PDA

View Full Version : Vintage rego?

digsaw
5th May 2009, 20:07
Ok , waats to be done,where or who knows how to vin and rego a vintage bike with no papers or plate.
Have bill of sale, have forms for brake declaration, do i need more information.
have proof of when manufactured by factory frame and engine numbers,waat more do i need eh.
As it is a 1939 bike will it need a speedo as i think it was an optional extra at the time :crazy:

wickle
5th May 2009, 20:28
Contact local Classic Motorcycle Club , some one there should have some ideas

Voltaire
5th May 2009, 21:44
Ok , waats to be done,where or who knows how to vin and rego a vintage bike with no papers or plate.
Have bill of sale, have forms for brake declaration, do i need more information.
have proof of when manufactured by factory frame and engine numbers,waat more do i need eh.
As it is a 1939 bike will it need a speedo as i think it was an optional extra at the time :crazy:

Last time I did one a few years ago, letter from Police to show they have no interest and bill of sale. Asking local Vintage Car Club a good idea as they can direct you to 'sympathetic' Vin place.
Good Luck

Ixion
5th May 2009, 22:25
Don't need a speedo (pre 1950) ; don't need a brake declaration (brakes ? on a '39 ? :rofl: )

Do need (in theory - unless you can find a friendly VIN man) evidence that it was once registered in NZ. Which may be tricky. Vintage club can help. Maybe. b

toycollector10
5th May 2009, 23:10
Send an email to Fiona Waititi at the LTNZ website. From memory she is one of the Senior Compliance Officers there.

Describe your problem and what you want to do, and ask her what LTNZ requires from you to achieve your end result. That is, a VIN and registration etc.

Just go to the top and you can't go wrong. I found her to be very competent and she had a common sense attitude to my many and various problems re bike history and ownership. Good luck.

Eddieb
14th May 2009, 20:24
Don't need a speedo (pre 1950) ; don't need a brake declaration (brakes ? on a '39 ? :rofl: )

Do need (in theory - unless you can find a friendly VIN man) evidence that it was once registered in NZ. Which may be tricky. Vintage club can help. Maybe. b

What if it's never been registered in NZ?

Ixion
14th May 2009, 20:28
Messy. You need a lot of paperwork (or a VERY friendly VIN man). basically evidence form wherever it came from , if it was imported used, and evidence that it legally entered the country and evidence that you acquired it legally. Bills of sale, shipping document, customs clearances , and such stuff. If it was NZ new but never registered, depends on the model, Some off road bikes can't be registered, ditto some Chinese stuff. If the model is OK (usually easy to know, are there road legal versions around), then the same paper trail, but from the dealer who first sold it onwards. Talk to LTSA.

XP@
18th May 2009, 18:18
So, enlighten us... you have a 1939 what?
Can we see some photo's?

I am going to go through the same process in a year or so with my '39 James

digsaw
29th May 2009, 21:45
no paper trail,but all is not lost,it just takes time, will keep you informed as to waat it takes when i find out all about it.
I delivered it to VINZ in Hamilton last week and was told to leave it with them as this could take up too 6 weeks!!!!!!!:doh: http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/dignz/GetAttachment2.jpg

Voltaire
30th May 2009, 08:48
Very nice, I'm guessing a 1945-48 is BSA B31....?

did they do a high pipe version?

good luck with the vinning.

When I did my Triumph years ago I had to get a letter from the UK Triumph owners club.

digsaw
30th May 2009, 12:20
1939 B25 BSA:Punk:

hayd3n
30th May 2009, 14:03
1939 B25 BSA:Punk:

like this??

caseye
30th May 2009, 14:09
no paper trail,but all is not lost,it just takes time, will keep you informed as to waat it takes when i find out all about it.
I delivered it to VINZ in Hamilton last week and was told to leave it with them as this could take up too 6 weeks!!!!!!!:doh: http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/dignz/GetAttachment2.jpg

