'silent majority'.

We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for Country and home in record breaking numbers.

We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing.

We get no liberal media coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our opinions.

Many English people, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of Britain supports our troops.

Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that every Briton who supports our men and women afar will wear something red.

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make Great Britain on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football team

If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family, It will not be long before Britain is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once 'silent' majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked 'What can we do to make things better for you?' is...'We need your support and your prayers'...

Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear something red every Friday.

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 10:27
I actually have a lot of respect for the armed forces ... what I do not respect or will ever support is War and the male orientated governments that continuously wage destruction and cause horrendous pain and suffering on the innocent because they have a need to compensate for thier tiny cocks. I do understand your angle about supporting Marknz and I know the armed forces do some brilliant work in natural disasters, emergencies, keeping us safe etc but the very sad flip side is .. if the global male governments of the world would pull thier cocks out of each others arses, worked on thier self-esteem and worked together without greed or selfishness there may not even be a need for the armed forces.

Sacrificing life .. to benefit greed & power .. just feels senseless to me. And my points are directed at the governments .. not the men and women who serve because at the end of the day .. they are still told what to do.

Where's my damn tree .. I need to go and hug it ...

FJRider
18th April 2009, 11:46
what I do not respect or will ever support is War and the male orientated governments that continuously wage destruction and cause horrendous pain and suffering on the innocent because they have a need to compensate for thier tiny cocks.

One of the "great" wars in recent history was started by the Female Prime Minister of England. In the defence and protection of claimed British territory, and its peoples.

I do understand your angle about supporting Marknz and I know the armed forces do some brilliant work in natural disasters, emergencies, keeping us safe etc

I have been part of the armed forces, when all wanted the armed forces disbanded. But the moment they needed their sorry ass's pulled out of the shit (often quite literaly) we were suddenly the nice guys....

Sacrificing life .. to benefit greed & power .. just feels senseless to me. And my points are directed at the governments .. not the men and women who serve because at the end of the day .. they are still told what to do.

If at the end of the day, if those goverments believe it it the RIGHT thing to do in defence of the freedom and rights, of those that cannot do it for themselves. There will always be war. Sadly the outcome of war is usually the stronger, and/or better trained. OR larger numbers... not always the right.

Where's my damn tree .. I need to go and hug it ...

History has shown that the first victims of war is the trees...

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 12:46
One of the "great" wars in recent history was started by the Female Prime Minister of England. In the defence and protection of claimed British territory, and its peoples.

I have been part of the armed forces, when all wanted the armed forces disbanded. But the moment they needed their sorry ass's pulled out of the shit (often quite literaly) we were suddenly the nice guys....

If at the end of the day, if those goverments believe it it the RIGHT thing to do in defence of the freedom and rights, of those that cannot do it for themselves. There will always be war. Sadly the outcome of war is usually the stronger, and/or better trained. OR larger numbers... not always the right.

History has shown that the first victims of war is the trees...

One female .. in comparison to how many men?

So you understand what its like to be told what to do.

All it is, is a power struggle .. one you obviously support. Nice.

FJRider
18th April 2009, 13:07

The Women in power do make the same decisions as men... that was my point, not actual numbers...

YES I DO... I have been instructed to do tasks in the military that put my life at risk. In this country and others. In defence of/for the safety of, its peoples, and our allies.

It is often a struggle to support your friends.... but thats what friends do....try to support a friends cause.

Dave Lobster
18th April 2009, 13:15

The Falklands conflict can hardly be described as a great war. A minor conflict to remove invaders from British soil. Everyone that went was a volunteer, and was doubtless gagging for the action. That's why we join the army. Seeing it on the TV was certainly one of the motivators for me joining up.

YES I DO... I have been instructed to do tasks in the military that put my life at risk. In this country and others. In defence of/for the safety of, its peoples, and our allies.

And me. It's one of the reasons we join up. That, and so that soft cock peacemongerers don't have to.

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 13:43
The Women in power do make the same decisions as men... that was my point, not actual numbers...

It is often a struggle to support your friends.... but thats what friends do....try to support a friends cause.

