PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Suzuki GN 250

Hiflyer
30th April 2009, 00:14
Ok first off I had the “pleasure” if you can call it that. . .of riding a GN250 for 2 days while my bike was having some work done and I couldn’t pick it up. Now I have heard that they are great learners’ bikes blah blah blah. I picked up the bike keeping an open mind, despite thinking they look like crap IMO and I dreaded hopping on.
I then found that yes they are extremely comfortable . . . . . at a standstill.

On acceleration I found that the torque curve would travel in a downward diagonal to the right instead of an upward diagonal. ... Damn 1cyl motor. It sounded like crap to, like a baby blowing a raspberry (maybe I’m used to my screaming demon without the baffles haha)
Upon acceleration I found the wind to be stupidly annoying and upon braking all my weight went into my ankles and wrists, I found it hard to concentrate on the road as Suzuki seem to have forgotten to dampen the mirrors cos they vibrated like there was no tomorrow at all revs. . .

But there was a few positives, I tried to stall it and it did but it was very hard to get it to do it, the GN seems to be content with a minimal amount of revs, for this reason it is a good bike to learn on (but only for a short period of time cos i myself would get bored and annoyed.)

I managed to get the front wheel maybe a foot and a half in the air but that’s nothing compared to what I have been told GN’s can do (banzai) I am still yet to get my Hyosung’s front wheel up more than 2cm. . . So credit to the GN

All in all I found the bike to be more unfriendly than it was friendly, sorry to everyone who loves them, I sure you have your reasons but for myself the GN is too slow to get me out of scary/bad situations, the position forces you to have to brace yourself and put strain on your body, as opposed to the sportier possie of the Hyosung GT250R.

Good points include inability to stall, comfy seat, reliability and availability of parts. And of course THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!

This is just my opinion, let me know if you have had better/different experiences.

Reido
30th April 2009, 10:53
you might want to remove reliability, its a 2006 rust bucket GN

Maha
30th April 2009, 18:11
Quite possibly correct on all counts Hiflyer..

Especailly this one ..

the GN seems to be content with a minimal amount of revs, for this reason it is a good bike to learn on (but only for a short period of time cos i myself would get bored and annoyed.)

So to be fair and keep things perspective, there are alot of GN's out there which says alot about them. They are good learner bike (for a short period) and the resale is pretty good too. You could pay upwards of $4-5K for an 80's/90's 250 sports bike. But if you are a first time biker, the GN is a very gentle and forgiving bike to start on.

Hiflyer
1st May 2009, 10:07
but even tho its a rustbucket its still going is my point, if a hyosung got that way itd probly rather roll over and die than actually work

allycatz
1st May 2009, 10:40
Hmm everytime I read reviews like this I get even more confused when lookin at a good beginners bike. GN250 was my original intention but got talked out of it by several people and bought a CBF250 (for son to ride as well). So it turned out fine for him but a bit to tall and heavy for me (5'4"). Needless to say it wasnt right and I sold it with the intention of getting something smaller but more oomph than a scooter, without being a scooter. So have been looking at cbr125 (ever so cute wee thing and just my size) and dare I mention it, a brand new gn125. So now I get told I'll need more power to get out of sticky situations and Ill get bored on smaller bike. Thing is Im halfway to being a geriatric and after cruizzin happily around on me scoot, just want to start slowly at my own pace. Arrgh so many decisions to make!

klingon
1st May 2009, 11:25
Hmm everytime I read reviews like this I get even more confused when lookin at a good beginners bike. GN250 was my original intention but got talked out of it by several people and bought a CBF250 (for son to ride as well). So it turned out fine for him but a bit to tall and heavy for me (5'4"). Needless to say it wasnt right and I sold it with the intention of getting something smaller but more oomph than a scooter, without being a scooter. So have been looking at cbr125 (ever so cute wee thing and just my size) and dare I mention it, a brand new gn125. So now I get told I'll need more power to get out of sticky situations and Ill get bored on smaller bike. Thing is Im halfway to being a geriatric and after cruizzin happily around on me scoot, just want to start slowly at my own pace. Arrgh so many decisions to make!

First, get a bike that you're physically comfortable on - height, riding position, etc.

