PDA

View Full Version : "Deodorising" gloves?

slofox
4th May 2009, 11:48
After a long break in period, I am starting to like my new Quasi winter gloves...apart from one problem...they stink. No no no, this is not Quasi's fault - my hands sweat in 'em and they are hard to dry out, so they end up a little ... errr pongy to say the least.

So what do you do to stop that then? Anyone?

Blackshear
4th May 2009, 12:03
After a long break in period, I am starting to like my new Quasi winter gloves...apart from one problem...they stink. No no no, this is not Quasi's fault - my hands sweat in 'em and they are hard to dry out, so they end up a little ... errr pongy to say the least.

Chuckem in the washing machine?

EDIT: Mine smell like feet from time to time.
Not a good combo as I ALWAYS leave the gloves in my helmet.

Quasievil
4th May 2009, 12:09

I wouldnt stick them in the washing machine as thats a violent process, I would put them in a sink with cold water and a mild detergent, after that I would re treat the leather outer with a leather treatment and a Sno Seal.

Dont dry them in the sun either or infront of the fire, dry them in the shade over a few days.

thats my recommendation

Blackshear
4th May 2009, 12:17
I wouldnt stick them in the washing machine as thats a violent process, I would put them in a sink with cold water and a mild detergent, after that I would re treat the leather outer with a leather treatment and a Sno Seal.

Dont dry them in the sun either or infront of the fire, dry them in the shade over a few days.

thats my recommendation

But the washing machine is so much easier :Oops:

allycatz
4th May 2009, 12:23
Maybe try a light dusting of Grannies Foot Remedy powder on ya hands or another suitable foot deodorant spray (not suggesting ya walk on ya hands or anything matey) may not stop all sweat but would help alleviate odour

Slyer
4th May 2009, 12:40
Put them into an ice cream container full of water and place in freezer till frozen. Then find a way of defrosting, I hear throwing them on top of an open flame works well.

Beemer
4th May 2009, 19:42
One thing I would NOT suggest you do is sprinkle them inside with baking soda. It is good for deodorising things but I tried this with a pair of gloves of mine that were a bit whiffy. I left it in there for days then tipped it out, but every time I wore them after that they stung like hell! Any tiny little cut hurt like hell. I ended up washing them in wool wash and leaving them to dry slowly but they were never quite the same after that and I ended up buying a new pair. (Any excuse!)

CookMySock
4th May 2009, 19:56
I'm really particular to only put clean hands in gloves. I carry a visor cleaning-kit (mild detergent solution) that I can use to clean my hands if I am forced to. I hate dirty hands anyway.

Interested to hear all the suggestions though.

Steve

megageoff76
4th May 2009, 20:00
Put them into an ice cream container full of water and place in freezer till frozen.

+ 1

A magazine I read, suggested that freezing them kills the stinky bacteria and gets rid of the smell. Worth a shot anyway.

Ragingrob
4th May 2009, 20:04
You can also prob use stuff like "no feet" or other shoe deoderising sprays that work to get rid off any smell.

varminter
4th May 2009, 20:05
WTF do you do with your boots, beat them with a stick ??

98tls
4th May 2009, 20:06
Coming back from Greymouth the other night my hands got so cold i stopped and pissed on the pair of em,works a treat and ya gloves smell homely afterwards as well.

Ragingrob
4th May 2009, 20:09
Coming back from Greymouth the other night my hands got so cold i stopped and pissed on the pair of em,works a treat and ya gloves smell homely afterwards as well.

