PDA

View Full Version : First time issue with cop over registration plate

Holdenz
23rd April 2009, 21:33
I relocated the position of my plate almost two months ago (about 3,000kms of riding since) and this morning on my way to work a cop on a bike decided to pull me over. The issue was and in his words… “Your registration plate is not mounted on the rear of the vehicle”. He did ask where the number plate light was and I explained that I had yet to mount it so he told me not to bother and to but it back the way it was.
There was no mention that he could not see the plate at all (or that I had no reflector) and even commented on the fact that he could see I was not trying to hide the plate. Anyway he let me off with a warning but I was to fix it or next time I would get a ticket.
When mounting I made sure that it was as visible as possible even with my wife on the back and we have done a few km’s with this and not had an issue till now.
Apart from getting the light on I would like to know what you think. As from the Pic, you can see that my plate could be considered better as depending on the position of the sun, you can see the plate compared to that of the bike parked next to me. My bike is the one on the left.

Cheers

Baz

hayd3n
23rd April 2009, 22:09
bugger i hope i dont get that mind you mine isn't as far back

CookMySock
23rd April 2009, 22:10
Sounds like he was having a crap day. We all get them. ;)

A week later he will have forgotten you, so just be cool until then. ;)

Steve

RantyDave
23rd April 2009, 22:18
Apart from getting the light on I would like to know what you think.
I honestly think you should put it back. Nice blue 675 like that is not going to be going slowly for very long so sooner or later you're going to be having another word with Mr Plod. Not necessarily that Mr Plod, but probably one of them and you don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Try looking on some 675 specific forums (triumphrat.net?) and see what everyone else has done.

Dave

MaxB
24th April 2009, 01:35
Saw a 675 in Auckland this week on the Southern M'way with the same mounting as you. IMHO it just gives the cops another excuse to pull you over illegal or not.

If they gave you a warning then good on ya but don't be surprised if you get ticketed one day by a cop having a really, really bad day.

Creeping Death
24th April 2009, 03:08
Judging by that pic...you deserve to go to jail...or at least 1000 hours of sweeping roads...:cool:

Taz
24th April 2009, 06:07
Just put it back where it belongs :whistle:

dangerous
24th April 2009, 06:27
I relocated the position of my plate almost two months ago
He did ask where the number plate light was and I explained that I had yet to mount it so he told me not to bother and to but it back the way it was.

well... IMHO when you boy racers ;) shove ya plats back there and hack the rears off it looks a shitty as.
Now as far as the light goes, come on after 2 months you have no intention of lighting the plate now do ya?
Yes the coppers being picky and should be doing something more construtive but doing his job at the same time.
What you have is a unwarantable bike (no plate light and no reflector) had you been me I would have been nicked LOL

Nasty
24th April 2009, 06:33
I looked and thought so what .. but the question asked was where is your numberplate - which means it was not as visible as you think perhaps.

Unit
24th April 2009, 07:07
All personal opinion aside, what does the law actually say about the positioning of a numberplate on a bike? Does it specify it must be mounted at the 'back of the bike', if so, define where that point is. Does the law discuss the angle it must be on, etc. Arm yourself with the facts and comply to the best of your opinion, then, when Mr "I watching you" Plod pulls you over again (I take it this happened on your regular commute road?) you will know what your rights are.

Kflasher
24th April 2009, 07:17
I had done the similar thing with the 'ten', not worth the future issues so moved to the 'close ot original' position I liked.
Check out pic.

koba
24th April 2009, 07:29
Sounds like he was having a crap day. We all get them. ;)

A week later he will have forgotten you, so just be cool until then. ;)

Steve

HaHa! not in Upper Hutt!

Str8 Jacket
24th April 2009, 07:36
Man, I rode home from feilding and then to work and back the next day without a numberplate and no one even noticed! :crybaby:

Mole_C
24th April 2009, 08:08
What about night. Gonna be bloody hard to read your plate when its tucked up under there in the dark, even if it did have a light. Even in the day you have to be at a good angle to read it properly.

Sounds to me like he was nice to give you a warning.

MSTRS
24th April 2009, 08:58
Not a great place to put it. I can see where it's been rubbing on the tyre. Bad enough to wear out the rubber on the road, but to just hand it over on a plate? :pinch:

sinfull
24th April 2009, 09:09
Cool ! The plates in 3 D in that photo !
You have to see his point though aye, one ride through some road works and it would become iniligable !
As for the number plate light law, thats archaic as, with the new refector plates they can be read in headlights, (but of course not from the side of the road as ya go past) it is law, so he can ticket ya for not having one !
Looks to me like ya have two choices lol

davebullet
24th April 2009, 09:10
You mentioned "in the morning" Was it darkish? Probably the lack of light made him think no plate? Put the light on and see if it happens again. Technically someone somewhere must have defined what "Rear of vehicle" means.... ie. how far forward from the rearmost part of the vehicle can the plate be put in order to still be determined "at the rear". I think rear facing and unobstructed view (which includes being well lit in the dark) are probably more important here than whether it is under the tail or fitted to the factory snow plough.

dipshit
24th April 2009, 10:30
well... IMHO when you boy racers ;) shove ya plats back there and hack the rears off it looks a shitty as.

