PDA

View Full Version : Roy's Hill Rocks!

fixer
4th May 2009, 01:40
A brief description of a day at Roy's Hill.

After a day of brilliant racing at Roy's Hill near Hastings, I can totally recommend a trip to the "sunny" Hawkes Bay. It's a fabulous track with a range of interesting corners and great pit facilities. And the hospitality of the folk in the Bay is fantastic - especially Steve Bennett and Paula who made Rick and Dean and I feel totally welcome.

The weather seemed likely to disrupt our plans, right up until a few minutes before we arrived at Roy's Hill to find the track almost completely dry. From that moment, a bubble of magic weather seemed to protect the track throughout the racing day. By the time practice concluded, the track was pretty much bone dry and stayed that way until we were packing up for the day.

Only two classes meant LOTS of racing for all. The motard guys (in goodly numbers) provided superb entertainment for us in between bucket races. It was amazing to see Toby Summers fighting tooth and nail with the guy running number 66 (who was that masked man???). The two of them carving up the lapped riders was a scary thing but a marvel to behold.

The bucket racing was enormous fun. The track is so interesting that you can have a great time whether dicing with other riders or just trying to figure the place out. And the track is wonderfully SMOOTH too. Rick and Steve had some great battles and both of them were a challenge to get past. I think it's safe to assume that a lot of fun was had. And Dean had a massive grin on his face after the kart guys let him take one of their karts out for some hot laps.

I imagine there will be some more detailed results posted on the Pacific Club website (www.pacclub.co.nz) in the next few days. While you're there, it's worth selecting the Miniature Road Race category and clicking on the link to Fish's on-board video footage of racing at Roy's Hill in December last year. If you haven't seen it already.

The next event at Roy's Hill is next month (June 7) and I for one am dead keen to return for another fix. I had an absolute ball!

Huge thanks to Rick and Dean for being such great racing and travelling buddies.

Tim :-)

(FXR #39)

NSR143
4th May 2009, 16:48
Great day had by all. Hope we get more from out of town again next time.

To lead the series all I had to do was turn up twice, in the interests of fairness I will not be at the next round! See the points as they stand after 2 rounds. Next Round June 7th.
S Bennett 73
T Fraser 60
S Coombs 57
B Sprozen 54
T Firn 54
R Ford 51
T Deller 43
D Archer 35
D Miller 35
R Firn 34
M Nabbs 29
S Robson 28
N Rossvall 23
C Cattermole 22
J Rossvall 20
P Doohan 17
G Skachill 15
N Manning 15
B Symonds 15
N Keenan 15
P Barns 15
J Lincoln 5
A Presant 5

lovesracingbikes
4th May 2009, 19:13
Sounds like you guys had a great time down in the Bay. :yes:

Rick 52
4th May 2009, 20:15
Thanks for the report Tim
It was a blast and I am still buzzing and although it was a big weekend it was worth it and with a great place to stay with spot on hospitality we couldn't ask for more .
Cheers Steve and Paula

NSR143
5th May 2009, 10:48
Yes and i had to work my knees to the bone to stay with you Rick! i will see if I can find some extra valves in my shed to stick in my engine.... for next time!!!

ryanf062
5th May 2009, 19:55
oh if only i could have had better luck with bikes. but still a good day out.

NSR143
6th May 2009, 08:28
oh if only i could have had better luck with bikes. but still a good day out.

Bring them to the TMT race garage for a fix up...

ryanf062
11th May 2009, 17:35
i beleive that is where the aprillia rsf150 was born
you Know. the one that the motor just about fell out of.

Rick 52
11th May 2009, 22:03
Do we have any photos from the meet ?
I did see a nice camera being pointed about

NSR143
13th May 2009, 08:43
Do we have any photos from the meet ?
I did see a nice camera being pointed about

i will ask around

NSR143
13th May 2009, 08:44
i beleive that is where the aprillia rsf150 was born
you Know. the one that the motor just about fell out of.

i think the last repairs were carried out at Firn Bros Racing (shed) you better check and see if you can get warranty on it!!!

Shorty_925
13th May 2009, 14:40
Here's a few photos.

Shorty_925
13th May 2009, 14:42
perhaps this time they'll attach...

Rick 52
14th May 2009, 20:05
Thats a cracker of Toby
Laying down a darky

ryanf062
31st May 2009, 15:30
so whoes comming to the next round on the 7th?

DELLORTO
31st May 2009, 15:41
i will, where do you stay??

UNSTABLE
31st May 2009, 19:22
so whoes comming to the next round on the 7th?

There will be a few visitors from Auckland making the trip...

Shorty_925
2nd June 2009, 16:21
i will, where do you stay??

Dellotro, Bringing your 85 for the motard class?

UNSTABLE
8th June 2009, 19:38
Well a big thanks to the Pacific club for running an awesome days racing. It was all very relaxed and everybody seemed to be having a great time.
The weather was kind (if a little chilly in the wind) and the track was dry and grippy all day.

Personally I had a great time when I finally got my bike going, big thanks to Gavin for the lend of the carburetor!
I missed both the practise sessions unfortunately so I had to learn the track in the first race... kind of interesting...
Tim and the Fish were just a bit too quick and managed to pull a few metres on me each lap during the races. Hopefully with a bit more time on the bike and a couple of little changes I'll be able to hang with you guys and make it a bit more interesting!
I had good fun learning the track, and I'm looking forward to the next meet, hopefully I'll be able to make it down again. I think the other guys that went down will be keen to be there too.

