PDA

View Full Version : Breath testing and motorbikes

Maximus
11th March 2005, 13:05
I was on my home early this morning, as I was going onto the motorway by the grafton bridge from K Rd I was stopped at a police checkpoint and breath tested, luckily I was sober as, and I didn't mind being stopped. But I was thinking, and I have always just been "passed through" when going thru checkpoints on my bike and was wondering, how many others of you find that you get stopped and breath tested or passed thu? How do you feel about it. Or do you even really give a fuck?

bear
11th March 2005, 13:08
Passed through a standard checkpoint for WOF and reg one time and just got waved through.

outlawtorn
11th March 2005, 13:14
wouldn't mind it at all, I'm a tea totaller....

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 13:20
anyone driving/riding anything should be breath tested. Just cos you're on a bike, doesn't make anyone an exception. I've heard of people riding when drunk.. If anything, drinking prohibits your ballance, so I reckon the limit should be a lot lower for bikes..
just mho

Paul in NZ
11th March 2005, 13:20
wouldn't mind it at all, I'm a tea totaller....

More a coffee man meself

Lou Girardin
11th March 2005, 13:25
anyone driving/riding anything should be breath tested. Just cos you're on a bike, doesn't make anyone an exception. I've heard of people riding when drunk.. If anything, drinking prohibits your ballance, so I reckon the limit should be a lot lower for bikes..
just mho

What do you need balance for? Gyroscopic effect keeps it upright.
giz anuvver pint.

outlawtorn
11th March 2005, 13:25
One of the funniest things I've seen in my life was when I was a lot younger, me and load of my mates were crammed into a cage and another mate was on a bike, off we go from the pub we were at and the first set of lights were red so we stopped in the right hand lane and our other mate on the bike stopped in the left, but he was so pissed he didn't put his feet down, so him and all of his CB750F landed on the tarmac. Not nice on reflection, but at the time it was incredibly funny. :killingme

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 13:29
What do you need balance for? Gyroscopic effect keeps it upright.
giz anuvver pint.
true, and I thought of that whilst typing, but the gyronamics of it doesn't solve all the issues.. The bike will be upright, but would you?

vifferman
11th March 2005, 13:39
I've been pulled up for a license check on my bike, but never for breath-testing. I've been breath-tested once in the car, and once in Victoria, outside Warrnambool: that was bit scary - no "Good Evening, Sir, will you please blow in this". It was "Blow in this". Yes Sir; don't shoot me, Sir!
Funny thing was, it was the only night I was in Victoria on that trip where I didn't have any alcohol! Just had this feeling I shouldn't drink that night, so I just had juice...

I don't drink and ride - affects my judgement, balance and riding too much.

Maximus
11th March 2005, 13:44

:niceone: Yea man, I would never drink and ride/drive, apart from the obvious happening, could u imagine not being able to releive the stress by going for a ride?!

It would be a never ending hell!! :crazy: :cry: :brick:

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 13:45
may be for bikes, it's more obvious if your a bit pissed..
Just thinking a little more on the 'gyroscopic effects' a bike has, that's only good for high speed. You need ballance when you slow and come to a stop. If you get to a check point and you fall over, that might raise an eyebrow.. So may be that's why they often wave bikes thru.. may be..?

Kjell
11th March 2005, 13:47
Been stopped once and waved on once.

When I got stopped up near Paihia I left the visor locked and they attempted to put the gadget by the chin strap to get a reading.

(please state you name and address into the machine) reply : mummmph hmmm hmm mhpmmphh ai eh taihape

I could of got done for soliciting an officer becase she was pretty cute in that uniform and she would have had no idea what I was saying, as I could hardly hear myself.

Maximus
11th March 2005, 13:47
may be for bikes, it's more obvious if your a bit pissed..
Just thinking a little more on the 'gyroscopic effects' a bike has, that's only good for high speed. You need ballance when you slow and come to a stop. If you get to a check point and you fall over, that might raise an eyebrow.. So may be that's why they often wave bikes thru.. may be..?

Hehe, never looked at it like this before, could make sense you know??!! . .. .

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 13:51
Hehe, never looked at it like this before, could make sense you know??!! . .. .
see, not just a pretty face*

* see avatar..

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 13:52
Been stopped once and waved on once.

When I got stopped up near Paihia I left the visor locked and they attempted to put the gadget by the chin strap to get a reading.

(please state you name and address into the machine) reply : mummmph hmmm hmm mhpmmphh ai eh taihape

I could of got done for soliciting an officer becase she was pretty cute in that uniform and she would have had no idea what I was saying, as I could hardly hear myself.
lol.. they have been getting cute lately. I was stopped while in the car once. She asked for my name and address, I went on to give my number.. haven't heard from her yet..

welcome to the site btw :niceone:

Maximus
11th March 2005, 13:53
see, not just a pretty face*

* see avatar..

