PDA

View Full Version : Another clutch slip thread

The Lone Rider
18th April 2009, 15:07
I have given this thread a look

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=96168

Has given me some ideas, although my symptoms are different.

Was riding between Faerlie and Geraldine and started to notice that if I accelerated hard the motor would clunk (almost sort of as if stalling or skipping?) and then would catch and accelerate. Often would clunk several times while increasing in revs. Happened with all gears.

By the time I got back to Geraldine the thing was clunking every time I accelerated.

Partner's dad had a look at it.

He did some adjustments. He first explained he was going to adjust my cable so that the plates push harder and therefore the point on the clutch lever where it engages is closer into the grip.

Took it for a ride. CLUNK CLUNK.

So then he adjusted it again - he explained he was now putting tension off the plates. The clutch feels to engage just before full extension of the lever now. Then took it for a ride.

No more clunk.. but when you accelerate hard.. the engine I assume simply slips, then I guess catches back.

If this makes any sense...

reeeeeeeee RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEVEVVVVVVVVVVVEEEeeee reeeeee

Seems to only occur if I accelerate fast, in all gears.

Any ideas? Expecting to have to spend some money, but hoping it's only needing a clutch adjustment!

Thanks!

Sully60
18th April 2009, 15:10
If the clunking you descibe is quite loud, harsh and mechanical I would hazard to guess it relates more to the gearbox than the clutch:shit:
But as you haven't stated what your bike is or wether it's chain or shaft driven I really don't know.

The Lone Rider
18th April 2009, 15:15
If the clunking you descibe is quite loud, harsh and mechanical I would hazard to guess it relates more to the gearbox than the clutch:shit:
But as you haven't stated what your bike is or wether it's chain or shaft driven I really don't know.

Yes, rather loud and mechanical. But doesn't clunk if the tension is pulled off the clutch plates a bit.

VF750C, chain drive.

Other thing partners dad did was tighten my chain, although now if I reverse the bike (even in neutral) it periodically makes a click/clunk. Have had this before I believe - just need to readjust the rear wheel alignment from memory.

Sully60
18th April 2009, 15:21
Does the bike jump out of gear?

The Lone Rider
18th April 2009, 15:54
Does the bike jump out of gear?

Define jump out of gear?

Currently what it does is when I accelerate hard, the engine is smooth... then it revs hard (as if accelerating in neutral) then winds down rather quickly as if it "caught" again.

If I don't give the throttle a nice hard twist, it doesn't do it. Makes for rather slow take offs at green lights and when trying to pass.

So only with high revs and hard acceleration it is doing it.

xwhatsit
18th April 2009, 16:07
My bike does that too, but it's limited to first. Consensus was either misaligned gearbox bearings (might be right, because the clutch engages unevenly when moving slowly to a stop, *grab* *grab* *grab*), or a worn shift drum.

It's quite nasty in first because it happens just as the power starts to pick up, revs shoot to redline, then it engages again; often lift the front wheel because of it.

It's really quite painful, as soon as my new piston gets here from Germany I can start work on the replacement engine.

The Lone Rider
18th April 2009, 16:15
My bike does that too, but it's limited to first. Consensus was either misaligned gearbox bearings (might be right, because the clutch engages unevenly when moving slowly to a stop, *grab* *grab* *grab*), or a worn shift drum.

It's quite nasty in first because it happens just as the power starts to pick up, revs shoot to redline, then it engages again; often lift the front wheel because of it.

It's really quite painful, as soon as my new piston gets here from Germany I can start work on the replacement engine.

When mine "slips" it doesn't feel engaged with the engine. The engine will be clocking over, then RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr and then clocking over again fine. I don't get a burst of acceleration, so I don't think had the bike been lighter it would lift the front wheel.

Sully60
18th April 2009, 18:00
By jumping out of gear I mean when you're accelerating as described it's like it shifts itself into a neutral, and then may shift back into the same or a different gear by itself again. As Xerses has alluded it sounds like a shift fork/drum issue failing that worn dogs on the gears, both not uncommon on a bike of that age. The fiddling with the clutch would as you partners dad correctly said change the load though the gear shafts and change way the issue manifests.
In short, get professional help.

