PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Hitcher
22nd May 2009, 09:21
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/20may09_triumph2010thunderbird.htm

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/2010_Triumph_thunderbird_1600.jpg

Bounce001
22nd May 2009, 09:44
Big, heavy, bugger all HP to weight ratio and speedo on the tank which means you need to take your eyes off the road to see it. Radiator is ugly. It's basically a Rocket with a cylinder chopped off. Not Triumphs best work!

lyle
22nd May 2009, 09:49
Big, heavy, bugger all HP to weight ratio and speedo on the tank which means you need to take your eyes off the road to see it. Radiator is ugly. It's basically a Rocket with a cylinder chopped off. Not Triumphs best work!

Have you ridden one?

Bounce001
22nd May 2009, 09:56
Waiting for them to come into the country. Just traded "slugmaster" and after talking to guys at dealer, decided to go for the speed triple as would still have same trouble (e.g. no power, too much much weight etc). Will take one for a ride when they get here out of interest.

oldrider
22nd May 2009, 10:06

"Not Triumphs best work!" Really?

I don't know about that, I have been waiting for this to appear because I am shrinking fast and need a lower bike!

There is also that touch of "nostalgia" driving the curiosity along.

Does it have a belt drive? I didn't notice that!

Could be a problem, even if we minimise our gravel riding, it is still more than most Cruisers ride in a lifetime!

Thanks for the thread Hitcher.

AllanB
22nd May 2009, 10:12
I've decided to reserve my judgement (I know - that makes me not worthy of KB).

I do however look forward to hearing one ride past my house with after-market pipes :laugh:

vifferman
22nd May 2009, 10:27
"Triumph is fortunate that its rich history allows it to design bikes without looking to outside influences."

What? :confused:

Waddaya call having belt drive, an instrument nacelle on the tank, and the ignition key on the side of the bike? I'm sure that's been done before....

Bounce001
22nd May 2009, 10:34
As far as I know they are shaft drive (same as the rocket). The slugmaster handled well on the gravel so I guess these should as well. Will definitely need after market pipes to get some sort of noise out of it!

Blackbird
22nd May 2009, 10:42
I don't know about that, I have been waiting for this to appear because I am shrinking fast and need a lower bike!

Me too John:laugh: . There may come a time when I look for a cruiser and this is a refreshing alternative to the legion of lookalike V twins. Mind you, I grew up on Triumph parallel twins so I'm not exactly unbiased.:msn-wink:

FWIW, I think it's bloody gorgeous (and the Rocket 3 is bloody ugly).

Badjelly
22nd May 2009, 10:45
That's definitely not my sort of bike, but as an exercise in bringing the Triumph retro parallel-twin thing to the big-bore cruiser, it looks absolutely brilliant. It pushes all the nostalgic buttons in a functional (in a big-bore cruiser sort of way) package.

Hmm, perhaps Honda could do something similar with reference with the original CB750? Or perhaps something harking back to the Suzuki waterbottle? Or the Kwaka H2? Keep the engine configuration and appearance the same, double or triple the capacity, move the riding position lower and backwards. Now those would be interesting.

Crasherfromwayback
22nd May 2009, 11:05
As far as I know they are shaft drive (same as the rocket). The slugmaster handled well on the gravel so I guess these should as well. Will definitely need after market pipes to get some sort of noise out of it!

Nah it's belt driven.

Bounce001
22nd May 2009, 11:10
Me too John:laugh: . There may come a time when I look for a cruiser and this is a refreshing alternative to the legion of lookalike V twins. Mind you, I grew up on Triumph parallel twins so I'm not exactly unbiased.:msn-wink:

FWIW, I think it's bloody gorgeous (and the Rocket 3 is bloody ugly).
Yes Rocket is ugly too! The Thunderbird has lost the classic Triumph lines that the America and Slugmaster have. It looks like any other generic cruiser on the market.

Hitcher
22nd May 2009, 11:24
I reckon these look pretty darned cool. I will be interested to see how the inline twin performs compared to similar sized cruiser Vs.

A 22 litre tank is a great idea. I also suspect that the mph/kph speedo may well be just for the North American market. Like most bikes, it takes a brief period of time to figure out where data you need can be found.

At least Triumph doesn't appear to have skimped on suspenders and brakes, but the proof will be in the riding.

Bring on the demos!