Another big thanks to the crew I traveled with, a very cool weekend, thanks lads!!!

Cheers, Robert. (Bucket #62)

Shorty_925
10th June 2009, 17:06
Here's a few more photos from the weekend.

Shorty_925
10th June 2009, 17:15
and a couple more..

UNSTABLE
10th June 2009, 21:46
Cool pictures Shorty, thanks for posting those up!!!

fi5hy
10th June 2009, 22:17
Thanks for the pic's mate hope to be back with better rubber for the DRZ next time fell on my asre four times on Sunday.

fixer
10th June 2009, 22:23
Well said Robert. It was a superb weekend. If it's possible, I think I actually enjoyed Roy's Hill even more clockwise! And thanks for posting those photos Shorty. It's great to have some souvenirs. Tim

fixer
10th June 2009, 22:26
Hi Fishy! And special thanks to you for making the racing so interesting. I still feel guilty for stealing that second race from you. I'd pretty much given up on getting past you and was almost too surprised to take advantage when you got run off the track. I hope your body and your bikes are recovered from their altercations with the ground.

Shorty_925
10th June 2009, 22:33
Np about the photos, you really need to thank my shit tyres. After that second crash I had enough of crashing and little moments. Good to see you out of towners turning up in numbers(in both classes).

fixer
10th June 2009, 22:53
Yeah ... Roy's Hill is a fantastic circuit. The track, the pit/dummy-grid area, all those bales ... it's all great. I've enjoyed Mt Wgtn, Taumarunui, Taupo and Kaitoki (tho only in the wet!) but Roy's Hill is probably my favourite track. Anyone who hasn't been there should do whatever they can to make the trip. And they shouldn't necessarily be too put off by marginal weather forecasts ... the Roy's Hill track seems to exist in a little bubble of fine weather that manages to last until the racing is over. :-)

fi5hy
11th June 2009, 08:11
Hi Fishy! And special thanks to you for making the racing so interesting. I still feel guilty for stealing that second race from you. I'd pretty much given up on getting past you and was almost too surprised to take advantage when you got run off the track. I hope your body and your bikes are recovered from their altercations with the ground.

Tail bone still sore after mounting that kerb at 80 odd k skin slowly replacing itself on the hip so all up OK. Next time their will be a race on the warm up lap to get to the inside of the start line first. As you and me know when your racing at the same speed there is no way passed and no were to pass safely you just sit and hope you make a screw up some were.

fi5hy
11th June 2009, 08:16
Yeah ... Roy's Hill is a fantastic circuit. The track, the pit/dummy-grid area, all those bales ... it's all great. I've enjoyed Mt Wgtn, Taumarunui, Taupo and Kaitoki (tho only in the wet!) but Roy's Hill is probably my favourite track. Anyone who hasn't been there should do whatever they can to make the trip. And they shouldn't necessarily be too put off by marginal weather forecasts ... the Roy's Hill track seems to exist in a little bubble of fine weather that manages to last until the racing is over. :-)

I think you need to come down to kaitoke sometime I think this would rate right up their as one of the best tracks in the country.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=-37.785661,176.276321&spn=0.001942,0.004469&t=h&z=18

I'd love to give this one a go

ryanf062
11th June 2009, 19:32
:clap:ohh nice im cought in the photo abouve doing the grass track:Oi:

Shorty_925
11th June 2009, 21:49
you really wana up-grade to a motard if you wana do that sort of racing, or you just getting some practice in?

fixer
11th June 2009, 22:46
I think you need to come down to kaitoke sometime I think this would rate right up their as one of the best tracks in the country.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=-37.785661,176.276321&spn=0.001942,0.004469&t=h&z=18

I'd love to give this one a go

Yeah. I really should have gone down to Kaitoke this easter, but it didn't quite happen. Will definitely make more of an effort next season. I've ridden there in the rain. If I wasn't cold and miserable I'm sure I would really have enjoyed the place. Fingers crossed for my next visit. Hope to see you there Fishy. And yes, that Te Puke track looks rather sweet.

Kendog
12th June 2009, 06:38
Yeah. I really should have gone down to Kaitoke this easter, but it didn't quite happen. Will definitely make more of an effort next season. I've ridden there in the rain. If I wasn't cold and miserable I'm sure I would really have enjoyed the place. Fingers crossed for my next visit. Hope to see you there Fishy. And yes, that Te Puke track looks rather sweet.

Kaitoke wet and Kaitoke dry are like two different tracks. The second one is awesome.

I did really enjoy Roy's Hill as well, but the day we were there it had a problem at the other extreme, it was too hot :sunny:

UNSTABLE
12th June 2009, 06:41
Man that Te Puke track looks awesome!!! Do they run buckets there? If not someone needs to hook us up!

I'm sure we could scratch together a keen crew for a trip down to Windyton if there was a good 2 dayer on, little bit far to go for a one day meeting. Looks like a nice track down there too.

F5 Dave
12th June 2009, 09:22
Kaitoke wet and Kaitoke dry are like two different tracks. The second one is awesome.

I did really enjoy Roy's Hill as well, but the day we were there it had a problem at the other extreme, it was too hot :sunny:

Yeah & the ground was too hard.:doctor:

Kendog
12th June 2009, 14:37
I'm sure we could scratch together a keen crew for a trip down to Windyton if there was a good 2 dayer on, little bit far to go for a one day meeting. Looks like a nice track down there too.

You just missed the Easter two day event down here.