I don't quite know what to say? . . . :love2:

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 13:54
lmao...... (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9681)

Maximus
11th March 2005, 13:58
I think I'll just go and have a :apint: and scratch my nuts. . . . ah, that's better, now I feel like a man again! :niceone:

crashe
11th March 2005, 14:12
Ok first time I got breatherlised tested was on Newton on ramp...
Came on down behind a pile of cars... the male police officer said
"Sir have you been drinking?" I just looked at him....
and he said "Oops I should let you throu for that aye?"
I said "Yep ya should"
So he the nice police officer waved me throu....
The other cops just stood there thinking what the fark happened...lol

Another time I was coming along Carrington Rd from one party to go to another party.. and they were stopping all traffic...
this young cop asked me to remove my helmet..
So I explained that I pull the helmet down to speak...
He said "when had I ever done that". I explained thats what all bike riders do....that I had done it at Newton on ramp heaps of time...
He got rather bolshie and demanded that I remove my helmet...
so at the slowest of slowest I removed my gloves, glasses, scarf and helmet and undid the jacket to remove the scarf, plus turned the bike off to just say my name in the machine....... then he said thats fine...
so like a nice person I am, I asked "was that all.? " "Yep" he said.
"Can I now go?" I asked. "yep" he said....
So at the slowest of slowest I put everything back on....
and rode off waving to the other cops ahead of me....
In the meantime there was about 20 to 25 cars piled up behind me waiting....
this was a new cop and I bet he soon learnt not to do that again....
That took a very long time that time for me to be breatherlised...

I have been tested many times on the bike.... but I am very staunch about not drinking alcahol on the bike.

YES anyone on the road driving a vehicle or riding a bike should be tested.

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 14:18
Another time I was coming along Carrington Rd from one party to go to another party.. and they were stopping all traffic...
He said "when had I ever done that". I explained thats what all bike riders do....that I had done it at Newton on ramp heaps of time...
so at the slowest of slowest I removed my gloves, glasses, scarf and helmet and undid the jacket to remove the scarf, plus turned the bike off to just say my name in the machine....... then he said thats fine...

I have been tested many times on the bike.... but I am very staunch about not drinking alcahol on the bike.

YES anyone on the road driving a vehicle or riding a bike should be tested.
lmao.. good on ya :2thumbsup

Waylander
11th March 2005, 14:22
Ok first time I got breatherlised tested was on Newton on ramp...
Came on down behind a pile of cars... the male police officer said
"Sir have you been drinking?" I just looked at him....
and he said "Oops I should let you throu for that aye?"
I said "Yep ya should"
So he the nice police officer waved me throu....
The other cops just stood there thinking what the fark happened...lol

Hehe John not the only one then aye lol J/K.

I don't drink and drive/ride either and I make a point not to go out on the bike on nights that the breath test stops are likely to be set up, because boy racers are also out on those nights and hooning about drunk as and usually not being stopped. So rather than add too much un-needed risk of life I stay home with mates and get drunk while playin poker (http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=poker) or some such.

Marmoot
11th March 2005, 14:25
Another time I was coming along Carrington Rd
Ah, so that was you who held up the traffic as I was going home...
Can tell because not too often they do checks on Carrington Rd. I think only once in the last 2 years....

btw, technically speaking you can get done for not saying your name+address when asked for, even if you literally read a whole essay to the machine, rite? I think because legally cops can only ask your name+address without legal representative, and you are legally obliged to reply to those questions.
Quite a technicality going through that simple test, aye?

MSTRS
11th March 2005, 14:39

That is just perfect (feverishly presses Save to Memory button)
I also agree with random breath testing. Only thing is, I don't like to be stopped myself. Where can I get the Exempt sticker?? Someone?? Anyone??

crashe
11th March 2005, 14:54
Ah, so that was you who held up the traffic as I was going home... Can tell because not too often they do checks on Carrington Rd. I think only once in the last 2 years....

Yeah, I'm sorry....lol
Well the cop was a right pain in the butt....
Heck I could have been and gone in seconds... and off to my next party...

Oh I only drink coke or occassionally sprite at parties when I take the bike...

bikerboy
11th March 2005, 15:27
I've only ever been breathalized? three times, all on the bike, all on Tamaki Drive and always after 10am but before noon.

Must be a lot of drunks in that part of town, eh? :spudwhat:

Wolf
11th March 2005, 16:00
btw, technically speaking you can get done for not saying your name+address when asked for, even if you literally read a whole essay to the machine, rite? I think because legally cops can only ask your name+address without legal representative, and you are legally obliged to reply to those questions.
Quite a technicality going through that simple test, aye?
So am I to gather they can only legally ask name+address and you can refuse to answer if they ask anything else?

