PDA

View Full Version : Greybeard's Classic Scrambles

Big Dave
19th April 2009, 22:32
Here’s some shots from the 20th Anniversary celebration day. (http://web.me.com/david_cohen_design/KIWIRIDER/The_Darkroom/Pages/Greybeards_Classic_Moto-X.html)

Motu
19th April 2009, 23:27
Looks like it was a good day.The guys on the RM125's seem to be having fun.Plenty of CZ's too - and one with a Honda in it....also on a trailer,is that a Maico (yellow) with a Honda engine? The yellow Rickman Bultaco with the round head 250 engine is beautiful,great to see he's using it too.The white Rickman with the pre unit T100 looks pretty low,almost no cornering clearance....to many pies in the rebuild? There is an AJS 370 (?) in there too,or maybe it's the Greeves Griffon,always get them mixed up.Both were at the meeting I went to.

I'm sure Natchflug would like to see that - post the link on ADV Old Skool.

Brian d marge
20th April 2009, 00:06
Some very nice bikes there but why does it seem, that almost all events are run on flat ground, I race my Enfield here and we defiantly have jumps My front mudguard is hitting the frame of one of the bigger ones ,, ( its on my todo list this year )

I would love to see a Scottish type trial as well , with fast open lea-sons sp? and observed trials section ,,, I wonder if it could be incorporated in normal trail rides ???

hey ho

Stephen

xwhatsit
20th April 2009, 01:03
Phwoar! Nice Elsinore!

Big Dave
20th April 2009, 12:34
I'm aggrieved...err sorry - I mean it's a Greeves.

eelracing
20th April 2009, 13:02
Some very nice bikes there but why does it seem, that almost all events are run on flat ground, I race my Enfield here and we defiantly have jumps Stephen

Not true as Kiwi Vintage has been running a Vintage MotoX Championship for the last 6 years.The majority are run on natural terrain paddocks kindly loaned out by VMX friendly farmers and they are generally anything but flat.

This years champs were wrapped up two weekends ago and another successful series was had by all with more new faces and bikes turning up every year.

If anyone is interested you are more than welcome,there is also a recreation class for people to "have a go"and see if they like it.To check out if any rides/meetings are coming up have a gander at http://vmx.livewire.gen.nz/index.htm

Excellent pics BD but did ya manage to take the Rocket 3 scrambler for a fang?
I saw Hugh Anderson last year racing around at a local Brit meet at Wanga's showing the whippersnappers how its done,a true legend and still fast as.

Brian d marge
20th April 2009, 13:21
Not true as Kiwi Vintage has been running a Vintage MotoX Championship for the last 6 years.The majority are run on natural terrain paddocks kindly loaned out by VMX friendly farmers and they are generally anything but flat.

Thats the site I watch ,,,and looks flat to me ,,, ( I like the NZ version better if there is/are a little bit of air ... ..not the twenty foot leaps that the MX bike does ...)

I am trying to come over to nz with my Enfield to try some trails and some VMX

maybe one day !

Stephen
have uploaded some photos from our meeting , this was last year ..sorry this year s are on a drive I cant access right now

xwhatsit
20th April 2009, 16:41
I'm aggrieved...err sorry - I mean it's a Greeves.
Yes there's a Greeves, but there's also a nice little Elsie running around in your photos. Prettiest MX bike :yes:

Big Dave
20th April 2009, 18:23
Excellent pics BD but did ya manage to take the Rocket 3 scrambler for a fang?

Nah - Lit it up a bit cross paddock when leaving though.

Whatsit - I was answering Motu re greeveseses. we don't need to quote amongst friends - even the ones who are unliterate like yo :-P

Motu
20th April 2009, 19:29
Yeah,just done the Google reshearch I should have done last night - so it's a Greeves Griffon,rather than the AJS Stormer.Although the tank is nothing like a Greeves tank.

Usually Greybeard Scrambles are done on farm land,using natural terrain,the Helensville meeting is flat because of the venue.Someone offers a site,you take it.

Bonez
20th April 2009, 21:12
Looks like they're having fun. Making an article up for the next issue of KR Dave?

Big Dave
20th April 2009, 21:38
Looks like they're having fun. Making an article up for the next issue of KR Dave?

Yeah - Recorded some owner interviews. Not sure what edition though.

cave weta
20th April 2009, 21:47
Top shots Dave! - you must love your work...

Those late 70s jappas are the early limit of my knowledge. I do remember though that right back then a shop in Tuakau was bringing in DKW 125s with leading link forks and a massive radial heads. they were current model but retro even then!

Big Dave
20th April 2009, 22:37
Ra. Ther. :-)

Motu
20th April 2009, 22:41
Dunno about the shop in Tuakau,that was like,way out in the back country man.But Laurie Summers was the main agent for DKW I'd say....The Count had ''contacts'' in Transylvania.I really wanted one - the chrome tank,the huge fins....and the leading link forks.The new old stock was going real cheap by the late '70's.

I was talking to the guy with the Greeves about 3 years ago,he had just pulled it out of a barn after sitting for many years....hadn't even cleaned it.

Kevin Sargent should of been there,and I think that's him on the Honda powered CZ.He was one of the guys that started the Greybeard scrambles.

Ixion
20th April 2009, 23:23
I found Tuakau once, by chance, back in the late 60s or early 70s. Then I could never find it again, until the world got smaller in the 90s. Nowadays the world is very small and Tuakau is just down the road.

When I was a small boy, my father for some reason had occasion to travel form Beachaven , where we lived, to Howick.

This enormous journey, talked over for weeks beforehand, required a weeks stockpiling of bedding (we were to stay one night with relatives on the way out, another on the way home); spare parts sufficient to build several complete spare cars; petrol, oil water, at least half a dozen extra spare tyres and wheels, a toolkit capable of repairing a battleship, and enough food and drink to last a week.

All of this was stowed away in the Studebaker, a task occupying two days (I helped daddy load it in ). The entire inside of the car was crammed full, a large stack of crates and boxes tied to the roof, more stacked up on the running boards, and the rear carrier (cars had no boot in those days) was piled high. I was then perched in the back on top of a pile of jerry cans full of petrol (no nonsense about seat belts or baby seats then), and we set off , farewelled by everybody in the neighbourhood, most of whom were fairly confident we would never be seen again.

The journey took three days (I checked my mothers diary). We broke down five times, including boiling on the dreaded Razorback (everybody did , so that was to be expected). It took my mother months to recover from the journey.

Now, I can pop into Howick for afternoon tea.

The world has indeed grown smaller.

I see all the bikes are reecent models. No girder forks.

xwhatsit
21st April 2009, 01:29
DKW 125s with leading link forks and a massive radial heads. they were current model but retro even then!
Looks cool, man. Leading link is where it's at.

cave weta
21st April 2009, 08:50
Dunno about the shop in Tuakau,that was like,way out in the back country man.But Laurie Summers was the main agent for DKW I'd say....The Count had ''contacts'' in Transylvania.

Thats it Paul! once again your extensive experience it the two wheeled world
drags up the truth!

The dude in Tuakau was Tuakau Mowers and Cycles -a little dark haired guy.
he now works for Mike Wilkins I think...

Now for a bonus point, what was his name?

Beeza
25th April 2009, 17:05
Great seeing those old dirtbikes being used "in anger"! Thank you!

Big Dave
26th April 2009, 11:59
some enlargements and commentary

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455344