PDA

View Full Version : MG Cali rear shock.

MotoKuzzi
20th April 2009, 17:22
I know there a few knowledgeable owners of older Guzzi's on here. I'm looking at needing to do a repair on my Cali left rear shock. (Leaking Oil) I'm wondering if a good second hand one might be a cheaper option. Any one know of a good used Bitubo shock ( Gas filled ). Length appears to be about 31cm between eye centres.

Dodgyiti
21st April 2009, 08:03
MotoKiwi is likely to have a second hand one, but best practice would be to get 2 new ones as they wear evenly and putting an unknown milage shock with your one might not be the best solution.
The factory shocks are built to buget, pretty much any of the big names in aftermarket shocks will be an improvement, plus most will spring and damp to your weight and whether or not you 2up + luggage.
I had some really nice Ohlins with remote dampers done for my weight, and then one click for my lady, and another for her and luggage, best move I ever made. $1400- but there are much cheaper options out there.

The Calli is a good handling cruiser, one of the best really, it would seem a shame not to further improve on that eh?
I bought a Calli Stone Touring from new, because I put big kms on her in very quick time I could notice the rear shocks losing performance over the first 10,000km. Long trips on our roads had the damping gradually fail as the fluid got hot, so I recommend remote dampers as she is not a light bike and with the raked front end the rear shocks do a fair amount of work.

All the best,

Michael.

MotoKuzzi
22nd April 2009, 18:40
MotoKiwi is likely to have a second hand one, but best practice would be to get 2 new ones as they wear evenly and putting an unknown milage shock with your one might not be the best solution.
The factory shocks are built to buget, pretty much any of the big names in aftermarket shocks will be an improvement, plus most will spring and damp to your weight and whether or not you 2up + luggage.
I had some really nice Ohlins with remote dampers done for my weight, and then one click for my lady, and another for her and luggage, best move I ever made. $1400- but there are much cheaper options out there.

The Calli is a good handling cruiser, one of the best really, it would seem a shame not to further improve on that eh?
I bought a Calli Stone Touring from new, because I put big kms on her in very quick time I could notice the rear shocks losing performance over the first 10,000km. Long trips on our roads had the damping gradually fail as the fluid got hot, so I recommend remote dampers as she is not a light bike and with the raked front end the rear shocks do a fair amount of work.

All the best,

Michael.
Thanks hadn't considered the even wear factor. Appreciate the advice and it's making me think about how the ride seems to deteriorate after a couple of hours continuous riding. Can't afford Ohlins but will look around for something else. They are a very nimble cruiser, only requires the gentlest of inputs on the bars to have it moving any way you want, good ground clearance too.
Cheers,
Mark.

Dodgyiti
23rd April 2009, 08:57
Yes the original shocks are not the best. Here is a half price (compared to Ohlins) option for you then:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Suspension/auction-214548428.htm

They look really nice and I have read good things about them on Guzzi forums.
Hagon are a good brand. I never liked Koni/Ikon shocks, I have 2 sets of 'Dial-a-Ride' under the bench gathering dust.

The seller can tailor them to your weight etc

I already sussed that out as I am saving for a set to reshock my Super-T and put the Ohlins back on my MK1:angry2:

Really did like my Calli, but if you look closely at the front tire, you can maybe figure out why I sold it.

MotoKuzzi
23rd April 2009, 12:47
Yes the original shocks are not the best. Here is a half price (compared to Ohlins) option for you then:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Suspension/auction-214548428.htm

They look really nice and I have read good things about them on Guzzi forums.
Hagon are a good brand. I never liked Koni/Ikon shocks, I have 2 sets of 'Dial-a-Ride' under the bench gathering dust.

The seller can tailor them to your weight etc

I already sussed that out as I am saving for a set to reshock my Super-T and put the Ohlins back on my MK1:angry2:

Really did like my Calli, but if you look closely at the front tire, you can maybe figure out why I sold it.

Thanks, all I'm seeing at the front is only one brake disc?. can't notice anything with the tyre itself, other than the chicken strips are almost non existent

Dodgyiti
24th April 2009, 09:57
the chicken strips are almost non existent

Yep, you got it. Ran off the edge. An omen to sell it.

MotoKuzzi
25th April 2009, 17:07
Yep, you got it. Ran off the edge. An omen to sell it.
Even with my grandad like riding style i can still use most of the tyre specially on a group ride. For now i think I will just repair the shock. I'm looking to sell or trade it later this yr for a more sports / tourer configuration easier on my back and don't want to spend a lot on it. If I decide to keep it I might invest in some improvements later. Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Mark

Beeza
24th May 2009, 14:25
If you own prime aftermarket shocks, like Ohlins, Hagon, Marzocchi, Koni/Ikon etc shouldn't they all be almost-infinitely "rebuildable" and for much, much less than buying new ones? As opposed to those cheaply mass-produced original-equipment shocks which you're expected to lob in the bin at around 20 000kms or once they're worn out?

Who rebuilds Marzocchis in NZ?

Dodgyiti
28th May 2009, 18:55
If you own prime aftermarket shocks, like Ohlins, Hagon, Marzocchi, Koni/Ikon etc shouldn't they all be almost-infinitely "rebuildable" and for much, much less than buying new ones? As opposed to those cheaply mass-produced original-equipment shocks which you're expected to lob in the bin at around 20 000kms or once they're worn out?

Who rebuilds Marzocchis in NZ?

Marzocchis are not represented in New Zealand as far as I know. Someone else may know different.
Threw a few pairs out because the damping sleeve wears and it is intergral to the main body in both sets I had (one with remote damper and one pair just plain ones) I 'spose I could have milled it out and fitted another sleeve, but time V's a new pair of shocks won out.:laugh: In the skip they went
A friend rebuilt a set by sourcing bits overseas, took him ages and a bit of machining but did not cost a lot. Would'nt advise it unless you have lots of time and patience. And a mill.