PDA

View Full Version : lndicators dead

t3mp0r4ry nzr
2nd May 2009, 13:31
Just finishing off the project bike and have found that the indicators will flash once and stay on. Also the rear light does not illuminate when the lights on but will illuminate when the brakes are applied. I have inspected the rear light bulbs and all looks good.

The indicators look like they are stock. All other electrics are good.

Any help appreciated. Have a multimeter here but dont know how to use it, so if anyone could tell me where to start, that would be awesome.

Cheers

cs363
2nd May 2009, 13:49
Check the bulbs are the same wattage (and voltage!) as each other and the same as recommended by the flasher unit (they will usually have something printed on the unit like 4x21w or similar)

Regarding the rear light - are both filaments in the bulb ok? sounds like the tail light filament has gone, either that or you have a wiring/connection issue for the tail light seeing as the brake light is working.

CookMySock
2nd May 2009, 14:06
Sounds like the flasher unit is stuffed. Get a new one from Repco.

Steve

t3mp0r4ry nzr
2nd May 2009, 14:45
cheers guys,
I had another real good look at it and got the hang of using the multimeter. Found that rear park filaments are stuffed and I suspect that the flasher unit is poked. The indicator I tested gets one 12v pass through it (the blinkers will flash once and stay on). So my hypothesis is that the I need a new flasher unit?? correct?

It just seemed weird that both the problems occuring at once, thinking they may be linked. I shouldnt be surprised though, this bike WAS a REAL basketcase!! haha

CookMySock
2nd May 2009, 15:54
So my hypothesis is that the I need a new flasher unit?? correct?Nah, I think the flasher is fucked. You need a new flasher.

Steve

t3mp0r4ry nzr
2nd May 2009, 16:16
Nah, I think the flasher is fucked. You need a new flasher.

Steve

Sorry Steve, I meant flasher. Yup, popped a new Repco special in and all go! Thanks for the help!