Hmmm .. I agree with women in power make the same decisions .. but its not a decision made by one person is it ..

Maybe so .. but it's still a dictatorship .. you are still told what to do when to do it .. sometimes a noble outcome .. sometimes horrific.

I am not disputing friendship at all.

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 13:44
And me. It's one of the reasons we join up. That, and so that soft cock peacemongerers don't have to.

Maybe the soft cock peacemongers wanted something different.

coffeejunkie
18th April 2009, 14:32
I am disturbed by the amount of hate and war that we are surrounded by, What is the world comming to that we can arm ourself with a gun and shoot others simply because we are told to by "a higher power"

War is pointless and a waste of time.....No one gets any further in the world they just get dead!!!!

Sully60
18th April 2009, 15:36
I am disturbed by the amount of hate and war that we are surrounded by, What is the world comming to that we can arm ourself with a gun and shoot others simply because we are told to by "a higher power"

War is pointless and a waste of time.....No one gets any further in the world they just get dead!!!!

I think you'd look good in a burkha!
You have a choice, others don't, do you think that is right?

James Deuce
18th April 2009, 15:37
War is. The only way to prevent war harming your own is to be better at it than the guy/gal who starts one.

No amount of hippy wish fulfillment or the mistaken belief that war is a function of gender, will make it go away.

Somewhere, right now, someone is getting their face shot off, their wife and kids are being raped and mutilated, and 6 year olds are being kidnapped to be trained as child soldiers.

There's only one way to stop that and it isn't wishing it away.

Denial is not a desire for peace, it's just ignorance and it leads to suffering.

In the meantime, support for the people putting their lives on the line because they either believe in what their system of government stands for, or they want a meaningful job, don't deserve the same old tired anti-war rhetoric. Most of history's great pacifists have been in the firing line at some point.

In regard to the "chicks aren't warlike" thing, both ancient and recent history disagree with you. Maggie Thatcher is but one example. Madeline Albright, and Condeleeza Rice probably directly contributed to more dead people than the number of people who refused to pay Maggie's Poll Tax.

Chicks don't do bad stuff. Yeah Right.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/nazigirls.html

Every female leader, from Hatshepsut to Golda Meir has proved at least as bloodthirsty as their male counterparts. Why? Because they got sick of their loved ones dying, pretty much, though usually via the indirect touch all national leaders operate by.

Bet you Tzipi Livni starts a war with Palestine.

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 17:29
every female leader, from hatshepsut to golda meir has proved at least as bloodthirsty as their male counterparts. Why? Because they got sick of their loved ones dying, pretty much, though usually via the indirect touch all national leaders operate by.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Lobster
18th April 2009, 18:00

Maybe those people have never had to bury peoples babies that muslims have nailed to a wall (crucifiction style). Maybe they've never looked into a mass grave of 10,000 torsos. Or driven through countless villages that are empty - all the civilians have been taken out to a field and shot dead.
Maybe if it was your village, you'd want someone to have done something before it happened.

Gubb
18th April 2009, 18:31
This has been circulating since 2005.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/redfriday.asp

It started with American troops.

coffeejunkie
18th April 2009, 18:48
I think you'd look good in a burkha!
You have a choice, others don't, do you think that is right?

Come on sully....I'm CJ, I'd look good in anything, PMSL

But your right......(this time only, hehehehe) I think everyone should have a choice

Usarka
18th April 2009, 19:33

As a percentage, fermale UK prime ministers are more likely to start wars than male ones!

Dave Lobster
18th April 2009, 19:51
As a percentage, fermale UK prime ministers are more likely to start wars than male ones!

And.. finishing them on time, with a win.

FJRider
18th April 2009, 20:03

Many years ago, I was verbally abused by a young woman, (I presumed her to be one of those soft cock peacemongers)who had taken exception to the uniform I wore. The vile words of hatred she spoke, made me wonder what member, of what armed force had hurt her to make her feel that way.

So I started talking to her. She said she was merely "anti-war". ... and her comments were not aimed at me personally (sure felt like it). She went on to say that even if New Zealand was invaded by another country.... she would do nothing, and not encourage anyone, to fight to repel them. It was not worth it.

