PDA

View Full Version : Cheer us up?

lv929
29th April 2009, 22:23
We are currently in the middle of the immigration process and experiencing all the (usual?) frustrations with the process. We are supposed to be in Christchurch end of July to start my job but I am wondering how that can happen..

Anyway, we try and think of the good things ahead to keep us going - we have already been househunting on the internet and found out what and where we would like/can afford. We are bringing the bikes with us and now it's time to plan our first bike ride :yes: Metaphorically speaking anyway.....

So I was hoping you could plan a virtual bike trip for us starting somewhere on the west side of Christchurch, so I can look at maps and pretty pictures and we can forget the endless form filling and delays :argh: and stay :calm:

:woohoo: it's getting closer

dipshit
29th April 2009, 22:33
Well perhaps this isn't around chch. It's a bit further away near Queenstown... but you are going to have roads and places like this all over the show in the south island... :yes:

http://www.photoshare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100366/100974/IMG_6706ulb2509.jpg

http://www.photoshare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100366/100974/IMG_6708ulb6115.jpg

peasea
29th April 2009, 22:36
We are currently in the middle of the immigration process and experiencing all the (usual?) frustrations with the process. We are supposed to be in Christchurch end of July to start my job but I am wondering how that can happen..

Anyway, we try and think of the good things ahead to keep us going - we have already been househunting on the internet and found out what and where we would like/can afford. We are bringing the bikes with us and now it's time to plan our first bike ride :yes: Metaphorically speaking anyway.....

So I was hoping you could plan a virtual bike trip for us starting somewhere on the west side of Christchurch, so I can look at maps and pretty pictures and we can forget the endless form filling and delays :argh: and stay :calm:

First, get some good E's, a bottle of bourbon and a good sound system. The rest will just happen.

BMWST?
29th April 2009, 22:38

i live here and i have had many trips around the south island but was blown away by this (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454398) ride report

triple-bee
24th May 2009, 00:20
cheers that,s what we where looking for, looks like the begining of aug before we are gonna get there tho

times starting to drag a bit now just wanna get on with it

Taz
24th May 2009, 08:11
Re immigration.... just tell them you are samoan and they'll let you straight in and set you up with a state house and a nice benefit or three.

R1madness
24th May 2009, 11:22
It is a process for sure. I imported a mechanic and his family from the UK last year and it was all hoops and flames to jump thru but he assures me it was worth it in the end.
The CHCH area is a motorcycling mecca. Short rides are a little limited but Banks Peninusla (sorry about my spelling) offers some great 2 hour rides. Then further afield there is the full day loop that runs CHCH to Arthurs pass to greymouth to westport then thru the buller gorge to Reefton back thru the Lewis pass and return to Chch. (About 5.5 hours riding) There are many side excursions that can reduce or add to the trip or be used to vary the route. All of which are in good condition (for NZ roads). Other trips worthy of a mention are a morning ride CHCH to Kaikora have a crayfish (NZ Lobster) for lunch and return, just watch for cops as it is State highway 1.
CHCH to Fairle via Geraldine is another good one with great views of the southern alps and Mt Cook. Have a look at the B roads around the area and look for a place called cave, nothing there but cool roads without the cops (mostly).
Lastly WELCOME to NZ

triple-bee
24th May 2009, 12:15
am assuming from your post you have a bike shop if you where me would you bring over my mint low milage speed triple worth about $12,500 nzd or sell here and buy there ???

really cant make my mind up and not sure if i just fancy a change

many thanks Neil

R1madness
24th May 2009, 17:01
its always a tough choice. I guess i would bring it if i loved it. But you should be able to replace it here for similar money (depending on what year it is). There are a few loop holes to jump thru re registering an import but if you have the deregistration documents and can prove ownership you will be fine.

BM-GS
24th May 2009, 17:20
From Chch, just head for the hills! There are some big ones out west with some bitchin' roads. If you have a few days, go north or south too. East even works, but every bugger rides those on sunny days, it seems.

If importing a bike: if you've owned it over a year, there's no GST to pay (pro-rata if owned >1yr). Before shipping, make sure the UK shipping co ship it as a separate consignment to your household goods, or hassle ensues. Photocopy all the docs you have and contact the NZ shippers to make sure it's all good about 2 weeks BEFORE the bike lands. And drain the gas tank. And take some gas when you pick up the bike...

triple-bee
26th May 2009, 02:38
thank u chaps :2thumbsup