PDA

View Full Version : Transponders - can we fix things?

FROSTY
26th April 2009, 17:05
It just occurred to me that out there in the vastness of Kiwibikerland we have some real brain boxes.
Heres the rub --Tim Gibbs has over the years developed a pretty darn good setup with rechargeable transponders for a lot of NZ racing.
Would someone within KB be able to make transponders compatable with tims system to fit permanantly to a race bike.?
Also would someone be able to make and run the systems required to run and use these transponders.?
I'd be inteested to hear if someones up to the challenge and how much the system would cost.

cowpoos
26th April 2009, 17:21
there was a discussion about this already...recently. search aff mans recent posts for details

Biggles08
26th April 2009, 17:26
Not that its a bad question to ask Frosty but whats wrong with using the Tim Gibbs system we already have?

Shaun P
26th April 2009, 17:44
Needs to have live internet and tv broadcast to the pits for timing too

FROSTY
26th April 2009, 17:48
Needs to have live internet and tv broadcast to the pits for timing too
Why??
Seriously mate.Im not thinking to compete with mr Gibbs just maybee to have a basic system used at events not attended by mr Gibbs.
Hey if someones gone down this track -has anyone costed out building a system?

Shaun P
26th April 2009, 17:58
Why - because live timing is cool brings in more professional pits, lcd tv's/wireless pc's etc, incresed spectator interest, keeps the pit crew in the loop, is instantaneous, you are able to see who's coming where in other races while waiting for your own race and if you not at the track you can keep up to date with whats happening.

It happens in Aus see here http://www.computime.com.au/

CookMySock
26th April 2009, 17:58
has anyone costed out building a system?With the combined brain power on KB, projects like this are easily realisable.

But it has all been talked about before - regulator/rectifier, programmable CDI, traction control, cruise control, transponders... So what are the issues?

- People cannot agree
- Some person ridicules someone else, and they give up
- No one will relinquish licensing
- No place to do development
- No money available

what else?

Steve

Biggles08
26th April 2009, 18:03
why - because live timing is cool brings in more professional pits, lcd tv's/wireless pc's etc, incresed spectator interest, keeps the pit crew in the loop, is instantaneous, you are able to see who's coming where in other races while waiting for your own race and if you not at the track you can keep up to date with whats happening.

It happens in aus see here http://www.computime.com.au/

nice!!!!! :-d

slowpoke
26th April 2009, 23:27
Why - because live timing is cool brings in more professional pits, lcd tv's/wireless pc's etc, incresed spectator interest, keeps the pit crew in the loop, is instantaneous, you are able to see who's coming where in other races while waiting for your own race and if you not at the track you can keep up to date with whats happening.

Exactly! Tims system is good and does what it needs to do but with technology available now why not look at something that enhances the event rather than just providng basic functions. Grow the sport, don't just keep it alive.

FROSTY
27th April 2009, 09:05
Guys Im not having a go at anybody in particular here but read back on the posts here.
An idea is put forward and rather than going hey great idea ill talk to my uncle,boss,sidekick,professor its all "ohh thats not good enough"
Instead of knocking the basic concept why not find out if its doable and how much. Crikey dicks maybee the system could become upgradeable

BMWST?
27th April 2009, 09:19
there are outfits which do this already.Ie theTaupo bike race/relay has transonders supplied by some other outfit(ie the cycle challenge people dont do it themselves.)

FROSTY
27th April 2009, 09:29
sorry dude--read back to first post-thats tim gibbs

ajturbo
27th April 2009, 10:52
baydon, down here in welly is looking at this, work in progress...

we are wanting this for the bucket racing.. costs seam to be about $30-$50 each unit...but as i have not heard from him in a few months, i do not know where he's at in the development.... but he did have one unit to test... untill the wind blew over the reciver and broke it... doh!!!

wharfy
27th April 2009, 11:12

Talk to Mr Gibbs I am pretty sure all that shit is available for the AMB system, but I think those pro teams or the event organizers pay for all of that I don't think any of it is free.

CookMySock
27th April 2009, 14:09
With regard to cameras and live video, theres lots of video editing and mixing stuff for PCs, and lots cheapo cameras available, and its not hard to broadcast live streams on the internet. I am surprised there isn't some group that does this sort of thing just for fun - I have been tempted to do it myself, but all my cash goes into bikes at the moment.

