PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1

Lula
21st May 2009, 13:35
I first got to see the reworked 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 last year when it was revealed by Valentino Rossi when attending a Yamaha dinner while I was at Phillip Island for the Moto GP (and yes I got to meet Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo, Colin Edwards and James Toseland. See my column in the Nov 08 issue of Motorcycle Trader).

The bike looked hot then and now that I’ve ridden it, it's just got even hotter.
I'm not going to give away too much because I want you to read the comparison I’m writing of the YZF-R1 up against the CBR1000RR which will be published in the July issue of Motorcycle Trader.

But I am going to tell you that it definitely rides like it’s on rails, it’s got so much forward impulsion it made me scream many times with joy! :eek::eek::eek:

One of the cool things about this bike is its chip controlled throttle which has a standard setting, B option making it a slightly calmer creature and A for race mode. It’s 180hp, 206kg dripping wet and will make a cool $23,000 dent in your wallet. These are definately magnificent times to be a fan of motorcycles :Punk:

CookMySock
21st May 2009, 13:57
Thats very cool how you raise your eyebrow toward the inside of the corner like that. Mmmm, nice.

Steve

Sparky Bills
21st May 2009, 14:04
PFFFT!! Buy a Honda.... :2guns:

Dear I say it... I actually really like the R1's. After owning a 99 model I have always had a soft spot for them :confused:

Del Fuego
21st May 2009, 15:17
True story!

The new R1 is BADASS! sorry to jack the thread... and if this is naughty someone can moderate it. However if you don't want to wait till July for a review (ah magazines... the wave of the past) Click the link

http://www.themotorcyclereview.com/component/content/article/202-yamaha/384-2009-yamaha-r1-review

MentalFacility
21st May 2009, 23:57
Calm down, where is your professional journalist tact? Did yamaha offer you more money if you jump the R1 wagon?=)

Its a bit ironic that most riders are men, and listening to a chick tell them which bike is better, is like asking your wife's mum for what BBQ to pick. A bit out of this world..

Just kidding, yall women are too easy to excite with all these buzzy things anyway.=)

Shaun P
22nd May 2009, 00:35
:eek:
I first got to see the reworked 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 last year when it was revealed by Valentino Rossi when attending a Yamaha dinner while I was at Phillip Island for the Moto GP (and yes I got to meet Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo, Colin Edwards and James Toseland. See my column in the Nov 08 issue of Motorcycle Trader).

The bike looked hot then and now that I’ve ridden it, it's just got even hotter.
I'm not going to give away too much because I want you to read the comparison I’m writing of the YZF-R1 up against the CBR1000RR which will be published in the July issue of Motorcycle Trader.

But I am going to tell you that it definitely rides like it’s on rails, it’s got so much forward impulsion it made me scream many times with joy! :eek::eek::eek:

One of the cool things about this bike is its chip controlled throttle which has a standard setting, B option making it a slightly calmer creature and A for race mode. It’s 180hp, 206kg dripping wet and will make a cool $23,000 dent in your wallet. These are definately magnificent times to be a fan of motorcycles :Punk:

Try here for some more impulsion info? http://www.impulsiononline.com/ :shit: The last model had chip controlled throttle too but without the retard modes

Lula
22nd May 2009, 09:16
Its a bit ironic that most riders are men, and listening to a chick tell them which bike is better, is like asking your wife's mum for what BBQ to pick. A bit out of this world..

Bwwwwwaaaaahhhh! Times are a changing, but don't be afraid we (chicks) will always stand there politely smiling while listening to mans advice on how to ride :whistle:

Scouse
22nd May 2009, 09:27
I just read the latest MC trader enjoyed the feature on the Ducati street fighter this may be my next bike I'll have to see if Mr DMTD can give me a friendly price. By the way you are looking hot hot hot in those pictures in the mag Lu.

