PDA

View Full Version : 2009 CBR1000RR Fireblade

Lula
16th May 2009, 21:31
OMG! I think I might be in love :love:

Took the new CBR1000RR for a ride today with the crew from Honda Hamilton on one of their fortnightly winter rides (and if you're keen to join them the next one is the 30th May, 2pm at the Honda Hamilton shop). The route allowed me to put this puppy through its paces - I was so not disappointed!

It was interesting to see that Pete who owns the shop chooses the CBR1000RR as his weapon of choice, so I was already thinking I must be onto a good thing. I also noticed that the guys on these bikes where on the smallish side so might be one for the girls seriously consider as it weighs practically nothing at 200kgs wet and it’s low enough to touch the ground easily.

Everything about this bike has still got me grinning. I dig that slipper clutch!!! With 210hp it has sooooo much power it just sneaks up on you. It corners beautifully and is so easy to handle. Then just as you go up the revs it makes this wicked sound as the exhaust opens up, it was heaven to my ears.

Never before with all the bikes I have been test riding to date has my little Triumph been under such threat - this could possibly be my next bike. Now if I’m to get one I just have think about the cool $26,000 plus radar detector.

There's a review of the new CBR1000RR by Terry Stevenson on page 44 in the June issue of Motorcycle Trader if you're interested.

Tomorrow I am going to take out the CBR1000RR ABS model and will play it off against 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1. I am wondering if I will still be just as in love this time tomorrow because I've already heard good things about the new R1, only time will tell . . .

cs363
16th May 2009, 21:34
yep....that's the only problem with having access to lots of different new model bikes - the constantly changing affections.... :lol:

dipshit
16th May 2009, 21:39
Just make absolutely sure they have the oil burning issue totally under control with these bikes before you shell out 27k on one.

Otherwise they sound like awesome machines!

Sidewinder
16th May 2009, 21:39
haha yea petes a fooking cool guy. well hes my dad!
um love it dont have 210hp, its got more like 175hp if your lucky. my bosses race bike has 207hp at the wheel and thats had all the work done to it lol and its fooking fast!

NZsarge
16th May 2009, 21:58
I say try em all if you're thinking of purchasing, ZX and GSX-R are mad value for money, R1 ain't to bad either. If you love your triple you might just really dig the R1. Enjoy the ride. :niceone:

Lula
16th May 2009, 22:07
um love it dont have 210hp, its got more like 175hp if your lucky. my bosses race bike has 207hp at the wheel and thats had all the work done to it lol and its fooking fast!

Nice always looking to see who knows their stuff, I'm pretty sure it's 178hp. But thanks for the correction darling glad to know you care so much x

Sidewinder
17th May 2009, 11:22
Nice always looking to see who knows their stuff, I'm pretty sure it's 178hp. But thanks for the correction darling glad to know you care so much x

no problem hunny! see you around maybe?

Pussy
17th May 2009, 12:14
Just make absolutely sure they have the oil burning issue totally under control with these bikes before you shell out 27k on one.

If Honda have made the honing marks a bit shallower than the grand canyon it will go some way to addressing the oil issue

SixPackBack
17th May 2009, 12:39
* Lula * > Before you get apoplectic talk to mentalfacility. The poor bastard has already had one CBR1000 replaced due to excessive oil consumption and is now experiencing the same issue with the second bike.
Perhaps Madam could write a short article on the oil consumption issue?. Start by asking Honda Hamilton for an explanation.......odds are your bullshit detector will be in melt down. For further proof check out dedicated CBR sites [http://www.1000rr.net/...for instance] to get a true appreciation of the collective pain.

MentalFacility
17th May 2009, 12:55
2009 seem to have no oil burning issues, but i would talk about it with the dealer anyway. Make sure that if it does happen your arse is covered.

