PDA

View Full Version : Lightly modded GSX1400K7 objective review

Mully
19th April 2009, 22:43
Since fate and circumstance had conspired to kick me in the balls, I was unable to take up Mr Random's kind offer test the GSX1400 for a full day on Saturday (18th April), so this is a "Reader's Digest Condensed" version, as to ride another man's bike and not review it for the salivating masses would be, to be frank, rude.

Firstly, the subject.

"Betty" is a 2007 Suzuki GSX1400 with some light mods, namely;
A 2 Brothers slip-on can which sounds like Christmas in my pants,
MX Bars replacing the standard bars,
A BMC Air Filter and appropriate "tweaking" to the fuel, and
A bar-end mirror on the right hand side

More generally, "Betty" is a 1402cc Fuel-injected IL4 Air/Oil cooled motorcycle weighing (according to Wikipedia) 226kg dry. Interestingly, Wikipedia's contributors have also deigned the GSX1400 as a "Sports Tourer" when I would classify it as a naked muscle bike.

And so on to the ride impression.

After dropping my current personal steed (1996 RF900 for those too important and/or lazy to cast your eyes slightly up and to the right) off to Mr Random's abode and a quick visit to the local Shell servo to brim the tank and check the pressures in Mr Michelin's fine Pilot Powers, it was time to make my way towards my preferred test area.

Initial impressions are that the wide MX bars make the bike extremely flickable. The flip side to this is a sense of "twitchyness" and lightness to the front end when speeds approach (and pass) speeds which Mr Plod deems acceptable on public carriageways. There is also, to me, a nice seat-pegs-bars relationship (for reference purposes, I am 6'1" and of generous proportions). Standing on the pegs (whether to stretch the legs, or to look ahead of a row of cages) is easy. Adjustable clutch and brake levers can customise the bike somewhat for the particularly large-or-small of hand.

Also apparent early in the ride is the enormous amounts of torque in seemingly any gear. This delivers fantastic roll-on acceleration. Overtaking errant cagers (indeed; lines of cagers) is almost as much a matter of thought as actual movement of the right wrist. This also, I suspect, would make the 14 a more enjoyable real-world ride than, say, a Superbike replica which would probably be faster point-to-point, but arguably less enjoyable and almost certainly harder work than the big girl.

The gauges are nice and legible - analogue speedo on the left and tacho on the right, with tripmeter and fuel gauge/clock underneath, respectively. The usual array of idiot lights (easy to see at a glance even in bright sunlight) are in between. One small niggle; the indicator lights flash green (the same as the neutral light), giving me the corner-of-the-vision impression that I had grabbed an inadvertant neutral when turning through the occasional intersection (for the record, I never found a false neutral, but more on the gearbox later)

Despite a little whoopsie at the end of the North-Western Motorway (had a brain melt about which bike I was on and messed up the clutch and throttle action, leading to an embarrassing nearly-wheelie-into-nearly-stall situation before I recovered my composure and carried on, thankful for my full-face helmet) my first thoughts of the bike were overwhelmingly positive (helped, no doubt by the burble of the muffler behind my right heel on every blipped-throttle downchange).

Turning from State Highway 16 into Old North Road in Kumeu, I was stunned (despite being warned about the lack of ground clearance) to touch down the toe of my boot in the corner. The first (straight) part of Old North Road itself allowed me the opportunity to open the bike up somewhat for the first time, devoid of traffic. It was here that the high-speed twitchyness made itself apparent, particularly with wind-blast pushing you back and making you pull back on the bars. She can, however, hike up her skirt and bolt if given the berries.

The trip to Kaukapakapa was mostly uneventful, apart from the Noobie error in mistaking an unfamiliar corner for one I thought I knew and going in a bit, umm, hot for the bend. This allowed me to sample the brakes - the six piston Tokico callipers managing to haul an impressively large combined bike and rider weight to a more managable speed and leaving your reviewer giving himself a stern talking to for his Noob mistake.

The bike continued to impress on the ride - not being on familiar terms with the local constabulary and not being keen to become familiar, I restrained from opening it right out - and the burbling of the can, plus the repeated boot scrapings left me a grinning buffoon.

Kaukapakapa saw a stop to clean the bug cemetary off my visor and the headlight, as well as removing my sunglasses in deference to the fading light. Similarly, I made a decision not to carry on to Wellsford, but to go to Helensville and back home via the back roads of Waitakere.

So I did.

A stop for a peanut slab and Lift Plus in Helensville (after another bug cleaning) had me pondering the GSX1400. Not really a corner carver (lack of clearance deciding that), not really a high-speed tourer (MX Bars notwithstanding, the wind blast would get very old very quickly, I suspect) and not really an around town bike (Supertanker weight vetoing that).

To be brutal (and cliched), Suzuki seem to have built the suspension to a price, rather than a standard on this bike. I suspect some dollars thrown at the suspension hardware would make all the difference.

The gearbox can reasonably be described as adequate, if a little agricultural at times. Blipping the throttle on downchanges (again, not a chore with that noise) seemed to deal to the problem. This bike also had some "creep" when in first gear with the clutch lever fully in, leading me to believe the clutch may need adjustment, which could be a contributing factor to the gearbox difficulty. For this reason, I'm not prepared to break out the pitchfork and torch just yet.

Regrettably, Miss Mully didn't get to try the pillion accomodation while the bike was on the move. She did sit on it stationary and proclaim it comfortable.

Despite some flaws, the bike does a lot of things well. I loved the thing, and the limitations of the rider were certainly met much earlier than I felt the limits of the bike were met.

Would I buy one? Given Suzuki are running these bikes out at a paltry $12995 including a slip-on Yoshi can, if I had $13K burning a hole in my pocket, the standard GSX1400 would certainly be on my shortlist.

Much thanks must go to JRandom for the kind lend of Betty for the afternoon.

EJT
20th April 2009, 19:00
Thanks for the review. A couple of guys up here are looking at this model. Interesting that the pegs touch down early as one of the guys has this problem on his current bike.

AllanB
20th April 2009, 19:32
A 2 Brothers slip-on can which sounds like Christmas in my pants

That's worth the purchase price just on it's own :yes:
Great review and a generous offer by the owner.

kiwifruit
20th April 2009, 19:39
Yep, they are a good tourer. Room for an ensuite under the seat too

jrandom
20th April 2009, 19:40
Interesting that the pegs touch down early as one of the guys has this problem on his current bike.

That said, this bike has done 1:21 around Manfeild and 1:48 around Taupo. It does go around corners OK. In fact, there's a photo in my profile of it going around a corner OK.

You do have to keep your toes up on the pegs and position your own weight correctly, though. Riding a GSX1400 at any sort of pace requires a certain investment of attention and effort, which is what I like about it.

Mully
20th April 2009, 20:12
generous offer by the owner.

Indeed. The generousity of bikers continues to pleasantly astonish me.

A couple of guys up here are looking at this model. Interesting that the pegs touch down early as one of the guys has this problem on his current bike.

The bike continues to feel completely stable while scraping (I suggest the weight is certainly a factor in this). As long as your friends don't mind treating footpegs as almost a consumable, I would strongly recommend they take one for a ride.

As I say, the limits of the rider were much easier reached than the limits of the motorcikkle.

Mully
20th April 2009, 20:18
You do have to keep your toes up on the pegs and position your own weight correctly, though. Riding a GSX1400 at any sort of pace requires a certain investment of attention and effort, which is what I like about it.

Correct. Alternatively, the bike can simply pootle on it's masses of grunt (I tried to work "more grunt than a pig farm" into the review), making it, IMHO, probably one of the better all-round real-world bikes going.

nallac
20th April 2009, 20:21
Interesting that the pegs touch down early .

wouldn't be any where as bad as the night rod i rode last week...

H'mm still like the look of them 14's...

Hitcher
20th April 2009, 22:11
Bike Torque in Taumarunui has a brank-spanking black one in the window. Great price. Add $4,000 for Ohlins all round, braided lines, bars and a TBR can, and it's still a great price.

SixPackBack
21st April 2009, 07:07
Watching Beyond ride his 1400 has cemented the bike as an icon for me. What looks like a fat lazy commuter has the ability to embarrass the masses [on the road at least].
Nice of Random to lend you his ride.

jrandom
21st April 2009, 07:37
Ohlins all round

Yes. I'll do that one day.

Maybe not Ohlins, though.

:pinch:

Although the stock suspension does work reasonably well. And I actually do mean 'reasonably well'; I've ridden one or two bikes that've been set up with expensive suspension before, etc.

What I would like to do sometime is pop in the Yoshi Stage 1 cam kit, take the bike back to TripleZee for tuning, and then do a bit of drag racing on it. With another 20-30hp, I reckon it'd be close to the tens. Maybe even mid-tens.

braided lines

Unnecessary. The brakes are great just as they are, and I've only managed to make them fade a little after 20-ish minutes of (attempted) race pace at Taupo.

beyond
25th April 2009, 12:04
In my humble opinion, these bikes are the best value for money on the market today bearing in mind they first came out in 2002. Nothings ever changed on them except the four into one exhaust. Where can you buy any bike for under $10.00 a CC?

If you aren't used to them you will touch down a lot. The preload needs tightening up all around, the damping and rebound wound up a few notches and then even under very hard riding they handle like a dream. Once the shocks are adjusted properly you don't actually need to change them and the brakes haul this thing up no problem at all. Hell, they'll stoppie if you give it a handful of brake.

I rarely touch down the hard parts now and if I do, I am riding at the edge which would be the edge for any bike. The trick is to keep your knees tucked in and lean your entire upper body and head off the bike which gives you plenty more ground clearance and a lot more corner speed. The bike is super stable in sweepers up to around 230kmh and awesome in the tight stuff but this is the only way you can ride them hard without hanging off like a monkey with your knee down, which isn't really suitable for the road.

I've ridden one with MX bars and I reckon the standard bars are still the best. MX bars spread your arms too much and you cop a lot of wind, making you hang on harder which means you can't ride with a relaxed grip giving the bike her way. I have no issues with stability at speed and with tight leathers, everything tucked in tight and your head well down, you can take them off the clock.

I'm rambling again. As Sixpackback pointed out.... these bikes are an icon. I think so anyway :)

Big ups to Dan for letting you ride the beast.

Peter Smith
29th May 2009, 15:43
I got the twin pipe K2 model, the suspenion was way to soft standard so ya gotta crank up the preload especially on the front.
I got an Aussie bike mag where they put a 1600+cc big bore kit, cams, pipe etc, and got 160HP at the wheel (standard was 105HP) with big gains in torque as well.
When standard, upto 6,000 rpm the HP and torque curves match the 1300 Busa, after 6,000 the Busa keeps going up while the 1400 goes flat.
As is they are still alot of bike for the money.

patarch
7th March 2011, 21:29
I'm getting one of these in the next few weeks for commuting in the big smoke and get out on the open road a bit too.

I'm a little concerned about the comment up top saying the weight would make it no good for commuting but then im 6' 8" and 125 kilo so should be able to handle it.