PDA

View Full Version : read

georgedubyabush
7th October 2003, 22:25
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't
mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng
the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

twistymover
8th October 2003, 01:24
Ah...well, I understood you...just!

Liv, Norway
8th October 2003, 02:56
I got it!

I got it!:) :) :)

And I don't speak english that much!

:D I must be a wery intelligent person!:D

:beer: I deserve a beer now.

Liv.

MikeL
8th October 2003, 07:29
Intriguing.
Not just because it's unexpected, but because it seems to support the "whole word" reading method that some of us involved in education believe is the cause of widespread reading problems in young people today. The old fashioned phonetic approach was thrown out of primary schools twenty or more years ago. This research goes counter to what my intuition tells me.

But wait... I think there's a better explanation:
Most of us have had to put up with poor spelling in others for so long that our brains have reprogrammed themselves automatically to adjust.
:p

georgedubyabush
8th October 2003, 09:49
Agreed about the reading difficulties. My Girlfriend teaches at a local high school which is decial 10 (lowest possible rating). I've seen some of the work produced by kids at a supposed 'senior' level.:gob:

They are all very proficient in the language of tagging though. Something I cannot possibly read.

Motu
8th October 2003, 11:36
I'm with you on the whole word/phonetics Mike - what it shows I think is that we build up a libary of whole words that we use to read text....but chuck in an unknown word and we are back to phonetics to break it down,work out pronuciation and meaning.Phonetics is basic to understanding the written word.

PZR
8th October 2003, 11:37
I found that easier to read than some of the post replies I have seen on here by some who will remain nameless :Oops:
Maybe they need to learn that first letter last letter thing (which I think is rather clever really)
Mind you we all need saving from text message butchery of the english language. :angry2:

georgedubyabush
8th October 2003, 12:49
text messages and net speak.

Dont know why but it really bugs me when someone says "dub dub dub" instead of www. I guess because my parents were anal on pronounciation.

Languages develop and all, but I hope 'doubleyou' doesn't get officially shortened to 'dub' in my lifetime.

georgedubyabush
8th October 2003, 12:51
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
text messages and net speak.

Dont know why but it really bugs me when someone says "dub dub dub" instead of www. I guess because my parents were anal on pronounciation.

Languages develop and all, but I hope 'doubleyou' doesn't get officially shortened to 'dub' in my lifetime.

Ha! didnt expect that to autolink

Sharkey
8th October 2003, 13:25
Ha! didnt expect that to autolink

Y? Clrly u r not up 2 da play on tchnlgy.

Haha.

I also hate the shortening of and mucking up of the written word. Laziness I reckon.

MikeL
8th October 2003, 14:15
Sorry guys but linguistic change is inevitable and it's futile to hold out against it using pointless arguments about clarity, logic, tradition or whatever.

How do you pronounce "ZXR" - do you say "zed...?". Ask anyone under the age of 15 - I guarantee that unless they've been hanging around bikes they'll say "zee". Blame American films/television.

And also note the "they" in the above sentence: traditional usage calls for "he" (because it's singular). Political correctness here has done its work...

:argh:

bikerboy
8th October 2003, 15:54
Pedants will notice, that the "they" Mike refered to being "he", should really have been "one":D

And, while it may be futile to rail against the current trends, it is nice to know how things should be when they are wrong.:beer:

Lou Girardin
9th October 2003, 07:44
Ridicule is good antidote to text/Yank speak.
The trouble is, that even the LTSA do it. Like that pathetic ad, in which the kid calls the Mum, Mom. Still, they've got a Canadian mouthpiece, can't expect any better.
Lou

jrandom
9th October 2003, 11:42
Dont know why but it really bugs me when someone says "dub dub dub"

Or 'dubya'. 'Dubya' really pisses me off. Especially when people use it in their online handles. Bastard. I hate you.

georgedubyabush
9th October 2003, 12:42
Originally posted by jrandom
Or 'dubya'. 'Dubya' really pisses me off. Especially when people use it in their online handles. Bastard. I hate you.

Yes, that's why I use it.

Ive used it for pretty much anything online since he ran for office (did I say ran? I meant cheated his way in). It's pretty stupid now, but remembering more than one login/password combination is a bit beyond my capabilities. People probably think I'm a supporter:o Or even worse, that my real name is G e o r g e :o:o

jrandom
9th October 2003, 15:23
It's pretty stupid now, but remembering more than one login/password combination is a bit beyond my capabilities.

Abbreviate it to gdb and the geek types will think you're l33t. Or you could spell it 'guub' and let 'em go figure...

jrandom
9th October 2003, 15:25
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy...

And that's damn spooky. You're right, I could read that at pretty much normal speed.

(Twilight Zone music...)

avgas
30th December 2004, 20:42
Sorry guys but linguistic change is inevitable and it's futile to hold out against it using pointless arguments about clarity, logic, tradition or whatever.
How do you pronounce "ZXR" - do you say "zed...?". Ask anyone under the age of 15 - I guarantee that unless they've been hanging around bikes they'll say "zee". Blame American films/television.
And also note the "they" in the above sentence: traditional usage calls for "he" (because it's singular). Political correctness here has done its work...
:argh:
Zeds dead baby....wot was that off.