Second, don't listen to the young males who say you'll get bored and need more power (more power gets them into way more sticky situations than it ever gets them out of!) As long as the bike can keep up with open road speeds, you'll be fine.

I have had my volty (GN250 in drag) since 2006. Sure, sometimes I would like a bigger bike to do longer trips on but the Volty is the perfect commuting bike. Even though I've been on my full license for some time now, I haven't felt that I need to upgrade because this bike does the job I want it to do. It's comfortable, reliable and economical.

I also know that when I come to sell it, it will have held its value.

So it's up to you where your priorities lie, but get a bike that suits you not some hypothetical other rider.

sil3nt
1st May 2009, 12:20
If the bike is right for you then it is a good bike. If you listen to everyone on here you will never find a bike!

Hiflyer
1st May 2009, 15:56
First, get a bike that you're physically comfortable on - height, riding position, etc.

Second, don't listen to the young males who say you'll get bored and need more power (more power gets them into way more sticky situations than it ever gets them out of!) As long as the bike can keep up with open road speeds, you'll be fine.

I have had my volty (GN250 in drag) since 2006. Sure, sometimes I would like a bigger bike to do longer trips on but the Volty is the perfect commuting bike. Even though I've been on my full license for some time now, I haven't felt that I need to upgrade because this bike does the job I want it to do. It's comfortable, reliable and economical.

I also know that when I come to sell it, it will have held its value.

So it's up to you where your priorities lie, but get a bike that suits you not some hypothetical other rider.

1stly thankyou for stereotyping me. . . it hasnt happened in a few hours so i was feeling a bit lost

2ndly its just my opinion, and yea of course more power can get you into stupid situations, but only if you drive like a nutter, if you dont then the power can be used to get out of a situation.

and if you only buy a bike for commuting then of course its gunna be fun for a commute.

and even though the bike may be fine at open road speeds some people might not want to dawdle, and open road speeds arent helpful at say a track day.

If the bike is right for you then it is a good bike. If you listen to everyone on here you will never find a bike!

exactly, i was just talking about what I thought of it, like it or lump it really

Hiflyer
1st May 2009, 16:01

dont listen to kiwibiker reviews if your looking for a bike haha WAAAAAY to many conflicting ideas haha. if you want some reviews look them up on google, cos they were probably done by the pros (im not one shock-horror haha)

oh i left this out of the review

"for people of short stature who want a bike for commuting only this bike would be great!"

the volty would be a much better choice if your looking for looks as well

:woohoo:

happy bike hunting

klingon
2nd May 2009, 11:16
...the volty would be a much better choice if your looking for looks as well...

Volty says "aaawww thanks! :o"

She also says she has a broader saddle than the GN so is very suitable for people with... erm... broad saddles ;) and apparently her 17" wheels also make cornering easier. [FROSTY just told me this recently and I guess he knows what he's talking about.]

I do find KB bike reviews quite interesting and often useful - if only because a suitable bike for a short "mature" woman riding around town is going to be different than one for a tall young guy who wants to blat around at speed. I haven't seen many professional reviews written by people in my demographic, so I'll keep reading KB reviews, and paying attention to the ones that fit my requirements.

xwhatsit
2nd May 2009, 11:33
So now I get told I'll need more power to get out of sticky situations and Ill get bored on smaller bike.
Yeah, both of those things are a crock of shit. I'd be interested to know about these `sticky situations' that power supposedly gets you out of -- an impatient pass where you didn't leave enough room, perhaps?

You don't need power to get you out of `sticky situations'.

I'd also challenge the idea that you might get bored on a smaller bike. Some people might, but I certainly haven't. It'll be a long while (as a beginner with bikes) before you'll be comfortable enough to be bored, and if you are bored, it's because you're not seeking out the right sort of fun roads. On a small bike twisty tight roads are far more enjoyable than they are on a big bike.

Sounds like a GN250 would be an excellent choice for you -- especially with the low seat-height. Sounds like you share very little in your idea of biking with the original poster; doing wheelies and sounding `cool' with a straight exhaust don't seem to be on your list.