Big Dave
22nd May 2009, 12:40

Speaking as a professional Triumph enthusiast and with all due respect: :bs:

Having followed it from the outset, spoken to some of the engineers, I expect it to be some of their most endearing work yet. Will be on my list of possible next bikes. Like the looks of it and the Rocket.

Skyryder
22nd May 2009, 13:42

The Rocket was a bike that totaly new from Trump and as such could break the mold a bit.

I've no doubt this Thunderbird will get it's admirers but I just can not get my head around a Thunderbird with a radiator. Sports bikes with performance yes.

Cruisers.................??????

Skyryder

YellowDog
22nd May 2009, 13:57
I reckon these look pretty darned cool. I will be interested to see how the inline twin performs compared to similar sized cruiser Vs.

A 22 litre tank is a great idea. I also suspect that the mph/kph speedo may well be just for the North American market. Like most bikes, it takes a brief period of time to figure out where data you need can be found.

At least Triumph doesn't appear to have skimped on suspenders and brakes, but the proof will be in the riding.

Bring on the demos!
Looks like a total 'Cool Timeless Classic' to me. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh. It may have some odd features, but it is the well proportioned design that I like. And yes it has pulled upon some of the Triumph herritage as well as copying some of the modern players.

Can anyone suggest a better looking bike in this class? I can't think of one.

Big Dave
22nd May 2009, 14:02
I've no doubt this Thunderbird will get it's admirers but I just can not get my head around a Thunderbird with a radiator. Sports bikes with performance yes.
Skyryder

My '95 Thunderbird has a radiator - so do most of the late model Metric Cruisers.
Mostly water - some oil.

It all comes back to emissions. These large capacity donks have to be more efficient to pass the gas laws. Most manufacturers determine the best way is to liquid cool them.

Big Dave
22nd May 2009, 14:07
In some ways the new T'bird harks back to the original Hinckley concept of modular design.

You will be able to flavour the bike more cruiser - tourer - or 'dragbike' - from the extras list.

oldrider
22nd May 2009, 14:16
Hey Dave, whats the real guts on belt drive and gravel?

Are they as suspect as one hears or are they just subject to the "I haven't got one" brigade!

Surely damage can be just as likely when one traverses road works etc, as it is when useing a gravel access road!

Can you help me through the :bs: on this one please! :confused:

Big Dave
22nd May 2009, 14:32
Simply odds.

There are odds that it will all line up and an errant stone will enter the mechanism and snap the belt.

They are mitigated or exaggerated by where the vehicle is ridden and the design of its enclosure.

If I lived up 20 miles of bad road a belt drive cruiser probably wouldn't be my first choice.

I live in the middle of Auckland and a smooth, clean, hassle free drive is desirable.

I do ride a quite lot of dirt roads on my XB12X - it has suitable enclosures - and there is a spare belt on my bookshelf.

It's that ol' drum we beat about suitability for purpose.

vifferman
22nd May 2009, 15:21
It all comes back to emissions. These large capacity donks have to be more efficient to pass the gas laws. Most manufacturers determine the best way is to liquid cool them.
All new vehicles need to be more efficient to pass emissions laws, so they run leaner, which makes them run hotter. They also have to meet noise emission regulations - air-cooled bikes radiate a lot of noise from the cooling fins, and don't have the benefit of a water jacket to help suppress sundry internal whirrings, clickings and whining.

Big Dave
22nd May 2009, 16:40
Interestingly air cooled Harleys still pass. Buell says they will make the grade with the next euro...whatever number he said they are up to.

Triumph went to efi on the Bonnevilles to pass muster at the next round of regs.

Conquiztador
8th June 2009, 20:00
Look! A V-Rod from Triumph!

Big Dave
8th June 2009, 21:31

If its legs are a long as a v-rods that will be very impressive indeed.

I rode the V-rod 'Muscle' for 3 weeks* and didn't get anywhere near redlining it.

Conquiztador
8th June 2009, 21:40
If its legs are a long as a v-rods that will be very impressive indeed.

I rode the V-rod 'Muscle' for 3 weeks* and didn't get anywhere near redlining it.

And I would not have a clue. Never ridden the V-Rod and most probably never will. Just the impression when looking at her. The radiator, the low front, the low bike and the long frame. But what would I know?

Zuki lover
8th June 2009, 21:47

Wow - good to see you know your bikes

Motu
8th June 2009, 21:53

You should come down here for a day - there is some clown who rides a V-rod red lining it around town.He must have a special license to ride like that....part of the license conditions is that he wears a special helmet.....

