PDA

View Full Version : A Short Cruise on Saturday

MSTRS
13th March 2005, 10:05
The day dawned beautiful & held such promise. After wearing out the phone for a riding buddy or two (pikers!!!), I gave up & thought 'Well I'm not going to waste the day....' Gassed up the Gixxer & headed off up the Napier-Taihape. It is a seriously great road for bikes until the seal runs out. Never having gone beyond this point, I decided the time had come. I know a few who have been over this road & consensus seems to be split evenly as to 'No problem' and 'Never again'. I didn't find it to be a big problem but did not like the badly corrugated sections. The Gixxer has most of the weight forward so with the front vibrating like a...well...vibrator on NOS and the back skittering about, I was glad to get back on the seal. I stopped here for a smoke and for 10-15 minutes I was treated to absolute silence and the glorious sight of a hawk soaring on the thermals. Not another person or vehicle to be seen. This was bliss. Now back on the seal I could open the throttle *just a tad* and cruised the rest of the way to Taihape without incident or hindrance. Distance about 150km including 35km of gravel. Coffee at my brother's place & replace a bolt that had vibrated out of the fairings. Decided to return to Napier via Taupo. No petrol at Taihape but no problem as the Gixxer has plenty of range. Crossed the Desert Road (more gravel at a couple of spots with road reconstruction happening), stopped at Turangi for gas ($15.00) tripmeter on 230km. Round the lake & over the Napier-Taupo road (was warned of a diesel spill, but didn't see anything. Also a truck carrying offal had lost it near TePohue - cleaned up but still very smelly). Arrived home safely. Total kms 420. Sun all the way. Saw only one HP, three other bikes (all waved) and only 2 anxious moments with other vehicles (you guessed it - a bus and a 4x4 - both pulled out to pass as I was passing them). Tossers. But all in all a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. Any takers for another time?

MSTRS
14th March 2005, 08:05
Oh and sorry to those that like photos, I forgot to take the camera. Maybe next time. The prime shot would be Ruapehu when the road finally crests.

Gixxer 4 ever
14th March 2005, 12:48
. Any takers for another time?
:spudwave: One day I will come along. I do not like the shingle because of the dust and shit on the chain but it can be cleaned. Sorry you can not get to the track day. Next time ay.

mangell6
14th March 2005, 13:30
Sorry I couldn't make it this time, I would have met you at . . . . . .

Mike (he he he he)

MSTRS
14th March 2005, 13:41
Sorry I couldn't make it this time, I would have met you at . . . . . .

Mike (he he he he)
the Brown Sugar?

mangell6
14th March 2005, 13:57
No, the one opposite.