PDA

View Full Version : A few Qs!

Gangle
9th May 2009, 02:22
Evenin all!

Moving over to Christchurch from Dublin in August, can't wait:2thumbsup

Have a few questions if someone can help me out. The first thing I want to do when we get off the plane is get me a bike! (the misses says car, we'll have to see!) Going to need some form of transport to go around looking at places to rent, but will I need a permanant address and proof of it to get insurance? Thats the way they do it here, but they do everything arse-ways here!

The other thing I was wondering about is if you can use your no claims bonus years from Ireland? And finally who would be a good insurance company to go with?

I'm sure I'll have loads more questions, you'll be sick of me by the end of it;)

fredie
9th May 2009, 03:05
your welcome :beer:

mujambee
9th May 2009, 03:53
the misses says car, we'll have to see!

I wouldn't loose time looking into bikes ;)

Good luck

sunhuntin
9th May 2009, 07:33
most riders here will suggest kiwibike insurance... they are who id go with anyway... ive heard nothing but good things about them.

CookMySock
9th May 2009, 08:13
sunhuntin speaks the truth, but it's not a legal requirement to have insurance here.

If the insurance thing becomes too onerous, and as long as you are prepared to be bloody careful (everyone should be anyway!), you can legally proceed without motor vehicle insurance.

Do be careful on our roads. They can be bendy little goat tracks, and many tourists here pay with their lives.

Steve

jrandom
9th May 2009, 08:16
many tourists here pay with their lives

WTF? Define 'many'. What a lovely way to welcome someone to the country.

:crazy:

Anyhoo, yes, for bike insurance, call Kiwibike (http://www.kiwibike.co.nz/). In fact, give them a yell now on 64 6 769 6600 (well, during NZ business hours would probably be best) and ask whether your no-claims history can be taken into account by insurers here.

rosie631
9th May 2009, 08:16
I've never been asked for proof of address or proof that it's permanent. Maybe different here.

CookMySock
9th May 2009, 15:28
WTF? Define 'many'. What a lovely way to welcome someone to the country.Ah my apologise if I appear unwelcome! Not at all - I just mean that tourists can easily come to grief on our roads if they take them lightly - thats all.

Have a great time (and you will), but just be aware. :hug:

Steve

Kiwi Graham
9th May 2009, 15:56
Your no claims carries over here just get written proof from your insurer. Not aware you need a permanant address, a temp one would do. On a sensible note wouldnt a cage be better first of? for getting furniture and stuff??
Get the bike 10 mins later of course :2thumbsup

marty
9th May 2009, 16:48
Ah my apologise if I appear unwelcome! Not at all - I just mean that tourists can easily come to grief on our roads if they take them lightly - thats all.

Have a great time (and you will), but just be aware. :hug:

Steve

have you ever been to ireland? i doubt it given your response. they actually drive on the left, and have some ideas about driving - unlike many usa/euro/asian tourists

varminter
9th May 2009, 19:46
Top 'o the morning to ya. Your missus wants a car, sorry mate you're dead in the water. How bout a car and a bike;)

martybabe
9th May 2009, 20:01
Yes your no claims counts, remember to bring written evidence or the address of your insurer and they can fax it through.

I'd hire a car for a week or two mate, you'll have an address for your insurance, any money your transferring should have arrived by then, and you can look around for a decent motor and bike without rushing and buying a piece of junk.

Good luck. it's a bloomin nice country.

mujambee
9th May 2009, 20:21
... and have some ideas about driving - unlike many usa/euro/asian tourists

Would you elaborate? ;)

smoky
9th May 2009, 20:42
Why Christchurch - bloody hell - every bloody English, Irish or Scott seems to head to the south - the south might be the warmer climate where you are but ITS THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE - it's cold like where you come from down there
Why shift to an island paradise with near tropicana beaches, great bars, fantastic women, and shift to the coldest parts? Where the woman are best described as robust, bars are smelly and closed by midnight, and everyone is still wearing socks and sandals??? I just don't get it.