Big Dave
8th June 2009, 23:02
Bonus point if it (helmet) has a spike on it.

Motu
9th June 2009, 00:03
He does some real fancy gearchanges too....he must drive an old truck,because he double clutches up and down.When I hear him coming I turn my hearing aids down....just as a precaution...

Conquiztador
9th June 2009, 07:18
Bonus point if it (helmet) has a spike on it.

I recon a bling to the man if there is a propeller

Conquiztador
9th June 2009, 07:26
Wow - good to see you know your bikes

And for you only I rephrase it: "Look, Triumph has realised that there is a market for a low long bike with a big watercooled motor that has short forks and makes a grown man look like he was sitting on something squashed, but as they are making a point of not copying HD they have fitted her with a watercooled parallel twin, given her a nostalgic name (that they already have used once on something totally different that also had nothing to do with the original) and changed the looks a fraction, but left the things they think the american buyers are looking for like shiny bits, big tank for cruzing, beltdrive, forward controls and the speedo in the tank, then they have also made sure that the buyer with a big wallet can buy all sort of bling-bling goodies of the shelf to "customise" her to stand out from all the other ones that they will park next to at the cafe' when having their latte"...

Or for the rest of us who knows our bikes: "Look, a V-Rod from Triumph!"

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 17:04
I'll pass thanks.

-Indy

sinned
28th July 2009, 23:43
I had a good look at the Thunderbird yesterday in a dealer showroom, Vauxhall London. It is an impressive bike and one I could own. Unfortunately I was not allowed to sit on it, however nice low seat and plenty of it. The radiator doesn't look out of place as it appears it could in photos.

RentaTriumph
29th July 2009, 21:34
I had a good look at the Thunderbird yesterday in a dealer showroom, Vauxhall London. It is an impressive bike and one I could own. Unfortunately I was not allowed to sit on it, however nice low seat and plenty of it. The radiator doesn't look out of place as it appears it could in photos.

here is a mates Tbird in the US. Looks a lot better in the flesh.

Dooly
30th July 2009, 07:49
Thats nice. Love the single seat and white stripes.

Peter Smith
10th August 2009, 13:19
here is a mates Tbird in the US. Looks a lot better in the flesh.

That looks much better than the mag photo's.
I could be a really alternative for the "everyone has a Harley" group.

Supertwin Don
10th August 2009, 19:37
Had a low speed play around on one of these this weekend at the Bulldog Bash- very impressed!!
VERY torquey, low c. of.g., seemed to handle a gravel road quite well, clutchless up-changes no problem:whistle:(just don't tell the dealer!), sweet gearbox, comfy seat, but preferred the bars fitted to the Bonneville America, smooth power delivery - I think I hit 60+ in first:shit:

gilrose
10th August 2009, 20:23
the first bike o owned was a 1955 triumph thunderbird 650
beast of a machine in them days

Big Dave
10th August 2009, 22:21
Local press launch date is the 25th.

Pwalo
11th August 2009, 07:37
I know it's primarily for the US market, but I'd still like Triumph to bring back a really lightweight twin more akin to their 60s and 70s bikes.

Something around the 200kg mark with their watercooled, injected Bonnie motor would be real fun.

Devil
11th August 2009, 09:12
Going to reserve judgement till I see it at the local release party.

My perfect Triumph cruiser already exists, the America.

tri boy
11th August 2009, 10:21
Hamilton m/cycles will have a demonstrator on the floor soon, (said so in their flyer)
Would be rude not to go for a wee strop:scooter:

modboy
11th August 2009, 12:13
He must have a special license to ride like that....part of the license conditions is that he wears a special helmet.....

Bonus points if it's a chromed German helmet with a skull printed balaclava.

Lula
1st September 2009, 00:38
I took one for a test ride on the weekend...very nice...loads of tourge...very comfy...and sounds nice...turned heads....

Devil
1st September 2009, 07:54
...loads of tourge...

Does your editor cringe when you hand them a report? ;) :innocent:
Hehehe.

Checked it out closer at Holeshot last night. Very nicely done bike, better than the pictures. Will have to see how it goes!

Indiana_Jones
1st September 2009, 08:13
I was also at Holeshot taking a butcher's.

Exhuast note was ok, given how much Emmission BS they have to deal with these days, but you'd want to change the pipes.