I agree. Just another wank American trend.

Holdenz
24th April 2009, 10:33
It was just after 8am when it happened so the light was fine. I have decided to try and locate the plate between the indicators under the muffler. It is going to be harder to mount a light for it but should be able to do something. BTW I should have said that it had been like this for two weeks not months (I should have read it before posting).

The only reason for moving it was that I like the clean look of the bike in this way but I guess I'll have to get use to it. I might start taking pictures of cars with obscured plates and send them to the cops weekly.

Cheers

Baz

Ixion
24th April 2009, 10:52
Def illegal. You were lucky to get off with a warning.

What the law says

Affixing of registration plates (other than trade plates)
Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle shall be displayed as follows:
(a) In the case of a motor vehicle other than a motor vehicle of any of the kinds specified in paragraph (b) of this clause, one plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and one plate shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, and both plates shall be in an upright position and so displayed that every letter, figure, and distinguishing mark on the plate is easily visible:
(b) in the case of any motor cycle, moped, tractor, or trailer, one plate shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle in an upright position and so displayed that every letter, figure, and distinguishing mark on the plate is easily visible.

Mully
24th April 2009, 11:06
It's probably because a speed camera couldn't get a clear shot of it.....

peasea
24th April 2009, 14:39
Make a replica of your number plate but out of thicker material. Sharpen three sides of the new plate, put a handle on the end and mount it wherever you like using quick-release clips. If you get stopped, rip the plate from its mount and chop the copper's ugly fuckin' head off. Fixed.

peasea
24th April 2009, 14:44
Maybe even something like this....

98tls
24th April 2009, 17:24
It was just after 8am when it happened so the light was fine. I have decided to try and locate the plate between the indicators under the muffler. It is going to be harder to mount a light for it but should be able to do something. BTW I should have said that it had been like this for two weeks not months (I should have read it before posting).

The only reason for moving it was that I like the clean look of the bike in this way but I guess I'll have to get use to it. I might start taking pictures of cars with obscured plates and send them to the cops weekly.

Cheers

Baz Grab an LED number plate light (see pic) and attach it to the top of the plate mate,just make sure its an angled one so the source isnt visible from behind,tis all ive done and hasnt failed a wof yet.

98tls
24th April 2009, 17:32
Heres a better pic of the number plate light,i would just drill a hole in the top/middle of your plate and good to go,the only other thing they may want is a red reflector,i bought a $5 bicycle one cut in half and all was good.

dasser
24th April 2009, 19:00
Not a great place to put it. I can see where it's been rubbing on the tyre. Bad enough to wear out the rubber on the road, but to just hand it over on a plate? :pinch:

Hi Ya, I agree with MSTRS. From the photo it does not look like a great place to hang the plate. From the looks of it hitting a big pot hole in Upper Hutt would send the back wheel into the plate.
Just maybe the cop was also thinking about your safety...Maybe, maybe not.

:whistle:

Maybe try the crusier style of hanging the plate on its side. :cool:

Moki
24th April 2009, 19:14
Perhaps it's not as visible when you're riding the bike- just parked up there isn't any weight on it. In addition, Mr Plod probably saw the reverse angle that this was mounted at as a means for speed cameras snapping you.

Insanity_rules
24th April 2009, 21:22
HaHa! not in Upper Hutt!

Amen brother!

koba
24th April 2009, 21:44
Maybe even something like this....

Turbo? I know, I know, :Offtopic:

AllanB
24th April 2009, 21:54
I think the cop was a good bugger just giving you a warning.

Considering 1. the plate is not visible enough. 2. there is not a reflector, 3. there is no plate light.

In my personal opinion it looks weird - like you have tried to hide your plate :whistle:

Check out the plate hangers on the Street Triple - a cool bit of kit making a feature of the hanger.

98tls
24th April 2009, 21:58
I think the cop was a good bugger just giving you a warning.

Considering 1. the plate is not visible enough. 2. there is not a reflector, 3. there is no plate light.

In my personal opinion it looks weird - like you have tried to hide your plate :whistle:

Check out the plate hangers on the Street Triple - a cool bit of kit making a feature of the hanger. Or possibly "look what i made with an old meccano set".

AllanB
24th April 2009, 22:11
Or possibly "look what i made with an old meccano set".

he he - showing your age now!

Meccano is cool :cool:

BigG
25th April 2009, 11:16
Take it down to your local WOF place and get them to sort it, as long as the plate is visible and can be read from the rear Day AND Night then you aint got a problem easy and cheap to fix.:2guns: