PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Gloves

Warr
13th March 2005, 16:02
A couple of years ago in mid winter one cold biking day I was desperate to get something warmer for the hands. So enter m/bike shop and part with $$$$'s.
So ended up with these ... Orina, Nibo, Thinsulate, wait more meaningless names on them....Motran, Kevlar.
Well they have been ok, like not amazing..
So problem is when it does rain, hands seem to stay dry but gloves get steadly heavier. Which seems to indicate that water is getting through. .. Which I think is undesirable.
Has anyone any suggestion on what would be good to waterproof them. ??

curious george
13th March 2005, 17:38
I have used 'nicwax', dubbin, and 'snow seal' with a fair ammount of success.
Not totally waterproof, but pretty good in a shower.
Only Latex surgical gloves beat that...!

saiko
13th March 2005, 17:40
Sno seal works for me.

Warr
13th March 2005, 22:35
Sno seal works for me.
Sno seal sounds a go .. where do you buy it from ??

Holy Roller
14th March 2005, 09:36
I've coated mine with spray on silicon several coats but what do you know it hasn't been really wet to see how they hold out. The slight spits that there has been they seem to repel the water but I want a decent downpour to really test them.
The other option is to get a pair of over gloves from Visual Intrigue, mitten like things with the index finger seperate from the others.

F5 Dave
14th March 2005, 11:57
I’ve given up believing in waterproof gloves. What I do believe in is some rather large Maier Enduro handguards which I fitted on my GS11 & now my RF.

Made a couple of brackets for the bar extensions from exhaust clamps & a simple bend piece of steel for the front. Look a bit silly, but shield the hands from water & wind chill.

vifferman
14th March 2005, 12:09
Sno seal sounds a go .. where do you buy it from ??
If the bike shops in Hamilton don't have it, try the ski/outdoor sports places (R&R Sport here sells it).

Lou Girardin
14th March 2005, 12:10
All 'waterproof' gloves absorb water, it's the liner that stops your hands getting wet.
Nikwax do a specific glove proofing product @ $16.71, it's designed to maintain a grippy surface. Suits leather and textile.