JayRacer37
22nd May 2009, 09:36

You magazine people make me sick. I have to go blagging at shops to ride new bikes and I bet they just give them to you!!! :D

That is a beautiful bike...and I'm thinking of selling the Missus car while she isn't looking to afford the deposit on one...

R6_kid
22nd May 2009, 11:16
You magazine people make me sick. I have to go blagging at shops to ride new bikes and I bet they just give them to you!!! :D

Heh, might help if people didn't know how 'well' you ride bikes. I heard you chose the 2007 ZX6R because it was the only 600 which would wheelie all the way through into 6th gear! :2guns:

JayRacer37
22nd May 2009, 11:20
Heh, might help if people didn't know how 'well' you ride bikes. I heard you chose the 2007 ZX6R because it was the only 600 which would wheelie all the way through into 6th gear! :2guns:

Hmm...Actually. You may have a point there. Tell ya what, since people saw the hillclimb video, I've had to use a fake Mo' to get demo bikes... ;)

NZsarge
22nd May 2009, 12:48
Bwwwwwaaaaahhhh! Times are a changing, but don't be afraid we (chicks) will always stand there politely smiling while listening to mans advice on how to ride :whistle:
Good to know. :laugh:

Cool, will look out for it..
Cheers for the link btw.

eelracing
22nd May 2009, 13:10

No thanks...aint buying it.(Marketing gimmicks that is)

When manufacturers started putting this shite on 1000cc bikes i know it will only be a matter of time before we will be sold two wheeled electric powered vacuum cleaner for our own good.

It makes less power than the last model FFS.

Please stop buying into and printing this crap.

NZsarge
22nd May 2009, 13:44

Please stop buying into and printing this crap.

When are you going to realize that peak horsepower is'nt the be all and end all in performance and particularly on the road which is where the vast majority of these bike get ridden.

robertydog
22nd May 2009, 14:05
Well after having a 2007 R1 and then riding the 09. I can say it took some time to wipe the smile off my face. Incrediable.

Del Fuego
22nd May 2009, 14:22
When are you going to realize that peak horsepower is'nt the be all and end all in performance and particularly on the road which is where the vast majority of these bike get ridden.

I second, third and fourth that! Trust me when you ride the bike you won't be bitching about a couple less HP, it is just so much more entertaining all round.. especially the ability to use way more throttle out of corners (without it trying to kill you) Plus it is the only Jap supersport machine that sounds good... which is not actually as silly a thing as it sounds.

PS: haha nope no speedy upload bonus from Yamaha but we do have the ability of not having to wait months after the test to get the story out there. Yay for technology! ACE!

SPman
22nd May 2009, 14:23
They sound good with a set of Scorpion pipes - still look shitty though!

YellowDog
22nd May 2009, 14:54
Never met an unhappy R1 owner - only very very happy ones.

Very well engineered bikes but just not my cup of tea.

Lula
22nd May 2009, 16:45
By the way you are looking hot hot hot in those pictures in the mag Lu.

Awwh, thanks :rolleyes:

Have you got a spare beat stick? My phone has been going hot since that bloody issue landed!

puddy
22nd May 2009, 17:32
There's only one thing wrong with the R1, and it doesn't matter which way you look at it, still the same problem .................. DMNTD has one!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

dipshit
22nd May 2009, 18:28

Oh my! How dreadful..! :shit:

FFS there are some wankers around here.

cambridgedan
22nd May 2009, 19:25
its a nice looking bike i think id be smiling whilst riding :shifty:

Cr1MiNaL
3rd June 2009, 02:06
THE MoTHER oF ALL BIKES - RESPECT

I'd be faster on mine though :)

Lula
3rd June 2009, 13:03
I'd be faster on mine though :)

Yes we all know about the Indian Wasp!

Devil
3rd June 2009, 13:31
Nice to see you quote the wet weight. Not one of the bullshit, plucked out of the air, dry figures.