Lula
17th May 2009, 18:50
For those of you who are wondering the verdict is out. I was introduced to the YZF-R1 and my love affair seems short-lived :eek:

I feel like a dirty bike hopper, but I am going to have another play on them and see who still pleases me the most by the end of the week. At the moment that R1 holds the strongest hand, it’s definitely got some goods. To be fair to the class I will patiently await my GSX-R1000 and Z1000 before making a definite choice, but I can possibly see a brand new 1000cc purchase for this summer :woohoo:

This weekend I will be testing the CBR600 against the Ninja ZX-6R, so who knows being a woman I will probably change my mind :laugh:

(My full comparison of the CBR1000 and R1 will be published in the July issue of Motorcycle Trader)

cs363
17th May 2009, 18:55
yep....that's the only problem with having access to lots of different new model bikes - the constantly changing affections.... :lol:

For those of you who are wondering the verdict is out. I was introduced to the YZF-R1 and my love affair seems short-lived :eek:.

:lol: I rest my case...

Lula
17th May 2009, 19:02
:lol: I rest my case...

Ok, you've made your point :doh:
Maybe I'll building my own bike with all the bits I love about the ones I've tested?
Actually I've been meaning to start a rat bike for the Cold Kiwi so it could be my first attempt.

DMNTD
17th May 2009, 19:04
2009 R1 FTW!!!!! :bleh:

cs363
17th May 2009, 19:06
Ok, you've made your point :doh:
Maybe I'll building my own bike with all the bits I love about the ones I've tested?
Actually I've been meaning to start a rat bike for the Cold Kiwi so it could be my first attempt.

Now that sounds like an interesting concept, especially if you could get MTN to pay for it.... :laugh:

Lula
17th May 2009, 19:09
Now that sounds like an interesting concept, especially if you could get MTN to pay for it.... :laugh:

It's been discussed and I'm keen to do it. Know anyone that would like to do a rat bike project with me?

I want to build it mainly for the burn-out competition this year.

cs363
17th May 2009, 19:16
It's been discussed and I'm keen to do it. Know anyone that would like to do a rat bike project with me?

I want to build it mainly for the burn-out competition this year.

I'd be keen, but I'm way too far away.....besides I think I'm about to be crushed in the stampede of locals offering to assist.... :lol:

Lula
17th May 2009, 19:25
I'd be keen, but I'm way too far away.....besides I think I'm about to be crushed in the stampede of locals offering to assist.... :lol:

Well I might start a thread and see who is actually keen to help build one, then we could do the big reveal at the Cold Kiwi!
I'm also looking to sponsor a new competition at the Cold Kiwi but just haven't thought of the concept yet.

SixPackBack
17th May 2009, 19:33
Well I might start a thread and see who is actually keen to help build one, then we could do the big reveal at the Cold Kiwi!
I'm also looking to sponsor a new competition at the Cold Kiwi but just haven't thought of the concept yet.

Are you keen to use your resources to find out why so many CBR1000's use more oil than gas? Are you keen to use your journalistic acumen to then write a balanced article?

Deano
17th May 2009, 19:39
Wasn't it this time last year you were bagging Gixxers ?

My CBR thou doesn't use any oil and none I know either so what's your agenda this time ?

SixPackBack
17th May 2009, 19:47
Wasn't it this time last year you were bagging Gixxers ?

My CBR thou doesn't use any oil and none I know either so what's your agenda this time ?

Ahhh the great kiwi sheeple rollover, rather stick up for the brand in some kind of misplaced loyalty than face the truth-consumers are being ripped off. The K5-K6 deserved bagging and so does the CBR1000 08. No agenda, just fact. One had a questionable frame the other, high oil usage
Have a search. www.1000rr.net (http://www.1000rr.net)

Sidewinder
17th May 2009, 19:49
fucking aye, if you get a bike i can help you build it, i just dont have the bling for another bike atm!:mobile::mobile:

dipshit
17th May 2009, 19:54

It doesn't effect the 05 CBRs... The new 08 ones are having the issue.

Lula
17th May 2009, 19:56
Are you keen to use your resources to find out why so many CBR1000's use more oil than gas? Are you keen to use your journalistic acumen to then write a balanced article?

Yeap, I am keen.
Will call on the resource gods and find out what the deal is with the oil usage.

The review of this model has already been done in the mag so I just had to ride it to see what I thought of the new ABS addition (saw no major oil consumption in either standard or ABS model).

If you look at my review on the Suzuki Gladius SV650 on page 43 of the June issue of Motorcycle Trader you will see it clearly states the words 'the disappointments'. So I provide the good, the bad and the ugly.