Bikernereid
2nd May 2009, 12:11

Will let you know as I pick up my GN250 today. I chose it cos I have short legs and it felt safer to me having that balance than being on bikes where I can just about tiptoe. I have been watching trademe and there have been a lot of GNs sold recently so they 'can't be that bad'. I also like the comfort aspect which after being pillion on a CBR600RR will be such a refreshing change. I guess bikes are like so many things in life they are a matter of personal prefernce and whilst other peoploe giving you thier take on things may give some insight the best way to find out what works for you is to give it ia go. Maybe hire a bike for a day to see how it feels.

Hiflyer
2nd May 2009, 13:56
Yeah, both of those things are a crock of shit. I'd be interested to know about these `sticky situations' that power supposedly gets you out of -- an impatient pass where you didn't leave enough room, perhaps?

na when you get boxed in by someone directly behind you on the motorway and the person next to you didnt check their blindspot etc

True a stebel horn would fix the above situation haha

I'd also challenge the idea that you might get bored on a smaller bike. Some people might, but I certainly haven't. It'll be a long while (as a beginner with bikes) before you'll be comfortable enough to be bored, and if you are bored, it's because you're not seeking out the right sort of fun roads. On a small bike twisty tight roads are far more enjoyable than they are on a big bike.

Sounds like a GN250 would be an excellent choice for you -- especially with the low seat-height. Sounds like you share very little in your idea of biking with the original poster; doing wheelies and sounding `cool' with a straight exhaust don't seem to be on your list.

everyone has different things they like about biking but im not talking about getting a huge bike, i just mean i feel that a GN isnt my cup of tea, where as otherfour stroke 250cc bikes are my cup of dilmah

whats wrong with wheelies anyway haha ;)

NighthawkNZ
2nd May 2009, 15:05

Best advice I have seen on here in a long time...

and even though the bike may be fine at open road speeds some people might not want to dawdle, and open road speeds arent helpful at say a track day.

Well since we are talking about the GN... you wouldn't buy it for the track now would you... but the GN is a great bike to learn on (I can not comment on later models) and is designed as a commuter, and lite cruiser that will take you for short touring trips as well... heck last year I saw a GN loaded and she was touring all of NZ on it... good on her... and she was having a blast...

More power shmower... not everone likes to go around every where at a million miles per hour either... especially those that are touring since you are wanting to see and do things on the way...or those that are communting

Getting bored... hmmm then you are simply doing it wrong...

Hiflyer
2nd May 2009, 15:15
seems like people dont like what i think of GNs haha owell it was to be expected

its Kiwibiker!

Like i said, it's not my cup of tea,

allycatz
2nd May 2009, 18:08
Thanks for the advice peoples. I figure if I treat intersections with the same respect as I do on the scooter it can't all be bad. Im in no hurry to get on the highway yet anyways

NOWOOL
6th May 2009, 15:43
The 250GN's are great little bikes. Some say they are slow but they are still faster than economy cars. Any 250 bike you buy is going to be a compromise. My advice would be get something used and cheap and reliable until you get your full licence. Afterall, the only people who will think a flash 250 is cool is non-riders and other 250 riders.
Put in your learning time on a bike you won't be afraid to drop at a stoplight.

ralph4alice
7th May 2009, 22:28
I had a 1984 GN250 for about 3 years (mid-1994 onwards). I really liked it, (in spite of some comments about "lawnmower" LOL):

Pros:

- reliable! Didn't miss a beat for me, and started EVERY time (this one would have been Japanese-made, cannot comment about the more recent Chinese-built ones)

- nice solid low-down torque

- comfortable seating position

- really nice city handling: easy and simple to turn, feels nice and stable.

Cons:

- becomes a bit strained around 90kph, and getting close to redline. I wouldn't want to go on long tours with it. Might be OK to get a higher-geared sprockets - ie: to give lower revs at the same road speed (assuming they're available for the GN).

Regarding handling: a couple of other bikes I rode during that time were the 'usual' type (where you lean right over the petrol tank). I found the low-speed steering a bit awkward compared to the GN, but it would have been just what you want at highway speeds. It's just a matter of what you need, as always.

Volty says "aaawww thanks! :o"

I do find KB bike reviews quite interesting and often useful
I haven't seen many professional reviews written by people in my demographic, so I'll keep reading KB reviews, and paying attention to the ones that fit my requirements.

This is a really good point. While the KB reviews might be a bit random, their major strength lies in that the writer is another person probably just like you - rather than, say, a professional magazine journalist writing for a living. This isn't devaluing a magazine review, but IMHO a fellow motorbiker is generally going to come up with a more relevant piece.

