PDA

View Full Version : Gear for cold weather

Silage
11th March 2005, 12:16
Christchurch had a light frost this morning following the southerly change last night. So had the first cold test of some of my new(ish) gear.

Nitro helmet with FogCity insert: All good, no misting inside the helmet.
Schoeller cordura jacket (lining removed): toasty warm.
Thinsulate (winter weight) gloves: cool to cold pinkies.

And there's more to come (cold that is).

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 12:29
noooooooooooooooo GO AWAY WINTER!!!!!!!!!!

T.I.E
11th March 2005, 12:45
awwwww crap no. the sun just came out. and the days are now getting shorter. ride whilst you still can.

outlawtorn
11th March 2005, 13:00
can you explain to me the FogCity insert. Thanks

riffer
11th March 2005, 13:29
can you explain to me the FogCity insert. Thanks

It works pretty much on the same principle as double-glazed windows.

There's two layers with air in between them.

Fogged visors are caused by your hot moist breath touching the inside of your visor, and the cold air on the outside touching the outside of the visor.

The subsequent temperature drop of the moist air touching the cold visor causes the moisture in your breath to condense, causing fine water droplets on the inside of the visor.

By creating a layer of air in between, the cold air on the outside of the visor is not transferred to the inside of the visor, which means it can't condense the moist air from your breath.

outlawtorn
11th March 2005, 13:32
a-haaa, nicely explained, how do I get me one of those fancy thangs fir my wee (xxl) cheapie helmet? Or do I need to buy a more expensive helmet for that?

And maybe you guys can answer another questions for me, I've had 2 bins with my current helmet and banged my head in each othose bins, not hard mind but enough for me to notice the helmet saving my nut from a nasty lump. Do I buy a new one now or when should I consider buying another one?

Lou Girardin
11th March 2005, 14:07
a-haaa, nicely explained, how do I get me one of those fancy thangs fir my wee (xxl) cheapie helmet? Or do I need to buy a more expensive helmet for that?

And maybe you guys can answer another questions for me, I've had 2 bins with my current helmet and banged my head in each othose bins, not hard mind but enough for me to notice the helmet saving my nut from a nasty lump. Do I buy a new one now or when should I consider buying another one?

Time for a new one. You may be able to get one with the Pinlock system (Nolan, Shoei) which is a fancier version of a Fog City. HJC also do a fog resistant version of the CL14. Not one of the special deal ones though.

Wolf
11th March 2005, 15:37

And there's more to come (cold that is).
Riding 100km/h from Hamilton to Te Awamutu on frosty Waikato mornings:

FFM helmet, visor opened to prevent fogging: a bit chilly but WTF
Dririder jacket and pants over reasonably warm work clothes: toasty warm
Sidi boots over woolen socks: toasty warm
Thinsulate and leather gloves over polypropylene gloves: Fucking agonising cold after about 10 minutes.

Faster I went, worse it was; slower I went, the longer tha agony when I did freeze through.

Ended up buying some polar fleece mittens and wearing them under a nylon shell mitten - on the assumption that my toes weren't freezing because they were cozzied together while my fingers were separated. Wearing the polyprop gloves underneath the mittens I was toasty warm as I expected. Often didn't even need the polyprop and yet I had frozen wearing my gloves (cold airflow over greater surface area). Later I tired of having to put on three pairs of hand covering so I hand stitched the fleece mittens inside the nylon shells - along with a couple of extra layers of polar fleece across the back of the hand/top of the fingers - they do me fine even at speed on frosty mornings.

Waylander
11th March 2005, 16:00
I just tough it out like a real biker should:p However, I'm gonna look into the double visor anti-fog thing for my next helmet. Hate having to wipe the bugger when it happens and that sometimes just makes it worse. Cold I can deal with, rain I can deal with, heat I can deal with, any mixture of the three to produce what is called wheather I can deal with, can't stand a fogged visor.:brick:

Coyote
11th March 2005, 16:01
HJC also do a fog resistant version of the CL14. Not one of the special deal ones though.
Do HJC do one for the CS10?

Biff
11th March 2005, 17:22
Heated grips
Thinsulate inserts for pants and jacket
10 Kilos overweight

Roll on winter!

Aaron
11th March 2005, 18:27
Was a little surprised when I could see my breath on the air this morning too.

Christchurch had a light frost this morning following the southerly change last night.
Yeah, ending up biking home from poker in the rain, good test of the gear, all good :2thumbsup

I have had real trouble with the visor fogging up since switching to a tinted one two weesk back... got a FogCity insert on Monday, bloody brilliant!!! And, I'm not beyond saying I'm very impressed with how well centered I got it :cool:

Spool jacket, (insert taken out) and Spool gloves kept me toasty and warm :cold:

GNR
11th March 2005, 20:18
can u by a fog insert or any helmet?? (that has a visir od corse)

Silage
12th March 2005, 08:57
can u by a fog insert or any helmet?? (that has a visir od corse)

I think they make two types. One for "normal" helmets and one for the odd shaped Shoei (or some other expensive brand) visors. The normal ones do not cover the whole visor area so I find that I am checking if the visor is down as there seems to be a gap at the bottom that is only the gap between the insert and the bottom of the visor.

Didn't get mine dead centre but :whocares: . They cost thirty something bucks.

I don't want to advertise these things as I am still sceptical, but it does seem to work although there is a bit of visual annoyance from the opaque sticky strip that runs around the perimeter of the insert (thereby creating the air gap). And the instructions were :confused:

Aaron
12th March 2005, 13:27
I don't want to advertise these things as I am still sceptical, but it does seem to work although there is a bit of visual annoyance from the opaque sticky strip that runs around the perimeter of the insert (thereby creating the air gap). And the instructions were :confused:
Yeah, when offered the $24 vs the $35 one I went Fog City, ($35), as while expensive isn't always better there was only one left on the rack vs 7 or so no name brand ones. Am very happy so far and you're right about the insert primeter, but you don't notice it after a while.

GNR
12th March 2005, 15:01
are they easy to take off, like for summer again,

if you took it of, would you have to buy another for the next winter?

Aaron
12th March 2005, 15:35
Oh.... no I don't think you'd wanna do that... maybe get a new visor? j/k :)

I guess it would come off ok, but the glue would be shagged rendering it unusable for a second time.