Please tell me you didn't leave that beautiful motorcycle at a VTNZ Office/Centre, ask Frosty what happens at those places!Good luck, with the lady at VTNZ sounds like very good advice.:chase:

digsaw
30th May 2009, 15:50
if anything happens blood will flow, and thats a promise.:2guns:they were warned:Pokey:

lozz900
31st May 2009, 16:13
Go look for Fiona Waititi. Iv just got the green light to build a classic ducati.
The chassis had no history anywhere worldwide.. I collected data off the net to support the exact make and model i claimed it was, I also sent photos of all my parts to her to show I had a complete bike.. I also copied data out of books supporting my claim also.. I also had a note from the coppers saying it wasnt of interest to them either..
The end result was I now have a signed letter that states i will be able to register the bike when its built without having to show the normal documentation.. It took 6 months and a bit of work but its one of those things you need to find out before you spend craploads building it..

Voltaire
31st May 2009, 16:39
Go look for Fiona Waititi. Iv just got the green light to build a classic ducati.
The chassis had no history anywhere worldwide.. I collected data off the net to support the exact make and model i claimed it was, I also sent photos of all my parts to her to show I had a complete bike.. I also copied data out of books supporting my claim also.. I also had a note from the coppers saying it wasnt of interest to them either..
The end result was I now have a signed letter that states i will be able to register the bike when its built without having to show the normal documentation.. It took 6 months and a bit of work but its one of those things you need to find out before you spend craploads building it..

Classic Ducati....tell us more!!!!
Sounds like an interesting project.

digsaw
3rd June 2009, 18:35
Right, noo rego proof,easy apply for the exemption , done an dusted.
oops next request from the red tape gits, a letter of authenticity:yes:

Willdat?
9th June 2009, 08:24
I had the fun of reregistering a 1988 Honda GL145 that had been built up out of 3 bikes.

Plates and cosmetic stuff and what I thought the rego was off one...
frame from another and motor from a third. I was mislead by the rego sticker/plate and had figured it was going to be pretty straight forward

It did eventually happen, but took 9 weeks and a fair amount of BS from a sympathetic VTNZ guy...I think I only kept it for another 9 weeks after that too, probably not worth it with the benefit of hindsight!

But an old BSA :headbang:

digsaw
8th July 2009, 18:52
:crybaby: bastards,i am still waiting:angry:

caseye
8th July 2009, 19:46
And that beautiful bike? is it back under your watchful eye??

digsaw
8th July 2009, 20:10
It will be next week regardless:angry:

u4ea
8th July 2009, 20:15
EEk..sounds messy but achievable. I havn't looked into revinning my bonnie yet (just got gear box back together). Mine has been previuosly registered so am hoping I dont dont have too many dramas when my time comes.:sweatdropPhoto is proof shot ;)

digsaw
17th July 2009, 20:08
Waiting waiting waiting ...ooops more paper,ticked all da boxs an emailed it off to the spot down south sooo waiting waiting:yawn:

digsaw
23rd July 2009, 13:27
Sent: Thursday, 23 July 2009 1:23:01 a.m.
To: s.joyce@ministers.govt.nz

to the Minister of Transport
S Joyce
Dear Minister,I have just been through the ordeal of putting a Vintage motor cycle back on the road and i wish to complain about the protracted and complicated processes that this entails.
From the time i decided to start this process to the end has taken 3 months! and it is my belief that this is unacceptable and unnecessary,that the Vintage Car Club of NZ and VINZ and the land transport Association are inapt and unable to perform the necessary functions that are required in a time frame that is acceptable.
The information is not available via LTSA or VINZ web sites and any information gleaned from all sources are in fact dubious and of little help to people like myself. It is my belief that this must and could be changed to better serve the people that require to have vehicles Vinned and registed.
Better information on the LTAS web site and better people to issue letters of Authenticity, eg two months from Vintage car club NZ is not acceptable. It seems to me that if i wanted a letter of Authenticity one would get this from an organization that dealt with motorcycles and actually knew something about the subject.
The fact that a VINZ station can say they can do the vin, rego and wof on the day without an appointment,take your money and then tell you that they cant do it until certain things are done and to leave the motorcycle in their care until the requirements are meet,for a period of two months is unbelievable an unacceptable, i implore you to do something and do it soon to make the whole process a better experience.
If i sound a bit tetchy,it is because i am,VERY.
Regards Doug Johnson.

caseye
23rd July 2009, 18:52
Now thats what I calling doing something, well done Doug.
Got that baby back under your care yet?
I'm emailing said minister too, in sympathy.Can't have inept stupid non riders looking after multi million $ motorcycles for ever an ever while some git decides if it's Kosher or not.

