PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew beer

SMOKEU
21st April 2009, 13:36
Who else here makes their own beer? And does it taste any good?

coffeejunkie
21st April 2009, 13:49
My partners bro used to make his own......As for taste i wouldn't know i'm not a beer drinker but the boys never had an worries knocking afew doz back on the weekends

CookMySock
21st April 2009, 13:58
A mate down the road used to make his own beer. It tasted nasty and hit ya like a tonne of bricks.

:pinch::whistle::drinkup::no::puke:

Steve

The Pastor
21st April 2009, 14:09
ive had ago with limited success.

BOGAR
21st April 2009, 14:31
Mine tasted alright but to get the good stuff and with the effort it was just easer to by a dozen in the weekend. I now make my own fejoa wine which is very nice.:apint:Mine takes about 6 months to make then if you can leave it for a year tastes even better and has a very good kick to it too. Basically if you can make beer you can make wine.

Str8 Jacket
21st April 2009, 14:36
koba does and it tastes nyummy and its cheap! :2thumbsup

Also a work mate brews his own beer and cider and brings it in for Friday arvo drinks. He makes this one he call "Kanuka Beer" which he makes with Manuka Honey and *some other things* he could honestly sell it for a decent $$!

mmmmm beer......

Patch
21st April 2009, 14:47
it is an acquired art and generally made to the maker's taste - unlike that cheap shit in the red can with the oh so fake adverts. :wacko:

Mully
21st April 2009, 14:47
There was a thing in the "Sunday" magazine that comes with the Sunday Star Times - apparently, home brew is the new "Big Thing "(Tm).

Takes a bit of practice, but evidently you get there in the end.

I think we still have the mag - if you talk nicely to me I might send it to you. Or scan it for everyone's amusement.

Naki Rat
21st April 2009, 15:15
I got into it a few years back. I prefer a fully flavoured (read English) style beer so went with the premium kits. Muntons and Ironmaster were the preferred choice :drinkup:

Good way to gain weight but !

Winter
21st April 2009, 15:30
Ive done four brew so far, #1 and # 4 tasted beaut! #2 and #3 killed the bush we tipped it into :eek5:

We found it quite hard to keep the temperature right, which is what killed the #2 &3 brews.

Easy, nice as, and puts hair on your chest, thats for sure.

koba
21st April 2009, 15:58
Ive done four brew so far, #1 and # 4 tasted beaut! #2 and #3 killed the bush we tipped it into :eek5:

We found it quite hard to keep the temperature right, which is what killed the #2 &3 brews.

Easy, nice as, and puts hair on your chest, thats for sure.

I think slingshot had a thread on this a while back...

If you have kept numbers 2 and 3 leave them for a couple of months and see what they taste like then, sometimes you can get lucky.

A bit of time spent developing equipment seems to be all it takes to hold the temperature good enough.

I use an old cardboard drum with a lightbulb in the bottom.
Settings are:
Stinking hot - nothing
Hot - 40wat bulb
Average - 60watt bulb
Cold - 60 watt bulb and an old coat over the top of it
Really Cold - Bugger making home brew, it's too cold.

You are right saying it is easy!

Oh , and a bit of a hint for any new or would-be brewers:

Don't use sugar.
That "Home-brew taste" is from sugar.
It makes it REAL cheap but its not THAT much more to just use 2 brewing kits for the same volume or make half as much with one kit.
It also needs to be left much longer.
:apint:

koba
21st April 2009, 16:00
Or scan it for everyone's amusement.

If you can be arsed...

kevfromcoro
21st April 2009, 16:04
I make it.... its easy

when its ready i stick it a keg and charge it it up with c02.

tates ok... well i drink it ,,,,,,,,,, but thats not much to go on
i would drink aftershave , if i had to
got 3 50 ltr kegs allways full..

just incase i get thirsty..

SPman
21st April 2009, 16:30
Make beer, Cider and Mst. makes mead, occasionally.
Trying to get a passable American Imperial Pale Ale - almost got it right...started off on kits, but now they're highly modified kits - still not up do doing my own mash - yet.
Heaps of fun, reasonably cheap and, as Naki Rat says - tend to put on a bit of weight.
Also increases my knowledge of beer styles and tastes...

P38
21st April 2009, 17:28
koba does and He makes this one he call "Kanuka Beer" which he makes with Manuka Honey and *some other things* he could honestly sell it for a decent $$!

mmmmm beer......

