PDA

View Full Version : Should all off topic...

Blakamin
11th March 2005, 18:34
Should all off topic threads be (nearly) the same as "Pointless Drivel"?

ie...
Posting will not add to your post count
Threads will not be indexed in the search db

Slipstream
12th March 2005, 06:11
Hey B :)

Good idea, but I think there should be at least another option. One that goes between the two.
And no I have no idea what it should be.
But personally, I really don't know what is honestly considered drivel and what isn't. Like some things are funny, which other KBers think are crap and other posts can be absolute crap (IMHO) which other KBers are fine with...or seem to be.

I think all FTP threads and "beastiality rocks" threads aren't really needed. But the occasional post on "hey I'm having a party" or "traveling down south" is ok.

I do know we have a very rarely used chat roooms, which a lot of this stuff could be put on. Thing is, noone really wants to go there cos you can't follow the arguement/conversation with ease. There's only 1 page of memory I think.

I dunno...but whatever the powers that be decide....people will stay, or people will go. Whatever you at the top started this forum up as, or where you want it to go, should make the rules....:)

I like it here...but people might not like my drivel....but you know...noones told me I drivel yet......*waits for PM's about 'You Suck!'*

SUMMARY: I can't tick either of these boxes

FzerozeroT
12th March 2005, 07:11
can a thread starter be given the option to knock it down a level, i.e. that security warning i wanted to come up in new posts, maybe if they continue after a week they could automatically shift down a level, that way people like me who only hit new posts might see something of interest start up, then we know to subscribe before it goes into drivel :done:

whoops, not done yet!
Maybe Rave on doesn't count to post count either, but I think ALL threads should be indexed, otherwise billy won't be able to tell whats already been posted

Blakamin
12th March 2005, 07:12
hmmmm.... not a bad idea.... just cant think of the best way to do it...

jrandom
12th March 2005, 07:20
It's a difficult question, but then I think a lot of really good discussion goes on here on subjects not immediately related to motorcycling. It'd be a shame to kill that entirely, but how do we keep the good stuff without giving people a licence to post crap?

Maybe off-topic threads should have a limited lifespan, and can only be saved from automatic deletion after however-long if enough (and what's 'enough'...?) senior members vote for that thread to stay alive during that period. Or something.

bluninja
12th March 2005, 07:20
People can't even be arsed to check the 'bike' forums to see if there is already an answer, or a thread about what they are drivelling on about, so why pick on the Rave on forum?? :spudwhat:

Or are you looking to expand your role into a full time thing? You know; vetting all the posts and joining them to the correct thread in the correct forum. Marking them as drivel, so they don't add to post count and aren't searchable...or not? Perhaps you should delete all the posts that are a repetition and just add a repeat count to the original post.....Hey we could even have a flame warrior award for 'Serial Repeater' :shake:

Perhaps we should be deleting posts from people without an overt interest in motorbikes to get the site back to it's 'biking' best.

Hey maybe you should just code up some customisation so that members can go into their User CP and choose only to see the non-Rave On post count for each KBer, and not have anything from forums they don't want to view pop up in the new posts section.

Is this the thin end of the wedge I ask myself??? What next?? posts don't count if the spelling or grammar is poor? Perhaps over use of smilies should see them consigned to the electronic wastebin in the internet?

I realise you are a 'new' moderator......but you do know that the forum name is displayed with the new posts so that you can clearly see if it's in the 'drivel' section or not? So if you don't want to read it you don't click on the thread ...simple huh?

Ho hum....another post to my count :2thumbsup PT

jrandom
12th March 2005, 07:24
bluninja speaks troof.

I vote for leaving it alone, and Blakamin continuing to manually hose threads that are really, really stupid or about personal attacks.

And yes, occasionally he will be disagreed with in those judgments, but tough cookies, that's the price of having a moderator, and I'm fairly sure he won't be crying himself to sleep because someone grumped at him.

FROSTY
12th March 2005, 07:31
People can't even be arsed to check the 'bike' forums to see if there is already an answer, or a thread about what they are drivelling on about, so why pick on the Rave on forum?? :spudwhat:

Or are you looking to expand your role into a full time thing? You know; vetting all the posts and joining them to the correct thread in the correct forum. Marking them as drivel, so they don't add to post count and aren't searchable...or not? Perhaps you should delete all the posts that are a repetition and just add a repeat count to the original post.....Hey we could even have a flame warrior award for 'Serial Repeater' :shake:

Perhaps we should be deleting posts from people without an overt interest in motorbikes to get the site back to it's 'biking' best.

Hey maybe you should just code up some customisation so that members can go into their User CP and choose only to see the non-Rave On post count for each KBer, and not have anything from forums they don't want to view pop up in the new posts section.

Is this the thin end of the wedge I ask myself??? What next?? posts don't count if the spelling or grammar is poor? Perhaps over use of smilies should see them consigned to the electronic wastebin in the internet?

I realise you are a 'new' moderator......but you do know that the forum name is displayed with the new posts so that you can clearly see if it's in the 'drivel' section or not? So if you don't want to read it you don't click on the thread ...simple huh?