SixPackBack
17th May 2009, 20:18
Yeap, I am keen.
Will call on the resource gods and find out what the deal is with the oil usage.

The review of this model has already been done in the mag so I just had to ride it to see what I thought of the new ABS addition (saw no major oil consumption in either standard or ABS model).

If you look at my review on the Suzuki Gladius SV650 on page 43 of the June issue of Motorcycle Trader you will see it clearly states the words 'the disappointments'. So I provide the good, the bad and the ugly.

Fantastic Lula. Measured quantifiable feedback is valued by the general public. I would be very interested to hear what your magazine editor has to say on the issue and how much pressure Honda exerts to bury the topic. The K5-K6 frame issue is also a topic that has been swept under the rug and deserves some attention. Good on you for taking on this task.

Lula
17th May 2009, 20:25
Fantastic Lula. Measured quantifiable feedback is valued by the general public. I would be very interested to hear what your magazine editor has to say on the issue and how much pressure Honda exerts to bury the topic. The K5-K6 frame issue is also a topic that has been swept under the rug and deserves some attention. Good on you for taking on this task.

Thanks I will do what I can.
You know you and any others out there are welcome to write in and ask yourselves. It's a section called a 'Letter to the editor' and the email address is: editor@motorcycletrader.co.nz

cs363
17th May 2009, 20:54
Before you start digging too deep from the wrong end though, be aware that this 'issue' is not as big as some may make out - spend some time searching the forums and it seems some '08 1000RR owners have had problems whilst just as many if not more haven't. Some people are putting it down to incorrect break-in or wrong oil usage.
Sounds to me like it's a minor issue that some rather vocal people have blown out of proportion on the internet (as they do...)
Not denying there is probably some fire behind the smoke, but lets get a balanced viewpoint eh, rather than the rabid conspiracy theorists one...
Some people on internet forums just seem to live for this kind of shit.

jafar
17th May 2009, 21:04

Wet tee shirt perhaps :bleh:

Lula
17th May 2009, 21:20
Wet tee shirt perhaps :bleh:

Jafar I think it's cold enough without it being wet!

jafar
17th May 2009, 21:22
Jafar I think it's cold enough without it being wet!

Would warm the guys up though :devil2:

Deano
17th May 2009, 21:22
Ahhh the great kiwi sheeple rollover, rather stick up for the brand in some kind of misplaced loyalty than face the truth-consumers are being ripped off. The K5-K6 deserved bagging and so does the CBR1000 08. No agenda, just fact. One had a questionable frame the other, high oil usage
Have a search. www.1000rr.net (http://www.1000rr.net)

Sorry SPB - I'm ignorant to any oil issues of the 08 CBR so stand corrected if that is the case.

I test rode one and it was awesome. Restored some faith power wise.

Nothing wrong with being loyal though.

It doesn't effect the 05 CBRs... The new 08 ones are having the issue.

Bugger. Is it quite common ?

boomer
17th May 2009, 21:24
Nothing wrong with being loyal though.

i knew u were a homo

cs363
17th May 2009, 21:27
Bugger. Is it quite common ?

Well, as I posted earlier - depends who you listen to. Appears that it's only the '08 model that has had issues and there is much debate on how widespread the problem is and whether it's a Honda issue or owner (break in/oil selection etc) issue.

Lula
17th May 2009, 21:33
fucking aye, if you get a bike i can help you build it, i just dont have the bling for another bike atm!:mobile::mobile:

Here's your chance to assist two Damsels in distress: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=99492

Deano
17th May 2009, 21:37
i knew u were a homo

I love you too mate. How you doing ?

boomer
17th May 2009, 21:45
I love you too mate. How you doing ?

Good thanks Deano; being an x homo myself as u know.

lol..

AllanB
17th May 2009, 21:55
Meh - Suzuki had issues with Bandit 1200's around 2002 ish = particularly in the US - lots of denial. I've a Bike magazine here and their long term Triumph triple Tiger seized - apparently they had not checked the oil for a couple of thousand kms and it drunk it all! In both cases the factory stated acceptable oil use in the industry as up to 1l per 1000 kms!

