PDA

View Full Version : Filtering, crash... insurance?

Riding LockedDown
3rd May 2009, 13:57
If im lane splitting between two lanes on the motor and the traffic is moving between 0-40km/h, and a car switches lane and I hit it, do I

a) get a ticket and no insurance
b) get a ticket and insurance
c) no ticket but get insurance

is there anything i have to say to ensure I get insurance?

by the way this hasent happened, I just wanna know what to do if it does. cheers

jrandom
3rd May 2009, 14:12
do I

a) get a ticket and no insurance
b) get a ticket and insurance
c) no ticket but get insurance

Motor vehicle insurance normally covers you even if you're 'at fault' (with the usual exceptions of riding drunk, riding an un-WOFable machine, etc). So you can stop worrying about that.

Anyway, why are you asking us exactly what you're insured for?

Read your policy document, or ask your broker or insurance company.

And if you crash because you were doing something silly, you'll get a ticket or not depending on the current mood of any police officer that turns up.

is there anything i have to say to ensure I get insurance?

Not lying about anything before or after the crash is always a good start.

steve_t
3rd May 2009, 15:08
If you word it like that, I'm gonna go with (a) as line splitting is technically illegal... HOWEVER, if the car switched lanes then there must have been space next to the car so you could try to say that you weren't lane splitting at the time of the accident but merely riding within the lane close to the car next to you when it changed lanes without seeing you. You shouldn't lie but choosing the words you use to describe the situation can give you a better chance. I don't think insurance will cover you if you're doing anything illegal.

I guess it all depends on whether the car changed lanes and hit you, or as you've written, the car changed lanes and then you hit it.

Riding LockedDown
3rd May 2009, 15:13
cheers for the replies, I asked you all, cause I was wondering if anyone had known the result of a real life situation. I know whats covered and whats not, but doesnt always work like that. Like many a policemans call, it is discretionary...

Gubb
3rd May 2009, 15:14
If you word it like that, I'm gonna go with (a) as line splitting is technically illegal...

O Rly?

As long as you are passing the vehicle in the right fn the same lane, it's a perfectly legal overtaking maneuver.

Riding LockedDown
3rd May 2009, 15:16
The age old filtering debate lol.

Gubb
3rd May 2009, 15:49
The age old filtering debate lol.

You've been here what, all of two weeks?

Wanna start a Waving thread while you're at it.

CookMySock
3rd May 2009, 18:43
The age old filtering debate lol.There isn't any debate. The law is perfectly clear - you MAY pass on the right in your lane if there is room. You may do this even while there is a yellow no-passing line, providing you do not cross it. You must pass on the right - NOT on the left.

The term "lane splitting" is just slang for the above. We would probably be better served if was not used, since it is a splinter definition that maybe categorised as illegal, where the original definition is patently legal. Not very clear, sorry, but I can't be effed. ;)

Steve

Swoop
3rd May 2009, 20:16
If im lane splitting between two lanes on the motor and the traffic is moving between 0-40km/h, and a car switches lane...
First. If you are filtering, there is a large amount of traffic around to make you do this. Especially between 0-40kph.
A car is unlikely to change lanes quickly at this speed since gridlock is happening.
A car that indicates, for the legally required three-seconds, is unusual and the space that the person is attempting to move into will likely be closed up by another arsehole car-ist, especially in D'auckland.

Ride to the conditions. Keep your eyes alert at all times and "read" the traffic.

Fub@r
3rd May 2009, 22:16
A car is unlikely to change lanes quickly at this speed since gridlock is happening.

They do in Auckland.........hence the dirty skid mark I left on the Northwestern the other day to match the one in my pants :)

FJRider
3rd May 2009, 22:28
If you run into the back of a vehicle, you are at fault. If a vehicle moves sideways into you, they are at fault because they did not check the way was clear. Often done by those that rely solely on what they can/cant see in their mirrors... too lazy to turn their head ... and look.

Riding LockedDown
3rd May 2009, 22:37
I've been reading the forums for far longer... I only joined not long ago to ask stupid questions that I'm not sure of... haha

But thanks for the replies mates. cheers

CookMySock
4th May 2009, 07:59
If you run into the back of a vehicle, you are at fault. If a vehicle moves sideways into you, they are at fault because they did not check the way was clear.The main way to tell if you are in the right or not, is if you are dead. If you are dead, you were definitely in the wrong. Dead = wrong. Alive = right! Easy! You can debate it until the sky turns black, but this one rule always remains.

Steve

Swoop
4th May 2009, 08:25
They do in Auckland.........hence the dirty skid mark I left on the Northwestern the other day to match the one in my pants :)
Not saying that they don't... just harder for them in slow, gridlocked traffic.
Where was your skidmark? I'll keep an eye out for it!

vifferman
4th May 2009, 08:58

I was driving on the motorway on the weekend, and complained to my wife about some eejit crossing from the lane to the right of us, to the one to the left. The whinging was barely out of my mouth, when ANOTHER eejit goes, "Oh REEEEEAALLY? I that all you got?!?", and repeats the manoeuvre, but adds an extra flourish: takes the off ramp that he had only just enough space to make, by making sure his manouevre at a very sharp angle across the traffic.

CookMySock
4th May 2009, 09:42
takes the off ramp that he had only just enough space to make, by making sure his manouevre at a very sharp angle across the traffic.cough, it's embarrassing when that happens, don't you think? :Oops:

Cmon, don't tell me you have never had to make a lane change at the last second?

We're all just trying to ahead every day. There's no need to struggle to be more "right" than the next person. The motorway is just another little playground to enjoy ourselves on - its just a dangerous playground that's all, and we will all be better off not just making sure we are safe, but to afford others just that little bit more space to live their lives and have their fun too.

Try this exercise some time. When you are driving along the motorway and not particularly busy, single out one car and imagine that person worried about their job, or their kids, or their girlfriend who has just ditched them, or some other thing that could really load up their emotional state. Imagine them having kids and buying a house, and how they FEEL about that. Now project that image onto everyone on the motorway around you - try to see the look on everyones' faces (heh watch where you are going pls). You see, they are just like you and I - part of humanity that feels hurt, angry, joyful, sad, etc sometimes. The old gran holding you up is probably feeling quite scared, "ohhh don't follow so closely, dear!" The person who nearly sideswiped you was possibly in tears just ditched by their spose. So we are not always right - let someone else go first occasionally - give them a wave too!

Have a nice day!
Steve

Fub@r
4th May 2009, 10:28
Not saying that they don't... just harder for them in slow, gridlocked traffic.
Where was your skidmark? I'll keep an eye out for it!

In between the lanes heading towards Auckland on the downhill slope just before the Patiki on ramp. I stopped that close to his bumper I couldn't even walk the bike around him.

Git changed lanes, no indication, didn't look. I was only doing around 40kph at the time. Bike behind me also managed to pull up in time. Guy in the car didn't even care.

Traffic was at a crawl and he changed lanes when there wasn't even enough room for him to do so.