PDA

View Full Version : Quick blat from Wgtn 12/03

bear
13th March 2005, 07:44
Hi guys,
Popped into Sawyers early on Saturday morning, discovered they were having a sale on their jackets, couldn't resist and purchased a new leather jacket, cheers Jeff. Beautiful day, so thought I'd better take the new jacket for a spin.

Headed up to Palmerston North, via SH1 (getting out of Wellington is always a pain), through Shannon and onto Palmy, such a great day could see Ruapehu. Nice ride, straight forward enough.
Quick stop for subway, a chap from a m/c club up that way stopped for a chat, and over the saddle to Woodville. Nice little track.

Normally the run back through the Wairarapa is quite dull - long straight roads. But this time I really enjoyed it (could have been the jacket). Wasn't hurling along, but a good average speed was kept.
The bypass for Masterton is good, but they should have one for Caterton as well, takes ages to get through, and the cars seem to travel at 20-30kph, instead of 50.

Had plenty of return waves - would put at 95%.

It's funny how transit keeps putting up 85/95 kph signs on corners that have been 100 for years, are people becoming worse drivers?

Not a very exciting write up, but it was such great weather I thought I would share. A few pics attached.

Cheers,
Bear

StoneChucker
13th March 2005, 08:27
:niceone: Looks like you had a good day. By "over the track", do you mean the Pahiatua track? Thats quite a nice ride. (great cafe nearby too - Over The Bridge, or some similar name)

Where are those wind turbines? Just out of Martinborough, on the way to White Rock??

bear
13th March 2005, 08:33
:niceone: Looks like you had a good day. By "over the track", do you mean the Pahiatua track? Thats quite a nice ride. (great cafe nearby too - Over The Bridge, or some similar name)

Where are those wind turbines? Just out of Martinborough, on the way to White Rock??

They're the ones on either side of the Manawatu Gorge, the track is the saddle road that goes from Ashurst to Woodville, just north of the gorge. Good road, twisty, and 45/35kph corners.

bear
14th March 2005, 07:33
Heard from a cop mate of mine that the reason for lower speed recommendations on some corners is due to the following: "engineering has evolved and many corners are now tested by advanced methods - albeit with the worst cars and drivers in mind".