Ho hum....another post to my count :2thumbsup PT
I see ya point about freedom of speech. but last few months have seen a lot of well um--total crap.
I mean really can you honestly say that thread topics like--Did you see the simpsons last night or Im really drunk or give me reputation points please or why does everybody hate me ? Have even a hint of relavance to bikes in any way
Also re search options--keep in mind a lot of us are BIKERS not computer people -so figuring out search options-well it aint an option

bluninja
12th March 2005, 07:42
I see ya point about freedom of speech. but last few months have seen a lot of well um--total crap.
I mean really can you honestly say that thread topics like--Did you see the simpsons last night or Im really drunk or give me reputation points please or why does everybody hate me ? Have even a hint of relavance to bikes in any way
Also re search options--keep in mind a lot of us are BIKERS not computer people -so figuring out search options-well it aint an option

Sorry dude, it was a bit of a piss take. I know there's a load of crap threads...head off to Tenerife for a week in the sun and there's just too much to wade through on my return. I just scan what forum it's in and who originally posted before choosing to look see. There's certain people I just won't bother reading....but in a good thread they may contribute an odd gem now and then.

So who are these computer people??? :confused:

BTW did you see Rainbow Warriors attempt to get some dialogue on thread hijacking??? I think a can of Tetleys would go down great now. :sunny:

Blakamin

I know that... and it doesn't really bother me, personally... but when i get numerous PM's from people saying "this is crap, bye" it makes me wonder... so I started this thread to get some opinions....

Maybe someone else wants to be moderator then, coz starting next week (new job), I'm not going to have the same amount of time to spend here "moderating".... I like to read the posts too, not just move them around...

I think everyones point is along the lines of "I click on new posts and all I get is shit... I have to search 3 pages to get something bike related" :spudwhat:

Skunk
Should all off topic threads be (nearly) the same as "Pointless Drivel"?

ie...
Posting will not add to your post count
Threads will not be indexed in the search db
New posts will not make the thread display in the New Posts pageCan you do all Rave On and sub forums and Site Stuff etc not count to post count?
Keep it searchable via 'advanced search' only (sometimes good info is in there (yeah, I know it's rare...).
Agree with bluninja that the New Posts page shows tthe forum it's in any way, so keep them showing up. Ya never know if something good/important will turn up.

bluninja
12th March 2005, 07:48
I know that... and it doesn't really bother me, personally... but when i get numerous PM's from people saying "this is crap, bye" it makes me wonder... so I started this thread to get some opinions....

Maybe someone else wants to be moderator then, coz starting next week (new job), I'm not going to have the same amount of time to spend here "moderating".... I like to read the posts too, not just move them around...

I think everyones point is along the lines of "I click on new posts and all I get is shit... I have to search 3 pages to get something bike related" :spudwhat:

I know...it was easy moderating in the 'old' days when there weren't as many members, but there seemed to be lots of people taking offence easily and reporting posts. Oh yeah....don't start me on trolling...or PT(pisstakes) :banana:

ManDownUnder
12th March 2005, 08:00
I think there's a couple of dimensions to it

I think most in KB would identify with a community of sorts in here. It's not only a tech fourm or a forum for q's and a's. Discussion on most topics has a huge social side to it, and I think friendships of sorts are struck up.

We need to recognise those and have an appropriate forum for them. Rave On leaps to mind - dealt with, so no big deal.

There are those threads starting off on topic then leaping off onto a life of there own (aka hijacking). Moderators are welcome here - either address it or push it aside to keep it on topic.

Then there are the DUMB threads. Each of us has our own perspective/opinion on what constitutes a dumb thread, but with the power vested in the moderators, and our willing agreement they're never wrong... or human, or civilised... or... hang on - WHO AM I ATTACKING???

... ahem...

...suffice to say the mods have plenty of discretionary power to do with them as they will... and I'm sure they're not going to lose too many sleepless nights over it.

MDU

Slipstream
12th March 2005, 08:12
Why not just keep the site like it is and have another moderator specifically dealing with the rave on section.

That way everybody should be happy. People can still post crap, but if it's too crap or insulting it gets wiped. Blackamin can deal with just biker threads and kick off any unnecessary waffling or unrelated bike stuff, or whatever.

How bout it SpankMe? Another mod who only deals with Rave On section?

StoneChucker
12th March 2005, 08:40
I must admit, this current talk makes me a little uneasy. I think the site is not all that bad at the moment. Yes there is a fair amount of crap posted but you can normally tell by the subject, and who posted it, whether or not you want to read it.

I think it may be a bad idea to strictly control what people can post. It's the same in normal life, people get upset if you tell them what they can and can't say. However, as in life, there should be rules. Why not simply make it known that it's not acceptable to start threads like "Sitting here, noticed my tongue is hairy" or "will it rain tomorrow?". Since for the majority, we have a fairly stable members list, everyone will know whats acceptable and post accordingly. Obviously new members may err, or habitual offenders will push their luck but thats the same in life.

Some may not realise the magnitude of KB as a social tool, which will be sorely missed by some, were it ever to cave in on itself... :confused:

I love you all, STOP posting faeces! :done:

FROSTY
12th March 2005, 08:56
SC you have a bloody good point -maybee I should change my name to -winging pom. :spudwhat:
I guess my concern is That I've seen it all before at least 4 times-
Id hate to see KB go the same way as those forums did -killed because dealing with the shit just became too hard for the people who ran/inhabited it.