That would then be Mead not Beer.

Mead has been made for thousands of years, way longer than Beer

Str8 Jacket
21st April 2009, 17:33
That would then be Mead not Beer.

Mead has been made for thousands of years, way longer than Beer

Uh no, mead is a wine made from honey and this is a beer made with honey. Incidentally he gave me a bottle to take home tonight :niceone:

FWIW - He also makes mead (which is wine made from honey) and cider

CookMySock
21st April 2009, 17:35
Wrap an old electric blanket around it and use a waterbed thermostat.

Steve

Str8 Jacket
21st April 2009, 17:38

Steve

Is this all part of your "Dangerous Mechanic Advice"? I seem to remember a lesson at school when I was younger... Something about electronics and water and how you never want to wet the bed when the electric blankets on or something vaguely familiar? Something like that anyway....

vj paul
21st April 2009, 17:48
Now is a good time to brew beer before it gets to cold, between 18 and 22 degress is perfect, the slower you can brew the better the taste. I brew heaps of it before the warmer months.
If you want recipes i got heaps.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/kiwi35/th_mybar.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/kiwi35/?action=view&current=mybar.jpg)

Chooky
21st April 2009, 18:08
Easiest way is to use the Coopers kits, there heaps of them, you'll find one you like.
Brew tastes like the water you make it from, if your water is shit your beer will be too...Use rain water, boil it to kill any stray bugs, but make sure the temp has dropped to correct level before adding the yeast pack or you will just kill it.
I put the brewing barrel in an old fridge that had a heat lamp crontrolled by a thermostat from an old wall heater to mantain a constant temperature.
The biggest job is bottling the stuff.. 2 liter coke bottles work OK.
Its better for you than the chemical stuff you buy, and its cheaper.:apint:

Solly
21st April 2009, 18:18
Easiest way is to use the Coopers kits, there heaps of them, you'll find one you like.
Brew tastes like the water you make it from, if your water is shit your beer will be too...Use rain water, boil it to kill any stray bugs, but make sure the temp has dropped to correct level before adding the yeast pack or you will just kill it.
I put the brewing barrel in an old fridge that had a heat lamp crontrolled by a thermostat from an old wall heater to mantain a constant temperature.
The biggest job is bottling the stuff.. 2 liter coke bottles work OK.
Its better for you than the chemical stuff you buy, and its cheaper.:apint:

I used to used to brew the Coopers Stout....Yum Yum!!!!!....must get back into it.

kevfromcoro
21st April 2009, 18:22

Steve

yeah that works..
can get a heat band for them....
other than that......

get ya missus to sit on it for a couple of hours

Katman
21st April 2009, 18:30
The mistake that most people make is to drink homebrew beer a couple of weeks after it's been bottled.

It needs to sit for a good 12 months.

Chooky
21st April 2009, 19:17
Yer...needs to be kept for a few weeks, but dont know about 12 months.
Also, make sure it is completly worked out before you bottle it or it can EXPLODE....How do I know this....dont ask....:laugh:

SMOKEU
21st April 2009, 19:26
There was a thing in the "Sunday" magazine that comes with the Sunday Star Times - apparently, home brew is the new "Big Thing "(Tm).

Takes a bit of practice, but evidently you get there in the end.

I think we still have the mag - if you talk nicely to me I might send it to you. Or scan it for everyone's amusement.

I got the copy of that magazine, quite an interesting read it is.

Brian d marge
21st April 2009, 23:33
The mistake that most people make is to drink homebrew beer a couple of weeks after it's been bottled.

It needs to sit for a good 12 months. thats the trouble I have ,,,, 30 of gut F&'(())~er sitting ,,, doing nowt

its more than an Alcoholic can bear .....:devil2:

Tried , for the life of Brian I tried ....... they were gone by the next month

Stephen

P38
22nd April 2009, 18:57
Uh no, mead is a wine made from honey and this is a beer made with honey. Incidentally he gave me a bottle to take home tonight :niceone:

FWIW - He also makes mead (which is wine made from honey) and cider

Actually we may both be almost right.

Technically mead is no more a honey wine than beer is a malt wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

But I still think Mead is closer to beer than wine.

lb99
22nd April 2009, 19:34

yep me, and I have made so much that I am fk'n good at it (cept I have no mates to share with :( )

got 7 crates in the kitchen and usually a brew on the go too, have found (through trial and error) stubbies that can handle the jandal......

that reminds me, got a brew to make