Steve

scott411
27th April 2009, 16:32
AMB sells all the stuff available to have multiple outlets, and MX timing who does most the MX races in NZ have the equipment, normally at MX events they have a remote TV moniter the mecahincs can view there riders times,

but with everything it costs $$$$$,

i have heard differing reports for years about people making transponders a , lot cheaper than the AMB ones, but have yet to see one of them, quality costs $$$, the amb system is not cheap, but it is very reliable, and very well tested,

unfortunaly AMB dropped the live update function from there mylaps.com website, not sure why,

FROSTY
27th April 2009, 23:03
Imm looking into it by talking to the folk at the local Kart track.
They run a simple timing system and the transponders are bloody solid

scott411
28th April 2009, 20:07
Imm looking into it by talking to the folk at the local Kart track.
They run a simple timing system and the transponders are bloody solid

all kart tracks in NZ run AMB as well,
as with the motocross there transponders are cheaper as they are rated to 120km/h, where as the road race ones need to be rated to a higher speed,

and western springs run amb systems and transponders as well,

FROSTY
28th April 2009, 21:55
all kart tracks in NZ run AMB as well,
as with the motocross there transponders are cheaper as they are rated to 120km/h, where as the road race ones need to be rated to a higher speed,

and western springs run amb systems and transponders as well,
BUGGER-- still this doesnt givan idea of costing though

scott411
28th April 2009, 22:02
cost are available off AMB's website, its not cheap,

Hoon
29th April 2009, 00:37
The AMB transponders are top shelf and used for NASCAR, AMA. With the proper setup it can do live time/position feeds to the pits or commentators over wireless network or RF TV signal. To get started you'd need a decoder and software which is about $9,000.

Brian d marge
29th April 2009, 02:18
http://www.aimsports.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=34
I did have another somewhere but they aren't expensive ,,, There are bike mounted units as well

Stephen

wharfy
29th April 2009, 04:15
http://www.aimsports.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=34
I did have another somewhere but they aren't expensive ,,, There are bike mounted units as well

Stephen
These look like they are to display lap times for the rider during the race/practice, as opposed to recording them or displaying them for anyone else.
look like they might be quite good for that but being light activated what happens if another bike is between your bikes sensor and the beam ?

FROSTY
29th April 2009, 12:40
Thinking about this there is another way to skin the cat.
"someone" finds out how much to run a T Gibbs timing system AND his availablity for amcc meetings.
Then send an e mail to all affected active AMCC members telling them how much it will cost and asking if they would accept that cost.

ajturbo
29th April 2009, 14:23
hey frosty..

as an "insider" with the vic club... i know that the hired transponders costs
$33.75/day to hire....that is what the racers need to pay before they are allowed to race (apart from entre fees etc..lol)
to get tim there?... i "think" that is covered by the hirage..
he has a dam good set-up, and if you ask him nicely i am sure that he could direct a feed to the pits if you supply a big TV (ie LG )

Kickaha
29th April 2009, 18:50
and if you ask him nicely i am sure that he could direct a feed to the pits if you supply a big TV (ie LG )

There was a feed to a TV in pitlane at the Nationals

scracha
29th April 2009, 21:04
Cant' understand why in the 21st century the tracks don't have video camera feeds and multiple timing loops built in. Surely a modified ANPR system could surely work out the timing?

FROSTY
30th April 2009, 19:03
Im probably digging up old information BUT.
Turns out that the ground loops for transponders are already at Pukie.The Auckland Car Club (who shares a building with AMCC) has all the computer timing systems to run transponders.
Im looking into how renting the units would work with ACC through a freind of mine.
So it looks now as being logisticly possible to run transponders.
Um just dont wanna offend anyone in the clubs coincernned

wharfy
30th April 2009, 19:11
Im probably digging up old information BUT.
Turns out that the ground loops for transponders are already at Pukie.The Auckland Car Club (who shares a building with AMCC) has all the computer timing systems to run transponders.
Im looking into how renting the units would work with ACC through a freind of mine.
So it looks now as being logisticly possible to run transponders.
Um just dont wanna offend anyone in the clubs coincernned

The Canterbury Car Club and Canterbury Motorcycle Club share a pool of transponders (AMB) and they were FREE to use at SOT - but if you break it you own it