I asked her what would she do if I dragged her into an alley-way, and attempted to have sex with her. Her reply.... she would do her damdest to stop me, and fight me to her last breath.

She would do nothing in defence of our country... but would fight for the preservation of her own dubious "honour".

The cause you fight for is what matters, be it your country, your friends, or your own family.... ideals you could never possibily imagine untill its hit you that the only choice you have ... and still live with yourself... is fight.

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 20:46
Many years ago, I was verbally abused by a young woman, (I presumed her to be one of those soft cock peacemongers)who had taken exception to the uniform I wore. The vile words of hatred she spoke, made me wonder what member, of what armed force had hurt her to make her feel that way.

So I started talking to her. She said she was merely "anti-war". ... and her comments were not aimed at me personally (sure felt like it). She went on to say that even if New Zealand was invaded by another country.... she would do nothing, and not encourage anyone, to fight to repel them. It was not worth it.

I asked her what would she do if I dragged her into an alley-way, and attempted to have sex with her. Her reply.... she would do her damdest to stop me, and fight me to her last breath.

She would do nothing in defence of our country... but would fight for the preservation of her own dubious "honour".

The cause you fight for is what matters, be it your country, your friends, or your own family.... ideals you could never possibily imagine untill its hit you that the only choice you have ... and still live with yourself... is fight.

My original post wasn't to disregard the armed forces when you have to protect and defend. My approach was in relation to the self absorbed governments that condon and initiate pain and suffering of the innocent .. if my reference to the male dominance in said governments offend you ... my apologies .. but it still seems like a male dominated field to wage war, suffering and pain ..

FJRider
18th April 2009, 21:58
My original post wasn't to disregard the armed forces when you have to protect and defend. My approach was in relation to the self absorbed governments that condon and initiate pain and suffering of the innocent .. if my reference to the male dominance in said governments offend you ... my apologies .. but it still seems like a male dominated field to wage war, suffering and pain ..

The powers that be in goverment, that make decisions on how a war is pressed, try (usually)to minimise the effects on "innocent" casualtys. Often there is no choice. Fact of life and death... in war.

Male dominance is prevelent in todays world... but that was not always the case. Women in power made similar decisions. In most western world goverments even today, women do play an important role in the decision making process.

The size of cocks of the politictions has less to do with decisions made, than the real reason of a "good" war. That is the amount of money that can be made by the goverment. Or their supporting businessess, IN/DURING that war.

No offence was taken... no apology is required... but thankyou for offering one...

Usarka
18th April 2009, 22:03
what is it good for

FJRider
18th April 2009, 22:07
what is it good for

employment... unlimited job vacancies appear ...

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 22:10
The powers that be in goverment, that make decisions on how a war is pressed, try (usually)to minimise the effects on "innocent" casualtys. Often there is no choice. Fact of life and death... in war.

Male dominance is prevelent in todays world... but that was not always the case. Women in power made similar decisions. In most western world goverments even today, women do play an important role in the decision making process.

The size of cocks of the politictions has less to do with decisions made, than the real reason of a "good" war. That is the amount of money that can be made by the goverment. Or their supporting businessess, IN/DURING that war.

No offence was taken... no apology is required... but thankyou for offering one...

I totally disagree ... what is a 'good war' ?????

Ego/power/greed (simplified by lack of cock) definitely has it's relevence. Perhaps not a term you are comfortable with, I will refrain from this description.

The apology was not for you personally .. it was in the event you have taken what I have said out of context ... which apparently it still does ...

We will obviously agree to disagree.

James Deuce
18th April 2009, 22:19

Ego/power/greed (simplified by lack of cock) definitely has it's relevence. Perhaps not a term you are comfortable with, I will refrain from this description.

The apology was not for you personally .. it was in the event you have taken what I have said out of context ... which apparently it still does ...

It's your gender biased view that's out of whack. It has little to do with small cocks and everything to do with protecting people from perceived harm. Men and Women in positions of power do what is necessary to protect people they care about. That can range from Parents to Heads of State. Gender has little to do with the efficacy of a response to percieved threat, more so now that you don't need to be on the swinging end of an axe to make your point.

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 22:22
It's your gender biased view that's out of whack. It has little to do with small cocks and everything to do with protecting people from perceived harm. Men and Women in positions of power do what is necessary to protect people they care about. That can range from Parents to Heads of State. Gender has little to do with the efficacy of a response to percieved threat, more so now that you don't need to be on the swinging end of an axe to make your point.

I am not talking about your average parent .. I am talking about governments. The ones who make the decisions .. not swinging the axe .. just following through on my original post ...

Gubb
18th April 2009, 22:23
what is it good for

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/41cJUliIuH0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/41cJUliIuH0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

James Deuce
18th April 2009, 22:33
I am not talking about your average parent .. I am talking about governments. The ones who make the decisions .. not swinging the axe .. just following through on my original post ...

That's why I said "Heads of State" in there. It does encompass effectively the same range of emotional and practical responses to a perceived threat though.

War is generally a response to an economic crisis or a way of protecting or growing an economy. At the root of every despot, elected leader, theocratic army, or monarchy is a group of people trying to protect a way of life. How those leaders view themselves and their way of life determines whether or not they will be aggressors or reluctantly mount a response to aggression.

In the 20th Century, cocks (or lack thereof) became almost a non-issue during WWII for the "Western" powers, and certainly weren't an issue for Russia. The cock was put back in warfare during Vietnam and then removed entirely from the board for the Falklands, never to rear it's head as a component of a modern action, except for a few Generals born in the '20s and '30s (all retired during the '80s) who really struggle with the idea of chicks killing people. The US Navy's logistics arm is run by a woman, the first US woman promoted to Admiral's rank in a fleet command position. Logistics are the most single important factor in killing lots of people.

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 22:53
At the root of every despot, elected leader, theocratic army, or monarchy is a group of people trying to protect a way of life. How those leaders view themselves and their way of life determines whether or not they will be aggressors or reluctantly mount a response to aggression.

Precisely ... which usually results in devastation, pain and suffering ... male dominance .. more men in positions of power than women ... cannot dispute the some women do play a part .. but as a whole?

Gender is relevent James ..

Gubb
18th April 2009, 23:05
Precisely ... which usually results in devastation, pain and suffering ... male dominance .. more men in positions of power than women ... cannot dispute the some women do play a part .. but as a whole?

More brown people are in Prison than White people.

Ergo all brown people must be scum.

There is no other explanation apparently.

FJRider
18th April 2009, 23:21

Those that pull the trigger decide how many die...... good wars... every body goes home afterwards.

Ego/power/greed.... it was hard to be there, pull the trigger, cant be easy to SEND people to war...

understanding the others opinion helps... but I agree to talk more when asked... if asked.

James Deuce
18th April 2009, 23:21

No it isn't. As I previously pointed out there have been at least as many Women in the same positions of power who have behaved as required in any given situation. You're letting the last 40 years worth of feminist rhetoric blind you to the bulk of human existence having a matriarchal flavour in regard to political power.

There's a curious undertone to your message that you think that men have had more choice in the course of their lives than women. "Men" have only had the vote for approx. 50 years more than women in British society. The vast majority of every political system in Europe was the same. Prior to the Industrial revolution men and women were equal legal entities with every Western political system you can think of. They were little better than serfs and owning and running a business did nothing to elevate you within society. Even now a small number of people own all the land in the UK.

YOu have war to thank for the reversal of the social expectations created by the deconstruction of a way of life to fuel first an Industrial Revolution and then an attempt to colonise the planet. Without WWII's demand for "manpower", womanpower would have remained a secret.

Elizabeth I created the paradigm that lead to the modern world. A chick. Queen Isabel of Spain created a model for a vicious, vindictive, female ruler when she expelled the Moors, Jews, and Celts from Spain and ruthlessly started exterminating Basques.

Women are just as good as men at war, genocide, and despotism. Just because a woman does it, doesn't make it a righteous feminist activity.

Modern Post-Feminist/4th wave Feminist society is starting to approach the gender equity that existed in pre-industrial times. Both genders through a combination of debt burden and a stulifying cost of living have to slave day and night to stay on the game, let alone ahead of it. Just like the old days.

It's outrageous to assume that all history is dominated by male atrocity. That's rhetoric without substance. Certainly the last 200 years have been weird, but they are not representative of history as a whole, just western European history, especially in regard to political systems born during that period. How could they not reflect social mores though?

Hans
18th April 2009, 23:31

I must have matured a bit in the not-so-distant past.
Not long ago a post like this, using expressions like "lack of cock, small cock, male-dominated, gender is relevant" etc, would have had me shouting: "NOT ANOTHER FUCKING TIN-POT MARXIST-FEMINIST REGURGITATING THE BULLSHIT SHE WAS SPOON FED AT SCHOOL! Next she'll be telling us she's also a victim of something or other."

No sir, not anymore. I have matured.

Now all I can say is this:

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 23:39
I must have matured a bit in the not-so-distant past.
Not long ago a post like this, using expressions like "lack of cock, small cock, male-dominated, gender is relevant" etc, would have had me shouting: "NOT ANOTHER FUCKING TIN-POT MARXIST-FEMINIST REGURGITATING THE BULLSHIT SHE WAS SPOON FED AT SCHOOL! Next she'll be telling us she's also a victim of something or other."

No sir, not anymore. I have matured.

Now all I can say is this:

Yes, because your response makes it all better.

Hans
18th April 2009, 23:45
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. I also don't quite understand what some perceived "male domination" or "small cockedness" has to do with the original topic. Maybe I just didn't take FemPols101 at uni?

fire eyes
18th April 2009, 23:51
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. I also don't quite understand what some perceived "male domination" or "smalled cockedness" has to do with the original topic. Maybe I just didn't take FemPols101 at uni?

I didn't do it either ... shall we take a class?

Yes and your right .. my take on not supporting the Red Friday was because I don't support war or people going to war or initiating war or doing things to incite war or violence. I should have been more specific about that. The rest followed on from that.

Also the 'cock terms' .. were probably not the most appropriate terms to use. Granted. I will refrain from those in the future.

Hans
18th April 2009, 23:57
I didn't do it either ... shall we take a class?

Yes and your right .. my take on not supporting the Red Friday was because I don't support war or people going to war or initiating war or doing things to incite war or violence. I should have been more specific about that. The rest followed on from that.

Also the 'cock terms' .. were probably not the most appropriate terms to use. Granted. I will refrain from those in the future.

See what we do when we get pissed off with each other. Yeah small cock comments don't go down any better than ones about tin-pot marxists, I expect. I can't agree with your view of war, but that's your own opinion and I'll respect it as such. Do you not support war under any circumstances? Does this mean there is no such thing as a just war, in your eyes? Please explain why. I'm curious.

fire eyes
19th April 2009, 00:16
See what we do when we get pissed off with each other. Yeah small cock comments don't go down any better than ones about tin-pot marxists, I expect. I can't agree with your view of war, but that's your own opinion and I'll respect it as such. Do you not support war under any circumstances? Does this mean there is no such thing as a just war, in your eyes? Please explain why. I'm curious.

I'm pissed off with the on-going needless misery, pain and suffering ... the fighting .. the chaos & destruction .. no I do not support any war .. I do not support control initiated by one country over another .. I do not support control by one person over another (the initiators or those that incite) .. in my eyes ... the armed forces (and thats what the topic is about) are told what to do by the governments .. or am I wrong? So supporting them would be supporting the notion that using force is ok ... this is why I'v kept posting in this thread ... there has got to be a better way. And no I am not a feminist at all .. I believe in equality .. but to think there is no male dominance on this planet in positions of power .. and using that power for thier own selfishness & benefit? I still have yet for that to settle and make peace in my mind. I am reading what you guys are posting .. so don't think I am not hearing .. or on a feminist rampage because I am not .. I am expressing my opinion as you are ..