I reckon just read all the reviews, pick out the relevant bits and ignore the rest. What I'd do is look for any particular brands/models that are known to be troublesome (using the whole 'net, not just KB), and cross 'em off your list. After that it's simple, just buy what you like! Who gives a rats if others don't like it?

... Well since we are talking about the GN... you wouldn't buy it for the track now would you...

No, I wouldn't! No surprise there.

... I also like the comfort aspect which after being pillion on a CBR600RR will be such a refreshing change. I guess bikes are like so many things in life they are a matter of personal prefernce
Maybe hire a bike for a day to see how it feels.

Second that.

More power shmower... not everone likes to go around every where at a million miles per hour either... especially those that are touring since you are wanting to see and do things on the way...or those that are communting

Second that too.

I never found the power a problem; in fact, I find the big fat dollops of torque much more satisfying than having to wind up the RPM to some stratospheric speed to get into the power band (okay, I've only ever gone on 250s and a 400, perhaps I should try something bigger sometime :-). But sure, it wouldn't be as exciting as some mad-arse crotch-rocket.

Getting bored... hmmm then you are simply doing it wrong...

Yup. Simple solution: go buy another bike! Or take up skydiving or something.

Squiggles
7th May 2009, 22:37
They are perfect commuters. Not built for performance, but very good at what they do. Might have to write a review on my ones :yes:

carver
8th May 2009, 19:50
seems like people dont like what i think of GNs haha owell it was to be expected

its Kiwibiker!

at least your honest dude!

MDR2
8th May 2009, 22:47
So now I get told I'll need more power to get out of sticky situations and Ill get bored on smaller bike.

You don't need a bike with horsepower to get you out of sticky situations, you just need a brain between the ears to keep you out of them.

and it's not what you ride, it's how you ride that makes the journey fun!

my thoughts anyhow.

davebullet
8th May 2009, 22:54
I'd be more worried about the build quality of a chinese made GN250.

retro asian
8th May 2009, 23:27

its Kiwibiker!

After riding a GN for a day, getting back on the VL250 was like heaven!
Nothing like a ride on a GN to help you appreciate your non-GN....

But the first bike I ever rode was a GN, and that was pretty exciting at the time.

crash harry
9th May 2009, 00:14

its Kiwibiker!

I'm right with you dude.
A lot of KBers have this weird nostalgia thing for GNs because it was their first bike. Or they think that ubiquitous = good or something.
Meanwhile I rode my first GN when I was test riding 250s for a friend of mine. Without doubt, the worst bike I have ever ridden. My impressions were:

Uncomfortable
Gutless
Ill-Handling
Not fun

That last item is the biggest thing. All the other < 250cc bikes I test rode were fun in some way. The GN was just an ordeal. FWIW, she felt the same way, and she's not a nutter sport biker like me.

MDR2
9th May 2009, 09:41
Uncomfortable
Gutless
Ill-Handling
Not fun

1) Perhaps you were the wrong size for it.

2) Learner don't need litre bike horsepower (gotta crawl before you learn to walk kinda deal

3)It's not a bike that encourages high speed corner entry or is a bike hardly set up for that kinda stuff... I can tell that just by looking at it let alone getting on one. It's just a inner city pootler and i would class it in the predictable handling class

4) differint strokes for differint folks

Its a naff bike but its great for leaners to dip their toes in the water if you catch my drift.

Im not completely ignoring what you have to say, but seeing what you ride you kinda have to take what you've said with a pinch of salt :D coming from an R1 and reviewing a GN is kind of a crack up.

I guess if your looking to buy a bike you should

Irontusk
10th May 2009, 12:46
Ok I too just test rode a GN250 for a friend.. what a fucking horrible bike :2thumbsup It was VERY light and easy to manouvre out of the particularly overcrowded driveway, I'll give it that, and the feel of the controls didn't bother me, but the bit on the shifter that you get your toes around did seem a little small.

But seriously, what the fuck is going on with those handlebars? Way too narrow for being angled in so much, I could feel the stress in my wrists in less than a minute.

Overall it made me VERY happy that I spent the money on buying a new VL250 instead, it felt soooo good to get back on my own bike!