Mort
3rd June 2009, 15:53
which dealers have demo bikes (I assume Red Baron do)

robertydog
3rd June 2009, 16:01
which dealers have demo bikes (I assume Red Baron do)

TSS Red Baron in Lower Hutt

robertydog
3rd June 2009, 16:03
Does anybody know of a dealer with a Black one for sale?

Lula
3rd June 2009, 17:13

Yeap here you go:

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/View/Used/YAMAHA-YZF-R1-R1-2009/31205.aspx?N=4294967249+4294967125+0

Matt black with nice shiny gold rims :love:

Lula
3rd June 2009, 17:14
Nice to see you quote the wet weight. Not one of the bullshit, plucked out of the air, dry figures.

Everyone likes it wet!

"D" FZ1
3rd June 2009, 17:20

I will have a Black one in stock in the next couple of weeks. PM me if you are interested.

carver
3rd June 2009, 17:41
anyone got a demo i can ride>?

Cr1MiNaL
3rd June 2009, 17:43

I will not stand for such blatant disgrace.... pls ffs not the R1:bye:

carver
3rd June 2009, 17:45
I will not stand for such blatant disgrace.... pls ffs not the R1:bye:

haha, fuck yeah, i want to see whats got more down low grunt, that or my k1

RantyDave
3rd June 2009, 17:56
It's 180 hp! Is there *really* anything wrong with stepping out of the top-end power arms race for a while to make a bike that has more mid range, perhaps handles better, and makes a cooler noise?

I'm all for cool noises, BTW.

Dave

Lula
3rd June 2009, 21:04

I've got the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 2009 coming! And the answer is no to that one as well.

carver
3rd June 2009, 21:08
I've got the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 2009 coming! And the answer is no to that one as well.

ah well, il just have to ride down to boyds...
oh the effort....

robertydog
15th June 2009, 15:09
Yeap here you go:

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/View/Used/YAMAHA-YZF-R1-R1-2009/31205.aspx?N=4294967249+4294967125+0

Matt black with nice shiny gold rims :love:

Thanks for that. Deal is all done.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=46301&page=532

Lula
15th June 2009, 15:44

Congrats!!! Nice one - it looks wicked :clap:

I'm interested to see what you think of it and what you think of the Chip Control Throttle.
I've written my comparison of the R1 and CBR in the July issue of Motorcycle Trader which is on sale this Saturday if you're interested.

You lucky little devil.

speedpro
15th June 2009, 18:58
That CCT has been around a while now

carver
15th June 2009, 19:00

yamaha riders do what better

posing?

Lula
15th June 2009, 19:42
That CCT has been around a while now

No kidding - what do you think of it?

robertydog
15th June 2009, 20:35
I'm interested to see what you think of it and what you think of the Chip Control Throttle.

Yep been around for a while. Had it on my 07 R1. So hoping on the 09 was straight forward.
The first time i used it i found myself chugging away. lol The response was quite different to what i was used to. Like instant. Found i got used to it after a while. You just need a bit of time.

DMNTD
16th June 2009, 07:29

posing?

Dang straight... :bleh:

robertydog
16th June 2009, 09:40
Dang straight... :bleh:

What he said:bleh:

puddytat
16th June 2009, 11:59

posing?

Ahhh, ummmm.....beating Suzuki's in WSB & Moto GP maybe?:bleh:

robertydog
16th June 2009, 13:05
Ahhh, ummmm.....beating Suzuki's in WSB & Moto GP maybe?:bleh:

Nice:first:

Bardman
19th June 2009, 12:23
Just traded my 04 model :bye:for the new one.:Punk:
Fantastic machine, sounds good, looks good, great handling, what an improvement Mr Yamaha:eek:

NZsarge
22nd June 2009, 12:21
Finally got a look at an R1 in the flesh at Manfeild this weekend, one was racing and the other was Robertydog's, both very impressive machines and look so much more impressive in the flesh, I really like the new R1's.