F-that I say.

That was acceptable in 1957 no doubt.

In NZ we are pretty well covered with the consumers act. It just may take a bit of time to get things sorted if there are issues.

Running in correctly.

A bike magazine gets a new bike to test - in many cases brand spanking.
They carefully run in it - yeah right! They give it heaps!
Do they burn oil super early?
Do they crap out early?

Someone knows.

A demo bike tends to get run in 'fast' :devil2:

I know of a few who have purchased them with zero issues. In fact the demo bikes tend to get extra care - more oil changes etc.

Sports bikes. This years fancy............... next years.....

Wait 4 months or so the 2010 models will be out. :niceone:

Pussy
17th May 2009, 22:26
As I mentioned earlier.... the honing on the 08 'Blade's bores is VERY coarse(read: deep).
The plating on the bores is very hard
It is not surprising they are burning oil... the oil rings would never bed-in properly

Lula
17th May 2009, 22:35
I also forgot to mention that the ABS version of the new CBR1000RR is amazing.

Today was perfect weather for trying out how the brakes handle and these are so smooth with the right amount of tension. I jumped on the front a few times at speed to see if it would lock up and plant the nose into the ground, instead nothing but controlled even braking in the wet. Felt good.

cs363
17th May 2009, 23:08
Meh - Suzuki had issues with Bandit 1200's around 2002 ish = particularly in the US - lots of denial. I've a Bike magazine here and their long term Triumph triple Tiger seized - apparently they had not checked the oil for a couple of thousand kms and it drunk it all! In both cases the factory stated acceptable oil use in the industry as up to 1l per 1000 kms!

F-that I say.

That was acceptable in 1957 no doubt.

In NZ we are pretty well covered with the consumers act. It just may take a bit of time to get things sorted if there are issues.

Running in correctly.

A bike magazine gets a new bike to test - in many cases brand spanking.
They carefully run in it - yeah right! They give it heaps!
Do they burn oil super early?
Do they crap out early?

Someone knows.

A demo bike tends to get run in 'fast' :devil2:

I know of a few who have purchased them with zero issues. In fact the demo bikes tend to get extra care - more oil changes etc.

Sports bikes. This years fancy............... next years.....

On most forums the general consensus seems to be that the bikes that were run in hard didn't have issues, whereas the ones that were pussied did.
:) Which brings me to:

As I mentioned earlier.... the honing on the 08 'Blade's bores is VERY coarse(read: deep).
The plating on the bores is very hard
It is not surprising they are burning oil... the oil rings would never bed-in properly

Agreed as I saw the same engines you did, however one was worse than the other and that could have just been a particular batch. So whilst we have witnessed that particular issue it doesn't neccessarily mean that all have that problem.

SixPackBack
18th May 2009, 06:41
Thanks I will do what I can.
You know you and any others out there are welcome to write in and ask yourselves. It's a section called a 'Letter to the editor' and the email address is: editor@motorcycletrader.co.nz

Check the in tray sometime this week.

Before you start digging too deep from the wrong end though, be aware that this 'issue' is not as big as some may make out - spend some time searching the forums and it seems some '08 1000RR owners have had problems whilst just as many if not more haven't. Some people are putting it down to incorrect break-in or wrong oil usage.
Sounds to me like it's a minor issue that some rather vocal people have blown out of proportion on the internet (as they do...)
Not denying there is probably some fire behind the smoke, but lets get a balanced viewpoint eh, rather than the rabid conspiracy theorists one...
Some people on internet forums just seem to live for this kind of shit.

Emotive posts without fact are of little help........

Sorry SPB - I'm ignorant to any oil issues of the 08 CBR so stand corrected if that is the case.

I test rode one and it was awesome. Restored some faith power wise.

Nothing wrong with being loyal though..........

Not ridden one yet Deano [on my list...]. They sound like a great bike. [which makes the issue all the more disappointing].

cs363
18th May 2009, 07:34
Emotive posts without fact are of little help........[/FONT]

Like yours?

I'm not denying there have been cases of oil consumption, in fact as previously stated I've witnessed it first hand, what I am saying is it may not be quite the big issue you are making out - you posted a link, I searched -that's the impression I came away with as there are more people posting that they haven't experienced problems than there are with problems.
If as you stated there are facts then it would do your case well to actually post them, rather than the alarmist post you did make.
All I'm saying is that if Lula is going to do an investigation it should be balanced rather than rushing in wailing about a problem that may not be as big as it appears on the internet. If it is just a vocal minority with the problem and Honda has a fix then it's not a major issue, if on the other hand they are all lemons then we definitely need to know about it.
Dismissive posts as above not backed up by any substance do your case no good.

Lula
18th May 2009, 16:35
For those of you that are interested just posted pics of the CBR1000RR and R1 test bikes under my album titled 'Slow Rides'.

Just statics at the moment, will have riding shots and video of me testing them to follow soon :scooter:

NZsarge
18th May 2009, 16:39
For those of you that are interested just posted pics of the CBR1000RR and R1 test bikes under my album titled 'Slow Rides'.

Just statics at the moment, will have riding shots and video of me testing them to follow soon :scooter:

Is there a review of the R1 in the works?

Lula
18th May 2009, 16:42
Is there a review of the R1 in the works?

Sure is but one thou at a time.
Don't worry I'm having trouble containing myself over that R1!!!! :eek:

NZsarge
18th May 2009, 16:45
Sure is but one thou at a time.
Don't worry I'm having trouble containing myself over that R1!!!! :eek:

Given what's been said about the motor on the new R1 and given that you own a triple it'll be interesting to read your thoughts.

carver
18th May 2009, 18:20

haha, in your usual style....

re-build my BWS100's clutch!

Lula
19th May 2009, 14:00
Here are some pics of me testing the 2009 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade.

If you want to see me on the 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 you'll find those pics under my album titled 'slow rides' on my profile page.

My comparison of these two models will be published in the July issue of Motorcycle Trader which is on sale June 13th.

Pussy
19th May 2009, 14:46
Colour scheme looks good on that one, Lula.
Called in to the local Honda shop this arvo, they have a Repsol 09, a red/black, and a black ABS version there.
If Honda have sorted the honing issue, they will have a bloody good bike

Maha
19th May 2009, 15:01
Called in to the local Honda shop this arvo, they have a Repsol 09, a red/black, and a black ABS version there.
If Honda have sorted the honing issue, they will have a bloody good bike

The Repsol @ $27K???....Gorgeous though.

Pussy
19th May 2009, 15:10
The Repsol @ $27K???....Gorgeous though.
Yep... getting up there a bit, eh Maha?
Nice looking bike though!

Swoop
19th May 2009, 15:37
If we are talking about Honda, I am getting more bored ("borederer"?) over the past few years. Their socks need a serious pulling upwards.

I have to disagree there mate. It looks boring in the extreme.

carver
19th May 2009, 17:29
i think some of you need to dish out some riding tips, like how to change gears etc....

Lula
19th May 2009, 21:15
i think some of you need to dish out some riding tips, like how to change gears etc....

Here's some riding tips for you. Firstly remove the training wheels, tuck in shoelaces, gloves can add additional protection if it is warranted, when riding straight - look straight ahead. Keep the elbows and knees loose.

Give a lot of praise for every improvement. Well done carver :clap:

carver
20th May 2009, 18:13
Here's some riding tips for you. Firstly remove the training wheels, tuck in shoelaces, gloves can add additional protection if it is warranted, when riding straight - look straight ahead. Keep the elbows and knees loose.

Give a lot of praise for every improvement. Well done carver :clap:

ok, thats very helpful, my mummy still has to hold the bike up while i ride along though.

ok-i got some for you.
press the button on the lower right hand switch block to start the engine.
if it does not have one, then you should get off it and find another bike to ride.

Lula
20th May 2009, 22:19
ok, thats very helpful, my mummy still has to hold the bike up while i ride along though.

ok-i got some for you.
press the button on the lower right hand switch block to start the engine.
if it does not have one, then you should get off it and find another bike to ride.

Ok here's a tip for you - try replacing your seat with a fishing rod

limbimtimwim
20th May 2009, 22:28
Here is one for me.

Eat a fireblade. It cuts AND burns.