An ok bike if you just want to learn what controls what on a bike, and then sell it immediately after, I'd really not want to be stuck on one for 2 years waiting to get my full class 6.. would this be why both him and his flat mate who also has a GN250 (and what a surprise that he's selling his too..) only ride about once a month?

crash harry
10th May 2009, 13:34
1)
Its a naff bike but its great for leaners to dip their toes in the water if you catch my drift.

Im not completely ignoring what you have to say, but seeing what you ride you kinda have to take what you've said with a pinch of salt :D coming from an R1 and reviewing a GN is kind of a crack up.

I guess if your looking to buy a bike you should

Yeah - but I didn't ALWAYS ride an R1 did I? I've ridden a lot of bikes, and I relly enjoy a lot of the smaller ones too - FXR150 would have to be one of my favourite little bikes. They make me grin from ear to ear the entire time I'm riding them. GN, not at all.

The thing with the GN is that, IMO, just about all the comparable learner bikes are better. SR250, FXR150, RGV150, VT250, GSX250, whatever. None of them have the scary-bad handling or total lack of fun that the GN does. Jeez, even the old X7 that my dad used to have was more confidence inspiring.

And dude, your profile pic shows an RG150 - so I'm going to assume that you also know that not all cheap learner-legal bikes are crap - RG's are probably the most fun of them all! At least 1000 times better than a bloody GN!

crash harry
10th May 2009, 13:35
would this be why both him and his flat mate who also has a GN250 (and what a surprise that he's selling his too..) only ride about once a month?

I reckon you could be onto something there, me old son...

MDR2
10th May 2009, 19:50
And dude, your profile pic shows an RG150 - so I'm going to assume that you also know that not all cheap learner-legal bikes are crap - RG's are probably the most fun of them all! At least 1000 times better than a bloody GN!

I like sport bikes, not crusiers. If I had been after a no thrills commuter that just got me from a to b cheaply, I would have looked at a GN or a Tu or something along those lines....

they serve a purpose, how they do it is down to the individual.

people like you and me... we get our kicks in other ways ;)

Choco
10th May 2009, 20:14
I managed to get the front wheel maybe a foot and a half in the air but that’s nothing compared to what I have been told GN’s can do (banzai)

Banzai? Badger8 was the GN wheelie master :2thumbsup

It's a great bike to learn on (as i did), but there does come a stage where you may want a more comfortable position/ power/ room/ speed/ handling/ brakes etc, and then you can upgrade to a bike which takes more skill to ride :)

But as for a first time rider they're great bulletproof little bikes!

Hiflyer
10th May 2009, 20:19
Banzai? Badger8 was the GN wheelie master :2thumbsup

It's a great bike to learn on (as i did), but there does come a stage where you may want a more comfortable position/ power/ room/ speed/ handling/ brakes etc, and then you can upgrade to a bike which takes more skill to ride :)

But as for a first time rider they're great bulletproof little bikes!

So you dont think itd be better to learn on a slightly more difficult bike to ride on?

thats my own personal view anyway, id rather do it the hard way.

like playing Halo on legendary for the 1st time. . . that sucked

Choco
10th May 2009, 20:34
So you dont think itd be better to learn on a slightly more difficult bike to ride on?

thats my own personal view anyway, id rather do it the hard way.

like playing Halo on legendary for the 1st time. . . that sucked

The Gn's fairly simple for a new rider to get their head around; shows what gear your in, not enough power to spin your back tyre, drops without any serious damage and so on. It teaches you the basics before chucking in better performing parts.

The main thing my Gn taught me was how to wait for a good gap and to pre-plan overtaking maneuvers which a more powerful bike might not. :oi-grr:

The GN is a good Learner bike - get the basics down on it and then look to upgrade to something a bit more expensive and with a few more cylinders.