Nice looking bike and my old man wants to take one out for a spin now lol

-Indy

Big Dave
1st September 2009, 09:10
I disagree - I think it sounds great, stock.

ratusratus
1st September 2009, 09:41
youre getting old Dave:yes:

Big Dave
1st September 2009, 09:57
youre getting old Dave:yes:

It's the best sounding stock cruiser I've ridden since the Rune.
It doesn't 'need' them.

ratusratus
1st September 2009, 12:19
ANZA changed the pipes on the demo before it went out on the floor
so i never heard it stock so i cant comment but i still think your getting old :innocent:

HenryDorsetCase
1st September 2009, 15:29
theres one at Street and Sport as well.

It had a circle of admiring people round it on Saturday morning (FRESH out of the crate) and when I picked up my bike yesterday, still acrowd of people. Not the same ones.

Really nicely proportioned, sensible ergos it looks like, beautifully put together and well finished.

Guy who was sitting on it was tossing up between an HD Dyna and the T Bird.

really great looking thing. I hope they sell heaps of them.

Big Dave
1st September 2009, 16:02
ANZA changed the pipes on the demo before it went out on the floor
so i never heard it stock so i cant comment but i still think your getting old :innocent:

I was road captain for the dealer rides and went for a burn with edward riding it.

Old I can deal with - mature....nah.
http://homepage.mac.com/david_cohen_design/.Pictures/misc4/small.jpg

HenryDorsetCase
1st September 2009, 16:52
I was road captain for the dealer rides and went for a burn with edward riding it.

Old I can deal with - mature....nah.
http://homepage.mac.com/david_cohen_design/.Pictures/misc4/small.jpg

nice SV650

:rockon::bleh:

ratusratus
1st September 2009, 17:21
Dave i might have to go to the next raid......im starting to feel like a guiness:gob:

Big Dave
1st September 2009, 17:28
Dave i might have to go to the next raid......im starting to feel like a guiness:gob:

I'm in. Should be able to wangle a test bike.

ratusratus
1st September 2009, 17:35
Talk to the edmeister about a bike

ukusa
3rd September 2009, 10:21
has anyone out there got their Thunderbird yet? I've sat on the Demo, even started it & listened to the beautiful noise, but alas no bike yet.
I was holding my breath, but I turned a funny blue colour so have had to stop doing that.

Devil
3rd September 2009, 16:37
Rode the T-bird today. Very very nice bike.
Very taught and sharp. No wallowing around. Plenty of ground clearance.
Fantastic engine, awesome noise with the shorty pipes.
Nice solid seat, no uncomfortable slouch.

Two thumbs up!

xknuts
12th September 2009, 21:14
I disagree - I think it sounds great, stock.

Gave it a rev, and I was let down. Looks better in the flesh, but the silver sheen is boring. :yawn:

It's the best sounding stock cruiser I've ridden since the Rune.
It doesn't 'need' them.

Then thats the only thing going for it :zzzz:

Rode the T-bird today. Very very nice bike.
Very taught and sharp. No wallowing around. Plenty of ground clearance.
Fantastic engine, awesome noise with the shorty pipes.
Nice solid seat, no uncomfortable slouch. Two thumbs up!

Im glad to hear its got it. Theres definitely a market for it.
Anyone know the market $?

Big Dave
12th September 2009, 21:49
Then thats the only thing going for it :zzzz:

I'll pay attention when you have ridden one. :-P

That 6 has a lot of fans. I understand why. The front end also works really well, it also has the best ground clearance of the supertankers and a real world 180 rear tyre.

Name me a better sounding stock 2010 cruiser than the Thunderbird too.

mossy1200
12th September 2009, 21:52
Three of them arrived presold at Motorad on Friday and the blue is awesome.Silver I didnt like.
I ride bonneville and the hp is not issue so these are tempting for me.
I think they are 24K so not to bad price wise.
I think I would need a 2stroke 250 as well to play on if I sold the bonneville as its all the way cruiser.
Back seat is no good(small and skinny).Wife would want to change that.
Might do it when I have seen all the kit that you can get as extras,luggage etc.

Big Dave
12th September 2009, 21:56
Three of them arrived presold at Motorad on Friday and the blue is awesome.Silver I didnt like.
I ride bonneville and the hp is not issue so these are tempting for me.
I think they are 24K so not to bad price wise.
I think I would need a 2stroke 250 as well to play on if I sold the bonneville as its all the way cruiser.
Back seat is no good(small and skinny).Wife would want to change that.
Might do it when I have seen all the kit that you can get as extras,luggage etc.