I actually found that thing at the bottom really easy to read, but thats cos i suffer ambidextris leftisim, which makes me slightly dislexic.
(I just typed that sentences 5 times to get it right)

Antallica
30th December 2004, 20:45
Zeds dead baby....wot was that off.

Pulp Fiction.

Yokai
30th December 2004, 20:55
Pedants will notice, that the "they" Mike refered to being "he", should really have been "one":D

And, while it may be futile to rail against the current trends, it is nice to know how things should be when they are wrong.:beer:

Precisians will notice that the "one" that bikerboy suggested should have replaced the "he" to which Mike referred is only used when including one's self in the set of people being referenced.
Others will notice that "one's self" in the above sentence may be written "oneself" and that the word "refered" (sic) in bikerboy's post should be spelt with a double "r".

So if a person is asked to read "ZXR" then he is likely to use the pronunciation "zee ex ar"? Wow. I hadn't realised that palatalisation was so rife in New Zealand.

re: word reading. University of Cambridge has also pointed out that patterns of vowels have a bearing. If the word remains substantially unchanged in its pattern, then it remains easy to read. If, however, the pattern changes (I forget the percentage, but I think it's around 30%) then the word becomes difficult to read. Beyond a 50% change and it is impossible to read without faltering.

Mars
30th December 2004, 21:04
re: word reading. University of Cambridge has also pointed out that patterns of vowels have a bearing. If the word remains substantially unchanged in its pattern, then it remains easy to read. If, however, the pattern changes (I forget the percentage, but I think it's around 30%) then the word becomes difficult to read. Beyond a 50% change and it is impossible to read without faltering.

aahh...like txt talk.

Uncle B
30th December 2004, 21:25
Try this for weird

Subject: FW: Number 11 - Weird
>
> > > >
> > > > > Numerologists Delight!
> > > > >
> > > > > Any significance? You be the judge!!
> > > > >
> > > > > The number 11--------- weird !
> > > > >
> > > > > 11 has become to be a very interesting
> > number. It could be a forced
> > > > > coincidence, but in any case this is
> > interesting. You decide for
> > > > > yourself:
> > > > >
> > > > > 1) New York City has 11 letters.
> > > > >
> > > > > 2) Afghanistan has 11 letters.
> > > > >
> > > > > 3) Ramsin Yuseb (The terrorist who
> > threatened the Twin Towers in 1993)
> > > > > has
> > > > > 11 letters.
> > > > >
> > > > > 4) George W. Bush has 11 letters. This could
> > be a mere coincidence...
> > > > > (Could
> > > > > it be?)
> > > > >
> > > > > Now here is what is interesting...
> > > > >
> > > > > 1) New York is the State # 11
> > > > >
> > > > > 2) The first plane crushing against the Twin
> > Towers was flight #11.
> > > > >
> > > > > 3) Flight # 11 was carrying 92 passengers
> > Adding this number gives us:
> > > > > 9+2=11.
> > > > >
> > > > > 4) Flight # 77 who also hit the towers, was
> > carrying 65 passengers
> > > > > Adding
> > > > > this: 6+5=11.
> > > > >
> > > > > 5) The tragedy was on September 11, or 9/11.
> > Adding this: 9+1+1=11
> > > > >
> > > > > 6) The date is equal to the emergency number
> > 911. Adding this:
> > 9+1+1=11
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Now we have a very upsetting piece....
> > > > >
> > > > > 1) The total number of victims inside the
> > planes are 254: 2+5+4=11
> > > > >
> > > > > 2) The day September 11 is day number 254 of
> > the calendar year:
> > > > > 2+5+4=11
> > > > >
> > > > > 3) After September 11, there are 111 days
> > more to the end of the year.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > 4) The tragedy of 3/11/2004 in Madrid also
> > adds to: 3+1+1+2+4=11.
> > > > >
> > > > > 5) The tragedy in Madrid happened 911 days
> > after the tragedy of the
> > > > > Twin
> > > > > Towers. Spooky!! Read on.....!
> > > > >
> > > > > This is really eerie,,,,, This is something
> > to think about!
> > > > >
> > > > > Since America is typically represented by an
> > Eagle. Saddam and Bin
> > > > > Laden
> > > > > should have read up on their Muslim
> > passages.. The following verse is
> > > > > from
> > > > > the Quran, (the Islamic Bible). Quran (
> > 9:11) -- "For it is written
> > > > > that a
> > > > > son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle.
> > The wrath of the Eagle
> > > > > would be
> > > > > felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo,
> > while some of the people
> > > > > trembled
> > > > > in despair still more rejoiced; for the
> > wrath of the Eagle cleansed
> > > > > the
> > > > > lands of Allah; and there was peace." Note
> > the verse number!!!!!
> > > > >

Ghost Lemur
30th December 2004, 22:19
Try this for weird...

Way to promote yet another urban legend...

Read This (http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/quran.asp).

How's about NOT believing everything you read. :lol:

scumdog
30th December 2004, 22:26
Yeah Well after I did some 9T7U and a 4M I was 4U with a K9 for 5127 and after some 4Q I was 4C before I went 10-0 and got got a 4L.