Good evening minister, I'm emailing you in support of a fellow motorcycle enthusiast who has experienced a time delay of over three months for the re vinning process to be accomplished.
What disturbs me greatly is the fact that this gentleman has had to leave HIS! vintage motorcycle in the care of a VINZ centre throughout this process.
No one knows who moves or rides this Vintage Motorcycle daily or if it's adaquetely secured at night or even if it's safe or insured while in the custody ( is there another word for this enforced leaving of someones property with a govt agency) of VINZ for goodness sake?
His email to you is reproduced below so you can relate my email to his.I await a reply and look forward to seeing something positive done to make this process simpler and much much quicker .
Without the need for some inexpereinced VINZ employee to be made reponsible for a very expensive vintage vehicle for any length of time.
Yours

His letter as it appears in KB an internet forum for many New Zealand motorcyclists, of which he and I are members.

To: s.joyce@ministers.govt.nz

to the Minister of Transport
S Joyce
Dear Minister,I have just been through the ordeal of putting a Vintage motor cycle back on the road and i wish to complain about the protracted and complicated processes that this entails.
From the time i decided to start this process to the end has taken 3 months! and it is my belief that this is unacceptable and unnecessary,that the Vintage Car Club of NZ and VINZ and the land transport Association are inapt and unable to perform the necessary functions that are required in a time frame that is acceptable.
The information is not available via LTSA or VINZ web sites and any information gleaned from all sources are in fact dubious and of little help to people like myself. It is my belief that this must and could be changed to better serve the people that require to have vehicles Vinned and registed.
Better information on the LTAS web site and better people to issue letters of Authenticity, eg two months from Vintage car club NZ is not acceptable. It seems to me that if i wanted a letter of Authenticity one would get this from an organization that dealt with motorcycles and actually knew something about the subject.
The fact that a VINZ station can say they can do the vin, rego and wof on the day without an appointment,take your money and then tell you that they cant do it until certain things are done and to leave the motorcycle in their care until the requirements are meet,for a period of two months is unbelievable an unacceptable, i implore you to do something and do it soon to make the whole process a better experience.
If i sound a bit tetchy,it is because i am,VERY.
Regards Doug Johnson.

Here is the link to his post on KB ( Kiwi Biker). Where many of us have read and been horrified that someones pride and joy can be in the hands of unknown people who don't care or are not concerned about what needs to be done to ensure a Vintage vehicle is looked after properly and cared for with respect, not to mention the safety of said vehicle while it's not in the care of it's rightful owner! Nor the question of insurance.
The Link.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=98698&page=2

I have already sent the email and hope it does some good, can I suggest that as many of us can, do also! This is one way of making sure we are at least heard by Govt.

Voltaire
23rd July 2009, 20:00
I'm a fringe member of the Vintage Car Club here in Auckland , they have a large motorcycle section. When I bought a Chaing Jaiing a few years ago which was supposed to be a 1959 I just made a few enquiries at the club, was told where to go and got it sorted in a matter of hours.
Had to take off the sidecar as it was on the right.....
I have found in the past with vinning old cars that its best to make quite a few enquiries regarding where to go prior to taking it in as some guys wouldn't know a king pin from a rolling pin.
I had to re register/ re vin my 78 Ducati a few years ago and the VTNZ in Mt Wellington would didn't have a clue what they were looking at....passed it though.....only to have the headlight failed at next wof as it dipped to the right....sigh.
Sorry to hear about your hassles.

