PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki sg350 Goose

SVboy
28th April 2009, 12:20
I have always liked the look of these. Thinking about another bike to keep the kms down on the Kawaka. What are they like? Hopefully a nice handling wee cafe racer thing? Ok power? Any issues?

megageoff76
28th April 2009, 13:57
I owned one of these a few years back.

They have awesome handing, and they are so light you can easily fling it through some corners with ease.
On a twisty road you can definately give bigger bikes a run for their money.

The are so simple to work on, plugs oil etc are all easy to get at, and it gave super fuel economy.
The only problem I ever had was the starter motor seizing due to water getting and rusting up the internals.

The only downside is that it could do with a wee bit more power, but if you keep it revving there is enough there to let you get a hustle on.

It would be a wicked sports commuter for you, recommended.

HenryDorsetCase
28th April 2009, 14:23
I have always liked the look of these. Thinking about another bike to keep the kms down on the Kawaka. What are they like? Hopefully a nice handling wee cafe racer thing? Ok power? Any issues?

I've never owned one, but the principle is sound. I have owned SRX-6 and GB400, and both of them will also do what you want and might be a bit more common than the Goose.

Or you could go the whole hog: Bimota Supermono, Ducati Supermono. Might be a bit more money than you want to spend though.

MSTRS
28th April 2009, 15:32
Talk to Beemer...she has one

Bonez
28th April 2009, 16:36
Riden with a couple chaps who have had these. Great wee bikes.

SVboy
29th April 2009, 08:56
Thank you people-just the info I need.

Fooman
29th April 2009, 09:15
I've got a goose rolling chassis that I'm going to turn into a bucket racer/clubmans thing one day.

Things to note about the goose, other than it is a popular wee bike to those in the know:

- 33hp stock - popular in UK for restricted licenses
- DR350 motor with external oil reservoir below motor (DR350 has oil in frame) - this reservoir can be tricky ($$$) to replace if damaged
- USD front forks the same as the RG125F(UN) of the same vintage (early-mid 90's)
- Front/Rear brake calipers, and rear disc the same as the RGV250 of same vintage
- Front disc is unique to goose - only other option to OEM is EBC, or the racing Brembo Corsa disc
- Tank wall is thin and can be prone to rust.
- Eccentric chain adjusters on swing arm - need to use correct tool for adjustment.

If you do a websearch for "supergoose" you can see what the Japanese get up to with the bike - is quite popular to race, ala SRX660 in Europe.

Willdat?
29th April 2009, 09:43
Quite a tidy one for sale in Nelson for $2500 on trademe

Beemer
29th April 2009, 10:20
Talk to Beemer...she has one

And it just happens to be for sale! It's in mint condition - on Trade Me now. It's a great little bike for a shorty like me, but the reality is I rarely get the chance to ride it nowadays. I got a Corvette for my birthday and the bike has sadly lost its appeal.

I find them a really nice bike to ride - sure, there is not the power my F650CS had, but it's a reliable bike with reasonable power for a 350. The seat is NOT comfortable but the riding position isn't bad. I used to have problems with sore wrists and neck with the RG150, but the Goose's lack of a fairing means the wind holds you up and prevents this.

I do like the electric start and the smooth power - it sits beautifully at 50, 70 and 100kph, unlike the F650CS which seemed unhappy at those speeds.

SVboy
29th April 2009, 12:30
Thanks Beemer. thats the one on TM I am considering. Nice looking bike.

Beemer
29th April 2009, 14:06
I am in two minds as to whether I really do want to be bikeless and get rid of the Goose, but the reality is I could a) do with the money, and b) I rarely ride it now. I'd rather get rid of it while it's still a good bike and in mint condition than leave it until it's looking a bit ratty and no one wants it anyway! Feel free to ask any questions.

SPman
29th April 2009, 18:19
They crash well on roundabouts.......must have been the 12 psi in the front tyre........