The Lone Rider
18th April 2009, 18:56
OK thanks. Probably take to shop, get it fixed, then sell the thing and be done with it. For a 1994 bike, which I reckon ain't that old.. it's been a right prick. Getting around the half way mark of what it cost me to buy, in repairs.

TimeOut
18th April 2009, 20:45
Could be a well worn sprocket and slipping, although it does sound a bit more serious

Just a thought

98tls
18th April 2009, 21:39
When mine "slips" it doesn't feel engaged with the engine. The engine will be clocking over, then RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr and then clocking over again fine. I don't get a burst of acceleration, so I don't think had the bike been lighter it would lift the front wheel.
Has anyone had a look at the plates?

The Lone Rider
18th April 2009, 21:42

Not yet. I wouldn't know what to look for, and I haven't gotten it to a shop yet. Got a few things coming up I need the bike for then it can go to a shop for winter (and then sell it in summer I guess).

Fucking recession.

98tls
18th April 2009, 21:46
May pay to have a look then,would say there fucked,there very very easy to replace.

normajeane
18th April 2009, 22:52

Ahhh, i have a wee prob sometimes when I change gear, usually up, and I somehow get between the gears and it isn't neutral?? Is there a reason such as you are suggesting?? Or is it an old bike and NOT MY FAULT!:headbang:

98tls
18th April 2009, 22:55
Ahhh, i have a wee prob sometimes when I change gear, usually up, and I somehow get between the gears and it isn't neutral?? Is there a reason such as you are suggesting?? Or is it an old bike and NOT MY FAULT!:headbang: Strange as it sounds ive heard of clutches playing up after exhaust bits fall off in the middle of nowhere,its a seperation yearning thing.:2thumbsup

normajeane
18th April 2009, 22:59
Strange as it sounds ive heard of clutches playing up after exhaust bits fall off in the middle of nowhere,its a seperation yearning thing.:2thumbsup

Oh yes but did you hear that the spot light disintergrates somewhere about the waitaki dam?? AND the left front fork seal is a leaky??:rolleyes:

98tls
18th April 2009, 23:01
Oh yes but did you hear that the spot light disintergrates somewhere about the waitaki dam?? AND the left front fork seal is a leaky??:rolleyes: Yep heard that,as long as you can still wave dont be worried.

normajeane
18th April 2009, 23:03
I still have a few tassels so does that count as a wave??:dodge:

98tls
18th April 2009, 23:06
I still have a few tassels so does that count as a wave??:dodge: :clap:Yep that will do.Have you heard from the masked one and the rest of the rabble?

normajeane
18th April 2009, 23:08
Not within the past few hours so methinks they are raving!!:clap:.

98tls
18th April 2009, 23:20
Not within the past few hours so methinks they are raving!!:clap:. No doubt,still cant work out wht Mr sensible bothered with a costume,would have been fine as he is.Say gidday to them all if your talkin.

The Lone Rider
19th April 2009, 08:29
May pay to have a look then,would say there fucked,there very very easy to replace.

will still take it to a shop. might be pretty easy but without actually knowing what I'm doing for sure, I rather not make it worse.

The Lone Rider
19th April 2009, 16:58
Done a few adjustments and will mention here and see what people think.

First thing - lubed chain. No more of the same click/clunk when wheeling the bike backwards

Second thing - adjusted the clutch on the lever (rather than on side of the engine). Apparently this is the fine tuning adjustment (as per user manual seems to say)? Anyway took bike for a spin and seems much better. No slip but haven't taken it for more than 2 mins up and down the road.

Third thing - realigned the rear wheel (to the best of my ability). Chain running much smoother now, but maybe a bit noisy still?

Forth thing - cleaned off caked on blackened goodness off the sides of the chain using just a cloth. Then re-lubed.

The Lone Rider
19th April 2009, 18:24
Took it for a longer ride. Theres a lot of clattering happening - seems mainly to happen when I down shift. Not sure if it's the chain or something else.

The Lone Rider
20th April 2009, 23:56
Could be a well worn sprocket and slipping, although it does sound a bit more serious

Just a thought

I'm leaning towards this now. Clutch seems fine, and noise now seems coming from chain area.

And more to the point a guy at work who's been into bikes for longer than I've been born had a listen to my symptoms and said it was definitely the chain and sprockets. He then came out, looked, explained the problem.. and now I'm wiser for it.

So new chain and sprockets.. then see how I go.