PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions regarding defensive driving course, and full licence.

who_me_33
19th April 2009, 22:06
As the topic states. First of all, can I use my defensive driving course on both my bike and car licences (as I am finally about to sit my full bike licence, about 6 months later than originally planned). And with the full bike licence, for the hazard detection, do you ride a section of road, and then stop, talk to the testing officer, and tell him the hazards. Also is there any pitfalls that I need to be wary of (apart from doing a bit more work on my U turns). Just wanting to do it once. And other than the hazard detection, and the riding on the faster sections of road, is it just an extended version of the restricted test.

Ixion
19th April 2009, 22:08
How old are you ?b

who_me_33
19th April 2009, 22:18
21. Only started getting my class 6 when I was 19 though. And spent more time on the learners than necessary, due to being flat out at uni. Wanting to get the full now to get rid of the hours restriction (got a bigger bike, but wont be riding that much in the mean time, due to my leg still recovering from a break, and the new bike being much heavier).

Ixion
19th April 2009, 22:24
OK. This is complicated

If you have a DD cert, you *can* use it for both bike and car.

But

(a) You must have done the cert at least 6 months AFTER you got your 6R.
(b) You really need to book the 1F and 6F at the same time. In theory you can do them at different times, but be prepared for the biggest argument of your life if you try it. Be prepared for an argument anyway.

The problem is that when you give them the cert for the first licence test, they tear off the perforated bit for their records. Then when you give it to them again for the second test they say "Oh that's no good, it's been used," because their system can't cope with having no perforated stub bit. The LAW says nothing of the sort, this is totally an internal LTSA procedural problem. But arguing with bureaucrats is tedious. It's a bit easier if they saw the stub a few seconds ago. Tell them to photocopy it, that is completely legal. You can also apply to the organisation that you did the course with for a duplicate, that is legal, some will play ball others won't and you can't force them.

CookMySock
19th April 2009, 22:50
[...] with the full bike licence, for the hazard detection, do you ride a section of road, and then stop, talk to the testing officer, and tell him the hazards.It seems the examiners each have their own methods, but I suggest during the test you identify hazards by responding to them with a gentle application of the brakes (and the resultant flash of the brake lights) and a smooth and quiet swerve away from them. This way it is clear to the examiner that you have seen the hazard in question. ie, just ride as usual but slightly exaggerate your evasive-in-advance response to them. If the examiner has no clue that you can or do see or respond to hazards, then likely they will stop you and question you about it - not what you need, so give them some visual evidence

Also is there any pitfalls that I need to be wary of (apart from doing a bit more work on my U turns). Just wanting to do it once. And other than the hazard detection, and the riding on the faster sections of road, is it just an extended version of the restricted test.Yes, tricky manoevers such as U turns should be executed in a professional fashion, as if you have done thousands of them.

The main thing to remember, is to relax and enjoy a quiet pootle around town following the examiners instructions to the letter. He isn't going to ask you to ride your bike on the back wheel - its just plain ol' bike ridin' just you have been doing - no surprises.

Make sure you turn your head - not just look with your eyes.

edit: re: duplicate cert, ask if you can get a duplicate when or before you do the course. Tell them its for your 1F and 6F because "they tear that bit off and it can only be used once" - thats a perfectly valid and rational reason. If they say you have to come back next week and do another course, then book your DDC elsewhere.

Steve

who_me_33
21st April 2009, 10:58
(a) You must have done the cert at least 6 months AFTER you got your 6R.
(b) You really need to book the 1F and 6F at the same time. In theory you can do them at different times, but be prepared for the biggest argument of your life if you try it. Be prepared for an argument anyway.

The problem is that when you give them the cert for the first licence test, they tear off the perforated bit for their records. Then when you give it to them again for the second test they say "Oh that's no good, it's been used," because their system can't cope with having no perforated stub bit. The LAW says nothing of the sort, this is totally an internal LTSA procedural problem. But arguing with bureaucrats is tedious. It's a bit easier if they saw the stub a few seconds ago. Tell them to photocopy it, that is completely legal. You can also apply to the organisation that you did the course with for a duplicate, that is legal, some will play ball others won't and you can't force them.

Had both 1r and 6r for over 6 months before I started the defensive driving course. As I still have to do the practical part of the course (to be done in the next day or so), I will try and get 2 copies of the certificate. I have already booked my 6f, so booking them at the same time is going to be a problem (hindsight, great isn't it).

And DangerousBastard, thanks for the tips.