Gubb
19th April 2009, 00:19
How would YOU have stopped Mr A. Hitler?

Cup of tea and a chat about letting the Jews go?

Given that unfortunately Evil does exist, and something must be done about it.

fire eyes
19th April 2009, 00:27

Ideally .. Mr A Hitler wouldn't even be a name that was globally recognised ..

And hey .. your asking the question .. so I am answering.

Hans
19th April 2009, 00:39
Ideally .. Mr A Hitler wouldn't even be a name that was globally recognised ..

And hey .. your asking the question .. so I am answering.

The problem is he IS a name that is globally recognised. This is an unpleasant reality, just as many things happening in the world today are real. And we cannot wish them away by talking about how things should be in an ideal world.
How do you communicate with someone, who's only language is violence and oppression? As Gubb said, do you invite them for a cuppa? I'm sure you're aware that negotiation is often a sign of weakness in many "cultures". I'm sure you're also aware that there is, for example, a certain religion, who's believers aren't morally bound to uphold an agreement with, or promise to, a non-believer.
Just how do you suggest we deal with them?
Do we say "Oh we're frightfully sorry, we don't condone violence, so just take over Europe here, and establish Sharia law and I'm sure we'll just get along just fine"?
Do we say "Could we please negotiate about you not overrunning our country?"
Or what do we say, when negotiation and reasoning are not a language someone understands?

I'm sure you'll be tempted to say, that in an ideal world it wouldn't have to be like that and we could all just get along. Unfortunately, as far as I see it, this is not an ideal world and no, we can't all get along. Cue the armed forces enter stage right.

fire eyes
19th April 2009, 00:59
The problem is he IS a name that is globally recognised. This is an unpleasant reality, just as many things happening in the world today are real. And we cannot wish them away by talking about how things should be in an ideal world.
How do you communicate with someone, who's only language is violence and oppression? As Gubb said, do you invite them for a cuppa? I'm sure you're aware that negotiation is often a sign of weakness in many "cultures". I'm sure you're also aware that there is, for example, a certain religion, who's believers aren't morally bound to uphold an agreement with, or promise to, a non-believer.
Just how do you suggest we deal with them?
Do we say "Oh we're frightfully sorry, we don't condone violence, so just take over Europe here, and establish Sharia law and I'm sure we'll just get along just fine"?
Do we say "Could we please negotiate about you not overrunning our country?"
Or what do we say, when negotiation and reasoning are not a language someone understands.

I'm sure you'll be tempted to say, that in an ideal world it wouldn't have to be like that and we could all just get along. Unfortunately, as far as I see it, this is not an ideal world and no, we can't all get along. Cue the armed forces enter stage right.

I know it's not a reality all living in harmony, holding hands and singing happy songs .. but when does it end .. when does it end .. violence incurring violence .. force incurring force ... retaliation .. it's an on-going cycle .. tit for tat .. I do not have the solutions for this ... I would like to think all peoples would find some common ground and work together for a common good ... these fundamental things would be established if power & control were not a factor ..

I still cannot revert to supporting Armed Forces in this regard.

KiwiRat
19th April 2009, 07:47
I would not support red Friday.

For one day of the week, we would all look like Mongrel Mob supporters.

Dave Lobster
19th April 2009, 07:58

Taking it a stage further.. we could kill people who wear yellow shirts. That's normal behaviour, in some parts of the country.

SARGE
19th April 2009, 09:09
NZ is one of the least patriotic nations i have ever been to

i support troops of any kind that are willing to defend thier nation ( the friendly ones anyway)

but a better way of showing your support for them is actually HEADING OUT TO THE OLD SOLDIERS HOME AND SPEND SOME TIME WITH THE OLD FELLAS..

go to the RSA and order 2 beers and find the oldest fossil in there and sit down and pass him a beer ..

not only do you brighten up someones day that desperately deserves it .. you get some great history lessons

politics aside folks .. these young men and women who serve deserve your respect.. war is horrible and it forever changes you (yes .. i speak from firsthand experience)..

you can get a package together with teabags, lollies, cookies etc ( GOOD TOILET PAPER!) and address it to

