PDA

View Full Version : Computer (linux) help

Brian d marge
10th May 2009, 19:33
Sorry I don't know which section please feel free to move it

Well the %&'()~(&%!!!! at our office finally went 21st century on us and updated the filing system to a web based one ( good you say ,,,there's more )

The %&'())!!!! used windows XP on atom based net books ( I feel sooo unclean using windows ) BUT the best bit there are 5 of us and only 2 computers

so while 2 are working the other two are in breach of their contact ( let alone trying to do any work !)

So, I thought I will bring in my personal PC and ( hey at least I wont be in breach of my contract !)
but:
anyway, the WIFI is passworded, and no they wont give you the password ( fair enough I can understand why ) So I need to get this pass word. so that I can complete my work with out doing unpaid overtime ...and lots off it everyday

Secondly the web page is controlled by something

when you click on the browser you instantly go to the log in page and cannot access any other kind of web page , Firewall ? anti virus ? software ?

first things first

Can I use ubuntu on a pen drive in a net book so that I dont feel unclean ,,, if so how ( I only have Linux at home and have never needed to look for the usb version

is it possible to access the internet from the pen drive ?

Stephen

ps ...what do u do when idiots are in control of the ship !

Gubb
10th May 2009, 19:37
Won't they suspect that your hacking their network if you get all your work done without using the computers?

riffer
10th May 2009, 19:40
Depends.

Not enough info here probably. If you're having to log on to a Windows Domain where you've got a Domain Controller controlling access through a proxy server you're stuffed through Ubuntu anyway as your login is what grants you the access to different areas.

Sounds like your proxy server isn't granting correct access.

Try petulance. IT staff just love it.

RantyDave
10th May 2009, 19:46
there are 5 of us and only 2 computers
Surely what they need to do is go down the shop and buy three computers? Do not understand...

Dave

mashman
10th May 2009, 19:49
could be that they have some form of authentication software embedded in the notebooks you use. If that's the case, then you are most definately stuffed... I know our company has it!!!

crash harry
10th May 2009, 19:56
Can't help with all of your questions, but at least a couple...

Secondly the web page is controlled by something

when you click on the browser you instantly go to the log in page and cannot access any other kind of web page , Firewall ? anti virus ? software ?
Sounds like a modal dialog box blocking out the rest of the browser while you log in? Shouldn't be a problem - should work just the same from any browser in any OS.

first things first

Can I use ubuntu on a pen drive in a net book so that I dont feel unclean ,,, if so how ( I only have Linux at home and have never needed to look for the usb version

is it possible to access the internet from the pen drive ?

Stephen

Yep, sure is. Ubuntu Netbook Remix is the business. Needs a 1Gig flash drive, just download from ubuntu.com and follow the instructions (easy as). The only downside is that you can't (easily) save anything when you're running off a flash drive.

first things first ps ...what do u do when idiots are in control of the ship !

ABANDON SHIP!

Brian d marge
10th May 2009, 20:09
Surely what they need to do is go down the shop and buy three computers? Do not understand...

Dave

neither do we , but they are a bunch of Re%%&''ds trust me they are wired wrong ....Management that is

Stephen

Brian d marge
10th May 2009, 20:14
can't help with all of your questions, but at least a couple...

Ta

Sounds like a modal dialog box blocking out the rest of the browser while you log in? Shouldn't be a problem - should work just the same from any browser in any OS.

Can you explain more , is this the same as Riffer is saying?

Yep, sure is. Ubuntu Netbook Remix is the business. Needs a 1Gig flash drive, just download from ubuntu.com and follow the instructions (easy as). The only downside is that you can't (easily) save anything when you're running off a flash drive.

can I login using the pen drive and get Pron ( this after all is the key point ) can I gain internet acces to get the wobblies on the screen !

ABANDON SHIP! Tempting :2thumbsup

pzkpfw
10th May 2009, 20:17
What's the fifth person doing?

Brian d marge
10th May 2009, 20:20
please

I'm too young to work , I just want to surf the net looking at beautiful young ladies and using google earth to look up web addresses of naughty places in Pataya !

No self respecting person could ever doubt that this is what the net was made for !:calm::whistle:

Stephen

Brian d marge
10th May 2009, 20:21
What's the fifth person doing?

chatting up the staff in the typist pool

Stephen

RantyDave
10th May 2009, 21:15
chatting up the staff in the typist pool
A typing pool? I think I've found the problem, you've gone to work in 1963. The computers you do have, do they look like this?

Dave

Brian d marge
10th May 2009, 21:23
A typing pool? I think I've found the problem, you've gone to work in 1963. The computers you do have, do they look like this?

Daveooohhhh white out ,,,,,mmnnnn nice

Actually more like this http://www.harvestofhistory.org/assets/object-images/main/slate.jpg

Stephen