I don't drink and drive/ride so I don't pay that much attention to the law regarding breath testing.

Have been stopped a few times, normally just pull the chin guard down and give name and address as requested and go on my way (really gotta get a BMW-systems helmet or one of the Nolans that has the lif-up front).

Once coming back to Hamilton from Palmy North I was stopped in Ohakune and the female TC asked if I'd been drinking then got me to tell the little box my address then asked the full where did you come from, where are you going bit. As I had nothing to hide and I'm an obliging sort I told her everything she asked.

It was the very start of the ski season and the town was filling up with shit-loads of tourists so I figure she was in for a verrrrry long night if all her "clients" got the same treatment...

Later that same night someone screamed past another speeding car just South of Eight Mile Junction and nearly cleaned me out - I hope he was heading for Ohakune...

Waylander
11th March 2005, 16:05
So am I to gather they can only legally ask name+address and you can refuse to answer if they ask anything else?

I don't drink and drive/ride so I don't pay that much attention to the law regarding breath testing.

Have been stopped a few times, normally just pull the chin guard down and give name and address as requested and go on my way (really gotta get a BMW-systems helmet or one of the Nolans that has the lif-up front).

Once coming back to Hamilton from Palmy North I was stopped in Ohakune and the female TC asked if I'd been drinking then got me to tell the little box my address then asked the full where did you come from, where are you going bit. As I had nothing to hide and I'm an obliging sort I told her everything she asked.

It was the very start of the ski season and the town was filling up with shit-loads of tourists so I figure she was in for a verrrrry long night if all her "clients" got the same treatment...

Later that same night someone screamed past another speeding car just South of Eight Mile Junction and nearly cleaned me out - I hope he was heading for Ohakune...

Damn I was expecting you to say that later on down the road of life that female officer knocked on your door askin to go out or somethin and then later got maried to you and is now Strayjuliet.:cool:

Blakamin
11th March 2005, 16:24
I've been pulled up for a license check on my bike, but never for breath-testing. I've been breath-tested once in the car, and once in Victoria, outside Warrnambool: that was bit scary - no "Good Evening, Sir, will you please blow in this". It was "Blow in this". Yes Sir; don't shoot me, Sir!
Funny thing was, it was the only night I was in Victoria on that trip where I didn't have any alcohol! Just had this feeling I shouldn't drink that night, so I just had juice...

Drink driving is a huge no-no in country victoria (anywhere in aus, really)... when they say "you could be stopped for a RBT anywhere, anytime" they fuckin mean it... You cant go a month over there without seeing a booze bus (even on 4 lane roads...they dont care if you're late... good on 'em, i reckon!).... here, it's like they dont dive a fuck... it's a friggin joke... they could set one up on sh1 near raumati and clean up on a friday night... might stop pricks driving into other lanes and killing people if they did... but they don't

inlinefour
11th March 2005, 16:54
As it does get some drunks off the road. If you cant afford alcohol then you can afford a taxi.

soundbeltfarm
11th March 2005, 16:55
I don't drink and ride - affects my judgement, balance and riding too much.[/QUOTE]

i dont drink and ride either, my helmet gets in the way....haha

Biff
11th March 2005, 17:18
now I feel like a man !

Each to their own.

Welcome :spudwave:

I've only ever drunk alcohol once (1 small bottle of Speights) and ridden a bike, and it scared the shit out of me. Never again.
Everybody in charge of a motor vehicle should be tested. Heaven fobid a cop waves a biker through even though the biker is pissed, then he ploughs into a bustop and kills someone. I wonder if the cop could be held in deraliction of duty?

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 17:19
I don't drink and ride - my beer falls off the tank!

Ever gone thru the drive-thru at BK? that's always a laff..

Blakamin
11th March 2005, 17:24
Ever gone thru the drive-thru at BK? that's always a laff..
I do it all the time.... have to turn the duc off tho coz I cant hear them....

Waylander
11th March 2005, 17:29
Lol use mine as vengence for all those buggers that you can't understand when they talk into it. Not to mention most are mexican and can barely speak english (no offence but its true atleast for the states that touch Mexico) so most often don't get what you orderd. I can imagine thier faces when they answer the drive through buzzer and all they hear is the roaring of a motorbike exhaust.

bugjuice
11th March 2005, 17:30
and is it funny..?
whenever I walk in, I always play the 'ta-go please..', and they get all serious. I look at them and ask how I'm going to ride away while I drink my coke and fill my face.. I just like to fuk with peeps.. most of the time works

Blakamin
11th March 2005, 17:36
and is it funny..?

They used to look at me weird (but I've got burger-sized pockets)... I think they're used to me now...