ANY NZ SOLDIER
AFGANISTAN

if the NZ postal system is anything like the US one , it will get to one

fuck a hollow symbolic support .. DO something for the boys.. it will mean more

Swoop
19th April 2009, 09:15
except for a few Generals born in the '20s and '30s (all retired during the '80s) who really struggle with the idea of chicks killing people. The US Navy's logistics arm is run by a woman, the first US woman promoted to Admiral's rank in a fleet command position. Logistics are the most single important factor in killing lots of people.
Do not forget about the all female F-14 Tomcat crew, who "laid waste with bomb and bullet" in the Gulf War.

Neville Chamberlain stepped off of an aircraft waving a piece of paper and declaring "Peace in our time".
He ended up declaring war on a global superpower then disappeared into obscurity, leaving someone else to clean up the mess...
Fucking limp-wristed faggot politicians cause half of the problems.:(

Or worse. Labour supporters...

FJRider
19th April 2009, 11:35
NZ is one of the least patriotic nations i have ever been to

i support troops of any kind that are willing to defend thier nation ( the friendly ones anyway)

but a better way of showing your support for them is actually HEADING OUT TO THE OLD SOLDIERS HOME AND SPEND SOME TIME WITH THE OLD FELLAS..

go to the RSA and order 2 beers and find the oldest fossil in there and sit down and pass him a beer ..

not only do you brighten up someones day that desperately deserves it .. you get some great history lessons

politics aside folks .. these young men and women who serve deserve your respect.. war is horrible and it forever changes you (yes .. i speak from firsthand experience)..

you can get a package together with teabags, lollies, cookies etc ( GOOD TOILET PAPER!) and address it to

ANY NZ SOLDIER
AFGANISTAN

if the NZ postal system is anything like the US one , it will get to one

fuck a hollow symbolic support .. DO something for the boys.. it will mean more

The greatest wish of any serving Armed Force Member... is to go home... A hero... if only to those that know, and love them. MANY did not, and will not, get this simple wish...

APRIL 25th... ANZAC day. Show your support for those that didn't come home. Attend a parade. ANY parade, ANY where.

The reasons and ideals of those that sent them, those that made the decision to send them, the reasons of those that went... are irrelevant, in as such... they went... they did, and are doing... their job.

Marknz
23rd April 2009, 10:42
:argh:

Holy feckin' hell, look what I started.

:beer:

Listen, I think some are missing the point here... it's not to look down from the top and see what the various governments roles are in these conflicts. Look at it from the bottom up, think of the boys & girls, husbands & wives, fathers & mothers that are actually out there doing it while we're all able to sit here and debate the issue in our own time. Very few of them have any choice in what they do on a day to day basis.

And in addition to the great suggestions that Sarge and FJRider made, if you happen to see someone on Anzac Day either at a parade or just walking the street who is wearing his or her service medals, just walk up to them, offer and hand and say 'Thanks'.

FJRider
26th April 2009, 18:37
:argh:

Holy feckin' hell, look what I started.

:beer:

Listen, I think some are missing the point here... it's not to look down from the top and see what the various governments roles are in these conflicts. Look at it from the bottom up, think of the boys & girls, husbands & wives, fathers & mothers that are actually out there doing it while we're all able to sit here and debate the issue in our own time. Very few of them have any choice in what they do on a day to day basis.

All armed forces personnel, are aware their duties, are mostly politically based.... To enforce the policys, and laws of our country. Armed forces (in practice), DOES include the Police force. All members try to carry out their duties to the best of their abilities. Their duties do not always meet the aproval of all members of our country. And maybe never will. Some of their duties are carried out with a heavy heart... tasks that some may condem them for performing. All have sworn an oath (not taken lightly) to the Queen and her Officers. To serve ...to obey, all orders of those, in position to give them.
In these days of employment contracts... seldom does/can the full job description, of any member of any armed force in this country, be written. Their service, is in the service, of ALL citizens of New Zealand... their friends... and allies.
Please be not shy to tell any member you meet/know.... thank you...