PDA

View Full Version : Waikato: FRIDAY 22nd MAY 2009 - Ride from Waikato through Bay Of Plenty and return

Mschvs
21st May 2009, 13:54
Tomorrow looks like it's going to be a beautiful day, so I was wondering if anyone was interested in riding from Matamata (Information Centre in the Middle of town) out to Whakatane and return through Rotorua?

http://www.wises.co.nz/dp/3/Waikato/Matamata/Broadway/331b8,6r88d/#c/31vyd/6rgwh/6/

http://www.wises.co.nz/dp/3/331b8,6r88d/Waikato/Tirau/Tirau/#c/30gvy/6rbks/6/

These two links show the approximate route I was thinking of taking.

If you are keen, let me know and you can meet up anywhere along the way.

I ride a black 2009 Kawasaki Ninja EX250.

Jenna (Mschvs)

ckai
21st May 2009, 14:08
Looks like a good trip. I would have been keen, no doubt as well as a few others, if it wasn't tomorrow.

You know it's Friday tomorrow ah?

Mschvs
21st May 2009, 14:17
Yup, I know it's Friday .... I have the day off .... would ya be keen on the Saturday 23rd instead? What's the weather looking like?

CookMySock
21st May 2009, 14:21
Hello, and welcome to KB. That is about the best introduction on KB I have seen - an invitation for a days riding! ;)

What time are you thinking of leaving Matamata? We might join you for lunch and maybe a short ride-along later. We can show you some local roads too if you like, which are sort-of on the way to Rotorua.

In Whakatane theres a biker lady who has a fish and chip shop right on the wharf frontage, if you like crispy chips, fish, and burgers and stuff. Theres bike parking right next to the outdoor tables and chairs, and loo's and everything.

Steve

Mschvs
21st May 2009, 14:31
Keen as mustard man! The whole reason I came on here was to find some other people to go riding with .... I'm just gagging to go out to Whakatane, along the coast ... and just chill out, have a coffee at 'The Bean' (best coffee in the country) or have fish and chips and sit on the beach ... just wasn't that keen to do it on my own!!

Was thinking about leaving around 10-11am.

Cheers

Mschvs

scottjpalmer
22nd May 2009, 07:58
I'm tempted, 540km though :-) http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=pukekohe&daddr=patetonga+to:matamata+to:te+puke+to:whakatan e+to:tirau+to:huntly+to:pukekohe&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=-41.244772,172.617188&sspn=53.138394,113.90625&ie=UTF8&z=9

EDIT: I'm guna pike on this one, not too keen on being hailed on this afternoon on the way home, just call me a sissy. Psychrn (see below) is off on a wee jaunt around Kaiaua etc so I'm going to join him on that.

Psychrn
22nd May 2009, 08:01
Im keen too -Id meet up at Matamata-what time to meet up??

CookMySock
22nd May 2009, 08:41
The weather is mint over here. Watch out for slipperyness in shaded patches on the Kaimais. Other than that you should be sweet. A chance of a shower or two by 6pm around Hamilton area, but none Whakas or Rotas.

Steve

Mschvs
22nd May 2009, 10:38
[QUOTE=scottpalmer;1129223197]I'm tempted, 540km though :-) http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=pukekohe&daddr=patetonga+to:matamata+to:te+puke+to:whakatan e+to:tirau+to:huntly+to:pukekohe&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=-41.244772,172.617188&sspn=53.138394,113.90625&ie=UTF8&z=9

EDIT: I'm guna pike on this one, not too keen on being hailed on this afternoon on the way home, just call me a sissy. Psychrn (see below) is off on a wee jaunt around Kaiaua etc so I'm going to join him on that.[/QUOTE

It's not 540km ... the route on the map i gave was just a guideline .... can't make a line from one place to another without wises maps picking the quickest most direct main highway route ..... was thinking about flagging coming back through Rotorua anyway ... to frikkin cold! haha We can make that up when we get to Whakatane ...

Mschvs
22nd May 2009, 10:40
The weather is mint over here. Watch out for slipperyness in shaded patches on the Kaimais. Other than that you should be sweet. A chance of a shower or two by 6pm around Hamilton area, but none Whakas or Rotas.

Steve

weather is frikkin mint here today too .... hopefully tomorrow stays the same! Just a note ... I'm not into racing there ... this is just a cruise ... besides all you ... people ... probably have bigger faster bikes then me ... so I'm not competing ... just an enjoyable ride!

ckai
22nd May 2009, 10:47
Yup, I know it's Friday .... I have the day off .... would ya be keen on the Saturday 23rd instead? What's the weather looking like?

I would have been keen but we're heading to the 'naki instead for the weekend. I haven't been on the bike in bloody near 2 weeks. I have to dust it!

I might know some others that'll be keen...

mister.koz
22nd May 2009, 16:57
weather is frikkin mint here today too .... hopefully tomorrow stays the same! Just a note ... I'm not into racing there ... this is just a cruise ... besides all you ... people ... probably have bigger faster bikes then me ... so I'm not competing ... just an enjoyable ride!

Looks like a good route, my bike's getting stuff done to it but our group will be heading out most sundays when the weather is clear, pm me if you want to join in.

ps - motowhere (http://www.motowhere.com)is quite a good site for making maps its a bit of a pain in the butt to use at times but its cool that you can save them etc i got about 25 routes from 150 - 1500km

Leyton
22nd May 2009, 20:07
Taking my GF on special birthday adventures so I will not be riding this weekend :(, At this rate I will have my full license by the next time I ride.. thats not such a bad thing with this weather...

I am too worried about the extra risk the winter has instore for riding.

CookMySock
23rd May 2009, 08:21
Wall to wall blue in the eastern bay of plenty this morning, dry road, no wind, very light frost will burn off before 9am. Watch the shaded corners before 11am ish.

Wherever anyone is riding today, have a good one!

Steve

CookMySock
23rd May 2009, 10:09
Mschvs has just txted me - all fogged in where she is - too dangerous to go anywhere. New departure time is 12 midday.

Steve

CookMySock
23rd May 2009, 16:09
Heh, this chick has no fear, and skills to match. :first:

Steve