marty
10th May 2009, 11:04
Would you elaborate? ;)

i said many. not all. and i have been a position to see it first hand - forgetting what side of the road to drive on, not knowing local rules, driving way too fast for the road type. often resulting in multiple deaths/serious injury. more often though, not, however when 5 people die in 1 crash because dad couldn't remember what side of the road to drive on, or a motorcyclist is killed because someone (again) forgot where they were, i guess focusses some people on the issue of foreign drivers.

mujambee
10th May 2009, 17:47
i said many. not all. and i have been a position to see it first hand - forgetting what side of the road to drive on, not knowing local rules, driving way too fast for the road type. often resulting in multiple deaths/serious injury. more often though, not, however when 5 people die in 1 crash because dad couldn't remember what side of the road to drive on, or a motorcyclist is killed because someone (again) forgot where they were, i guess focusses some people on the issue of foreign drivers.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to know.

I understand what you say, and can see the reasons. Just couldnīt understand why Irish are better. Yes, left driving is a help, but I've always thought that the real cause for trouble is the "give way" rule.

Gangle
12th May 2009, 00:31
Cheers for the replies lads, much appreciated!

Yea I'll be getting a car before the bike alright, probably rent one to get me around for the first while. The bike will come as soon as we find a place to live.

I've been to New Zealand twice so am familiar with the whole driving thing. You guys are a lot better drivers that most over here, a lot of whom were just handed lisences years ago, even if they never drove a car in their life!

Smoky - I know all about the other "better" places to live, and in the future we might end up settling somewhere else, but for now we have to go where the jobs are (I'm an Architectural Technician, shes a Special Needs Teacher) and unfortunately that means a city. Not fond of Auckland and I prefered Christchurch to Wellington.

sinfull
12th May 2009, 01:46
Cheers for the replies lads, much appreciated!

Yea I'll be getting a car before the bike alright, probably rent one to get me around for the first while. The bike will come as soon as we find a place to live.

. Not fond of Auckland and I prefered Christchurch to Wellington.

Mate go have a look through trade me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/)(like ebay) and buy an old shitter for a few hundy, so long as its rego and warrant are up to date ! Drive it till ya sort yaselves out and sell it for the same coin ya paid ! Renting is just gonna eat up precious bike money !

As for the cities you will prolly find ya made a good choice ! Not always the case but you yourself prolly noticed the ppl are friendlier the further south ya go ! Not sure what it is that causes it (perhaps its the heat lol)

varminter
12th May 2009, 19:48
Wellington's not bad, compared to ChCh it's slightly undulating and often has a sea breeze:innocent:

Gangle
13th May 2009, 00:07
Wellington's not bad, compared to ChCh it's slightly undulating and often has a sea breeze:innocent:

Quite the sea breeze if I remember!:p

fredie
14th May 2009, 01:56
you like sheep . ohh . thats the welsh:buggerd:

Pixie
22nd May 2009, 09:04
Why Christchurch - bloody hell - every bloody English, Irish or Scott seems to head to the south - the south might be the warmer climate where you are but ITS THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE - it's cold like where you come from down there
Why shift to an island paradise with near tropicana beaches, great bars, fantastic women, and shift to the coldest parts? Where the woman are best described as robust, bars are smelly and closed by midnight, and everyone is still wearing socks and sandals??? I just don't get it.

Like the Scandinavian pioneers who left their homeland for a less harsh existence - and moved to Minnesota :laugh:

Guzza
24th May 2009, 19:56

And you guys wonder why you need a passport to visit the Mainland now!<_< In any case, one usually only wears socks with his sandals if he intends wear shorts....:msn-wink:

NighthawkNZ
24th May 2009, 20:21
Quite the sea breeze if I remember!:p

Doesn't matter where you move to... all have their good and bad points from weather to friendliness, big smoke grid locked mainic drivers or open space and great motorcycling roads and scenery or ... ... ... blah blah blah

ChCh is okay and has every thing a city of that size needs and should have, but a bit big and flat for my taste but thats me...