Halo on legendary is somewhat insane (im a PC geek and suck with controllers), but the final stage of Halo3 on legendary with a mate is stupidly good fun :D

allycatz
10th May 2009, 20:44
I tried the "hard way" on a cbf250 after being advised not to buy the gn...was too tall for me and as I was suffering from stuffed shoulder at the time....too heavy....one stuffed ankle later it took me 4 months to get on a scooter let alone another bike....I just want to learn in baby steps

monkeymcbean
10th May 2009, 21:08

Ha, my first bike was a Suzuki tu 250 did about 7000kms in my learners year on it, took it everywhere, lots of dirts roads with some off road biker mates, that was interesting certainly got youst to the rear wheel moving round, tarmac was mostly secondary roads as i felt more comfortable on these with less traffic, great for building up confidence.
'sticky situations' yep but didn't need power to get me out of them!
I even got around with full leathers on this baby, it was so cool, on a good day with the wind behind me i could get up to 100kms!

hayd3n
10th May 2009, 21:36
im riding the mighty gn 250 at the moment ,my bikes getting the 2nd gear fix :<
:crybaby:,
its straight to work and home ,bad brakes, bad tyres, and i keep scraping the pegs on corners, lol ,but it sure beats walking

Mystic13
11th May 2009, 10:20
I think some of you are being a bit harsh on the GN250. My wife has finally learnt and being all of 5 feet in her winter socks and wanting a more tourer position the GN250 was it.

Last weekend I went for a blast on the GN with my 10 year old son. It went down the motorway well.

Overall my impressions of the GN250 are;

- well balanced
- easy to ride
- it's a single and performs pretty well for one.
- the digital gear display is a nice touch for learners, especially in the early stages of learning and changing down for lights.

Overall a great bike to ride around on. In the last 6 months I rode a GPX(Z?) 250 from New Plymouth to Auckland. I would happily ride a GN250 the same route for delivery purposes. (maybe happily isn't the word but...)

When you switch bikes you have to change your riding style, the way you brake, ride corners, and sit.

I never had a problem with achy wrists within seconds of grabbing the bars. I do think the turned in position is a bit odd but they're comfortable once you figure it out.

The brakes aren't the greatest but my other bike has brembo's that make it stop on a dime. You have to give the GN250's a real good squeeze.

A mate's Kawasaki VN1600 Cruiser has brakes that are as bad if not worse. I took his laz-y-boy kawasaki for a run because I'd never riden one got to the corner and hit the brakes and then there was a gradual slowing. Coming off a sport bike it was a real shocker.

A GN250 is $2500, you can get a much better bike by spending twice as much.

Personally I think the GN250 is a easy to ride, capable, reliable and bullet proof learner bike.

If you were 6 foot plus I would probably discourage the GN250.

All this and I weigh 100kg. I have no idea what my son weighs but the GN250 went fine.

The GN250 is a cruiser and not a sport bike.

I kind of think if you jump off a r1 and onto a 1000 cruiser you'd notice the same differences listed in previous posts. Brakes not as good, acceleration not as good, handling not as good and that would be true. They're two different bikes. That doesn't make the cruiser a lemon.

hayd3n
11th May 2009, 16:44
well the brakes on this particular gn are very touchy, i just touch em and they lock up and not good on wet days!!

Irontusk
11th May 2009, 19:35
- the digital gear display is a nice touch for learners, especially in the early stages of learning and changing down for lights.

All this and I weigh 100kg. I have no idea what my son weighs but the GN250 went fine.

The GN250 is a cruiser and not a sport bike.

Next you will tell me I need a tacho ;) No trouble learning without one, it's good not to rely on these things, eyes on the road people..

I'm not even 65kg and it sure struggled to get me up hills (yeah I know no 250 is going to do terribly well up hill)

Take that back, there is a difference between a commuter and a cruiser.

Bonez
11th May 2009, 20:42
I'd be more worried about the build quality of a chinese made GN250.Guy at works done over 23,000kms on his 2006 "rustbucket" only rust I can see on it is the headers. But it's been out in all weather for 3 years so it's to be expected. Only issues he's had was rect/reg, chain and muffler plate reriveted.

Yamaha Scorpians are a bloody good learners bike too.

Mystic13
12th May 2009, 22:52
I'm not even 65kg and it sure struggled to get me up hills (yeah I know no 250 is going to do terribly well up hill)

You're kidding right. It struggled to get a 65kg you up the lack of hills in Aucks.

I think the GN may not be in good order or your expectations were too high.

As for the Scorpion - I thought the red Scorpion with black wheels looks pretty good.

We took the Scorpion for a run when choosing a bike for my wife and the GN250 won the toss. The extra cost of the Scorpion and the skinny tyres were the two negatives.