digsaw
23rd July 2009, 20:19
Voltaire,The rules have changed, it is nothing like when you did yours and yes i spent a month searching for info on how to do it but it was all wrong,even LTSA didnt seem to know waat was required and VINZ didnt!
The biggest hold up was The Vintage Car Club of NZ !!!!two fucking months and then the LTSA forgot that they had granted an exemption for the lack of documentation and if i hadnt followed them up an kicked their butt it just wouldnt of happened,well it still hasnt yet.
Sent emails too all political parties and intend to send many more to ANY interested parties or action groups, please feel welcome to do the same.

ntst8
25th July 2009, 17:32
2 months is a while but don't forget that the good people at the VCC are all volunteers and without their input we would be looking at one off low volume certs for each vehicle or some even more bureaucratic and likely expensive process.
I fully agree that there should be a hit list available to walk people through the process, lets hope you efforts get this happening.
I have been following this with interest as i am about to go through the process myself in the next month or so, and if i am asked to leave my bike with anybody for an extended period unkind words will be exchanged.

digsaw
26th July 2009, 17:25
dont leave it anywhere but your place,get your letter of authenticy .and your bill of sale before you even try for vin and rego,if no previous record proof of nz rego, get the form for an exemption.make sure you have the motorcycle good and ready for a wof and you should fly through.:Punk:

ntst8
27th July 2009, 19:39
thanks, just getting VCC Id paperwork together now, then a couple of mechanical items to deal with, then the excitement begins.

digsaw
28th July 2009, 08:08
letter of authenticy = $70 from VCCNZ so if one has to wait two months tells me its a service i have paid for and one that shouldnt be done by parttimers

caseye
30th July 2009, 16:52
Well it's not from the honourabler Minister yet, but it seems it might happen.
heres the reply to my emial to Steven Joyce.
Dear Mark Casidy

On behalf of Hon Steven Joyce, Minister of Transport, thank you for your email of 23 July 2009 outlining your support for a fellow motorcycle enthusiast, who has experienced a time delay of over 3 months for the re vinning process to be accomplished.

Your email has been placed before the Minister for his consideration and you may expect a reply in due course.

Yours sincerely

Tania Ditchburn | Private Secretary | Office of Hon Steven Joyce | Minister of Transport | 5.1R Beehive, Parliament Buildings, PO Box 18041, Wellington 6160, New Zealand | T: 04 817 9856 | F: 04 817 6513

W: http://www.beehive.govt.nz and http://www.parliament.nz

Hope this and Others! there were others aye you lot, helps you to get somewhere.
What news of your bike, got her home safe and sound yet?

KZ440
3rd August 2009, 21:37
My bike was last registered in 2001. It has no plate but there ia an old WOF under the seat with the plate number on. Does Land Transport have records or do I have to go through another rigamarole to get it reregistered? What do I need to get it reregistered?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Dave

digsaw
3rd August 2009, 22:01
Proof of ownership,Bill of sale, receipt.
Proof of previous registration in NZ, that WOF could do if it is still on the records.
A VIN plate, if it has a VIN number they will have a record of the bike for sure. If no VIN you just could be in deep shyte if the bike is not 40 years old or more
If over 40 years old you will need a letter of Authenticity from the NZ VINTAGE CAR CLUB.

KZ440
4th August 2009, 21:07
Where would they put a VIN plate? When did they start to use them? My bike is 1980. Thanks.

Ixion
4th August 2009, 21:30
Wof with a rego from 2001 will be enough. That'll be in the system. Just take it and go see them. It's if it hasn't been registered since around 1987 (? I think - 1980 summit ) that you have problems.

That's when the records previously kept by the local authorities were transferred onto the LTSA computer (or the predecessor of the LTSA, computerised, anyway). Problem was, they copied all the CURRENT registrations that the local bodies had, but ignored any lapsed ones. And then destroyed the original records (vandals !).

So if it wasn't registered back then, all trace may be lost.

KZ440
6th August 2009, 12:42
Thanks Ixion. After deciphering the plate number from the WOF (not an easy task) I put it into the carjam website (www.carjam.co.nz) and I now have all the history! BTW I recommend carjam as it is half price of the other services such as lemoncheck.