YellowDog
24th May 2009, 20:58
Hey Gangle, you will love NZ. It is as Green as Ireland and as Mountainous as Scotland. If you are a 'Townie' then you may find NZ a bit too laid back for you (I can't believe I am saying that to an Irishman). I don't know how well you know your own country but if you head South to County Kerry or Galway, or Cork and meet the friendly trusting village folk down there, well most of NZ is as friendly and welcoming as Ireland (not Dublin).

As for the Roads, they are pretty damn good and you will be pleasantly surprised (heaps better than Irish Roads). NZ is a great biking country and I would recommend bringing your Blackbird (second hand bikes are pricey here) even if it is only to sell once you get here. Make sure you bring your last insurance renewal with you, most insurance companies will accept it as proof of no claims. You generally don't have to prove things out here and Kiwi firms are a lot more trusting than the European ones.

The big thing for you and your missus will be finding acceptable accomodation. Heating and insulation are H U G E issues for Europeans out here. If you are arriving in August, then at least you will be here when it is cold and it will only get better:). If you are looking at buying or renting, prices are starting to bottom out so it may be a good time for you. www.realestate.co.nz is good and so is www.trademe.co.nz for rentals. Best you ask fellow posters about areas. The worst areas here are nothing compared with what you will have seen in Europe. And don't forget, "A happy wife is happy life" so look after her for your own sake.

Another small thing, 'Asians' are not people from the Indian sub-continent, they are people of oriental extraction (I found that confusing).

And another even smaller thing: check out the right of way rule when turning left. Don't find out when a bus runs into your side.

And a final itty bitty thing, there is no gastronomic political correctness. Kiwis eat pies by the dozen. Fantastic!

Good luck :)

Bren
24th May 2009, 22:05
A lot of good folk live in the south island...even if they seem a bit peculiar to you...and Christchurch is NOT the coldest, in fact in summer it can get bloody hot...yeah its a bit nippy in the winter but this bloke has a girl so I expect winter could be quite enjoyable...:laugh:

As for the cities you will prolly find ya made a good choice ! Not always the case but you yourself prolly noticed the ppl are friendlier the further south ya go ! Not sure what it is that causes it (perhaps its the heat lol)
Yep, all good folks...these norf island folks are a worry though...eh Bill....p.s, ya comin on sat?

ya call it a breeze....shit I would hate to see what yer gale is, cos if a breeze can knock up 20ft swells then a gale is gonna produce a frikkin tsunami!

Skunk
24th May 2009, 22:12
Quite the sea breeze if I remember!:pI live in Welly and have been to Christchurch. I rate the wind about the same only Welly's is wet and cold and Chch's is hot and dry. Personally I hate hot and dry. :laugh:

There is a Social Group on here somewhere for foreigners living in Un Zed... At least you'll get their experiences.

sinfull
25th May 2009, 03:46
A sat?

i! Sat ? down south No wait thats the week after awwww sat ? what we doin ? Know its club day sun if yr doin farrk all ! Fun day sunday, bring a trail bike, or there's a few there to be thrashed !

Edit : Awww haha shit i might just walk down !

Gangle
28th May 2009, 07:56
Cheers for the replies lads

YellowDog - cheers for all that mate, you from over here or just traveled around here a lot? Can't wait to get away to a more laid back lifestyle, sick of living in a city (Dublin) and all the shit that goes with it.
Have someone looking at the Blackbird this weekend, if I get the right price I'll let her go, the emigration process has enough paperwork without the hassles of shipping a bike!

We haven't had a summer here for the last 2 years so I'll be happy no matter what the weather or temperature is!

scracha
30th May 2009, 20:02
Dude, sell your blackbird. Buy 3 or 4 cheap 250cc bikes with the money and get them crated over here to sell as they go for stupid money in New Zealand.

You'll love New Zealand, scenery is fantastic but the road surfaces are $hite and the standard of driving/riding is way worse than I encountered in Dublin (can't really comment on the rest of Ireland). Kiwi's are mostly good bastards but turn into homicidal maniacs when driving.