Sure you can buy a kawasaki that goes like a rocket for 6-7g's. Or you can get the GN and step up when you've learned. Some people don't know if it's really them and the GN250 is a good dip in the water.

But again these bikes are built for a purpose and do the job well.

The seat on the GPZ, Ninja, or Hyosung were all too tall for my wife. She also didn't like the lean forward position. Personally I like the bike like that.

Clearly different people do have different taste but nothing to me suggests the GN250 deserved bagging for being lower cost etc.

klingon
15th May 2009, 12:06
I reckon if you treated any bike the way most people seem to treat their GNs, they would fail to perform.

I challenge you to buy any bike, leave it out in the rain, never change the oil, never lube the chain, let the tyres gradually go flat, then after a couple of years let some people from here take it out for a test ride. Of course they're going to say it's a heap of junk!

Oh and don't forget to let 15 of your closest friends learn to ride on it as well - drop it a few times, forget to pull in the clutch before you change gear, stall it on every single hill start for the first six months, and for the next six months thrash it to within an inch of its life "to see how fast it will go."

It's a miracle any bike survives that kind of treatment, let alone continues to function and can still get up to motorway speeds!

NOWOOL
22nd June 2009, 02:16
you might want to remove reliability, its a 2006 rust bucket GN

the 06's are just as reliable as the 80's ones...the only difference will the the tendency to take on corrosion on the forks and side plates. More than I can say for 250 ninjas.......buy a new bike at 20,000 k's....meanwhile the GN will still be running fine.

Reido
22nd June 2009, 10:15
the 06's are just as reliable as the 80's ones...the only difference will the the tendency to take on corrosion on the forks and side plates. More than I can say for 250 ninjas.......buy a new bike at 20,000 k's....meanwhile the GN will still be running fine.

mines at 20,000 kms and going fine, besides a chain that needs attending too >_<

i rode my mates GN (either 2005 or 2006),
the handling was terrible (i'll conceed that the seating and bars are quite different to my bike so could have been because i was not used to it)
clutch was very heavy and stiff, and the breaks weren't very responsive.
though his wasnt rusted at all,

so my opinion on the bike, reliable engine, hate everything else (besides maybe the weight)

huff3r
23rd September 2009, 09:45
My clutch seems fine, very light and all that...

But the best bit about my GN250 is that in the 3ish years i've owned it, it has appreciated in value.

Its a 2004, and is worth more now than it was when i bought it. So if i do sell it (actually it blongs to dad lol) i'll be making money, not losing out.

I havent looked much at other 250s, but this impressed me a lot. And the other thing is... why not start on a GN if you're not going to lose any money on it? Might even save you some money (1st fall, no fairings to replace... and maybe you'll learn not to fall again, as opposed to 1st fall costing 100s)

unrealone
23rd September 2009, 13:44
My clutch seems fine, very light and all that...

But the best bit about my GN250 is that in the 3ish years i've owned it, it has appreciated in value.

Its a 2004, and is worth more now than it was when i bought it. So if i do sell it (actually it blongs to dad lol) i'll be making money, not losing out.

I havent looked much at other 250s, but this impressed me a lot. And the other thing is... why not start on a GN if you're not going to lose any money on it? Might even save you some money (1st fall, no fairings to replace... and maybe you'll learn not to fall again, as opposed to 1st fall costing 100s)

Please elaborate how yours has appreciated in value?

huff3r
23rd September 2009, 15:07
I can't prove this, but just looking at what i bought it for, and how much they are selling for at the moment, they seem to be selling for over $500 more than what i paid..

Maybe i just got mine for a steal?

dubman59
11th February 2016, 19:43
Hi there , just been for a run over the hill in CH CH to Lyttelton on the GN250 which i do quite a bit. But tonight when going down a steep hill she started smoking quite bad for some reason. All good going back up the hill and on the flat. i did oil change week or so ago. i put 20/40 in it instead of 10/40. Could this be the problem. Cheers Steve.

flashg
11th February 2016, 20:30
20/40 is heavier when cold, they are both the same when up to temperature.
The smoke might be from oil getting past the valve guide seals on a closed throttle, not usually a problem but keep an eye on your oil level. A small amount of oil getting past the seals can make plenty of smoke.

dubman59
12th February 2016, 16:22
Thanks for that ,:)