PDA

View Full Version : Solex Moped

Voltaire
2nd May 2009, 13:10
I have had a 'do up' Solex moped hanging from the rafters for some years.
It needed at least rings, seals and gaskets to make it go.
They are back in production and I have ordered parts for it.
soooooo, how many moped owners are there out there.... I'm guessing quite a few. Tell us about your mopeds!!!!
I have three: A Puch Maxi....goes but needs new transmission bearings
A Gilera Mosquito : in bits ...crank bearing pitted.....
A Solex 2200: engine apart but hopefully a runner soon.

anone got a copy of a solex manual they could lend/scan for me?
there was a shop in ChCh that did bits....do they still do them, I could do with new tyres.

There are some nice ones on TM at the moment, I like the Ducati, Puch and Zundapp....

geoffm
2nd May 2009, 22:26
I have a couple - haven't run for years. Defintely... different.
There is a link to solexes on the manuals sticky, or google it.
The company in Christchurch was the Cycle Trading Co, but they don't seem to exist under that name at present.

Voltaire
3rd May 2009, 16:02
I have a couple - haven't run for years. Defintely... different.
There is a link to solexes on the manuals sticky, or google it.
The company in Christchurch was the Cycle Trading Co, but they don't seem to exist under that name at present.

thanks for the link, very helpful. Velo Cruz owner has sent me local club newletters as well.
Do you know anything about Gareli Mosquito engines?
cheers

geoffm
3rd May 2009, 19:32
thanks for the link, very helpful. Velo Cruz owner has sent me local club newletters as well.
Do you know anything about Gareli Mosquito engines?
cheers

I know nothing about Gareli, but Google brings up some hits
Seen these?
http://cyclemaster.wordpress.com/page-14-the-mosquito/
http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6
or this
http://cyclemaster.wordpress.com/page-14-the-mosquito/

You could also look around the mopedarmy.org forums

Voltaire
4th May 2009, 19:31
Heres a pic of the Solex hanging from the rafters...where its been for years.
Plan is to get it running first, just the thing to whiz up to Mt Eden on to get the Crossiants with on a Sunday.
Just read an article on an Aussie who rode his 2000 miles from WA to Dubbo, then packed the engine in hand luggage with his 'bicycle' and flew back.
Anyone got any parts they want to part with? PM me.

Max Headroom
4th May 2009, 20:33
The widowmaker looks safe where it is. Any attempt to resurrect it can only end in tears . . . .

Voltaire
4th May 2009, 20:59
The widowmaker looks safe where it is. Any attempt to resurrect it can only end in tears . . . .

c'mon....just coz your parting out your much loved NZETA collection to fund wifes bucket racer.....:laugh:

anyways...I might need a pit bike to get the chips and hot dogs with.
:scooter:

agent75
4th May 2009, 22:53
Cycle traders very definitely still exsist. they're on Manchester st next to the harley shop (eric wood??) I've got a solex 5000 (i think you move the decimal place over a wee bit to get the cc rating) and he still has the odd part. mines a goer... got it for $20 19 years ago. just gave it a rebuild. bit of a laugh to ride for about thirty seconds then i can always think of something i'd rather be doing..... but it looks cool;)

Max Headroom
5th May 2009, 08:10
c'mon....just coz your parting out your much loved NZETA collection to fund wifes bucket racer.....:laugh:

anyways...I might need a pit bike to get the chips and hot dogs with.
:scooter:

:no: no good can come from this . . . .

P.S. my happy purchasers arrived last night to collect their respective treasures :yes:

and my shed is looking MUCH better :woohoo:

Voltaire
5th May 2009, 16:27
[QUOTE=Max Headroom;1129199518]:no: no good can come from this . . . .

QUOTE]

Already planning " Coast to Coast Run"......Otahuhu to Mission Bay....still in the early stages, these events require a lot a planning.:violin:

Max Headroom
5th May 2009, 18:22
Already planning " Coast to Coast Run"......Otahuhu to Mission Bay....still in the early stages, these events require a lot a planning.:violin:

Ahh, so you've booked a spare week? :whistle:

Voltaire
13th May 2009, 07:47
box of bits arrived and within a matter of hours the motor assembly was started.
new rings ( yes thats not a typo...3) , main bearings, shaft seal and gaskets.
discovered suction operated pump has a non return valve consisting of two plastic shuttles and two glass ball.....one missing in this instance.
Usual story, one small part stops progress....
So its back on the shelf for the time and on with the Kombi Ute project.

Max Headroom
13th May 2009, 09:19
I guess that's the real beauty of mopeds. They develop our patience and improve our fitness . . . .

Dodgyiti
13th May 2009, 12:31

QUOTE=Max Headroom;:no: no good can come from this . . . .

Some good advice so far Mr Voltaire, heed it you sick bastard! Now if you have time on your hands, as from these posts you do- time to big bore and NOS the R50 eh? Then bring it over for a flamin'
It can be my first beige flame job

Voltaire
13th May 2009, 15:11
QUOTE=Max Headroom;:no: no good can come from this . . . .

Some good advice so far Mr Voltaire, heed it you sick bastard! Now if you have time on your hands, as from these posts you do- time to big bore and NOS the R50 eh? Then bring it over for a flamin'
It can be my first beige flame job

big bore the/5.....hmmmm, now thats a thought....how bout 900cc, lightened flywheel , 5 speed box, 336 cam and a set of Dells.....hmmmmmm.
The Solex I do in front of the tele watching Top Gear!!

Max Headroom
13th May 2009, 15:32
big bore the/5.....hmmmm, now thats a thought....how bout 900cc, lightened flywheel , 5 speed box, 336 cam and a set of Dells.....hmmmmmm.

Sounds like the perfect Duck hunter :clap:

and we already have the technology :devil2:

In fact, we could have that conversion done before you could get from Otahuhu to Mission Bay on that deathtrap Solex. . . .

Voltaire
13th May 2009, 15:45
BMW....shafting riders for over 80 years...:buggerd:

caseye
13th May 2009, 17:28
Sounds to me like you guys are going backwards FAST! Max and Dodgyiti are right, " no good will come of it" hang the bloody thing back up and look at it occassionally.LOL let us know when the coast to coast is on, IO'll bring the tent for the refreshments.