Agree with the seat comment.
Looks phat with a solo seat and rack though.

Go to Triumph web site and 'create my triumph' - even prices it in NZD.

tri boy
12th September 2009, 22:32
Heath at Ham m/cycles reckons he's sold five this last fortnight. Mostly to ex Harley riders. Something to do with "Stopping/Handling/Working as a package"
They do look a hell of alot better in the flesh. Smaller, lower, and cooler.
The R3 is a behemoth next to one.
Gunna take their demo out for a pootle real soon.

Owl
13th September 2009, 07:45
That 6 has a lot of fans. I understand why. The front end also works really well, it also has the best ground clearance of the supertankers and a real world 180 rear tyre.

The one we perved at yesterday had a 200 rear Dave. I bent down to look because it looked very fat!

I'd love one parked in the garage, but with Speedy and a Bonneville SE due at the end of the year, I don't think there'll be room.:weep:

Robbo
14th September 2009, 22:32
Here's one with twin headlights. I think it looks better than the big single.

Bounce001
15th September 2009, 13:14
Saw one "in the flesh" at Cold Kiwi and again at Hamilton Motorcycles last week. I stand by my orginal assessment - Butt UGLY. Looks like a Boulevard.

GMcC
24th September 2009, 18:05
With some decent open pipes the TBird would sound way better than any boulevard ever could!!!
I ve had 2 109s in the past and this Trumpy looks shitloads more easy on the eye Aye

Oxy
27th September 2009, 08:19
I've got the short pipes on my new T-bird and, after it was tuned at its first service, it sounds way better. Not too loud for cruising, but open it up and it barks. Also, a nice tone when engine breaking. I'm loving it!!

Big Dave
27th September 2009, 08:51
The one we perved at yesterday had a 200 rear Dave. I bent down to look because it looked very fat!

We talking thunderbird or rune?

Big Dave
27th September 2009, 08:52
Saw one "in the flesh" at Cold Kiwi and again at Hamilton Motorcycles last week. I stand by my orginal assessment - Butt UGLY. Looks like a Boulevard.

Speed triple owner calling bikes ugly. Uh.Huh.

Owl
27th September 2009, 09:32
We talking thunderbird or rune?

New Thunderbird!

Yeah, but the Speed Triple is a gorgeous kind of ugly!:msn-wink:

Big Dave
27th September 2009, 12:54
New Thunderbird!

Aye - it be 200 - the rune - to which I wuz reeferrring has a 180.

S3 - that it is.

Mekk
27th September 2009, 13:21
Here's one with twin headlights. I think it looks better than the big single.

I dunno man, I'm with the single on this one.

Can't really shake the "eyes" look.

Oxy
10th October 2009, 17:11
Took my new T-bird for a liesurely scoot from Levin to Hawera on Friday. Filled up at Hawera and rode to Upper Hutt and then Lower Hutt where I refuelled. Did an amazing 320 on the tank with an estimated 30k left in it. Cost me $26 to fill it up again.. awesome! I would have been sitting on around 110-120 most of the way cos I was riding with the missus, so showed HUGE restraint! We parted company at Pauatahanui and I managed to open it up over the Paekakariki Hill Road. Awesome handling.. very impressive! The trip home up the coast was a tad quick too. :))

carver
10th October 2009, 19:02
Heath at Ham m/cycles reckons he's sold five this last fortnight. Mostly to ex Harley riders. Something to do with "Stopping/Handling/Working as a package"
They do look a hell of alot better in the flesh. Smaller, lower, and cooler.
The R3 is a behemoth next to one.
Gunna take their demo out for a pootle real soon.

beat ya to it

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1129449868#post1129449868

NZsarge
10th October 2009, 19:13
With some decent open pipes the TBird would sound way better than any boulevard ever could!!!
I ve had 2 109s in the past and this Trumpy looks shitloads more easy on the eye Aye

I dunno, for a cruiser i've always thought the 109R was quite a good looking bike but there is'nt to much wrong with the T'Bird either and yes i've heard the one at Anza's that has the option pipes on it, they look much better and sound good too.

GMcC
13th October 2009, 19:37

You mean " Bugly " I presume !

Pot calling the kettle......................

Big Dave
13th October 2009, 21:03
You mean " Bugly " I presume !

Pot calling the kettle......................

you leave my tractor out of it!