PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Starting my ZXR 250C

RPM91
15th March 2005, 14:38
hey guys, i dunno if its me but ive just purchased a 1993 zxr 250 wif 11,000 ks on it, but when i start it in the morning i have to use full choke and keep opening and closing the throtle to get it started and wen the motor is running and i move the throtle it will stall imediatly and i have to do the 1st process agian of having the choke on full and opening and closing the throtle repediatly till the bike is idling fine then i let it run on quarter choke for a abit then take of choke and let the bike site idling for 2 mins then i just take it easy untill its fully warmed up and the bike runs like a dream. Im not sure how these bikes are supposed to run but is that normal ??? i guess since the bikes been sitting for all that time with only 11,000 ks on it, it just needs a good run somewhere, but if anyone can help please reply

That Guy
15th March 2005, 14:43
Maybe a commer or a full stop and I'd be able to read what your problem is but as it is it's a bit hard to understand the whole problem as there seems to be one long sentence and picking out the problems and symptons requires so much re-reading I'm tired already but just as a guess I'd say your plugs need replacing and also maybe your HT leads plus also it sounds like the choke might be flooding it a bit but now I've lost track of where I started so need a break. Phew.

RPM91
15th March 2005, 14:47
Maybe a commer or a full stop and I'd be able to read what your problem is but as it is it's a bit hard to understand the whole problem as there seems to be one long sentence and picking out the problems and symptons requires so much re-reading I'm tired already but just as a guess I'd say your plugs need replacing and also maybe your HT leads plus also it sounds like the choke might be flooding it a bit but now I've lost track of where I started so need a break. Phew.

narhh it wuldnt be the plugs it had new ones put on it when it was serviced by the dealer, its a fresh import

That Guy
15th March 2005, 14:53
Are you sure? Even if they're new might be fouled by flooding/too rich. Take one out and see what colour it is.

Given that it runs well once warm (therefore meaning fuel supply ok, CDI/pick ups ok, battery ok etc) I'd be looking at the choke being too rich, also having the effect of fouling the plugs meaning they only start sparking properly once hot and able to burn off all the extra fuel/carbon build up. You should be able to start it with no throttle and the choke even only half on at this time of the year.

Ghost Lemur
15th March 2005, 15:04
If you bought it from a dealer. Take it back to them. Let them worry about what it is. That's one of the reasons to fork out the extra dosh and buy from a dealer.

カワサキキド
15th March 2005, 18:12
I'll come round and have a look if you want.

Racey Rider
15th March 2005, 19:14
What fuel are you running it on? 91 or 96?

RPM91
15th March 2005, 20:13
unleaded 91 octane

BNZ
15th March 2005, 22:20
unleaded 91 octane

Why? Start running her on 96/98, and not shell optimax.

RPM91
16th March 2005, 21:38
where do you get 98 ? neva seen it before, only 96

FlyingDutchMan
16th March 2005, 21:47
Since I've been running my bike on 91 it has the same consumption, but revs way easier now and doesn't backfire anymore. Better for my bike and cheaper. 91 burns hotter and faster than 96. Faster good for very high revs and hotter is good for cleaning plugs. Then again it depends on which fuel the carbs have been tuned with.

Posh Tourer :P
17th March 2005, 02:18
where do you get 98 ? neva seen it before, only 96

98 is BP's standard ultra fuel octane

Jonty
17th March 2005, 07:49
It should start first time with a little choke. Mine will start on the coldest morning with quarter choke, first time every time, but if you give it any throttle during start up it will almost always flood and you'll have to nurse it along until it starts.

I would check the plugs and your choke :spudwave: Also check if the stand is down (zxr's will stall when you take off in first and it's down :whistle: )

カワサキキド
17th March 2005, 19:02
We don't get 98 down here Chch, and the bike is starting fine now after he took it for a decent ride, it just hadn't been taken for a decent run in a while.
It feels a bit quicker than my bike and apparently the c model is a bit smaller than the a's.

250learna
27th March 2005, 01:41
are c models realy smaller than a? I also herd that they are faster...? Can anyone shed some light?!
Also as far as i know, if the bike is made for 100(what they use in jap) it should be better to use 98 or 96 if 98 is not an option because it means that it takes that much more befor the explosion happens which should stop "premature"...erm explosion

Wenier
5th April 2005, 16:16
Since I've been running my bike on 91 it has the same consumption, but revs way easier now and doesn't backfire anymore. Better for my bike and cheaper. 91 burns hotter and faster than 96. Faster good for very high revs and hotter is good for cleaning plugs. Then again it depends on which fuel the carbs have been tuned with.

My old one ran on 91 or 96 or higher fine, but if your using 91 and its a high revving bike (19000RPM) then you have a higher chance of detonation with the lower octane rating so youll need to be careful with that.

Phenoix
10th April 2005, 21:53
Im running 91, and it seems to run fine. Tho it does heat up if left idling in traffic (Damm Auckland)
As for the a model vs C, I've been told the A has wider wheels and is about 30Kg's heavy, so that would make the C run faster due to the lower weight

R6_kid
15th April 2005, 10:17
hmmm, im running on 91, thats what the mechanic said to do. Also doesnt the power drop off kinda sharply after 16k anyway so you souldnt be reaching 19k unless ur a fuktard that wants a piston through your tank (now thats sure to attain detonation!!!