PDA

View Full Version : Sunbeamland Motorcycle & Pioneering Museum, Northland

jazbug5
17th March 2005, 10:48
Hope this is the right place to put this: figured that as this is a destination rather than an actual product, reviews wasn't the right place.
Hope I didn't done wrong...

Right: first of all, this quirky wee place can be found about 15k from Paihia, heading along SH11, right after Lemmon's hill, just as you descend into the valley where the railway track is. On your right, watch for the sign and the vintage bike chained to it. (A Spagthorpe Wheezehound..?)
I managed to pass it on my way to and from work many times (don't ask why...) before finally deciding life was too short and I'd best go and have a look.
I am so glad I did.
It's run by an extremely friendly, mostly harmless nutter whose name I all of a sudden have forgotten *o the shame*. He was so delighted to see someone on a bike arrive (especially one of a venerable age, I think!) that he got me a mug of complimentary coffee and gave me a wee bit of a tour.
It's a collection best described as 'eclectic', with a decent sized section on the ground floor dedicated to war and the experiences of Kiwi soldiers. He's not afraid to allow his own opinions to show, but it's respectful of the men and fascinating overall: a lot of the ordinary sorts of things families might have kept, photographs etc, in particular a cabinet of mementos from the Christmas Armistice. Also on this side are photos and items depicting the use of bikes in warfare. The other 2/3 of the ground floor is all mainly British bikes (excepting an old printing press and a wall where he's done a thing about Propaganda - oh, and also a kind of tribute to a local eccentric proto-conservationist/hoarder).
Ariels, Nortons, Sunbeams (of course), and, I think one or two Enfields. Possibly others that I can't remember. *Damn my misspent youth...*
I wish I knew more about vintage bikes, but rest assured- this is a damned fine collection and will bring tears to the eyes of those who care about them.
Upstairs is a mad sort of chaotic attic arrangement, with a couple of cabinets of random objects I think may be family keepsakes, and stacks and stacks of old magazines- most of which, from memory are motorcycle enthusiast from the '50s - '70s. Honestly, you could get lost for hours in this place. Bring energy bars and water.
Even better than the feeling that no security guard is going to leap out at you and tear your throat out for getting too close to the exhibits (although, obviously- use your common sense) is the friendly eccentric that owns it. He's very knowledgeable and keen to chat about any and everything there.
The highlight for me was when I was hopping on the 'wee n' to head home, and he came barrelling over waving his arms: he was about to fire up the old steam engine they'd been working on, and would I like a ride on it? Um. Let's see... nanosecond over, I sprinted over to the venerable old painted lady (built in 1903 in Kent for tree clearing in Invercargill) and hopped on beside his Scouse mechanic/mate, and off we went, round the field past an assortment of bemused cows and ducks and then back to the yard, where he was about to use the Engine to try and shift an old steamroller thingy up the rise. At which point I got roped in to video the 1st... 2nd...3rd... and 4th attempts. None of which were successful, what with chains and then the hawser snapping, but was very entertaining to watch. Except, probably, for him- but if he was about to lose it, he betrayed not a tremble. So, three hours after wandering in for a quick 'look-see' I bumbled off, vowing to write about the place on KB just as soon as I got back. Well, despite the delay, here 'tis at last..
Fantastic place, go, it has assorted tame animals to delight the kiddies also.
Can't do it enough justice.

Anyone else been?

Open 10am-4pm Friday - Monday
Or by appointment 09 4040154
email sunbeams@igrin.co.nz

jazbug5
17th March 2005, 10:49
Oh, yes, and is there a register of places where you can recommend bike-friendly places to stay? There must be, but can't find it. Thanks!
*Over and out*

Madguitarist!
17th March 2005, 11:50
Thanks for that jazbug, sounds mighty interesting and would make for a nice whole day ride from orklund!! WIll do that after me welly trip easter weekend and maybe we can hook up for a coffee if you have time?? :niceone:

jazbug5
17th March 2005, 12:32
You going to that Tulsi thing, or have I got me dates muxed ip?
Always game for coffee, either way!

Madguitarist!
17th March 2005, 13:30
You going to that Tulsi thing, or have I got me dates muxed ip?
Always game for coffee, either way!

Yip, will be there alright!! :niceone:
Followed by alot of :apint:

Yeah! :2thumbsup

badlieutenant
17th March 2005, 17:19
Right: first of all, this quirky wee place can be found about 15k from Paihia, heading along SH11, right after Lemmon's hill, just as you descend into the valley where the railway track is. On your right, watch for the sign and the vintage bike chained to it. (A Spagthorpe Wheezehound..?)
I managed to pass it on my way to and from work many times (don't ask why...) before finally deciding life was too short and I'd best go and have a look.

or if your heading from auckland to paihia, once you have gone past Kawakawa and over a single lane bridge it will be the first property on the left after the railway tracks (just before the infamous lemons hill) :niceone: nice wirte up there jaz, i live down the road must go and have a look sometime :yeah:

jazbug5
17th March 2005, 17:29
Do you really, Bad? Small world!

MrMelon
17th March 2005, 17:49
Woah I didn't know that place existed, I might have to check it out next time i'm up.

Motu
17th March 2005, 18:23
I've known about it,but never gone,I know about a lot of things and never go there....Gotta be done though now.

I was really impressed with the Dargaville Museum,stayed a lot longer than I thought I would.They have made a really good Gum Digger exibition,someone,ones have made faithfull copies of all the Gum Diggers gear,so they are new,the old stuff is there and murals on the walls with all the equipment being used.

So Jaz...where abouts in Northland is Wellington? Have you moved,holiday?

What?
17th March 2005, 20:13
Yeah, I posted about this place about a year ago. Well worth the effort, as is the museum just south of the Karikari peninsula turn-off.

here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=340&highlight=paihia