Not a bad idea, I usually just sit on my hands when they're cold, though corners tend to be a bitch after that :crazy:

98tls
4th May 2009, 20:12
Not a bad idea, I usually just sit on my hands when they're cold, though corners tend to be a bitch after that :crazy: Can imagine mate,ive a very warm set of winter gloves i bought off Quasi but on said day i had some lightweight summer ones on (also bought off Quasi),there nicely scented now.:Oops:

fireliv
4th May 2009, 20:17
In terms of Drying them, Phoenix uses my hairdryer....... Not so impressed but seam to do the job well

CookMySock
4th May 2009, 20:20
Coming back from Greymouth the other night my hands got so cold i stopped and pissed on the pair of em:crazy:

If you get too cold, get off and push your bike for a bit. Or park your bike and run up a hill and back - ZIP your keys safely in a pocket beforehand! :argh:

Steve

macros87
4th May 2009, 20:23
+ 1

A magazine I read, suggested that freezing them kills the stinky bacteria and gets rid of the smell. Worth a shot anyway.

levis jeans recommend that you wash em as little as possible, so to get rid of smells they say you should place it in a plastic bag (zip lock type bags) and put them in the freezer over night take them out the next day and air them... if it works for jeans and it kills the bacteria like megageoff says then i don't see why it wouldn't work with gloves?

98tls
4th May 2009, 20:25
:crazy:

If you get too cold, get off and push your bike for a bit. Or park your bike and run up a hill and back - ZIP your keys safely in a pocket beforehand! :argh:

Steve Bugger that mate,if theres a shop handy i will stop buy a pie,use it to warm up the digits then eat the thing,if not,stop and have a piss,if you can pour it down your throat then theres no problem having it on your hands.....if its that cold,no i dont mean i drink piss:argh:you know what i mean.

Kirill357
4th May 2009, 23:16
I poured some hand sanitizer once, worked fine, as it says 'kills 99.9% of bacterias' plus it has some aloe vera for nice and smooth skin :yes:

Winston001
4th May 2009, 23:24
Grans Remedy. Do it.

Dave-
4th May 2009, 23:31
+ 1

cold doesn't kill bacteria, only forces it to hibernate.

personally I never take my gloves off, you never know when you might need to ride a motorcycle.

The Stranger
5th May 2009, 08:38

Neat Feet powder from the chemist.

pritch
5th May 2009, 08:50
The most basic solution is not to wear the same gloves everyday. Expensive perhaps, but it works

While it isn't good to dry gloves near a heat source, neither should drying take too long or they will smell anyway.

I have a sunporch that works well, weather permitting.

My gloves just smell of leather but I'm trying to get out of the habit of storing them in a helmet. My nice new helmet started to smell of not-so-new
gloves.

Highlander
5th May 2009, 08:57
I have a small (the smallest I could find) container of Baby Talc sitting by my gear in the garage and periodically powder my hands before putting my gloves on. Keeps the gloves smelling fresh and makes them easy to slip on and off.
I take it with me on a trip if I think about it.

jim.cox
5th May 2009, 09:21
Often the pong is given off by bacteria eating your sweat - ewwww yuk :(

The solution is to kill the bacteria

A soak in detol / savlon or similar does the trick

slofox
5th May 2009, 09:22
I'm really particular to only put clean hands in gloves. I carry a visor cleaning-kit (mild detergent solution) that I can use to clean my hands if I am forced to. I hate dirty hands anyway.

Interested to hear all the suggestions though.

Steve

'taint dirty hands that causes the problem...'tis SWEAT wot dunnit...

Scouse
5th May 2009, 09:42
Ahhh a thread about hand cheese

rocketman1
5th May 2009, 20:10
Yes I have that problem. Or should I say did.
Grannys foot deodoriser, worked a treat, dont put too much in though, you will have white hands, like Michael Jackson.
You even start to sing like him

toymachine
5th May 2009, 21:07
febreeze anti bacterial inside the gloves?

TomJ
5th May 2009, 21:26
To help gloves dry I stand them on the tank/bars allowing hot air from engine to dry them once parked in the garage at the end of the day. Does not get rid of smells but seems to keep them healthy for longer.

Laxi
5th May 2009, 21:37
wash? keep em stinky, keeps the rif raf away (by rif raf I mean wife & kids):2thumbsup

RocKai
6th May 2009, 05:17
How about that stuff on tardme, I've emailed the seller and he said it works perfect for this situation

Odarid General Purpose Neutraliser
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beauty/Hand-foot-care/Other/auction-216250382.htm

End of thread.

ajturbo
6th May 2009, 06:42
Maybe try a light dusting of Grannies Foot Remedy powder on ya hands or another suitable foot deodorant spray (not suggesting ya walk on ya hands or anything matey) may not stop all sweat but would help alleviate odour
this is what i use on everything that collects my sweet..

i find it is very useful for the gloves, boots and boxing gloves...shin pads...mouth freshener...

xwhatsit
6th May 2009, 07:49
How about that stuff on tardme, I've emailed the seller and he said it works perfect for this situation

Odarid General Purpose Neutraliser
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beauty/Hand-foot-care/Other/auction-216250382.htm

End of thread.
It's sounds pretty good. It's been run through charcoal and charcoal!

RocKai
6th May 2009, 11:43
Said the same Bear Grylls on deodorising his socks and stomach lining on his show Man Vs Wild eating charcoal ;)

007XX
6th May 2009, 11:51
For drying gear without putting it near a heat source, I find that placing said gear as near as possible a good dehumidifier does very well for me in winter.

Hot water cupboard just don't seem to go quite fast enough.

Skyryder
6th May 2009, 11:56
Often the pong is given off by bacteria eating your sweat - ewwww yuk :(

The solution is to kill the bacteria

A soak in detol / savlon or similar does the trick

Yep that's the best. Ya gotta kill the beasties. Talc and other perfume type solutions just hide the smell for a day or two.

Skyryder

allycatz
6th May 2009, 17:55
Grannies remedy works for ages....at least it does in stinky sneakers...

peasea
6th May 2009, 21:33

Turn them inside out and rub them over your genitals. It'll take your mind off the smell at least.....

ynot slow
6th May 2009, 21:41
Not sure if suggested but take them to dry cleaners,they sometimes have deodourising facility.

caseye
6th May 2009, 21:47
Go get some "Wet and Forget" put gloves in a bucket, add water and product to makers specs and soak overnight, then leave to dry for a few days away from direct sunlight.Same for sand shoes or other garments, once a year and no smell ever!
It works.

Winston001
13th May 2009, 10:13
Guys - the simplest and least messy solution is Grans Remedy. It contains bicarbonate of soda which kills bacteria. Or just get some bicarb from the supermarket - $2 - cheap as chips.

I even carry a small amount for trips in case I visit someone and my socks cause offence.....:devil2:

allycatz
13th May 2009, 13:05
Guys - the simplest and least messy solution is Grans Remedy. It contains bicarbonate of soda which kills bacteria. Or just get some bicarb from the supermarket - $2 - cheap as chips.

I even carry a small amount for trips in case I visit someone and my socks cause offence.....:devil2:
They just wont listen to a geriatric scooter rider....Mums know these things:headbang:

p.dath
13th May 2009, 13:13
I just leave mine soaking in a tub over night, and then leave them hanging up for the day to dry out.

You want to be carefull not to damage any of the protection.

spinergy
4th November 2011, 10:18
I wash mine in soapy water with a good squirt of janola then rinse them and chuck them in the hot water cupboard overnight.
The next morning they are clean, dry and ready to go.
Probably not recommended on real leather but seems to be fine on synthetic.

george formby
4th November 2011, 10:23

+1 kills the bacteria which makes em pong.

superman
4th November 2011, 10:36
Sunlight soap with a slow dry in shade outside seems to work fine for me, leather always seems to have a lot more smell than sweat. Might just be because I ride in the rain quite often.

Brayden
4th November 2011, 10:59
Turn them inside out and rub them over your genitals. It'll take your mind off the smell at least.....

Fucking cracked up so hard at this :laugh:

peasea
17th June 2012, 01:30
Fucking cracked up so hard at this :laugh:

At last; someone who understands real humour! Cheers.