PDA

View Full Version : Thailand urges manufacturers to offer “trade-in” on two-strokes to cut pollution

Bob
17th March 2005, 01:10
The Thai government is urging manufacturers to offer a trade-in of 7,500 Baht (USD 195) of credit against a four-stroke bike, in return for handing in their old two-stroke bikes.

The idea to to help reduce Bangkok’s choking levels of air pollution.

Tiger Motor Co., Ltd. has offered 2,000 bikes for the program and other motorcycle makers may join the campaign, the report said, quoting Aphichai Chawacharoenphan, director-general of the Pollution Control Department.

Participants will also be offered loans at lower-than-market interest rates for the purchase of the new bikes.

The department wants to get 10,000 two-strokes off the streets in Bangkok and nearby areas. There are at least 100,000 of the bikes in the area, according to reports.

The motorbikes will be dismantled, their parts recycled and engines destroyed.

Motu
17th March 2005, 06:41
Better start filling the shed with 2 strokes - they'll be a collectors item soon,that FA50 is gunna be worth something one day....

Ixion
17th March 2005, 08:03
Gr. Me likes two strokes. Two strokers good. Silly :tugger: :tugger: greenies.

thehollowmen
17th March 2005, 08:12
Gr. Me likes two strokes. Two strokers good. Silly :tugger: :tugger: greenies.

Two strokers are good, lots of fun, but when you've got so many... oh walking out of an air conditioned (FILTERED!!!) building to the street.. you almost choke on the smog.

On a calm day some low areas are foggy because of the amount of smog... and people who spend too much time on the street (taxi drivers, couriers etc) wear dustmasks...

yeah

I'll be glad if they can clean it up...