Jackrat
11th March 2005, 20:39
Only ever blown in the machine thingy once, an that was in OZ.
Middle of absolutely nowhere we come over a rise an there's a bloody booze bus.I asked the cop what he thought his chances were way the hell out here, an he told me they'd got a couple already.
Both truckies. :crazy:
This was about 10.00 am. :crazy:

Maximus
11th March 2005, 20:44
Each to their own.

Welcome :spudwave:

And mite I say it's good to meet you to :p

gav
11th March 2005, 21:05
Stopped in at KFC last night, ordered two burgers and a family feast (big 10 piece pack with extras), inside at counter and was asked "is that to eat here or takeaway?"
"Listen sonny, I might be a fat bastard but even I'd struggle to polish that lot off in one sitting!"

D Man
11th March 2005, 21:19
Been breath tested twice on the bike, numerous times in the car. Never failed

First cop asked me to remove the helmet etc, took my time as one does, this was on Upperharbour Drv, the second cop said lift the helmet and give your details. Damn fine chap that guy. This was out between New Lynn and Titirangi.

zooter
11th March 2005, 22:12
Riding my Dial A Driver foldup scooter I'm being followed by (out of town) cop. Pulled over for the red and blues and find they are for me. Whatever. "Have you been drinking tonight Sir?"_YOU'RE NOT FROM ROUND HERE ARE YOU? .."Er, No" READ THE BACK OF MY HELMET" .."Dial a Driver 0800 etc whats that? So I explain that I ride the foldup bike between jobs driving home drunks with the bike in the boot. He still breathylyses me!!!

Wolf
12th March 2005, 08:54
Riding my Dial A Driver foldup scooter I'm being followed by (out of town) cop. Pulled over for the red and blues and find they are for me. Whatever. "Have you been drinking tonight Sir?"_YOU'RE NOT FROM ROUND HERE ARE YOU? .."Er, No" READ THE BACK OF MY HELMET" .."Dial a Driver 0800 etc whats that? So I explain that I ride the foldup bike between jobs driving home drunks with the bike in the boot. He still breathylyses me!!!
He'll be the next Commissioner of Police. ;)

Wonder if he was the same cop who stopped a tanker, clearly labelled "Morrinsville-Thames Valley Co-operative Dairy Company", on the weigh bridge and asked "Whaddya carrying?"
Of course, the trucker answered "Logs." and the cop then asked him if he was taking the piss.

Sounds like the same bloke. Please tell me there aren't two cops that thick doing traffic duty in this country.

MSTRS
12th March 2005, 08:59
He'll be the next Commissioner of Police. ;)

Wonder if he was the same cop who stopped a tanker, clearly labelled "Morrinsville-Thames Valley Co-operative Dairy Company", on the weigh bridge and asked "Whaddya carrying?"
Of course, the trucker answered "Logs." and the cop then asked him if he was taking the piss.

Sounds like the same bloke. Please tell me there aren't two cops that thick doing traffic duty in this country.
:Police: :killingme :killingme :killingme only two??????

Jantar
12th March 2005, 13:58
I've only ever been breath tested when on the bike twice. Both times were after the Brass monkey rally.

Last year 1500 riders were tested, and not one was over the limit. The previous year 1700 were tested, and 4 were taking aside for evidentary testing. Each of those had stopped a the tavern for a beer or two just a few Ks short of the checkpoint. They deserved to be caught.

My main beef with the check points after the Brass is that the Police were invited to come onto the site and have a voluntary test booth where riders could ask to be tested before setting out, and before they even got on their bikes. The police refused and instead had at 17 officers assigned to check point duties. The Otago MC club made a tester available for those who wanted to take advantage, and as a result, no arrests for DUI.

It just shows that when riders are able to be made aware of how close to, or how far over the limit they are, most will chose to act responsibly. However that doesn't help with the government's revenue collection, so the police bosses would prefer riders to be unaware, That way there is more chance of a successful conviction.

Note that this tactic is a police management decision and not one that the guys on the front line have any say in.

Personally, I feel hacked off at having to stop for these so called random tests.

SPman
12th March 2005, 15:52
I've only ever been breathalized? three times, all on the bike, all on Tamaki Drive and always after 10am but before noon.

Must be a lot of drunks in that part of town, eh? :spudwhat:

Probably all those Architects going between morning drinks and lunch.:apint:

Maximus
12th March 2005, 16:23
Alright, WTF!!!

I was on my home last night, when I was stopped at a checkpoint AGAIN!! So this time I made sure I took my time! . . . . . . .

I know that the cop's are just doin their job and all, and that's cool, but im beginning to think I might just look a little dodgy or something?!! :angry2:
Either that or "someone" is picking on me . . . . :unsure:

Oh well i'll let my :apint: console . . . .

Guess I won't be driving anywhere tonite! . . . . :nono: